monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Below viewing threshold (view)
Blickers

Mon 26 Mar, 2018 09:38 pm
@oralloy,
Quote oralloy:
Quote:
But instead he wasted all of his political capital trying to pass a pointless ban on pistol grips. And we defeated him.

Pistol grips were not the big issue of the modified assault weapons. It's the fact that they can shoot 2 or 3 shots a second. And the fact that the gun lobby and supporters work tirelessly to ensure that the seriously disturbed can get their hands on them.
coldjoint

Mon 26 Mar, 2018 09:45 pm
@Blickers,
Quote:
work tirelessly to ensure that the seriously disturbed can get their hands on them.

Or the authorities making sure one disturbed person kept his. Look at the cause.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 26 Mar, 2018 10:59 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
Pistol grips were not the big issue of the modified assault weapons. It's the fact that they can shoot 2 or 3 shots a second.

That is incorrect. Pistol grips are at the center of assault weapons legislation. There are other features too, like flash suppressors. But those features are much like pistol grips in that there is no justification for banning them.

Rate of fire has nothing to do with assault weapons bans. And semi-auto assault weapons do not have a rate of fire any greater than any other semi auto weapon.

But I do encourage the gun control movement to repeatedly exhaust themselves on pointless measures that the NRA can easily defeat them on. Every ounce of energy that they waste fighting for a ban on pistol grips is energy that won't be used to advance some other gun control measure.

All of the energy that these young people have to push some sort of legislative agenda is going to be swallowed up by the NRA, just like all of the political energy from Obama's second term was devoured.
oralloy

Mon 26 Mar, 2018 11:01 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
And the fact that the gun lobby and supporters work tirelessly to ensure that the seriously disturbed can get their hands on them.

We don't work for that outcome. We work to protect the rights of people who are no danger to anyone.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Mon 26 Mar, 2018 11:04 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
This tabloid BS is beneath ALL of us, including you.

Shouldn't you be telling the MSM that? And as liberated as everyone is here does it matter if Obama is a homosexual? Or should I say bi-sexual?

You and a few of the others seem to enjoy tossing in red herrings as if you can actually distract other people. Don't you ever just feel terribly foolish? You really should feel foolish, because you are not very good at subtle or clever or even informed, you HAVE to be painfully aware of that. You especially stink at subtle and clever. The stuff you parrot sounds like Alex Jones or a Westboro Baptist Church congregant. But what the hell, a few of the boys think you might be a bright bulb, and maybe it softens the shame of it. Everybody should have a few admirers.
0 Replies

Blickers

Mon 26 Mar, 2018 11:55 pm
@oralloy,
Rate of fire and the number of bullets fired before reloading is necessary is indeed the issue, despite your attempt to deny.

A rifle which can fire two or three shots a second combined with an ability to fire 15, 20 bullets or more before reloading is obviously a more dangerous weapon than a rifle which can get off fewer shots per second or has to reload after only 6 or 8 shots.

As usual, the side which is losing on the facts seeks to dodge and make artificial distinctions where none exist. And the gun supporters have been on here complaining about laws to prevent the mentally ill from getting their hands on rifles which shoot 2 or 3 bullets per second which can shoot 15, 20 or more bullets before the need to reload. It is a major issue with gun supporters, and the rest of us have to witness the horror of what it leads to.
blatham

Tue 27 Mar, 2018 05:57 am
When even Ted Olsen thinks you are a whack-a-doodle president...
Quote:
Former George W. Bush administration solicitor general Ted Olson last week turned down President Trump's entreaties to join his legal team for the Russia investigation. And now Olson is explaining what seems to be his reasoning.

It probably won't surprise you.

“I think everybody would agree: This is turmoil, it's chaos, it's confusion, it's not good for anything,” Olson said Monday on MSNBC's “Andrea Mitchell Reports.” “We always believe that there should be an orderly process, and, of course, government is not clean or orderly ever. But this seems to be beyond normal.”
revelette1

Tue 27 Mar, 2018 06:18 am
Quote:
To social conservatives, particularly evangelicals, the Stormy Daniels saga presents an ethical quandary: The president they’ve tasked with defending Christianity against the “secular left” allegedly cheated on his third wife, just months after she gave birth, with an adult film star.

Of course, Trump’s spiritual shortcomings (from accusations of rampant marital infidelity to alleged sexual assault to almost daily public insults of perceived enemies on Twitter) have been long known — and largely set aside by the conservative Christians who voted for him because they saw him as a more workable alternative than Hillary Clinton.

To ignore or excuse the Daniels saga, some evangelical Christians are even using a biblical comparison to explain their continued support for Donald Trump: the story of King David. As one conservative talk show host put it, Trump and King David were both men “after God’s own heart.”

King David was considered one of the great kings Jewish & #Christian history, called a man after God’s heart, yet he had his loyal military man killed to cover up an affair with his wife.

Quote:
Elizabeth King
@preciouspackrat

King David was considered one of the great kings Jewish & #Christian history, called a man after God’s heart, yet he had his loyal military man killed to cover up an affair with his wife.

Christians aren’t perfect they’re just #forgiven #StormyDaniels https://patriotpost.us/opinion/54927-why-conservative-christians-are-sticking-with-trump

7:31 PM - Mar 23, 2018

Quote:
Mark Bagby on twitter:
Replying to @Preciouspackrat

King David was Christian? Who knew?

The story of King David, a sinner who remained beloved by God and favored by his people, has been a favorite of evangelical Christians who support Donald Trump, even during the Republican primaries. Their reasoning is that like King David, Donald Trump has committed adultery, and like King David (or President Franklin Roosevelt, as one columnist wrote), Trump can be a great (and moral) leader even after having committed adultery.

Vox

I added that reply because I thought it was funny.
0 Replies

revelette1

Tue 27 Mar, 2018 06:25 am
@Blickers,
You can go round and round with oralloy, it won't do any good. He is like some kind of defective robot repeating stuff over and over again.
engineer

Tue 27 Mar, 2018 06:32 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

When even Ted Olsen ...

Ted Olsen has a great rep as a principled lawyer from the right. He championed marriage equality in California because he felt that a conservative reading of the Constitution guarantees that right and I think his advocacy made a lot of conservatives think twice about their opposition to it. While I doubt he and I agree on much, I don't see dissing him.
maporsche

Tue 27 Mar, 2018 06:52 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

It's no worse than the salacious garbage in the Steele Dossier. Besides, who cares if Obama had a homosexual one night stand?

The Steele dossier was published as a whole document and most news agencies dismiss the pissing details at the very least as unverified. If they mentioned them at all. Regardless of all that you’ve never seen ME make any reference to it to misalign DT. It’s below me at least.

I don’t believe that you think that’s Obama had a cocained fueled one-night stand with another man AND THEN HAD HIM MURDERED (that’s the second part of this conspiracy that you must have left out purposefully...Or charitably, not known about).

But sure. I guess this form of whataboutism worked on me, so why not keep it up.
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 27 Mar, 2018 07:50 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
You can go round and round with oralloy, it won't do any good. He is like some kind of defective robot repeating stuff over and over again.

Only a liberal could argue that telling the truth was a defect.
MontereyJack

Tue 27 Mar, 2018 08:30 am
@oralloy,
Quote:

Only a liberal could argue that telling the truth was a defect.

Only oralloy would argue that what he tells is the truth.
Lash

Tue 27 Mar, 2018 08:48 am
@MontereyJack,
*BUZZER*
0 Replies

hightor

Tue 27 Mar, 2018 11:24 am
Quote:
Blankenship is one of four Republicans with criminal convictions running for office this year, several of whom may well win their party’s nominations. And there is a much broader list of Republican politicians facing credible accusations of huge ethical lapses who nonetheless emerged victorious in G.O.P. primaries, ranging from Roy Moore to, well, Donald Trump.

To be sure, there have been plenty of crooked Democrats. But usually the revelation of their crookedness ended their political careers. What’s striking about today’s Republican landscape is that people who are obvious crooks, con men or worse continue to attract strong support from the party’s base. Moore narrowly lost in Alabama’s special election, but he received 91 percent of the votes of self-identified Republicans.

NYT
coldjoint

Tue 27 Mar, 2018 01:33 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Republican landscape is that people who are obvious crooks,

What was Killary?
MontereyJack

Tue 27 Mar, 2018 02:01 pm
@coldjoint,
Not a crook. That is Republican disinformation pure and simple.