monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Wed 18 Apr, 2018 07:57 am
Quote:
It’s against this backdrop that Trump decided to change his story a bit this morning, publishing this tweet:
Quote:
“Slippery James Comey, the worst FBI Director in history, was not fired because of the phony Russia investigation where, by the way, there was NO COLLUSION (except by the Dems)!”

I realize memories are often short, but they’re not that short. The president sat down with NBC News’ Lester Holt last May – one of the last interviews Trump did with a major independent news organization – and freely admitted he was motivated by concerns about the Russia scandal when he decided to oust Comey from his FBI post.

“[W]hen I decided to just do it [fire Comey], I said to myself, I said you know, this Russia thing with Trump and Russia is a made up story,” Trump said in May 2017.

About the same time as the interview, Sarah Huckabee Sanders also told reporters that by firing Comey, the White House had “taken steps” to end the investigation into the Russia scandal.
Benen

On the other hand, though, GOP rep Jim Jordan cannot for the life of him bring to mind any instance of Trump attempting to deceive. And heck, Jordan is a principled fellow. He's like Hannity in that characteristic.

ehBeth

Wed 18 Apr, 2018 07:58 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
If Halley makes another announcement of what the US will do or not do, others at the UN could understandably think or say, "we should wait until Trump speaks tomorrow..."

I suspect that's been the case for at least a year now.
blatham

Wed 18 Apr, 2018 08:00 am
Such a doucebag.
Quote:
Yesterday morning, Donald Trump delivered some brief remarks alongside Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe ahead of a closed-door meeting. According to the White House's transcript, the American president began his remarks, "I just want to say that your representatives look right out of a movie. You're absolutely perfect. So I think that's very nice. I'm very impressed."
Benen
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 18 Apr, 2018 08:11 am
Quote:
Donald J. Trump
‏Verified account
@realDonaldTrump
There is a Revolution going on in California. Soooo many Sanctuary areas want OUT of this ridiculous, crime infested & breeding concept. Jerry Brown is trying to back out of the National Guard at the Border, but the people of the State are not happy. Want Security & Safety NOW!
That's the whole problem with blacks and Asians and Spanish speakers and Muslims and Jews...they have a breeding concept.
ehBeth

Wed 18 Apr, 2018 08:24 am
http://thehill.com/homenews/media/383674-fox-news-napolitano-criticizes-hannity-over-cohen-he-cant-have-it-both-ways

Quote:
Fox News’s Judge Andrew Napolitano hit network host Sean Hannity over his comments on attorney-client privilege between him and President Trump’s personal lawyer Michael Cohen, saying that Hannity can’t “have it both ways.”

Napolitano said on Fox News’s “Outnumbered Overtime” Tuesday that Hannity can’t both claim that Cohen never represented him and still have attorney-client privilege with Cohen.

“I love him. I’ve worked with him for 20 years. He can’t have it both ways,” Napolitano said. “If he was a client, then his confidential communications to Mr. Cohen are privileged. If Mr. Cohen was never his lawyer, then nothing that he said to Mr. Cohen is privileged.”

Napolitano said that Hannity can’t have attorney-client privilege just by paying for services.

“The attorney-client privilege requires a formal relationship reduced to writing for a specific legal purpose,” he said.

“So anything that is there regarding Sean Hannity can be revealed?” Fox News host Harris Faulker asked.

“In my view, yes,” Napolitano said.

Hannity was revealed to be Cohen's third client in court Monday, after having his identity previously concealed.

The Fox News host had ripped the FBI raids of Cohen’s office, home and hotel room on his show in the days before the relationship between the two men was announced in court.

Hannity said in a statement Monday that Cohen had never represented him professionally. He said on his radio show that he “might have handed” Cohen $10 and said something along the lines of “I definitely want your attorney-client privilege on this.”

“I have occasionally had brief discussions with him about legal questions about which I wanted his input and perspective,” Hannity said in his statement, adding that the conversations were “almost exclusively about real estate."

Fox News said Tuesday that the network didn't know about Hannity’s connection to Cohen before it was revealed in court, but that the host “continues to have our full support.”
0 Replies

revelette1

Wed 18 Apr, 2018 08:34 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:

Perhaps, nevertheless, that was the point of the democrat who made the comment you spoke of.
ehBeth

Wed 18 Apr, 2018 08:38 am
let's try to get the most basic detail right

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DbBpGk_VwAAqsio.jpg

what year is it?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 18 Apr, 2018 08:41 am
@revelette1,
then I guess the Democrats are misfiring even worse than I thought
0 Replies

Sturgis

Wed 18 Apr, 2018 08:58 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
...Underplaying/ignoring that is dangerous for the Democrats.

It may well be easier to get the Democrats to swim in an acid bath, than to get them to open their eyes, ears and brains to where the Republicans might be headed down the road. They have an annoying habit of never rarely looking beyond right this moment.
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 18 Apr, 2018 09:05 am
@blatham,
So do criminals which, of course, is what Trump was referring to.
revelette1

Wed 18 Apr, 2018 11:31 am
@blatham,
I have just finished the book, "A Higher Loyalty" about two hours ago. It was easier reading than most of the other such books I have read lately. He can tell a story where it is readable and understandable.
coldjoint

Wed 18 Apr, 2018 11:35 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
He can tell a story

That is all it is, a story.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Wed 18 Apr, 2018 11:41 am
https://constitution.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Hannity-Conflict-600-LA.jpg
https://constitution.com/great-deplorable-american/
0 Replies

coldjoint

Wed 18 Apr, 2018 01:36 pm
Quote:
Hey, Rod Rosenstein, Why Can't Congress See The Memos Comey Leaked To The New York Times?

Good question, if the NYT has more privilege than Congress something is terribly wrong.
https://freedomoutpost.com/hey-rod-rosenstein-why-cant-congress-see-the-memos-comey-leaked-to-the-new-york-times/
0 Replies

roger

Wed 18 Apr, 2018 02:00 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

revelette1 wrote:
If Halley makes another announcement of what the US will do or not do, others at the UN could understandably think or say, "we should wait until Trump speaks tomorrow..."

Heh! When I hear something directly from Trump, I still wait a few days to see whether he's changed his mind.
ehBeth

Wed 18 Apr, 2018 02:48 pm
@Sturgis,
I will be glad when more of the older generation of politicians is gone. I'm liking what I'm seeing of a lot of the under 40's. Hopefully the old folks don't hold them back.
0 Replies

revelette1

Wed 18 Apr, 2018 03:21 pm
170 lawmakers sign resolution calling for Pruitt's resignation

Quote:
A group of 131 representatives and 39 senators signed a resolution introduced Wednesday that calls for Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Administrator Scott Pruitt to resign.

The resolution states that the co-signers have "no confidence in the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency and [are] calling for the immediate resignation of the Administrator."

Highlighted within the resolution are concerns about Pruitt's use of taxpayer money, "dramatic" budget cuts and waivers given to employees to work at connected companies while still employed by the EPA
revelette1

Wed 18 Apr, 2018 03:43 pm
@roger,
True, he changed his mind again.

Trump, in Another Apparent Reversal, Says Trans-Pacific Trade Pact Has ‘Too Many Contingencies’
0 Replies

coldjoint

Wed 18 Apr, 2018 03:44 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:
170 lawmakers sign resolution calling for Pruitt's resignation

Shouldn't they be doing something useful? I know the money from lobbyists of the environmental(carbon tax) organizations is very influential. Pruitt is killing them. And the noise is partisan, token Rino's aside.

Maybe they should just wish him dead?

0 Replies

coldjoint

Wed 18 Apr, 2018 04:09 pm
Quote:
American Pravda Wins Pulitzer

Pravda= NYT
Quote:
The days of the New York Times as a reliable, salient, or sane source of news have passed. It exists now as an ideological apparatus of the progressive state, shilling for the hard-Left and the bureaucrats who pander to them. It is least of all doing good work for the public. A look back at one of their worst propaganda pieces in recent history is instructive, not only on the sad state of the New York Times, but mass media overall.

https://amgreatness.com/2018/04/18/american-pravda-wins-pulitzer/
0 Replies