monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Blickers

Fri 1 Jun, 2018 09:59 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote Finn:
Quote:
Anyone defending Bee while castigating Barr is a hypocrite, and that the Entertainment industry did not descend on Bee as they did on Barr reveals a clear double-standard.
Not at all. Calling someone a c**t is not as bad as calling a person of African heritage part ape. If Roseanne had just called Valerie Jarrett a c**t she would still have her show.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Fri 1 Jun, 2018 10:03 pm
@Builder,
Now you're beomg absurd.
oralloy

Fri 1 Jun, 2018 10:18 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
If the investigation has already begun, it is too late to decide not to pursue it.
Not at all. The government can decide not to pursue an investigation any time they want.

Blickers wrote:
At that point, you can only end it.
Ending an investigation is deciding not to pursue it.

Blickers wrote:
If you end it and it is proven you did that to prevent things you don't want coming out about you or someone you like, you have committed obstruction of justice.
That is incorrect. Obstruction means impeding an investigation that the government is trying to pursue. It doesn't apply to the government deciding not to pursue an investigation.
coldjoint

Fri 1 Jun, 2018 10:22 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
and do everything in their power to foil them

Obama dramatically limited their power when fighting Islam. The troops could not shoot first and any mention of jihad was stripped from training manuals. Not to mention data bases he had destroyed that had names of suspected terrorists.

Anything else. Your pearls of wisdom from the barrel are amusing.
0 Replies

Blickers

Fri 1 Jun, 2018 10:22 pm
@oralloy,
Untrue. Ending an investigation already underway because you don't want information to come out about you constitutes obstruction of justice.
glitterbag

Fri 1 Jun, 2018 10:24 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:

glitterbag wrote:
Have you ever heard about Kim Philby?

The name sounds vaguely familiar.

Apparently you know Zip regarding spys that betrayed the US and our allies. So, if you don't familiarize yourself with history, I am wasting m y time

glitterbag wrote:
It’s entirely possible that the FBI is only concerned with protecting the president from unfriendlies and have his best interest/and the country’s stability in mind.

['Their primary concern needs to be following the President's orders.] Once again I'm staggered by your lack of awareness. No, their primary concern is keeping this course try safe......they investigate organized crime, human and child trafficking, counterfitting....oh for Christ's sake look up the website...It's likely FBI.gov figure it out yourself.

glitterbag wrote:
Do you know about the Secret Service, or do you think it’s just a bunch of agents that fetch coffee.
I know about them.

[Back in 2000 when W was still running for the Republican nomination, some clown on a messageboard posted that he was going to kill me and my family and then do the same for W and his family. I assessed (correctly) that he was a buffoon, and told him so.

Another poster called the Secret Service. It was 4AM Sunday morning, so he got their answering service. It took two minutes for a Secret Service agent to call him back. That's a pretty fast response for 4AM Sunday morning.]

The Secret Service is not on a 9 to 5 schedule. There is nothing funny or buffoonish about a threat against the President. Civilians like you can mutter your distain, but the people who protect the president don't have the luxury of a casual guffaw.

glitterbag wrote:
Do you think the Russians and the Chinese are anxious to see a much stronger USA?
Perhaps not. But at least they don't call us imperialists and spit on us the way western Europe does. ]

Yes they do and no Western Europe does not. Can you possibly be unaware of the theft of technology by the Chinese and of course the Russian, Ukrainian, Chechenor Albanian mob. Hopefully I'm not the first one to mention this to you.

glitterbag wrote:
You should get a job with Infowars.

Do they pay well? Who knows, if they do and you have no conscience or backbone, send them your resume and attach your posts from A2K. You will be a shoe-in.

Quote:
I've wondered before if it might be possible to make a good bit of cash by concocting leftist nonsense and selling books to gullible liberals.

Well you could try, but that would force you to think of people (you think you disagree with) as people. I really don't think that's in your wheel-house...But what the hell, Newt Gingrich abandoned 2 sick wives, converted to the Catholic Church, and even though his current 3 rd wife is the women he was boinking during the Monica Lewinski event, the latest Mrs. Gingrich is now the US ambassador to the Vatican. hooray,
glitterbag

Fri 1 Jun, 2018 10:26 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

Now you're beomg absurd.

NOW he's absurd???? Have you not been paying attention?
0 Replies

coldjoint

Fri 1 Jun, 2018 10:28 pm
@Blickers,
Quote:
Ending an investigation

Was the investigation ended? Case closed. Why would firing Comey stop the investigation? There are no capable agents ready to step in?( the guy looking for Bin Laden got fired, would we stop looking?) I believe it was discussed at the time and people were assured the investigation would continue.

That is a hypothetical before someone says that never happened.
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 1 Jun, 2018 11:10 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
Untrue. Ending an investigation already underway because you don't want information to come out about you constitutes obstruction of justice.
That is incorrect. Obstruction is about impeding an investigation that the government is pursuing, not about the government deciding to close down an investigation.
oralloy

Fri 1 Jun, 2018 11:12 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
Apparently you know Zip regarding spys that betrayed the US and our allies.
Depends on the individual case.

glitterbag wrote:
So, if you don't familiarize yourself with history, I am wasting m y time
If you feel that a given fact supports a point that you are trying to make, feel free to write about that fact.

glitterbag wrote:
Once again I'm staggered by your lack of awareness. No, their primary concern is keeping this course try safe......
I am fully aware. And you are mistaken. The President's primary concern is keeping us safe. The FBI's primary concern is doing what the President tells them to do.

glitterbag wrote:
no Western Europe does not.
They call us imperialists and spit on us all the time.

glitterbag wrote:
Can you possibly be unaware of the theft of technology by the Chinese and of course the Russian, Ukrainian, Chechenor Albanian mob. Hopefully I'm not the first one to mention this to you.
I've heard about it.

It was intriguing when China grabbed the copy of the primary for the W88. The great innovation of the W87 and W88 was the secondary and not the primary, so it was a curious theft. Although I guess it was what China needed in order to shave a few years off the development of their new primaries.

glitterbag wrote:
Who knows, if they do and you have no conscience or backbone, send them your resume and attach your posts from A2K. You will be a shoe-in.
I have a considerable conscience and backbone, although my conscience does not prevent me from making money off gullible liberals.

One problem though might be the fact that my actual posts on a2k are quite different from the posts that you imagine I make.

glitterbag wrote:
Well you could try, but that would force you to think of people (you think you disagree with) as people.
I don't think that would be required of me in order for me to produce nonsense and sell it to gullible people.

On the other hand, I am lazy. Producing quality nonsense might be a bit more effort than I want to expend.
0 Replies

Builder

Fri 1 Jun, 2018 11:25 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
Now you're beomg absurd.

To point out an opponent's hypocrisy is certainly not being absurd.

If you consider that tripe to be journalistic integrity, it plays out that your discernment requires a lot of tweaking, before it can be considered acceptable as a form of communication with other adults.
0 Replies

Blickers

Fri 1 Jun, 2018 11:40 pm
@oralloy,
Quote oralloy:
Quote:
Anyone defending Bee while castigating Barr is a hypocrite, and that the Entertainment industry did not descend on Bee as they did on Barr reveals a clear double-standard.

You are mistaken. The Atlantic explains the legal principle:

The fact that it would be legal for Trump to demand that Mueller be fired, or that it is legal for the president to dismiss an FBI director, would not necessarily stifle an obstruction case. There could still be obstruction if the president were using his official powers for a corrupt purpose; the crucial factor is whether he had “corrupt intent.” For example, prosecutors have discretion to decline to press charges in any particular case, but if they have taken money to do so, they have still broken the law.

“It’s not an absolute impediment that the president can fire the FBI director at will,” said Bruce Green, a law professor at Fordham University and former associate counsel in the Iran-Contra affair. “Otherwise lawful acts can be the basis of an obstruction charge if committed with corrupt intent.”
oralloy

Sat 2 Jun, 2018 12:25 am
@Blickers,
That is a legal principle about government officials using their powers to interfere with an investigation, not about the government official who is in charge of an investigation deciding to end that investigation.
Blickers

Sat 2 Jun, 2018 12:59 am
@oralloy,
From above Atlantic article:
Quote:
For example, prosecutors have discretion to decline to press charges in any particular case, but if they have taken money to do so, they have still broken the law.

Prosecutors are in charge of investigations, and they end investigations and decline to press charges all the time. But the above quote says that if they decline to press charges for a criminal purpose, they are obstructing justice. Ending an investigation or declining to press charges because it might prove you guilty of something is a criminal purpose.
oralloy

Sat 2 Jun, 2018 03:05 am
@Blickers,
Perhaps the entire obstruction statute is unconstitutional then.

It is pretty unlikely that Trump's opposition to the Russia probe has anything to do with fear of a crime being uncovered. But the mere possibility could be enough to render the law unconstitutional.
oralloy

Sat 2 Jun, 2018 03:12 am
@Blickers,
Wouldn't "taking money to not press charges" be bribery and not obstruction?
0 Replies

revelette1

Sat 2 Jun, 2018 09:03 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
It is pretty unlikely that Trump's opposition to the Russia probe has anything to do with fear of a crime being uncovered. But the mere possibility could be enough to render the law unconstitutional.

Boy, I bet Bill Clinton would wish he had you in his corner when he was being investigated for what three and half years? No, apparently that was before the whole Monica and Lewinski thing blew up.

Trump vs. Mueller is nothing like Clinton

(written in July of 17.)

In total how long was Bill Clinton investigated during his presidency?

georgeob1

Sat 2 Jun, 2018 09:30 am
@revelette1,
The various investigations of Clinton did indeed continue for a long time. The evident cause for this was the fact that different women, apparently acting independently, kept bringing up various charges including forcible rape and unwanted sexual assault; the misuse of State employees (Arkansas) to facilitate sexual exploitation of young women (Paula Jones) and misuse of government office and facilities to have sexual relations in the office with immature government employees (Monika Lewinski ). In short the lawsuits, investigations and publicity were sustained by Clinton's sustained bad behavior.
Below viewing threshold (view)
Lash

Sat 2 Jun, 2018 09:57 am
@georgeob1,
Accurate summary of events.

Clinton’s own staff had a ‘bimbo eruption’ -designated crew because there were so many, popping up constantly. Clinton was the Cosby of politics. Prolific.
0 Replies