monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Finn dAbuzz

Sat 24 Mar, 2018 11:24 am
@blatham,
Psychological problems should be, and are, a barrier to enlistment unless the psychological problem happens to be a favorite of Democrats.

Google Gender Dysphoria if you care about alternate positions.
coldjoint

Sat 24 Mar, 2018 11:27 am
@blatham,
Quote:
So really the question that poses itself is whatever is going on in your head and whatever sources you've been attending to that lead you to a claim that has no apparent basis in anything other than prejudice.

As your view is common sense? Soldiers have enough problems, babysitting weirdos should not be one of them. You call it whatever you wish, and spout crap you only believe in because it furthers your agenda. Taking our principles of non-discrimination to this extreme is only to put a strain on the system called the military, and weaken the country.

Also using our own laws to discredit our own culture is self defeating, unless you hate that culture. Think about it, or should I say try to think about it.
0 Replies

hightor

Sat 24 Mar, 2018 11:31 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I don't understand your point.

The author is describing specific attitudes about the history of communism and the efforts currently being made to control the narrative. I see no "blatant" contradiction if the entire article is considered as a whole.
ehBeth

Sat 24 Mar, 2018 11:32 am
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DZEaF3sVQAABMRO.jpg

1,000,000 in DC

Quote:
Paul McCartney, who is marching in NYC, tells CNN: "One of my best friends was killed in gun violence right around here, so it's important to me.." It's been 37 years since John Lennon was gunned down outside of his apartment in Manhattan.
coldjoint

Sat 24 Mar, 2018 11:34 am
@ehBeth,
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/92/Al-Haram_mosque_-_Flickr_-_Al_Jazeera_English.jpg/300px-Al-Haram_mosque_-_Flickr_-_Al_Jazeera_English.jpg
0 Replies

hightor

Sat 24 Mar, 2018 11:37 am
@coldjoint,
I'll say it again. The headline,
Quote:
White House praises ‘courageous’ youths marching against gun violence

is ambiguous but it is not misinformation. The White House praised the kids marching against gun violence because they were exercising their right of free speech — but it was still the same march and the same kids. Rolling Eyes
Finn dAbuzz

Sat 24 Mar, 2018 11:39 am
@hightor,
You really don't see the contradiction in an article that warns against black & white perceptions and then goes full bore on a "black" one?
blatham

@Finn dAbuzz,
And you wonder why I (and others) no longer take you seriously. The first sentence is playground silly. The second sentence suggests support for your claim which is not there in the APA literature which demonstrates how little you actually care about getting things right.
coldjoint

@hightor,
Quote:
White House praised the kids marching against gun violence

LIE
blatham

Sat 24 Mar, 2018 11:41 am
@ehBeth,
There are thousands just outside of Ted Cruz's office.
0 Replies

hightor

Sat 24 Mar, 2018 11:41 am
@coldjoint,
Quote:
White House praised the kids (who were) marching against gun violence

Now do you understand?
Finn dAbuzz

Sat 24 Mar, 2018 11:42 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

And you wonder why I (and others) no longer take you seriously. The first sentence is playground silly. The second sentence suggests support for your claim which is not there in the APA literature which demonstrates how little you actually care about getting things right.

No, I don't wonder at all. You don't agree with me ergo you don't take me seriously. Do I care? No.

You confine your views to one source...ergo, I don't take you seriously.
coldjoint

Sat 24 Mar, 2018 11:48 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Now do you understand?

No. If you can not see the lie I can't help you. The WH praised kids for using their 1st amendments rights. Nothing more.

Your insistence that it means something other than what it plainly says is ridiculous.
blatham

Sat 24 Mar, 2018 11:50 am
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DZD-EUcW0AAZhPF.jpg
Walter Hinteler

Sat 24 Mar, 2018 11:54 am
@blatham,

I just saw the demonstration of pupils and students in Israel - two survivors of the Parkland shooting were there, too (exchange students).

We had a couple here, too, yesterday (because yesterday was the last school day before the Easter holidays in most states).

Places with demonstrations worldwide:

https://i.imgur.com/8pKeTbnl.jpg
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 24 Mar, 2018 11:55 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
You confine your views to one source.
I have quoted and linked to the main professional mental health body in the US. I could link to The American Psychoanalytic Society as well. You link to nothing.
hightor

Sat 24 Mar, 2018 11:56 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
No I don't. Because the particular passage you refer to is the summation of a long exposition, not a statement made to stand alone. As you pointed out, the converse would make just as much sense — if the facts were the same. They're not.
Quote:
The halo effect helps keep explanatory narratives simple and coherent by exaggerating the consistency of evaluations: good people do only good things and bad people are all bad … Inconsistencies reduce the ease of our thoughts and the clarity of our feelings.

The author chooses three characteristics (the famous "rhetorical three") of rightist thinking as a contrast with communist ideals but he doesn't claim to prove either perspective as "right" or "wrong". He simply provides reasons why the political right would find it useful to curb nostalgia for the Soviet era.
hightor

Sat 24 Mar, 2018 11:58 am
@coldjoint,
Quote:
The WH praised kids for using their 1st amendments rights.

What kids were those, coldjoint?
coldjoint

Sat 24 Mar, 2018 12:01 pm
Quote:
The Next Generation of Tyrants

Quote:
Poor, brainwashed kids don't even realize there are already thousands of gun laws on the books. None of which by the way stopped either the Parkland shooter or the most recent attempt at mass murder in Maryland. The latter showed quite clearly that the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

In this writer's humble opinion, any school shooting that happens after the nation witnessed this truth will be squarely on the shoulders of the school district who failed to provide adequate armed security at their school.

This doesn't mean providing your students with a bucket of rocks as Pennsylvania school superintendent Dr. David Helsel believes.

While the media and their government cohorts attempt to portray this movement as grassroots in nature, led by students demonstrating great leadership, the truth is vastly different. Powerful leftwing groups such as Planned Parenthood, Every Town for Gun Safety and the Woman's March are behind the funding. Public schools, using taxpayer dollars are also encouraging kids as young as kindergarten age to participate. In one instance a student was suspended from school for refusing to join in the protests as he was a second amendment supporter.

Used and manipulated and people support that? Shouldn't our children be raised to think on their own, it sure doesn't look like it.

https://freedomoutpost.com/next-generation-tyrants/
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sat 24 Mar, 2018 12:02 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
What kids were those, coldjoint?

You lost the argument, don't make a fool of yourself.