Sun 27 May, 2018 04:36 pm
@Lash,
When has Bolton ever done that?
coldjoint

Sun 27 May, 2018 04:41 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
When has Bolton ever done that?

Your absence on a few threads is very telling. You have a chance to talk about your country on those. Bolton should not bother you a bit, at least not compared to what your government just pulled.
0 Replies

Lash

Sun 27 May, 2018 04:47 pm
@oralloy,
The moment I heard Bolton say we’re using the ‘Libyan model’, I had an image of Kadafi being dragged out of the sewer. I am willing to wager most others did as well, including Kim.

Imagine Kim’s fate at the hands of his people.
Lash

Sun 27 May, 2018 04:48 pm
@oralloy,
That Face the Nation proclamation happened days before Kim’s complete about face.
Lash

Sun 27 May, 2018 04:49 pm
@izzythepush,
I don’t know of any of his bosses that gave the order.
izzythepush

Sun 27 May, 2018 04:54 pm
@Lash,
You don't know that Trump did. He contradicted him but I don't remember him saying he'd ordered him to stfu.

You don't buy a vicious dog and then complain when it bites someone.
coldjoint

Sun 27 May, 2018 04:59 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
You don't buy a vicious dog and then complain when it bites someone.

How about importing a vicious supremacist religion and expecting it not to take over your country? That is the logic you are using. But then again, you aren't complaining. Why?
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
georgeob1

Sun 27 May, 2018 05:40 pm
I believe it is naïve in the extreme to assume that Kim was spooked by anything individual staffers might have said. Both he and Trump are considering the objective facts surrounding these issues and each has his own essential requirements for any possible eventual agreement, whether they intend to abide by it or not. Each side is currently trying to guess what those considerations may be for their opposite numbers .

Given the Kim regime's track record, they appear to have considered such agreements binding only insofar as they are useful to them in the short term , without any detectable interest in long term harmony in the region or with the U.S. Moreover they are likely acutely aware of our previous failures to enforce any of these agreements. Now faced with what may be a new, more rigorous strategy on the part of the U.S. they are recalculating. They are likely also looking beyond the Trump Presidency at what may follow.

Bottom line is they'll sign an agreement acceptable to us only if they conclude the alternatives are worse for themselves, and will abide by it only as long as that remains true. Assuming anything else is would be very foolish. North Korea is facing severe economic difficulties now (a result both of their government directed economy and the sanctions we have imposed on them), and a possible repeat of the famine they faced in the 1990s . The difference now may be that Kim has less confidence in his ability to retain ( i.e. buy) the loyalty of the military and political cadres that support the Kim regime and suppress the increasingly restive population for him. Kim Jong Un's brutal treatment of apparently slight suspicions of disloyalty among his senior officials testifies to this.
0 Replies

Lash

Sun 27 May, 2018 06:19 pm
@oralloy,
But, losing the nukes and being weakened and murdered by his people are closely connected to most people.
0 Replies

Lash

Sun 27 May, 2018 06:25 pm
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2018/05/17/trump_they_never_told_qaddafi_he_would_get_protection.html

Excerpt:
At an Oval Office meeting with the NATO Secretary General, President Trump spoke directly to Kim Jong Un following reports that the North Korean dictator was spooked by national security adviser John Bolton's comment that North Korea would follow a 'Libya 2004' style denuclearization.

Trump said reports that talks had broken down with North Korea were "fake news" and revealed that "our people are literally dealing with them right now" planning for the meeting, despite Bolton's comment.

"Well, the Libyan model isn't a model that we have at all when we're thinking of North Korea," the president said. "In Libya, we decimated that country. That country was decimated. There was no deal to keep Qaddafi. The Libyan model that was mentioned was a much different deal."

The president offered Kim a much safer scenario: "This would be with Kim Jong-un something where he'd be there. He'd be in his country. He'd be running his country. His country would be very rich. His people are tremendously industrious. If you look at South Korea -- this would be, really, a South Korean model in terms of their industry, in terms of what they do. They're hardworking incredible people."

"But the Libyan model was a much different model," he repeated. "We decimated that country. We never said to Qaddafi, oh, we're going to give you protection, we're going to give you military strength, we're going to give you all of these things; we went in and decimated him. And we did the same thing with Iraq."

"Now, whether or not we should have, I could tell you, I was against it from the beginning," he added.

"I can only say our people are literally dealing with them right now in terms of making arrangements for the meeting. So that's a lot different from what you read, but oftentimes what you read if it's not fake news, it's true. So we'll see what happens," the president also said before repeating his statement to Kim a third time:

"I think when John Bolton made that statement, he was talking about if we're going to be having a problem, because we cannot let that country have nukes. We just can't do it. So that's the way it's meant. It's really just the opposite," Trump said.

0 Replies

Builder

Mon 28 May, 2018 06:54 am
The really relevant event surrounding the current POTUS, is that his tenure has seven years to go. The dems got shafted by staff, and haven't recovered.
0 Replies

revelette1

Mon 28 May, 2018 08:30 am
Is anyone else confused as to whether the Summit is officially back on or not? Trump is now talking about it as though it was never cancelled. The US officials went to North Korea yesterday as planned. WH Sara Sanders left herself wiggle room as to the exact date. Yet as far as I know, and I know if I am wrong someone will correct me, there has been no announcement or statement or twitter from Trump saying specifically it is back on after cancelling it.
Lash

Mon 28 May, 2018 08:38 am
@oralloy,
The FTN Bolton appearance I referred to was much more recent, so I need to firm up my timeline. I was unaware he’d intoned ‘Libyan model’ so long ago.

I might have a mea culpa due you. I’ll check.

I can see by the language from all parties that the term contributed to the brakes, but my timeline looks incorrect.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Mon 28 May, 2018 10:55 am
https://c1.legalinsurrection.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/All-Gave-some-600-LI.jpg
https://legalinsurrection.com/2018/05/branco-cartoon-honor/

None of these soldiers died for the abuse of power we saw with the last administration before Trump. Remember that. We owe them the truth.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Mon 28 May, 2018 12:04 pm
Trump @ 8:58 am:
"Happy Memorial Day! Those who died for our great country would be very happy and proud at how well our country is doing today. Best economy in decades, lowest unemployment f0r Blacks and Hispanics EVER (& women for 18years), rebuilding our Military and so much more. NICE!"

This VN vet is disgusted at Trump's disrespectful and self-serving message.
Damn, this asshole has sunk to a new low.
roger

Mon 28 May, 2018 01:24 pm
@revelette1,
It's on again - Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday except when not in case of emergency.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Mon 28 May, 2018 01:48 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
Damn, this asshole has sunk to a new low.

He has to dig much deeper to go as low as Obama, ask Bergdhal. And 5 Taliban terrorists.
0 Replies