monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

coldjoint

Thu 12 Apr, 2018 11:17 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Wally, there is not that much to know about Islam. There is no great mystery in the literature or the religion. It is straight forward and unashamed of the hate it teaches and the superiority it proclaims.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 12 Apr, 2018 11:19 am
Mike Pompeo's confusing answer about whether Trump asked him to intervene in the Russia probe
Quote:
So, with Pompeo under oath, Sen. Bob Menendez (D-N.J.) sought clarity on the episode. He asked Pompeo whether Trump had made such a request. And Pompeo offered three distinct responses:

- “I’m not going to talk about the conversations with the president that I had.”
- “I don’t recall what he asked me that day, precisely.”
- “He has never asked me to do anything that I consider remotely improper.”

As CNN's Jim Scuitto notes, those statements are somewhat contradictory. If you don't remember what Trump asked, how do you know it wasn't improper?
WaPo
Walter Hinteler

Thu 12 Apr, 2018 11:43 am
@Walter Hinteler,
What I really like is the shelf life of Trump's political strategies (usually a tweet-length): at first regarding the war with Syria/Russia, now Trump weighs rejoining Trans-Pacific Partnership amid trade dispute with China
Quote:
President Trump told top administration officials Thursday to look at rejoining the Trans-Pacific Partnership, the multination trade agreement he pulled the United States out of shortly after taking office.

Rejoining the pact would be a major reversal as Trump escalates a trade conflict with China. The 11-nation Pacific rim trade deal was intended by the Obama administration as a way to counter China’s influence, but Trump criticized the pact as a candidate and pulled the United States out of the pact in early 2017.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 12 Apr, 2018 11:48 am
@coldjoint,
So you would prefer not only to bomb Syria but every other country with a Muslim population?
coldjoint

Thu 12 Apr, 2018 11:56 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
So you would prefer not only to bomb Syria but every other country with a Muslim population?

Never said that. Let's make that clear. Try a question that is not loaded after you finish beating your wife.
revelette1

Thu 12 Apr, 2018 12:02 pm
Quote:
In a White House known for chaos, the process of developing the U.S. response to the Syrian government’s alleged latest gas attack was proceeding with uncharacteristic deliberation, including several national security briefings for President Trump. 

But then Wednesday morning, Trump upended it all with a tweet — warning Russia, the Syrian government’s backer, to “get ready” because American missiles “will be coming, nice and new and ‘smart!’ ”

White House advisers were surprised by the missive and found it “alarming” and “distracting,” in the words of one senior official. They quickly regrouped and, together with Pentagon brass, continued readying Syria options for Trump as if nothing had happened.

On Thursday, Trump left further questions. In a tweet, he added doubt to suggestions that military action in Syria was on a fast track.

“Never said when an attack on Syria would take place. Could be very soon or not so soon at all!” he wrote in a tweet that also noted U.S.-led battlefield successes against the Islamic State.

The Twitter disruptions were emblematic of a president operating on a tornado of impulses — and with no clear strategy — as he faces some of the most consequential decisions of his presidency, including Syria, trade policy and the Russian interference probe that threatens to overwhelm his administration.

“It’s just like everybody wakes up every morning and does whatever is right in front of them,” said one West Wing aide, speaking on the condition of anonymity to share a candid opinion. “Oh, my God, Trump Tower is on fire. Oh, my God, they raided Michael Cohen’s office. Oh, my God, we’re going to bomb Syria. Whatever is there is what people respond to, and there is no proactive strategic thinking.”

The president has been particularly livid in the wake of Monday’s FBI raids on the home, office and hotel room of Cohen, his longtime personal attorney. In the days after, he has seriously contemplated a shake-up at the Justice Department in the hopes of curbing the expanding probe by special counsel Robert S. Mueller III, whose referral led to the Cohen raids. Trump is considering firing Deputy Attorney General Rod J. Rosenstein, who is overseeing the probe, several people familiar with Trump’s private comments said.

By Trump’s admission Wednesday on Twitter, Mueller’s investigation into Russian election interference and possible obstruction of justice has consumed “tremendous time and focus.” And in denying allegations of wrongdoing, the president seemed to equivocate in a parenthetical aside: “No Collusion or Obstruction (other than I fight back),” he wrote. 

On trade, meanwhile, the president is grappling with the potential economic fallout of his threatened tariffs, especially within the agriculture sector, which could harm some of the rural states that carried him to electoral victory — all against the backdrop of his ongoing effort to renegotiate the North American Free Trade Agreement more favorably for the United States.

Trump also finds himself facing the surprise retirement of House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.), signaling more turmoil for the fractious Republican Party heading into the midterm elections. 

A lot more at the source WP
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Thu 12 Apr, 2018 12:21 pm
@coldjoint,
I didn't write that you said it.

But since in your opinion, Isalam is "straight forward and unashamed of the hate it teaches and the superiority it proclaims", I asked.

Because I got confused by another opinion of yours that the attack was only done to get the USA do the dirty work and to believe that Assad was behind it. (Assad is an Alawi, a syncretic sect of the Twelver branch of Shia Islam, as you know.)
oralloy

Thu 12 Apr, 2018 12:40 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Trump weighs rejoining Trans-Pacific Partnership amid trade dispute with China
Quote:
President Trump told top administration officials Thursday to look at rejoining the Trans-Pacific Partnership, the multination trade agreement he pulled the United States out of shortly after taking office.

Rejoining the pact would be a major reversal as Trump escalates a trade conflict with China. The 11-nation Pacific rim trade deal was intended by the Obama administration as a way to counter China’s influence, but Trump criticized the pact as a candidate and pulled the United States out of the pact in early 2017.

Oooh. Nice.

That's good news.
maporsche

Thu 12 Apr, 2018 12:51 pm
@oralloy,
That would be good news.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Thu 12 Apr, 2018 01:17 pm
Trump supporters can still laugh.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Thu 12 Apr, 2018 01:23 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
But since in your opinion, Isalam is "straight forward and unashamed of the hate it teaches and the superiority it proclaims

That is also Muhammad's opinion, and he is the first and last word in Islam. Would you like to say that is not true?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 12 Apr, 2018 01:34 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

I am trying to figure out why he would have put the gun in the toilet in the first place.

I can only imagine it was holstered in a way which meant using the toilet was uncomfortable without removing the gun first.
0 Replies

thack45

Thu 12 Apr, 2018 02:06 pm
Mr Whipple's probably not around anymore, but I if he were, I bet he could find work these days with a slightly altered slogan

https://clickamericana.com/wp-content/uploads/mr-whipple-charmin.jpg
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 12 Apr, 2018 02:45 pm
Quote:
Former congressman Steve Stockman (R-TX) has been found guilty on 23 felony counts for misspending $1.25 million of donor funds on sometimes-bizarre personal and campaign expenses, according to the Texas Tribune.
TPM ... the Tribune reporting is Here
0 Replies

coldjoint

Thu 12 Apr, 2018 03:01 pm
Quote:
WATCH: Nancy Pelosi Suffers Serious Face Spasms, Confuses Words

The next speaker of the House? You want to talk about unfit?
https://thepoliticalinsider.com/nancy-pelosi-health-suffers-face-spasms/
maporsche

Thu 12 Apr, 2018 03:12 pm
@coldjoint,
Didn't sound/look too bad to me? Did you watch the video?

I mean, compared to Trump, she speaks like a professional orator.
roger

Thu 12 Apr, 2018 03:29 pm
@maporsche,
So does my cat!
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 12 Apr, 2018 03:59 pm
This right wing radio dude sounds like a wonderful human
Quote:
Wayne Allyn Root: ‘Robert Mueller Has Penis Envy’

Right-wing radio host, commentator, conspiracy theorist and Donald Trump–obsessed sycophant Wayne Allyn Root kicked off his radio program yesterday with an epic rant in which he declared that the recent FBI raid on the office of President Trump’s personal attorney, Michael Cohen, is rooted in “penis envy” on the part of special counsel Robert Mueller.

“Robert Mueller has probably never had sex in his life,” Root said. “I know he has never had sex with a beautiful woman. Did you ever see the angry look on Robert Mueller’s face? Robert Mueller needs sex badly and he is so jealous that Donald Trump was a billionaire playboy and obviously had sex with the most beautiful women in the world.”
RWW
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 12 Apr, 2018 06:38 pm
Definitely today's Must Read
Quote:
James Comey’s memoir: Trump fixates on proving lewd dossier allegations false
WP

As you'll read, Trump and those around him had no interest nor concern in Russian involvement in the election nor in future elections. All they cared about was how to spin.

As I've noted before, this was exactly the approach of Bush's people as detailed by John Dilulio in his letter to Ron Suskind (Dilulio's famous phrase in the letter was "the Mayberry Machiavellis" Read it here

Why would two Republican administrations be so concerned with spin and so uninterested in serious political problems? Because modern conservatives do not care about government. They do not like government. Government "is the problem". Thus the first goal they have is to gain and hold power so that others in the national community cannot construct or expand or protect systems of governance. That's why spin is the keystone for them. One can't have a governing philosophy if one hates government. It's why they have fallen to the moral depths we see each day now. It is why democracy is now acutely under threat.
blatham

Thu 12 Apr, 2018 06:49 pm
From the piece above
Quote:
Comey writes that Obama sat alone with him in the Oval Office in late November and told him, “I picked you to be FBI director because of your integrity and your ability. I want you to know that nothing — nothing — has happened in the last year to change my view.”