monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

maporsche

Thu 26 Apr, 2018 06:33 am
@Olivier5,
I believe that would be my definition of protecting minorities too. We agree. That’s not what I’m talking about though.

You understand that opinions on laws can have majority opinions and minority opinions. For example, the majority of people (probably) agree with the inclusion of birth control in someone’s health insurance. A minority of people disagree based on religious grounds. The laws in the USA allowed companies ran by religious folk to not provide birth control. The minority viewpoint was protected.

The USA has, within its government make up, its constitution, rules of the senate and the house, and jurisprudence of the legal system and the Supreme Court, carved out several ways that the minority opinion/belief is protected from laws that would impact the practice of those beliefs or even just the implementation of laws that the minority disagrees with. Things like the equal protection clause, the filibuster rules, and small state over-representation in the senate and the electoral college are examples of these protections. All of these have been used to advance or slow what what you and I may call progress.

I’m not suggesting that this is preferred or right, what I stated my opinion was is simply that in the matter of governance it appears to me that the USA’s system protects minority viewpoints to a greater degree than other countries governance systems. I don’t know if this is true or not, I said it’s just my impression and I’ve been hoping someone would help explain how other countries have better governments.
0 Replies

maporsche

Thu 26 Apr, 2018 06:37 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

In short, it's perfectly possible to have a stronger democracy than the US nowadays. It's not even that difficult.

I wouldn’t be surprised at that at all. I would just like one country to look at (ideally one that someone on the board has experience with) that is generally agreed is better governed. Which I suppose could mean a lot of things to a lot of people but I’d like to review a single country and maybe discuss that.

You seem to think that I’m irrationally defending the American system. I don’t know what I’ve said to suggest that.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 26 Apr, 2018 06:43 am
Quote:
Ronny L. Jackson, President Trump’s embattled nominee to lead the Department of Veterans Affairs, withdrew from consideration Thursday amid mushrooming allegations of professional misconduct that raised questions about the White House vetting process.
WaPo
revelette1

Thu 26 Apr, 2018 06:52 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The WH is still in the defensive stage, pretty soon they might move on, "we weren't really serious about that guy..."
Walter Hinteler

Thu 26 Apr, 2018 07:47 am
@revelette1,
Trump says for first time that Cohen represented him in Stormy Daniels case
Quote:
President Trump acknowledged Thursday for the first time that his longtime lawyer and fixer Michael Cohen represented him in efforts to silence Stormy Daniels, the adult film actress who has alleged a sexual encounter with Trump more than a decade ago.

Trump earlier this month denied any knowledge of the $130,000 payment to Daniels that was arranged by Cohen and is subject of a federal investigation, telling reporters: “I don’t know” about the payment or where Cohen got the money. And the White House repeatedly has insisted that Daniels’ allegations that she had a sexual encounter with Trump in 2006 were false.

But in an interview with Fox News on Thursday morning, Trump appeared to reveal that he had knowledge of Cohen’s payment to Daniels.

“Michael represents me, like with this crazy Stormy Daniels deal, he represented me,” Trump said. “And from what I’ve seen, he did absolutely nothing wrong. There were no campaign funds going into this.”

Daniels’s attorney, Michael Avenatti, weighed in a few minutes later on MSNBC and said that Trump had made a “hugely damaging admission.”

Trump’s comments came during a wide-ranging telephone interview with the hosts of “Fox & Friends,” the pro-Trump morning show that the president regularly watches and praises.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 26 Apr, 2018 07:54 am
@Olivier5,
Despite cuddling, smooching and flattery: Paris and the French media celebrate le huitième Président de la Vème République française as the unswerving critic Trump ... and as the urgently needed counter-proposal to the American.
ehBeth

Thu 26 Apr, 2018 09:42 am
it truly is popcorn season

http://beta.nydailynews.com/news/politics/trump-call-fox-friends-prosecutors-article-1.3956043?cid=bitly

Quote:
President Trump's bizarre phone interview with "Fox and Friends" Thursday morning was used against him only hours later by federal prosecutors in New York.

Prosecutors cited Trump's own words in papers filed shortly before a scheduled hearing before Judge Kimba Wood regarding the materials seized from Michael Cohen's law office and elsewhere.

Cohen, Trump's personal attorney, has said much of the material taken by the FBI during the April 9 raid is subject to attorney-client privilege.

Trump appeared to contradict that during his friendly interview on his favorite morning news program.

"President Trump reportedly said on cable television this morning that Cohen performs 'a tiny, tiny little fraction' of his overall legal work,'" Assistant U.S. Attorney Tom McKay wrote in the papers filed in Manhattan Federal Court.

Trump's full, rambling remarks on Cohen appeared to be an effort to put some distance between himself and his personal attorney who is reportedly under investigation for wire fraud, bank fraud and campaign finance violations.
revelette1

Thu 26 Apr, 2018 09:58 am
Trump lawyer Cohen says will take 5th in Stormy Daniels case
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Walter Hinteler

Thu 26 Apr, 2018 10:40 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Trump’s unwieldy ‘Fox and Friends’ interview, annotated
Quote:
President Trump gave his first interview in months Thursday morning on “Fox and Friends,” weighing in on topics from Ronny Jackson to Michael Cohen and Stormy Daniels to James Comey to Kanye West. Trump was often factually inaccurate, sometimes rambling, and predictably defiant. He even made some news when it comes to his role in the Daniels case.
[...]
DOOCY: Well, the admiral has officially thrown in the towel. Any idea who you might nominate next?

TRUMP: I do, actually, but I better not give it. Maybe we'll do it on my next call. I do — I think we're going to have somebody great.

DOOCY: All right.

TRUMP: Somebody that's more — you know, look, the admiral is not a politician which is what I liked, by the way.

DOOCY: Is your nominee somebody in politics right now?

TRUMP: Somebody with political capability, yes.
[... ... ...]

Walter Hinteler

Thu 26 Apr, 2018 10:46 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Federal prosecutors quickly cite Trump’s ‘Fox and Friends’ comments to help make their case on Cohen documents
Quote:
Federal prosecutors moved quickly to take legal advantage of new comments by President Trump, who said in a Fox News interview Thursday morning that his personal attorney Michael Cohen performs only a “a tiny, tiny little fraction” of the president’s legal work.

In a letter to the court filed less than three hours after Trump appeared on “Fox and Friends,” prosecutors argued those comments prove that relatively few documents seized during a search of Cohen’s home, office and hotel room earlier this month are likely to be confidential communications between Cohen and his client, Trump.

The filing came in advance of a midday hearing in front of U.S. District Court Judge Kimba Wood as lawyers for Cohen and Trump have been fighting to prevent prosecutors from having unfettered access to thousands of documents seized from Cohen, as part of what prosecutors have said is an ongoing criminal investigation into the lawyer and his personal business.

The prosecutors’ speedy incorporation of Trump’s Fox interview into legal documents provided a vivid illustration of the strategic downsides of the president’s media interviews and off-the-cuff remarks and tweets — and why lawyers urge their clients to limit public commentary about ongoing legal matters.

... ... ...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 26 Apr, 2018 10:53 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
"President Trump reportedly said on cable television this morning that Cohen performs 'a tiny, tiny little fraction' of his overall legal work,'" Assistant U.S. Attorney Tom McKay wrote in the papers filed in Manhattan Federal Court.

so the twitterverse responds

Does that mean only “a tiny fraction” of the seized documents are protected by attorney client privilege?

Laughing
Olivier5

Thu 26 Apr, 2018 11:00 am
@maporsche,
I doubt one could achieve much through a cursory comparison of say, the Neozelander vs American governance systems, but maybe somebody on a specialized blog/board could help you there. Or try and scan the 'scientific literature'.

In my way of looking at it, a historical comparison of now and then, and trend analysis within a particular country is likely to be more fruitful.
coldjoint

Thu 26 Apr, 2018 11:24 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
so the twitterverse responds

Do you mean the "mob"?
0 Replies

Olivier5

Thu 26 Apr, 2018 11:28 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
the urgently needed counter-proposal

Yes, there was nothing new in his speech but I guess there's a need to articulate a few good old truths loudly and clearly every now and then.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 26 Apr, 2018 11:30 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
TRUMP: I do, actually, but I better not give it. Maybe we'll do it on my next call.

hopefully the next call will be as useful as this one was

brilliant work #45
0 Replies

maporsche

Thu 26 Apr, 2018 11:41 am
@Olivier5,
I probably won't go through all that effort. Don't really have the time for something as in depth.

Looking at the USA, now vs then over the last 10-30 years, I think it's pretty universally accepted that generally people are more free, have higher standards of living, more leftists policies have been enacted (even by Republican administrations).

I mean, does anyone want to go back to the way things were in 1988?
Olivier5

Thu 26 Apr, 2018 11:53 am
@maporsche,
Quote:
Looking at the USA, now vs then over the last 10-30 years, I think it's pretty universally accepted that generally people are more free, have higher standards of living, more leftists policies have been enacted (even by Republican administrations).

That's 'universally accepted' by who, exactly?
maporsche

Thu 26 Apr, 2018 11:56 am
@Olivier5,
"pretty universally accepted" means by pretty much everyone.

1988-2018 - what percentage of people do you think would rather go back to 1988?
Olivier5

Thu 26 Apr, 2018 11:59 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

"pretty universally accepted" means by pretty much everyone.

1988-2018 - what percentage of people do you think would rather go back to 1988?

50-50?