monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Lash

Tue 12 Jun, 2018 04:53 am
Builder, you’d appreciate this. Trump bias is pretty virulent.

http://www.intellectualtakeout.org/blog/new-reuters-poll-proves-many-americans-cant-think-themselves

Excerpt:

It is generally believed that America is more polarized than ever. After all, one need only look at the fallout from the last election to test this theory: both liberals and conservatives are convinced that their ideas and principles are the best and should be followed.

But a recent survey by Reuters casts a bit of doubt on how well people really know their own minds and understand the political principles they say they adhere to. It appears that many Americans base their views on whether a particular authority figure holds them.

As Reuters explains, surveyors read a variety of political statements which Donald Trump made on the campaign trail to mixed groups of Republicans and Democrats. One group was told that each statement was made by Trump; the other omitted that important detail. In almost every case, Democrat support for the statement decreased when Trump’s name was attached, while Republican support increased.

Government-run health care is a prime example of this. When asked if government should take care of everyone, 68 percent of Democrats agreed. Only 33 percent of Republicans did the same. But when Trump’s name was thrown into the ring, both parties had a sudden change of heart. Democrats in particular exhibited a 20 percent drop in support for government-run health care.
blatham

Tue 12 Jun, 2018 05:42 am
@Blickers,
Quote:
I expected a silly exhibition in good fun for charity. I was shocked to discover both of them showed actual competence in the ring. They knew what they were doing.

I'd actually never seen that fight before though I knew it had happened. But it was brought to mind by Trump's latest behavior. He could never publicly get in the ring with anyone for fear of having his alpha pretense exposed.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 12 Jun, 2018 05:48 am
@glitterbag,
Funny imagining a Trump/Trudeau boxing match, isn't it. Or Trump with Harry Reid. I think we all find it a great pity to be deprived of the visual of Donald Trump in the ring wearing boxing shorts designed by Ivanka.
blatham

Tue 12 Jun, 2018 07:02 am
Quote:
Donald J. Trump
‏Verified account
@realDonaldTrump
Dennis Rodman was either drunk or on drugs (delusional) when he said I wanted to go to North Korea with him. Glad I fired him on Apprentice!

6:39 PM - 7 May 2014
0 Replies

revelette1

Tue 12 Jun, 2018 08:06 am
Trump, after not sleeping for 25 hours, accidentally tells the truth

Quote:
During a news conference in Singapore following the signing of his agreement with Kim Jong Un, President Trump was repeatedly pressed about how he can be sure North Korea is serious about denuclearizing, given that the agreement doesn’t include any verification provisions. He had no answers.

At one point, a reporter asked Trump whether he and Kim discussed “methods to verify” the denuclearization process. Trump responded by saying, “Well, it’s gonna be achieved by having a lot of people there, and as we develop a certain trust.”

Asked later why he thinks North Korea will follow through on promises this time when they haven’t in the past, Trump said, “well, you have a different administration. You have a different president.”

Later, however, Trump had a moment of radical honesty. Asked by a reporter what he’ll do if Kim “doesn’t follow through” on his promises, Trump openly admitted that he’ll never admit he was wrong, but will instead obfuscate.

“Honestly, I think he’s going to do these things. I may be wrong,” Trump said. “I may stand before you in six months and say, ‘hey, I was wrong.’ I don’t know that I’ll admit that but I’ll find some kind of an excuse.”

As ThinkProgress detailed, there’s nothing in Trump’s agreement with Kim “that actually defines any of the goals or how they will be achieved, just a commitment, on both sides, ‘to work toward complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.'”

In exchange, Trump has agreed to end joint U.S.-South Korean military exercises — though as is the case with denuclearization, it’s unclear how the process of ending those will be implemented.

South Korean and American military leaders were caught off guard by the agreement, which Trump admitted during the news conference was negotiated during a period where he hadn’t slept in more than a day.

0 Replies

revelette1

Tue 12 Jun, 2018 08:36 am
Quote:
1. The United States and the DPRK commit to establish new US-DPRK relations in accordance with the desire of the peoples of the two countries for peace and prosperity

2. The United States and the DPRK will join their efforts to build a lasting and stable peace regime on the Korean Peninsula

3. Reaffirming the April 27, 2018 Panmunjom Declaration, the DPRK commits to work toward complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula

4. The United States and the DPRK commit to recovering POW/MIA remains, including the immediate repatriation of those already identified.

Text of the US-North Korea agreement. NBC NEWS
gungasnake

Tue 12 Jun, 2018 08:43 am
Snowflake reaction to today's events:

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/35246344_127879454760206_1713393090099675136_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=AeGNzn_UU2zXHuQb9DsqbANsIpooCoZ7y4fsidrtb11PNDILeA_Pqw-R0KNw3S1G8hNCydWNTI5a9C_UWEN4qu_Rw6U1fbDPbI5yKV703P9QOA&oh=bb00366b25d0b6941286f7ebb102b25f&oe=5B7BBC16
0 Replies

coldjoint

Tue 12 Jun, 2018 08:53 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
It takes a whole new level of weakness to be afraid of the Canadians...

The last thing I would talk about is weakness being from France. And we are not afraid I stated the purpose was to keep our steel industry vibrant and ready in case of war.
Olivier5

Tue 12 Jun, 2018 08:59 am
@coldjoint,
LOL.... why single out steel though? Modern weapons use a lot of different elements and materials.

Come to think of it, i wonder what the impact will be on the F-35 sale prospects in Canada or Europe... They should dump that barely flying turd already.
Below viewing threshold (view)
Walter Hinteler

Tue 12 Jun, 2018 09:12 am
coldjoint wrote:
I have traced my family back to the 9th century.
Well, that's really interesting (at least for me).

Where did you find the related document? (The document of my first known ancestor is from February 25, 1287. State Archive North Rhine Westphalia, Westphalian department, Prince Bishopric Münster No 263)

coldjoint wrote:
It means nothing.
True. Just interesting.
coldjoint

Tue 12 Jun, 2018 09:19 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
True. Just interesting.

You do not have to tell me, but someone else is all excited over it. My father traveled to Scotland to trace his lineage
and what he did with any documents I do not know. My family comes from Norway in the Viking period and my ancestors were shipwrecked on the Isle of Lewis, in the 9th century where we were magically turned into Scotsmen.

Walter Hinteler

Tue 12 Jun, 2018 09:22 am
@coldjoint,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Where did you find the related document?
0 Replies

revelette1

Tue 12 Jun, 2018 10:12 am
@coldjoint,
UH, huh, "commits to work towards..." With no way to verify it, no spelled out ways and means they are going to work towards a "commitment."

You're right, big deal.
oralloy

Tue 12 Jun, 2018 10:32 am
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:
maporsche wrote:
revelette1 wrote:
http://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/tenant/amp/entityid/AAyqYcJ.img

This president is such a petulant child. Look at him pouting...

You see what you see. I see someone sitting and thinking "tell me something I don't know". And it looks like Merkel is coming up short.

Is the Japanese leader pouting too? He looks like he thinking "more of this multiculture bullshit".

I think the leftist media cherry-picked the one photograph out of a series that would be misinterpreted as confrontational and ignored the rest of the pictures.

Here's a different photo:

http://c1.staticflickr.com/2/1731/40888720480_fc7836ed03_o.jpg
Walter Hinteler

Tue 12 Jun, 2018 10:38 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
I think the leftist media cherry-picked the one photograph out of a series that would be misinterpreted as confrontational and ignored the rest of the pictures.
The photo has been done by the official photographer of the German Federal Government and the German President:
Portfolio Jesco Denzel
0 Replies

NSFW (view)
ehBeth

Tue 12 Jun, 2018 11:29 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
You're right, big deal.

It is a big deal for NK, and by extension, China. They got what they've been trying to get for 25 years - an American president to meet with them.

Hopefully it leads to something meaningful - and good for the citizens of NK.

I'm trying to be optimistic. It's up to China how this plays out long-term. They could have cut off NK any day over all these years - but didn't.
0 Replies