monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Debra Law

Wed 11 Jan, 2017 05:05 pm
@georgeob1,
Debra Law wrote:

georgeob1 wrote:

Debra Law wrote:

The dilemma of "dark money" plagues our politics, our economy, and our environment. It has for a very long time.

Corporations and other business entities are artificial beings. They are born with a stroke of a pen and have no conscience. They are not real persons, but have been granted the rights of real persons. In fact, they have been granted greater rights and they are in control. Is resistance futile?

Bernie Sanders' campaign has given us a glimmer of hope. Perhaps we can dismantle the "dark money" control of our government and our welfare and, ultimately, our survival. Maybe not.

Precisely the same statements could be made about Labor Unions and the many other NGOs that actively support Democrtats. (Moreover Labor unions operate generally under government enforced monopolys. Businesses don't.)

Odd that you didn't include them.

Your response was predictable. Some corporate trolls are deliberate and serve their corporate masters in exchange for money and other trolls do so simply because they fulfill the role of useful idiot.

Labor unions are evil! We got your corporate message: Workers of America, do not unite. Do not seek out better working conditions. Do not seek out a larger share of American wealth. You should struggle quietly alone. Do not unite! Unions of people are evil!!!

Your message has been delivered. But the question remains: What category of corporate troll do you occupy, Georgeob1?

georgeob1 wrote:

Did you predict it? No evidence of that. What is a "corporate troll" ? Are you a legal troll?

I have managed companies with large numbers on union employees, both construction trades and metal trades. I have negotiated several collective bargaining agreements and many formal disputes with the Steelworkers and other unions.

Work place safety is now a matter of law vigorously enforced both by government and insurance companies. That and the compensation & benefit issues that were once the unique contribution unions made in our economic & social history. Now they are part of the general fabric of our lives. Unions have degenerated to Mafia like protection rackets that feed off the public interest. Wherever workers have a real voice in union membership they quickly die (as was amply demonstrated in Wisconsin a couple of years ago). Unions are fast dissappearing from the private sector and thrive only in State and Federal government where workers are organized by government fiat, without their consent.

Georgeob1: Your modus operandi is never to respond to the actual substance of another member's post. Your modus operandi is diversion. If the topic is Trump, your standard response is ".... but, but, the Cintons". We've discussed this before.

The topic now is "dark money" and its corruption of both the Democratic and Republican political parties. Your response was ".... but, but, labor unions."

Your corporate trollish response was predictable. Diversion and false equivalencies and other logical fallacies that all carry the same message: Democrats bad. Liberals bad.

Your goal is to be divisive, which is detrimental to the vast majority of the people and beneficial to the small minority and those who make money and/or get elected by catering to the them.

I am aware of your modus operandi. Divide and conquer tactics might not work as well as you believe. After all, more and more people are becoming aware that the accumulation of vast wealth and power in the hands of a few causes grave harm to the many.

catbeasy

Wed 11 Jan, 2017 05:06 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Unions have degenerated to Mafia like protection rackets that feed off the public interest.

And they do no good at all? There is not a balance of good and bad in them?

Should we get rid of corporations because of all the BS they cause? It seems to me corporations offer balances of good and bad as well, but we expect that where there is power/money to be made, it will be exploited. But its not all one sided. Corporations provide useful goods as well as bad stuff.

I would expect much the same kind of good/bad balance from unions as from corporations.
georgeob1

Wed 11 Jan, 2017 05:07 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

It is the ways in which he will not be like any past president that pose all the problems. The violation of norms, the pretense of separating his business from his office, the rejection of transparency regarding his finances, the constant attacks on the press and media, the disinterest in policy along with the obsessions with image and reputation, the urge to bully and insult, and the daily lies are exactly the sorts of characteristics and behaviors one does not want in someone holding the Presidency.

Getting a lot of stuff lately from Politico it appears.

=> Norms constantly change and most Presidentsd, prominently including Obama, violate them.
=> Most Democrat Presidents lately have been professional politicians for most of their careers and have little to separate. Trump, by contrast has a great deal: it appears you and others of your "ilk" (to paraphrase Debra) will not be satisfied with anything short of the dissolution of his enterprises. That is not a reasonable standard and there are many examples supporting the sufficiency of what Trump has done.
=> Trump has not released his Tax returns and has been clear about not doing so. It's his right and the people get to decide. They elected him.
=> Trump has been the subject of rather fierce and continuous attacks by a generally hostile media establishment. The constant whining of Democrats and progressives (and Obama) about "talk radio" and Fox news demonstrate similar reactions to some of the same.. If you intend to dish it out you should be willing and able to take a bit of it yourself. Trump has been chartacteristically blunt and forward in his reactions, but I (and many others it seems ) find that refreshing, indeed long overdue.
=> In my view Trump has shown a far greater and more specific interest in practical public policy than has either the ever vague Clinton or the soon-to-depart, highly abstract Obama, who clearly didn't know even the basic components of his signature ACA legislation. Trump is very direct and specific about what he intends to do in terms of public policy, but eschews the pretentious lofty policy blather that lightweights and idiots like Obama prefer, but that's OK with me too.
=> Trump has a very direct, sometimes provocative and even belligerent manner of speaking that presents a very stark contrast to his recent predecessors in office. However in some ways he brings impressions of Harry Truman and Teddy Roosevelt to mind. It's a big world, and there's room for all types in it: I believe he will be a refreshing change.

I'm sure many will have prolongued attacks of the vapors over Trump, but they, we, and the world will survive.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Wed 11 Jan, 2017 05:08 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
I really do not know if America's institutions will be able to withstand the damage this guy and those who serve him will do.

They seemed to survive 8 years of Obama just fine.
georgeob1

Wed 11 Jan, 2017 05:11 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

They seemed to survive 8 years of Obama just fine.

I predict that in a year or so Blatham will be converted, see the light and vote Conservative.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Wed 11 Jan, 2017 05:22 pm
@blatham,
You weren't bothered by Obama saying “I will Fundamentally Transform America.”
blatham

Wed 11 Jan, 2017 05:30 pm
I was simply not able to watch all of the Trump presser this morning. For me, it was like sitting off the side as Jesse Ventura, drunk, was proceeding with brain surgery on a member of my family. So I missed some stuff. I missed this:
Quote:
At one point, for example, the president-elect said he wants recognition for having effectively been a freelance tech consultant during the presidential campaign: "We were told that they were trying to hack [Republicans], but they weren't able to hack. And I think I get some credit because I told Reince, and Reince did a phenomenal job, but I said I want strong hacking defense [on RNC computers]."

The idea that Trump actually gave the RNC advice about cyber-security is very hard to believe, but what struck me as significant about this throwaway line is the president-elect's preoccupation with self-aggrandizing claims.
]LINK

This man is ill. And presently, far far too few conservatives are facing up to how unstable he is and how authoritarian his impulses are. Unless some huge embarrassment or continuing series of them arise that make senior GOP members realize the dangers of continuing to support this guy are, it is going to fall to everyone else to do whatever is possible to limit the near certain damage Trump will wreak.
georgeob1

Wed 11 Jan, 2017 05:36 pm
@Debra Law,
Debra Law wrote:

Georgeob1: Your modus operandi is never to respond to the actual substance of another member's post. Your modus operandi is diversion. If the topic is Trump, your standard response is ".... but, but, the Cintons". We've discussed this before.

The topic now is "dark money" and its corruption of both the Democratic and Republican political parties. Your response was ".... but, but, labor unions."

Your corporate trollish response was predictable. Diversion and false equivalencies and other logical fallacies that all carry the same message: Democrats bad. Liberals bad.

Your goal is to be divisive, which is detrimental to the vast majority of the people and beneficial to the small minority and those who make money and/or get elected by catering to the them.

I am aware of your modus operandi. Divide and conquer tactics might not work as well as you believe. After all, more and more people are becoming aware that the accumulation of vast wealth and power in the hands of a few causes grave harm to the many.

Debra, you appear to operate iunder the misapprehension that you are empowered to define and set the limits of discorse in this conversation. You are not.

Your common tactics here include the making of distinctions in the absence of any meaningful differences, falsely suggesting they are unique faults peculiar to the object of your criticism. You then label someone who points out the reather obvious truth and the vacuity of the original assertion as "distracting" the discussion from the empty and misleading assertion that launched it. That is rather tortured nonsense.

What the hell is "dark money"? Is it unique to business contributions? Are you here trying to make a tautology of the proposition? More nonsense.

My responses are my own, they are not those of any corporation, or anyone else. You don't know my thoughts or my goals and your pretentions that somehow you do are merely stupid.

It appears you really believe or imagine you speak for the "vast majority of people". You don't do that either.
catbeasy

Wed 11 Jan, 2017 05:37 pm
@Brand X,
Quote:
This is the faction that is now engaged in open warfare against the duly elected and already widely disliked president-elect, Donald Trump

And probably with good reason? No? I don't suppose you believe that..

Actually, what's funny is that if you twist this issue, I agree with you. I think the main stream media as a whole is invested in the status quo. They prefer folks like main stream politicians and I think they prefer folks to work within the confines of the social world they wittingly and sometimes unwittingly present*.

They are a conservative institution in that way as well as being generally conservative. This is in stark contrast to the view that CNN and its ilk are 'left wing' arms of the society. I don't believe this for a moment. This completely disregards what it means to be left wing; it carves out a huge segment of ideology, leaving only a tiny iceberg tip with which partisanship is defined. Within that framework, there is left and right. But it lacks a proper referent and scope and so becomes essentially meaningless if you don't buy into the world they create. Which many of the folks on this board claim immunity from..

So, I do agree that Trump upsets that applecart, but I don't believe that the MSM hiss and spit at Trump soley because he isn't part of their group. A broken clock is right twice a day and in this case, I believe the media has good reason to dislike Trump. The 'Change' he represents is a change away from the main stream, but I don't think its a good change, it is of a higher authoritarianism, more clandestine, more insidious that what we consider main stream. I don't mean that that main stream is non threatening or good - Trump, I believe, is like them on steroids..

Everyone hates the Nazi references and I certainly don't think that we have a Germany circa 1930's on our hands, but I think that Trump stands in the same relationship to our current political group as the Nazi's did to their main stream politicians (America's current group of Nazi's sure appear to think so!). They weren't main stream, they hated the existing political structure, they were outsiders, populist, they promised to get rid of a weak system and bring power back to the people and the main stream hated them. I think this is one of the reasons why Trump is frightening.

Though the social conditions are not the same and its unlikely (though not impossible) that Trump could so undermine our institutions that we would degenerate to that level, the parallels are there (I wonder how many on this board who find Trump at least palatable would find glee if Trump began a pogrom to round up people who criticize him and a bunch of us on the board who did so were 'deported'..)

Again, its not a defense of mainstream politicians, it doesn't mean that they don't engage in the same kind of crap (its hidden for them). Its just that Trump drives this parallel home and he exacerbates it by appearing to have comparatively very little virtue. The only good side to this is that you know exactly what you are dealing with.

*although I do think of media as representing a world that doesn't really exist per se, I do think they are useful for presenting facts. They show what's occurring on video, in print. The meta data behind that revelation maybe complete BS, but there are facts to be gleaned. There just needs to be care with the interpretation, especially after the Colgate commercial..
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 11 Jan, 2017 05:40 pm
Quote:
Donald Trump’s first press conference since the summer was a surreal exercise in the assertion of immunity from accountability. He either ignored questions about his behavior, or dismissed the questions as illegitimate. He painted a chilling depiction of politics not as an ongoing process but as a one-time event, settled in his favor by the presidential campaign, once and for all.

...It is abnormal, to say the least, for a president-elect to defend his behavior by pivoting to a contrast with the candidate he defeated. But invoking Clinton served a purpose that became clear as the press conference drew on. It defined any question he disapproved of as a challenge to his legitimacy, and thus a campaign matter, and thus by definition moot. Asked about Senator Lindsey Graham’s proposal to introduce tougher sanctions on Russia, Trump harkened back to the campaign as well. “Lindsey Graham — I’ve been competing with him for a long time,” he said, “He is going to crack that 1 percent barrier one day. I didn’t realize Lindsey Graham is still at it.” Graham, of course, is not “still at it.” He is governing, not running against Trump. But to Trump, any action that might challenge him is indistinguishable from a contest for power.

Perhaps most telling of all, Trump insisted that the election validated for all time his refusal to disclose his tax returns, the only way to substantiate his claims not to have any business with Russia: “The only one that cares about my tax returns are the reporters. They’re the only ones. But no, I don’t think so. I won — I mean, I became president — no, I don’t think they care at all. I don’t think they care at all.” Likewise, the people don’t care about his precedent-smashing plans to maintain ownership of his business in an un-blind trust. Selling off the Trump business, his lawyer came on to explain, would expose the president to “unreasonable losses.”
LINK

This is how an authoritarian thinks. It's how one acts.
ossobucotemp

Wed 11 Jan, 2017 05:41 pm
@catbeasy,
My father was at a film editors union meeting the night I was born.
Instead of berating him when I grew up, I completely understand. No, I doubt that was a straight out choice between occurrences.
giujohn

Wed 11 Jan, 2017 06:08 pm
@Frugal1,
Frugal1 wrote:

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15940891_1833051206949666_277274060333668770_n.jpg?oh=afd05c7dbec9508be3ff151a35be8fd3&oe=5922CE41

This one's a keeper!
0 Replies

georgeob1

Wed 11 Jan, 2017 06:09 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

This is how an authoritarian thinks. It's how one acts.

I disagree. I think you are confusing Trump's blunt, direct manner with real authoritarianism. Obama was a real authoritarian who was sure he knew how we should think and act, and presumed to direct us accordingly. He also, like most authoritarians was unwilling (or unable) to take responsibility for his own actions or inaction, blaming everyone and everything but himself for the failures of his actions ( like the ACA) and the bad consequences of his inaction in the face of real need (as with the catastrophe in the Mideast and his lectures to us for not sufficiently recognizing the inherent "goodness" of Moslems.

Authoritartians surround themselves with passive sycophants and people dependent on his favor (Obama again), while leaders surround trhemselves with strong independent advisors who will challenge and advise him and lead in the strategy they develop. Too early to know for sure , but Trump, so far, looks good in that area too.
blatham

Wed 11 Jan, 2017 06:15 pm
Tillerson on climate change: "I don’t see it as the eminent national security threat as perhaps others do."

Quote:
A coalition of 25 military and national security experts, including former advisers to Ronald Reagan and George W Bush, has warned that climate change poses a “significant risk to US national security and international security” that requires more attention from the US federal government.

The prominent members of the US national security community warned that warming temperatures and rising seas will increasingly inundate military bases and fuel international conflict and mass migration, leading to “significant and direct risks to US military readiness, operations and strategy”.
The Guardian
0 Replies

old europe

Wed 11 Jan, 2017 06:17 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

You weren't bothered by Obama saying “I will Fundamentally Transform America.”

Maybe because he never said “I will Fundamentally Transform America.”
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 11 Jan, 2017 06:24 pm
@georgeob1,
I don't think you're a good judge of Obama's presidency. His rating is over 50%. It simply means the majority believes he's done a better job than not.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-obamas-rising-approval-ratings-compare-with-recent-presidents/
In a world economy where most countries struggled, the US continued to grow. If you understand macroeconomics, you should understand that Obama did pretty well under the circumstances. Our economy remained the strongest in the world growing to over $18 trillion.
catbeasy

Wed 11 Jan, 2017 06:28 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
My father was at a film editors union meeting the night I was born.
Instead of berating him when I grew up, I completely understand. No, I doubt that was a straight out choice between occurrences.

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand what you are saying? Your not mad at your dad for not showing up for your birth because you completely understand..what is it that you completely understand? I can think of a few responses, but not sure what you are getting at..

Also, not sure I get your meaning behind saying: No, I doubt that was a straight out choice between occurrences.(?)
roger

Wed 11 Jan, 2017 06:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You sure? Maybe he is being subconsciously being compared to our perception of Trump. In other words, Trump makes Obama look good.
blatham

Wed 11 Jan, 2017 06:30 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
I think you are confusing Trump's blunt, direct manner with real authoritarianism. Obama was a real authoritarian who was sure he knew how we should think and act, and presumed to direct us accordingly.

Encouraging fans at your rally to assault/remove protesters.
Attempting to bully the press when they criticize.
Cruelly making fun or someone with a physical disability.
Insulting perceived opponents on a daily basis.
Refusing to release tax returns and refusing to abide by the emoluments clause.
Constantly taking credit for things where no credit is deserved.
Constantly promoting oneself and turning any subject to oneself.
etc etc etc

That's bluntness. And Obama is the authoritarian.

You're over the edge, george. You either have no idea what authoritarianism is or looks like or you simply cannot honestly confront what is front of your face through tribal allegiance. Or both.
cicerone imposter

Wed 11 Jan, 2017 06:31 pm
@roger,
Ignoring Trump's background of bigotry and scamming people is your choice.
0 Replies