monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

coldjoint

Thu 24 May, 2018 04:15 pm
Besides Rush Limbaugh, has anyone asked why the FBI did not have an agent in the Killary campaign? Surely Russia would be trying to influence both campaigns in their interests. The fact there was no one keeping tabs on Russia in the Clinton campaign should be answered.
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 24 May, 2018 04:20 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:
Quote:
http://i.imgur.com/GeJ7E5H.jpg

a sitting POTUS actually put that in writing and signed his name...

Actually our nuclear arsenal has been substantially drawn down since the Reagan years. The days when we could launch thousands of warheads at a moment's notice are long past.

These days the US has only 800 warheads on hair-trigger alert.
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 24 May, 2018 05:02 pm
@Blickered,
Politico wrote:
Dowd’s, [Trump's lawyer at the time], statement is apparently premised in part on a spurious “unitary executive” theory, which understands the president’s Article II powers to give him completely unchecked authority to direct, control and supervise inferior officers and agencies that exercise discretionary executive power. This view has been widely rejected, including by the Supreme Court. In Morrison v. Olson, the court upheld the constitutionality of a statute authorizing the appointment of an independent counsel who were appointed by a three-judge panel and removable by the attorney general, not the president, and only for good cause. That is a far cry from the absolute right to direct and control all executive branch personnel that Dowd’s argument posits.
Morrison v. Olson dealt with a statute that provided unique protections specifically for independent councils.

This statute did not extend these protections to any other executive officials. And the statute is no longer in effect regardless.

Assuming for the moment that Morrison v. Olson properly interprets the Constitution*, this would not alter the fact that the President has unlimited power over the head of the FBI.

It's an interesting case though. Perhaps I should fall back on my previous position that, instead of firing Mueller, Trump should just rely on pardons to protect the people who have been harmed by this witch hunt.

*I do not mean to suggest that Morrison v. Olson doesn't properly interpret the Constitution. I have not formed any views on that question.
coldjoint

Thu 24 May, 2018 07:25 pm
Quote:
‘We spy with our little Eye’ A Rat-fink Called Obama

Just the title makes it worth posting. Rat- fink is too good for Obama, but the idea that he is much worse should be proven soon.

Quote:
Spying for Hillary Clinton, which was to come to reality three years later would be the foolproof way to get her to win the 2016 presidency for Obama’s third term.

Obama’s botched spy games are bringing John Brennan, James Clapper, Jim Comey, Andrew McCabe et al to everlasting public shame.

https://canadafreepress.com/article/we-spy-with-our-little-eye-a-rat-fink-called-obama
0 Replies

coldjoint

Thu 24 May, 2018 07:30 pm

Quote:
The New York Times and others now admit/defend the very Obama-era spy program that they long denied existed and that was being used against the Trump campaign in 2016. Leaving aside the stunning political scandal that is that fact, shouldn’t the Establishment Media now also admit that if the Deep State was spying on Trump all this time doesn’t that also mean it has known there was never any collusion/conspiracy etc., involving Mr. Trump and Russia? That the entire Trump-Russia collusion was a Deep State created hoax all along? It has to be one or the other right?

How about it Establishment Media? Care to also explain your willing participation in this fraud?

Every Trump hater seems to have no answer, why is that? Surely some brainwashed progressive here could eek out some sort of answer, right?
Read more at http://dcwhispers.com/ok-establishment-media-trump-supporters-want-you-to-answer-this-simple-question-regarding-spygate/#AaBRYbQwMiyceSWH.99
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 24 May, 2018 07:34 pm
Just thought I'd toss this in as a reminder of how good things can be. A Veep episode (portion) featuring Joe Biden and Michelle Obama (and others). It's brilliant in all sorts of ways.

And then you think about how anything like this would be utterly impossible now, with the present situation of which we're all aware.

Real Music

Thu 24 May, 2018 07:40 pm
Biden: GOP under Trump has abandoned American values for 'fake nationalism'

Quote:
Former Vice President Biden tore into President Trump and the Republican Party on Thursday, saying that they have abandoned American values for "phony populism" and "fake nationalism."

Biden made the comments while speaking at the Democratic party's New York state convention on Long Island.

"This is not your father's Republican Party," Biden said, according to the Associated Press.

"They are not who we are. They are not who America is. What they are doing is sending a vision of America around the world that is distorted. That is damaging. That is hurting us ... this phony population, this fake nationalism. ... It's time to say 'no more.' "

Biden, who is considered to be a potential 2020 presidential candidate, has fiercely attacked Trump since he took office. In March, Biden said that he would have "beat the hell out" of him if they had gone to high school together.

"A guy who ended up becoming our national leader said, 'I can grab a woman anywhere and she likes it,'" Biden said, referring to the "Access Hollywood" tape that includes Trump making lewd comments about women and bragging about groping and kissing them without consent.

Trump responded in a tweet, saying if they were to fight, "Biden would would go down fast and hard, crying all the way."

Biden has said he'd make a decision on a presidential run by the end of the year.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/biden-gop-under-trump-has-abandoned-american-values-for-fake-nationalism/ar-AAxLlZP?ocid=UE13DHP
coldjoint

Thu 24 May, 2018 07:54 pm
@Real Music,
Quote:
Biden:

With his youth and inexperience why would anyone listen? Shocked Not that anyone needs an excuse to ignore the old pervert. He is irrelevant, just like Killary
0 Replies

coldjoint

Thu 24 May, 2018 08:01 pm
https://theconservativetreehouse.files.wordpress.com/2018/05/crossfire-hurricane-3.jpg
A picture is worth a thousand words.
https://theconservativetreehouse.files.wordpress.com/2018/05/crossfire-hurricane-3.jpg
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 24 May, 2018 11:35 pm
@Real Music,
Quote:
Biden: GOP under Trump has abandoned American values for 'fake nationalism'
I'm not sure that the party that always wants to violate the Second Amendment has any place talking about American values.
coldjoint

Thu 24 May, 2018 11:44 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
I'm not sure that the party...

responsible for Obama should talk about anything American.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Thu 24 May, 2018 11:44 pm
@blatham,
Yeah, I know....back in the old days when Americans were not afraid of other peoples shadows.
coldjoint

Thu 24 May, 2018 11:47 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Americans were not afraid of other peoples shadows.

You have Obama to thank for that.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Thu 24 May, 2018 11:50 pm
@glitterbag,
That reminds me of Schlemihl, who sold his shadow to the devil for a bottomless wallet.
coldjoint

Thu 24 May, 2018 11:54 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
That reminds me of Schlemihl, who sold his shadow to the devil for a bottomless wallet.

Did Adolf get the two together?
glitterbag

Fri 25 May, 2018 12:00 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Something that makes me smile is that our class dunces don't know what you are talking about.
0 Replies

Blickers

Fri 25 May, 2018 12:00 am
@oralloy,
Quote oralloy:
Quote:
Assuming for the moment that Morrison v. Olson properly interprets the Constitution*, this would not alter the fact that the President has unlimited power over the head of the FBI.
The fact that Morrison v. Olsen limits the power of the president over even one executive official means that the power of the president over executive officials is not absolutely, positively complete and not to be disputed under ANY circumstances whatsoever. It has limits.

And since the Supreme Court has ruled that the presient's power has limits, that means the president's power to fire executive officials is limited by the standard that the firing cannot be carried out with evil or self-serving intent, such as firing Comey because you fear he will find something incriminating against you.

Quote oralloy:
Quote:
Perhaps I should fall back on my previous position that, instead of firing Mueller, Trump should just rely on pardons to protect the people who have been harmed by this witch hunt.
You can't pardon a videotape. Trump is on record on NBC telling Lester Holt that he fired Comey at least partially because he insisted on continuing the Russia probe. Essentially, Trump's goose is already cooked for obstruction of justice. We're all just waiting for the mountains of evidence coming from Mueller for the dozens of other areas Trump's criminally culpable for, but the obstruction is a sure thing. Unless Trump absconds to Russia first.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 25 May, 2018 12:01 am
@coldjoint,
Well, Adolf von Menzel did the illustrations in the book ...

https://i.imgur.com/mbNwcZk.jpg

... but he didn't change the story.
glitterbag

Fri 25 May, 2018 12:04 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Bravo
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 25 May, 2018 01:37 am
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
The fact that Morrison v. Olsen limits the power of the president over even one executive official means that the power of the president over executive officials is not absolutely, positively complete and not to be disputed under ANY circumstances whatsoever. It has limits.

And since the Supreme Court has ruled that the presient's power has limits, that means the president's power to fire executive officials is limited by the standard that the firing cannot be carried out with evil or self-serving intent,
Narrow limits protecting the independent council do not authorize Congress to tamper with the President's command over executive officers in general.

Blickers wrote:
such as firing Comey because you fear he will find something incriminating against you.
Comey was fired for insubordination. He was pursuing an investigation that his superiors had decided should not be pursued.

Blickers wrote:
You can't pardon a videotape.
If Mueller wants to torment a videotape, I don't think anyone will care. But all of the innocent lives that he is trying to ruin are a different matter. Any human being who is convicted in this witch hunt can be pardoned.

Blickers wrote:
Trump is on record on NBC telling Lester Holt that he fired Comey at least partially because he insisted on continuing the Russia probe. Essentially, Trump's goose is already cooked for obstruction of justice. We're all just waiting for the mountains of evidence coming from Mueller for the dozens of other areas Trump's criminally culpable for, but the obstruction is a sure thing. Unless Trump absconds to Russia first.
It's not obstruction for the person in charge of an investigation to choose not to pursue the investigation.

Even if he had actually committed obstruction, Trump would not need to flee. The Democrats have already set a precedent that it is OK for presidents to commit obstruction.

But as I said, it's not obstruction for the person in charge of an investigation to decide not to pursue it.
0 Replies