Not.
0 Replies

Frugal1

Tue 10 Jan, 2017 04:34 pm

The democrats were silent...

0 Replies

blatham

Tue 10 Jan, 2017 06:10 pm
Re those celebrities with their pomposity and overblown sense of self-importance

This statement is from Tom Barrack who is heading Trump's inaugural committee quoted at Politico.
Quote:
“We're fortunate in that we have the greatest celebrity in the world, which is the president-elect,” Barrack said.
georgeob1

Tue 10 Jan, 2017 06:24 pm
@blatham,
Well that didn't help much.
blatham

Tue 10 Jan, 2017 06:37 pm
I don't think anyone has brought this story up.
Quote:
Trump national security pick Monica Crowley plagiarized multiple sources in 2012 book
LINK

If you read the article, you'll see she's lifted other people's work in some 50 or so instances and many of these are substantial copies. No attribution or credit was given to those she plagiarized. She apparently passed it all off as work she'd done herself. The book had no end notes of bibliography (you usually want to avoid books without them if the book contains claims about facts and historical incidents).

This is a serious ethical failing. Not only is she taking credit for the work and words of others, she's doing it in a book which she's selling for her own financial gain which makes it arguably a much worse case than, for example, a university student doing it to get through a course or get a better mark.

But if you get caught doing this at a university, you're pretty certain to be expelled from that university. Many have been. Working reporters are usually fired for plagiarism too, and are certain to be fired for this many serious instances.

As I said, this is a matter of ethics and integrity. It's not just the theft but a matter of acting appropriately as a writer of a work of this sort. You ought to want to give your reader's access to the sources you use and make it easy for them to verify you have not altered the source's information/words.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 10 Jan, 2017 06:39 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Well that didn't help much.

Perhaps, but I expect you aren't under the misapprehension that Trump himself would have any problem whatsoever with this description.
0 Replies

Frugal1

Tue 10 Jan, 2017 06:46 pm
Quote:
We're fortunate in that we have the greatest celebrity in the world, which is the president-elect

He does outclass the whining Golden Globe celebrities that believe their **** doesn't stink.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 10 Jan, 2017 07:17 pm
Quote:
Classified documents presented last week to President Obama and President-elect Trump included allegations that Russian operatives claim to have compromising personal and financial information about Mr. Trump, multiple US officials with direct knowledge of the briefings tell CNN.

The allegations were presented in a two-page synopsis that was appended to a report on Russian interference in the 2016 election. The allegations came, in part, from memos compiled by a former British intelligence operative, whose past work US intelligence officials consider credible. The FBI is investigating the credibility and accuracy of these allegations, which are based primarily on information from Russian sources, but has not confirmed many essential details in the memos about Mr. Trump.

The classified briefings last week were presented by four of the senior-most US intelligence chiefs — Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, FBI Director James Comey, CIA Director John Brennan, and NSA Director Admiral Mike Rogers….

The two-page synopsis also included allegations that there was a continuing exchange of information during the campaign between Trump surrogates and intermediaries for the Russian government, according to two national security officials.
LINK

This is far too thinly sourced to accept as is. So don't. But keep an eye on it and look for further credible data. That last point might be very important.
Builder

Tue 10 Jan, 2017 07:31 pm
@blatham,
Nothing like a lot of hindsight, hey blatham?

Allegations flying left-right-and even centre.

In Australia, we say it like this; "Shut the gate!! The horse has bolted...!!!".
blatham

Tue 10 Jan, 2017 08:15 pm
@Builder,
It's not uncommon to make discoveries or find evidence about some current event well after it has happened as with recent knowledge gained of Nixon's subterfuge.
Builder

Tue 10 Jan, 2017 08:28 pm
@blatham,
It was known all the way over here in Australia that Nixon "probably" hired the mafiosa to level the table for his ascension. Where there's smoke, there's usually fire.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Tue 10 Jan, 2017 08:28 pm
@Builder,
How pithy (I hope I didn't lisp)
Builder

Tue 10 Jan, 2017 08:34 pm
@glitterbag,
Our sardonic irony is often lost on the rest of the English-speaking world.
giujohn

Tue 10 Jan, 2017 08:36 pm
@catbeasy,
catbeasy wrote:

Quote:
So your exercise is moot.

Its moot for you. We disagree.

Moot is moot.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Tue 10 Jan, 2017 08:45 pm
@Builder,
Yeah, I've heard you think you possess sardonic irony. Good one.
Builder

Tue 10 Jan, 2017 08:48 pm
@glitterbag,
My fans are all the way over here? I'm chuffed, really.
0 Replies

Frugal1

Tue 10 Jan, 2017 09:11 pm

Obama remains a potent and often divisive force in our society.
Builder

Tue 10 Jan, 2017 09:29 pm
@Frugal1,
You'd think he'd be winding down for a holiday, but I guess the script went out the window when his replacement changed genders and parties, just like that.
0 Replies

NSFW (view)
RABEL222

Tue 10 Jan, 2017 10:01 pm
https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/3259984/Trump-Intelligence-Allegations.pdf

This is an allegation. But posted on a news site claiming that the national security people have pointed this out to tRump and he refuses to accept it. He still loves Putin. Maybe this is why.