monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Below viewing threshold (view)
Walter Hinteler

Sun 27 May, 2018 12:11 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:
International law is non-binding.
How does the USA interact with other countries, be it military, or economy, or diplomatic affairs, or ... or just US-citizens travelling abroad?
coldjoint

Sun 27 May, 2018 12:13 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
How does the USA interact with other countries,

That does not change what I said. International law is non-binding.
Quote:
International law can take on many forms, and some are binding on all states, where others are only binding on those specific states that consent to it, and some aren’t binding at all.

Maybe we are both right. How about that Wally?
https://www.quora.com/Is-international-law-a-binding-law
georgeob1

Sun 27 May, 2018 12:16 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

The point of the agreement was not to solve the middle east crises nor was it about regime change. The point was to slow down rate of Iran building nuclear weapons and allowing inspectors on site. Iran was complying with both.

I agree with your first sentence above. That's why I characterized it as a negotiation without a strategy. Moreover the agreed inspection regime was insufficient to even accomplish its intended purpose.

revelette1 wrote:
I don't need to know about past agreements to keep up with the news about this current summit. I offered no particular insights other than what Moon said Kim's contention was which was more assurances from the US before they agree to denuclearize. There is a meeting between US officials today to discuss issues of substance and I assume Kim's concerns will be discussed. Otherwise what is the point of meeting with NK? If neither side gives until their own conditions are met, there is not much point in having any meetings. What would be the point?

A commendable and candid admission. However, as the American writer and philosopher, George Santayana wrote "Those who cannot remember the past (or know history) are condemned to repeat it".

I believe you may be confusing the process through which you approached the issue with the objective merits of the arguments you deuced from it. I wasn't criticizing your methods, only the merits of the argument that resulted. Had you been more mindful of the history of our dealings with North Korea I believe you would have reached a different conclusion.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sun 27 May, 2018 12:17 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
How does the USA interact with other countries,

That does not change what I said. International law is non-binding.
Okay. So any treaty done by USA is not binding in your opinion.
Why are such treaties made you think?
coldjoint

Sun 27 May, 2018 12:20 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:

I did not say that Wally, did I?
Walter Hinteler

Sun 27 May, 2018 12:25 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
I did not say that Wally, did I?
You did.
You wrote:
International law is non-binding.
georgeob1

Sun 27 May, 2018 12:26 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
The Iran Agreement was NOT a treaty that complies with our constitutional requirements. It was not even submitted to a Democrat controlled Senate by Obama because of serious opposition to the efficacy of the agreed inspection regime. It was instead an agreement by our President without the force of law.

At the end of the day international law is indeed only what nations agree to abide by. There are no widely recognized courts for the resolution of such issues, except for those where the interests of all the parties converge, and no generally accepted way to enforce them.

The EU is now encountering some of the popular and political long term consequences of bureaucratic regulation, done without local democratic process. Not in my view a very stable thing.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 27 May, 2018 12:37 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
At the end of the day international law is indeed only what nations agree to abide by. There are no widely recognized courts for the resolution of such issues, except for those where the interests of all the parties converge, and no generally accepted way to enforce them.
You certainly remember, george, at least to have heard of such terms like ius cogens, international customary law, crimes against humanity, Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties, International Aviation Law, etc. etc etc

International Law serves as a framework for the practice of stable and organised international relations.
georgeob1

Sun 27 May, 2018 12:54 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

You certainly remember, george, at least to have heard of such terms like ius cogens, international customary law, crimes against humanity, Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties, International Aviation Law, etc. etc etc

I do remember indeed. However what I wrote above remains exactly true.

georgeob1 wrote:
"At the end of the day international law is indeed only what nations agree to abide by. There are no widely recognized courts for the resolution of such issues, except for those where the interests of all the parties converge, and no generally accepted way to enforce them."
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sun 27 May, 2018 01:19 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
The EU is now encountering some of the popular and political long term consequences of bureaucratic regulation, done without local democratic process. Not in my view a very stable thing.
Missed that.

EU-law might be called 'international law'. It regulated by various EU treaties which are binding agreements between EU member countries.
The EU-member countries agreement is done according to the relevant country's legal procedure.
The local democratic process is done in relevant local, regional, state elections in those countries.
coldjoint

Sun 27 May, 2018 03:17 pm
Quote:
Why is George Papadopoulos Missing From the Steele Dossier?

These people cannot keep their lies straight. That happens when you lie.
Quote:
The House Memo noted the FBI’s claimed use of George Papadopoulos to open the July 2016 Counterintelligence Investigation into Trump-Russia:

The Papadopoulos information triggered the opening of an FBI counterintelligence investigation in late July 2016 by FBI agent Peter Strzok.

Away from the fact that Papadopoulos appears to have been set up by multiple participants, we’ve always had some questions regarding the FBI’s stated excuse.

The FBI didn’t bother to interview Papadopoulos until January 27, 2017. The conversation in question took place in May 2016. The FBI knew of this conversation no later than July 2016. If the Papadopoulos information was enough to open a FBI counterintelligence investigation in July 2016, why did the FBI wait until January 2017 to even speak with Papadopoulos.
If the Papadopoulos information was so critical, why was there no mention of either the information or Papadopoulos in any of the three Intelligence Community Reports on Russian Election Interference.
Why is there no mention of Papadopoulos in the Steele Dossier. Particularly when this document was so vital to obtaining the October 21, 2016 FISA Warrant. Paul Manafort, Carter Page, Michael Cohen, Michael Flynn and Corey Lewandowski are all listed in the Steele Dossier. But no George Papadopoulos.

I'll be waiting for an answer, which will most likely be another lie.
https://www.themarketswork.com/2018/05/25/why-is-george-papadopoulos-missing-from-the-steele-dossier/
0 Replies

Lash

Sun 27 May, 2018 04:35 pm
@izzythepush,
I would just think when a president tells his asshole subordinate to stfu, he’d stfu.