monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Sun 15 Apr, 2018 07:07 pm
@farmerman,
I'm not entirely sure that's a fair demand, my good man. Particularly this evening after I had cause to visit the local street-corner apothecary. Ask me tomorrow.
0 Replies

roger

Sun 15 Apr, 2018 07:34 pm
@blatham,
Sounds kind of like a Jane Fonda apology. "I'm sorry if you were offended."
coldjoint

Sun 15 Apr, 2018 07:56 pm
Quote:
Poll: Support slips for Democratic-controlled Congress

Not unexpected. They have nothing to say.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/383244-poll-support-for-dems-slips-for-democratic-controlled-congress
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 15 Apr, 2018 08:20 pm
http://abcnews.go.com/Site/transcript-james-comeys-interview-abc-news-chief-anchor/story?id=54488723

kind of hard to deny he's a republican after reading that
coldjoint

Sun 15 Apr, 2018 08:29 pm
@ehBeth,
The big lie. America should except excuses and listen to a man with about 0 credibility. Nope, another no cigar moment for the Left.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 15 Apr, 2018 08:34 pm
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/global-opinions/trumps-foreign-policy-is-about-to-get-a-lot-more-republican/2018/04/12/4af5f37c-3e95-11e8-8d53-eba0ed2371cc_story.html

in on thursday

Quote:
After a year of ideological warfare and bureaucratic battles, the surviving members of President Trump’s national security team are about to band together with newly arriving members to pursue a traditionally Republican and hawkish foreign policy agenda. Behind the scenes, they are joining forces.

After months of searching, Vice President Pence has chosen a new national security adviser. Jon Lerner, deputy to U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley, will lead Pence’s foreign policy team and advise him on all national security issues, Pence spokeswoman Alyssa Farah told me. Significantly, Lerner will also keep his job working for Haley, dividing his time between the two principals and coordinating between the two teams.

That’s no accident. Over the past year, Pence and Haley have been coordinating closely on foreign policy, advocating long-held GOP foreign policy positions such as increased pushback against Russia, stronger pressure on North Korea, more resources for Afghanistan, a tougher position on the Assad regime in Syria and more. Now the two officials will have the same key adviser on national security.

out on Sunday - conveniently during the Comey interview

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Da3uqLjUwAA-oxe.jpg:large

everything is going so well
coldjoint

Sun 15 Apr, 2018 08:39 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
everything is going so well

As a matter of fact, it is, thanks. They will find someone to do the job. Maybe they need a unified view on say, Islam.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sun 15 Apr, 2018 09:01 pm
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Da15SvyUwAAdwvh.jpg
0 Replies

glitterbag

Sun 15 Apr, 2018 09:53 pm
@ehBeth,
People who have prepared their entire life to become professionals in their field, would be stupid to book passage on the Trump Titanic. Most of them would consider suicide a better career option than joining the Trump Sleaze-fest. Trump is the ultimate invalidator.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sun 15 Apr, 2018 10:03 pm
I watched the interview for the most part. Comey said "rule of law" without choking proves he is an accomplished liar.

And him setting himself up as a judge of what and who is moral is no more than the arrogance that put Trump in office. And that is the way it will be seen as CNN will no doubt hype this for a while, and the MSM will report like this is a majority opinion when it is not even close.

Trump will come on top again, just watch. Laughing Laughing Laughing
glitterbag

Sun 15 Apr, 2018 10:29 pm
@coldjoint,
That's entirely possible, people like you (and there are other mouth breathers) admire bullies. And you admire bullies because you fantasize that you might actually become a co-bully with the big Bully., I bet your mother would be twisted with pride knowing how you turned out.

coldjoint wrote:

I watched the interview for the most part. Comey said "rule of law" without choking proves he is an accomplished liar.

And him setting himself up as a judge of what and who is moral is no more than the arrogance that put Trump in office. And that is the way it will be seen as CNN will no doubt hype this for a while, and the MSM will report like this is a majority opinion when it is not even close.

Trump will come on top again, just watch. Laughing Laughing Laughing

coldjoint

Sun 15 Apr, 2018 10:38 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
That's entirely possible, people like you (and there are other mouth breathers) admire bullies

Your people are the bullies and support bullies. Your lecturing on anything resembling honesty and morality is very high comedy. Laughing Laughing Laughing And take note I do not need to call you names.
glitterbag

Sun 15 Apr, 2018 10:53 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
That's entirely possible, people like you (and there are other mouth breathers) admire bullies

Your people are the bullies and support bullies. Your lecturing on anything resembling honesty and morality is very high comedy. Laughing Laughing Laughing And take note I do not need to call you names.

I didn't call you any name, and you don't really know who my 'people' are, do you? You have a zealot's imagination and paint things in black or white. Thank God, most of the adults don't (because they have a vast amount of life experience)

But listen Frosty, I normally have you on ignore (You probably know why) so I cannot engage with you anymore, you tend to embarrass yourself and even if you don't get it, I do. I diminish myself when I entertain your nonsense....I don't like that fault......even though you are asking for it. Have a nice life and stick with the meds.
coldjoint

Sun 15 Apr, 2018 11:10 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Have a nice life and stick with the meds.

You keep saying goodbye and never go. What do you think that does for your resolve? Conquer your weakness. Laughing Laughing Laughing
farmerman

Mon 16 Apr, 2018 05:27 am
@coldjoint,
I like what Comey said, " we shouldnt go through impeachment with Trump, that just takes us off the hook". Intad, we should vote him out to show our disapproval. "morally Unfit" .Of course I see Trump is already nicknaming Comey in one of hiis signature responses. I think Trump has passed "Old Buck" as the worst president our Republic has endured
revelette1

Mon 16 Apr, 2018 06:22 am
@farmerman,
I agree as well, besides an impeachment would only leave Pence, as good as it sounds, there is no way we could impeach the bunch, even impeaching Trump is doubtful.

On the other hand, I don't have as much faith in our voting public, too well I remember the whole Bush vs. Kerry presidential election. Gimmicks and untruthfulness seem more times than not to win the day; even the disaster of Iraq, Bush won. Something similar to the whole "swiftboat boat" thing will probably be used. Unless enough normal established republicans turn on him because perhaps by then, the trade wars will have gotten in gear or something else like that, I can see Trump being re-elected.
revelette1

Mon 16 Apr, 2018 06:31 am
As for the interview, I think the interview won't change any thinking. Trump's base will remain lock-in step with him. But regardless of Comey and admitted problem with his ego, he came off as someone who tried to do what he felt was right and he feels everything he did was right.

I am going to buy the book just so I can get a better understanding of how that went down concerning the announcement of the re-opening of Hillary and email investigation and why it wasn't announced there was a probe into ties to the Trump campaign and the Russia interference in our elections.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 16 Apr, 2018 07:39 am
@roger,
Yes. But she looked really good saying it.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 16 Apr, 2018 08:29 am
@blatham,
https://i.imgur.com/pRCPbaZl.jpg
Quote:
The accusation, delivered without any evidence or corroboration, directly contradicts a report issued Friday by Trump’s Treasury Department, which did not accuse either country of artificially lowering the value of its currency. Instead, the report found China’s currency had recently moved in a direction that should benefit U.S. exporters.

The Twitter post also could serve as Trump’s first criticism — even if done indirectly — of new Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome H. Powell. The second half of Trump’s post mentions the United States “raising interest rates,” followed by the two-word sentence “Not acceptable!”

It couldn’t be immediately determined if Trump meant Russia and China’s behavior was unacceptable, the Fed’s decision to raise interest rates was unacceptable, or the whole dynamic was unacceptable.
WaPo
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 16 Apr, 2018 08:47 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
I missed the entire story of "movement Conservatism", could you please give me the bumper sticker version of what it is you mean (remember my ADD)
A bumper sticker version isn't really possible or wouldn't have much value. I'll do a little treatment but it would be much better to read the wikipedia page on Movement Conservatism (it's quite good).

As preface, any political phenomenon we see in the fifties or seventies or later all have antecedents culturally and politically. Eg, "libertarianism" is a phenomenon arising in part from the ethos of the those ethnic/cultural groups that settled much of the south and the Appalachians along with the necessary independence of settler life coming up against inevitable local civic organization (the "**** off and leave me alone" dynamic).

There are a number of historical, cultural, and ideological threads here but it's not a big mistake to think of the Goldwater movement as a key landmark on the path to the present. That movement brought together anti-government and anti-eastern elite sentiment, John Bircherism, corporate financial greed and fundamentalist Protestantism (we'll skip the racial aspects). From that point on, Evangelical and Catholic extremists became increasingly involved in politics and they became increasingly organized to pursue their goal of shaping society in a Godly image (often while becoming very, very wealthy for doing God's work).

Another thread is what happened in the 60s, how that frightened conservative establishment figures (not just them, of course), and their response that followed. The historians I've read validly carbon date this response to the Lewis Powell memo (lots of info available) which insisted that free enterprise was at risk and that conservative leaders (upper class, educated establishment conservatives) had to build up a large array of institutions that would promote conservative ideas, train and place conservatives in positions of leadership, etc. Business interests are part of this story.

Another thread was the influence of truly massive amounts of funding from an interconnected group of millionaires/billionaires in support of the above efforts. The Koch family has been near the center of this crowd from the beginning and now, as I see it, is the single most powerful/influential element in the modern GOP.

The last element or thread is more recent - the rise of a separate right wing media universe that has captured a significant portion of the US population in an epistemological bubble and which works in support of movement conservative persons and ends.

Hope you have a big bumper.

0 Replies