monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Lash

Fri 13 Apr, 2018 07:44 pm
Nods.

It’s stupid and evil, but at least it’s multilateral. The ignominy of that comment does not escape me.
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 13 Apr, 2018 07:56 pm
Associated Press wrote:
BREAKING: Loud explosions light up skies over Syrian capital, heavy smoke as President Trump announces airstrikes.
http://twitter.com/AP/status/984963878420451333

Agence France-Presse wrote:
#BREAKING Huge blasts heard in Syria's capital
http://twitter.com/AFP/status/984961337766961153
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
coldjoint

Fri 13 Apr, 2018 10:06 pm
@oralloy,
Good to know. Good luck.
Sturgis

Fri 13 Apr, 2018 11:03 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
I'm now well into the bauxite phase.

You didn't take a short detour-break at titanium? You missed a fun time!
oralloy

Fri 13 Apr, 2018 11:10 pm
@coldjoint,
I have a generator that will power the furnace, refrigerator, and well pump. Running it for an hour or so several times a day makes a blackout pretty bearable.
Builder

Sat 14 Apr, 2018 01:52 am
@oralloy,
Fully off-grid here, with dual backup and LiFePO4 storage. I do have a genset, but haven't had to put crank case oil in it as yet. Diesel job, so we can use any type of oil.
roger

Sat 14 Apr, 2018 02:17 am
@Builder,
Also had to set up an invertor, I imagine.
blatham

Sat 14 Apr, 2018 06:28 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
(interesting in the sense of a woman saying fine)
This doesn't help me much. I'm never sure what you guys mean when you use the term.
blatham

Sat 14 Apr, 2018 06:46 am
@Sturgis,
Quote:
You didn't take a short detour-break at titanium? You missed a fun time!
Necessary as a simple matter of prudence. US border officials are already in a Code Red state of mind when they punch me in on their computers. If I were to set off the metal detectors at the airport, there would be weapons drawn and screaming and families from Ohio hitting the floor in panic and probably some over-zealous security dude mistaking what I meant when I explained that the metal is inside of me. "No! Not up there! I have a new hip!"
0 Replies

jcboy

Sat 14 Apr, 2018 06:46 am
So tRump Pardoned Scooter Libby. It's a clear signal to his minions. Scooter stayed loyal to Cheney and took the hit for him. tRump is telling his minions "stay loyal to the boss, protect the boss and you have nothing to fear."

He's appallingly juvenile.
blatham

Sat 14 Apr, 2018 07:01 am
Oh goody. The political news gets critically bad for the guy in the WH and suddenly he's a War President. But I suppose we ought to be thankful. At a not-too-distant period in time, leaders of Trump's sort would herd the city's population into a huge coliseum to watch lions chase down and rip out the entrails of foreigners and the traitors and Jews and witches who have caused the crops to fail or to make the baby of an 11 year old female look exactly like the Great Leader.
blatham

Sat 14 Apr, 2018 07:12 am
@jcboy,
Yes. That's very obviously the central motivation here. And most of his base will buy this story because then, as now, that base was and is so deeply submerged in a sense of tribal victimization (promoted by right wing voices every hour of every day - which is not an exaggeration).

But Trump is not bright enough to pick this "precedent" example. So I'm wondering if the notion was forwarded by someone in his legal team or by someone at Fox or some other sociopathic dipshit like Gingrich.
0 Replies

revelette1

Sat 14 Apr, 2018 07:20 am
@blatham,
Lord knows, I despise Trump, but, I don't think the US response to Syria is wag the dog. Also, it was not just the US. Personally I think a strong response has been long overdue and hope they carry through with an actual plan in place with goals to be reached and not a one time hit. We will see I guess.

US, UK, France strike Syria to punish Assad for suspected poison gas use
revelette1

Sat 14 Apr, 2018 07:23 am
@blatham,
Quote:
This doesn't help me much. I'm never sure what you guys mean when you use the term.

Not speaking for all women, but when I say it to my husband, I mean, "fine, do whatever you want, not worth arguing about..." Only I shorten it to "fine."
blatham

Sat 14 Apr, 2018 07:32 am
Quote:
A greater proportion of those surveyed in a poll out Friday find former FBI Director James Comey more believable than President Donald Trump, a finding that arrives as the president openly blasted Comey as an "untruthful slime ball," seemingly in response to claims in his forthcoming memoir.

Results from The Washington Post/ABC News poll showed respondents find Comey more believable than Trump by a 3-to-2 margin, 48 percent to 32 percent. Seven percent said neither was more believable, 2 percent said both were equally believable, and 11 percent said they had no opinion on the matter.
Politico

Better than the other way around. Still, that 32% is scaring the **** out of anyone paying attention.
blatham

Sat 14 Apr, 2018 07:36 am
@revelette1,
Ahhh. The "You're going golfing on our anniversary?!" sense of "fine". Gotcha. I'm familiar with that usage.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Sat 14 Apr, 2018 07:37 am
@revelette1,

when we were growing up, my sister would sometimes say "fiiiiine-nuh!" to me.

i think it roughly translated as 'if you weren't my brother, i would rake my fingernails all down your face..."
revelette1

Sat 14 Apr, 2018 07:44 am
@Region Philbis,
It depends on my mood I guess, if I really don't feel like getting into an argument, I won't say fine with an attitude which, since my husband has known me since we were kids, he would pick up in an instant. As for my brother, I bite my nails, couldn't do much harm.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 14 Apr, 2018 08:03 am
@Region Philbis,
That "fine...nuh" use is quite interesting. It's function is termination or desired termination of a conversation where the speaker is without the power to get his/her way (the emotional content being anger and frustration).

The really scary use of "fine" is when it is delivered with no emotional affect whatsoever but which somehow manages to hint at the soundtrack from Silence of the Lambs.
0 Replies