monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Mon 16 Apr, 2018 08:58 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Re: blatham (Post 6630334)
never mind.

Now he tells me!

What Buckley wrought is another element (it's a big story). If one removes him from the historical picture, America and conservatism would be much different indeed. Likewise Powell. Likewise Schlafly or the Kochs or Richard Vugerie, etc.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 16 Apr, 2018 09:11 am
@blatham,
Some a bit older tweets from the very stable genius:

https://i.imgur.com/j4TD1g5l.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/M15JEbul.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ERbGEdwl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/rka4ufLl.jpg
blatham

Mon 16 Apr, 2018 09:24 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Conservatism, Movement or otherwise, is hardly unique in this respect, though Blatham consistently argues that it is, assigning dark overtones to "Movement Conservatism" and its supporters, and doing so with the implicit implication that there isn't anything among self styled Progressives or Liberals that corresponds to it. In fact the similarities and parallelisms among the various political movements in this country are obvious to all. Blatham's listing of those who advocate conservative views, in a context implying there is nothing analogous among their opponents, is laughably deceptive.

I've never claimed that one can't find analogous elements between Dem history and GOP history. But to presume, as your equivalence framing would have it, that A always equals B is, again (sorry) just lazy.

Take what happened to the liberal world in the US in the sixties. That was a new phenomenon in a great number of respects. The Dem party of 1970 was not the Dem party of 1950. "Liberalism" itself was being redefined in this period. And many on the right (not only, but mainly) were very frightened at the changes they were witnessing (Che Guevara T-Shits!) I'd be happy to wager that during this period, you weren't forwarding an equivalence formulation which implicitly suggested, "nothing new here folks...same old, same old...anyone who thinks any of this is dangerous is a chicken little creature".

Parties don't stay the same and cultures don't stay the same. Bad stuff can (and will) turn up; eg McCarthy, Nixon, Cheney, Facebook. The equivalence formulation avoids almost everything of importance through refusal to make discernments.
blatham

Mon 16 Apr, 2018 09:27 am
@Walter Hinteler,
It's almost as if an amoral and compulsive liar wrote all those.
blatham

Mon 16 Apr, 2018 09:31 am
@glitterbag,
Remind me not to piss you off.
blatham

Mon 16 Apr, 2018 09:34 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
odd/not odd that the person you are responding to denies knowledge of movement conservatism. about 10 years ago, the hard-core old skool conservatives were worried that movement conservatism had lost control of the GOP (there were a fair few writing about it in 2008/2009)

Did you mean to say "had won control"?
Walter Hinteler

Mon 16 Apr, 2018 09:44 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
It's almost as if an amoral and compulsive liar wrote all those.
I'm happy that you used past subjunctive after 'as if', indicating an unreal situation.
ehBeth

Mon 16 Apr, 2018 09:48 am
@blatham,
nope

movement conservatism was in fear of losing to the tea party - they've pretty much recovered now

revelette1

Mon 16 Apr, 2018 10:06 am
@ehBeth,
I watched the interview, but I watched it on a littler TV so the close caption was smaller than I see real well. So I appreciate this transcript. Boy they were quick on the transcript. A very long read.

It is going to be hard to keep up with the narrative that Trump and supporters and allies are going with, in my opinion. He just comes off as completely credible as opposed to Trump. Even Comey talking the President's eye and hands makes sense when you put it in context of how descriptive he is in describing other events, such as the Ashcroft scene who he described as gray. When describing his race to the hospital, he included the names of the buildings he passed and described it feeling like he was in a NASCAR race. So perhaps he described the hands and eyes of Trump as things he noticed at the time, he probably noticed both because they were talked about a lot during the campaign.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Mon 16 Apr, 2018 10:28 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

I've never claimed that one can't find analogous elements between Dem history and GOP history. But to presume, as your equivalence framing would have it, that A always equals B is, again (sorry) just lazy.
Parties don't stay the same and cultures don't stay the same. Bad stuff can (and will) turn up; eg McCarthy, Nixon, Cheney, Facebook. The equivalence formulation avoids almost everything of importance through refusal to make discernments.

That equivalence nonsense is a rather worn out and deceptive rhetorical device. I did not in any way suggest that Democrat & Republican platforms, organizations the or the views of folks variously described ( with changing meanings over time) were "equivalent", though you have deceptively attempted to attach that label to my words.

The lie here is your implication that, if there is any discernible difference between them, then my assertion that both political groups have leaders, organizations, wealthy donors and private organization that support them must necessarily be wrong. That is certainly false. The laziness here is all on your part. as you, once again, use this sophistry to evade any engagement on rather obvious facts, and hide behind devices like this equivalence crap to sustain your conspiratorial theories about the supposed unique evils attached to ideas with which you don't agree and the people and groups which advance them.

The undeniable fact is that both Democrats and Republicans, including all the self styled Progressives, Liberals and Conservatives who constitute these groups, do indeed have and cultivate donors, support groups, and private organizations with interests like their own to advance their favored policies. That folks, who hold political views different from your own, plan, organize and coordinate their activities to advance these interests is no more evidence of a dark conspiracy than are the completely analogous activities of their political opponents whom you applaud and whose writings you post with such frequency here.

Such sophistry is worse than lazy: it is obviously wrong, stupid and deceptive.
blatham

Mon 16 Apr, 2018 10:29 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I should use the past subjunctive more often. I should also look it up in a dictionary.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 16 Apr, 2018 10:37 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
movement conservatism was in fear of losing to the tea party
Gotcha. I would portray that conflict differently, as an inevitable internecine fight within movement conservatism. I see the tea party as a creation of the Koch network and right wing media (Fox playing the key role). More to the point, I see it as an exercise in rebranding "conservatism" for that moment. "Trumpism" is the latest rebranding.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 16 Apr, 2018 10:39 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Such sophistry is worse than lazy: it is obviously wrong, stupid and deceptive.
Well, that's like...just your...opinion...man
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
blatham

Mon 16 Apr, 2018 10:46 am
$25 million settlement for students at Trump U
Quote:
The circumstances are nothing short of bizarre: a sitting president of the United States has written a check for $25 million to a group of Americans who credibly claimed that he ripped them off by perpetrating a fraud.

You know things are bad for a president when a story like this goes almost entirely unnoticed by the public, eclipsed by a dozen or so more pressing scandals.

...During the 2016 presidential race, Trump boasted during a debate, “This is a case I could have settled very easily, but I don’t settle cases very easily when I’m right.” After boasting that the Better Business Bureau gave Trump University an “A” rating – a claim that turned out to be a brazen lie – Trump added, “Again, I don’t settle cases. I don’t do it because that’s why I don’t get sued very often, because I don’t settle, unlike a lot of other people.” (The assertion that he doesn’t “get sued very often” also turned out to be a demonstrable falsehood.)
Benen
coldjoint

Mon 16 Apr, 2018 10:51 am
@blatham,
Quote:
$25 million settlement for students at Trump U

CI already posted this story.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Mon 16 Apr, 2018 11:08 am

What has happened that gives Comey his credibility back?
https://thehornnews.com/must-see-james-comey-destroyed-in-057-video/
0 Replies

coldjoint

Mon 16 Apr, 2018 12:03 pm
Facebook's replacement? I hope so. No censorship will freak out progressives.
Quote:
Next-Gen Social Network Launched: No Ads, No Tracking and No BS!

Quote:
MeWe is the brainchild of leading online privacy advocate and social media founder Mark Weinstein, along with co-founder Jonathan Wolfe, and the platform comes with the full backing and support of major technology innovators such as Sir Tim Berners-Lee, inventor of the World Wide Web and a member of the MeWe Advisory Board.was created by Mark Weinstein and Jonathan Wolfe. As of April 16, 2018 over 4,200 people have downloaded the MeWe app from the Apple store.

http://drrichswier.com/2018/04/16/the-next-gen-social-network-launched-no-ads-no-tracking-and-no-bs/
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 16 Apr, 2018 12:19 pm
Quote:
A Russian investigative journalist who wrote about the deaths of mercenaries in Syria has died in hospital after falling from his fifth-floor flat.

Maxim Borodin was found badly injured by neighbours in Yekaterinburg and taken to hospital, where he later died.

Local officials said no suicide note was found but the incident was unlikely to be of a criminal nature.

However, a friend revealed Borodin had said his flat had been surrounded by security men a day earlier.

Vyacheslav Bashkov described Borodin as a "principled, honest journalist" and said Borodin had contacted him at five o'clock in the morning on 11 April saying there was "someone with a weapon on his balcony and people in camouflage and masks on the staircase landing".

Borodin had been looking for a lawyer, he explained, although he later called him back saying he was wrong and that the security men had been taking part in some sort of exercise.

After he was found badly injured at the foot of the building on Thursday, regional authorities said the door of his flat had been locked from the inside, indicating that no-one else had either entered or left the flat.

The chief editor of Novy Den, where Borodin worked, said before he died that she could not rule out a crime, adding there was no reason for him to kill himself.

Harlem Désir of the international monitoring organisation OSCE said the death was "of serious concern" and called for a thorough investigation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-43781351
coldjoint

Mon 16 Apr, 2018 12:32 pm
@izzythepush,
The BBC is a propaganda wing of the the UK's propaganda machine. Making Russia the bad guy will distract the masses from the internal failure of multiculture in the UK and Western Europe. But only for a while.
Quote:
British Propaganda and Disinformation: An Imperial and Colonial Tradition

Quote:
The Syrian Kurds also reported the use of chemical weapons on them during the same time frame by Syrian rebel groups backed by the United States, Turkey, and Saudi Arabia. The usual propaganda operations – Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, Doctors Without Borders, the BBC, CNN, and Sky News – were all silent about these attacks.

https://www.strategic-culture.org/news/2018/04/16/british-propaganda-and-disinformation-imperial-and-colonial-tradition.html