monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

tony5732

Sat 7 Jan, 2017 11:53 pm
@RABEL222,
Careless, and lying about a lot. And that if other people did what she did there would be consequences. Which there wasn't, but yeah. She didn't get arrested if that's what you mean.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wbkS26PX4rc

My FAVORITE side by side video. What I am talking about couldn't be clearer.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 8 Jan, 2017 03:58 am
@AC14747,
Quote:
What absolute crapola...How did it get them a Republican president exactly? Were there Russian agents holding guns to peoples heads at the voting booths? You are delusional.

Not delusional though overly certain regarding the effect or consequence of Russian hacking. It is a definite possibility that the Russian hack and subsequent release of documents did turn a very close election (80,000 votes in 3 states). As US intel has reaffirmed, the hacking was almost certainly a Russian operation and the goal was to put Trump into office.

Unless you wish to argue that the US intel (and private security firms) are all deluded. That would seem a rather odd conclusion.
blatham

Sun 8 Jan, 2017 04:09 am
@tony5732,
Not quite sure what you are arguing here, Tony. Perhaps that negative press re Russian hacking will bleed over into other suspicions? That's possible (particularly given the earlier Diebold history and tech experts' concerns re voting machines) but it doesn't satisfy me as an explanation. Normally, such distinct concerns/ideas (where held by such a proportion of partisan voters) have been specifically voiced with some regularity. For example, the notion that Obama is really a Muslim or that he was not born in the US - those had broad voice in key right wing media outlets over years. But as I said, this notion we're talking about didn't have anything like that level of dissemination.
Below viewing threshold (view)
blatham

Sun 8 Jan, 2017 04:50 am
This is just immoral.
Quote:
A top ethics official has warned that plans to confirm Donald Trump’s top Cabinet choices before background examinations are complete are unprecedented and have overwhelmed government investigators responsible for the reviews.
LINK

Again, it is Trump and crowd just ignoring norms and traditions that have been around for a long time because of the dangers of lack of qualification, extremism and corruption. This is not a good thing, it's a bad thing.

And again, it is an authoritarian move. Trump and his people want to get what they want to get, regardless of other considerations.

It is not difficult to discern the motivations here. First, it is another example of Trump's need or urge to dominate others. It's a power display of the sort that marks most everything he does and says. Second, it is an attempt to control information and narrative through preventing the emergence of facts that might inhibit Trump and team from getting what they want.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 8 Jan, 2017 04:58 am
@tony5732,
OK, re argument. But this statement is far more false than you recognize:
Quote:
Hillary had every news station but fox, Trump had Russia.

The criticisms of Clinton appeared regularly in mainstream media and in left wing media and have for years. For just one example (there are many more) CNN had Lewandowski on regularly. For another, I don't think Maureen Dowd at the NYT has ever had much positive to say about her. This is a really long list and I won't bother. In leftwing media, the same was the case with Bernie Sanders' complaints about her carried broadly (along with complaints from others). I attend to this stuff closely.

And of course, FOX is far from a singular voice which right wing audiences attend to.
blatham

Sun 8 Jan, 2017 05:10 am
Quote:
Donald Trump Jr. backs the ‘Hearing Protection Act,’ an effort to ease restrictions on gun silencers

The federal government has strictly limited the sale of firearm silencers for as long as James Bond and big-screen gangsters have used them to discreetly shoot enemies between the eyes.

Now the gun industry, which for decades has complained about the restrictions, is pursuing new legislation to make silencers easier to buy, and a key backer is Donald Trump Jr., an avid hunter and the oldest son of the president-elect, who campaigned as a friend of the gun industry.
LINK

This is just disgusting. There's a video in the piece of where Jr is visiting a gun silencer manufacturer to show his support. He shoots with their product while wearing no evident hearing protection (which I guess is a burden far too egregious to ask of shooters). My older brother was a target shooter and I've been to shoots. Everyone wore substantial muffs. But now these bastards are trying to promote silencers as ear protection (better health for everyone!)

The dangers of allowing silencers to be sold is obvious and it's why they've been prohibited. But Trump and team are either paying the NRA for its substantial elector support or they are playing to the right wing gun base.
blatham

Sun 8 Jan, 2017 05:15 am
If you read one thing today, read this:

Quote:
How Trump got his party to love Russia

For decades, anti-communism united conservatives behind the Republican Party. An otherwise disparate collection of national security hawks, free-market enthusiasts and social traditionalists rallied to the GOP, resolutely committed to checking Soviet influence around the world. All of these constituencies had reason to despise godless, revolution-exporting Bolsheviks. Although Russia no longer subscribes to Marxist-Leninist doctrine, it still presents a threat to the United States, its allies and the liberal world order. Witness its aggression against Ukraine, its intervention in Syria and its support for extremists across Europe.

In Donald Trump, the GOP nominated the most pro-Russian U.S. presidential candidate since Henry Wallace, whose 1948 bid on the Progressive Party ticket was largely run by communists. Throughout last year’s campaign, Trump lavished praise on Russian President (and career KGB agent) Vladimir Putin, attacked NATO and encouraged the Kremlin to hack his Democratic opponent’s emails. He even proposed recognizing Russia’s annexation of the Crimean Peninsula — the first violent European land grab since World War II — a move that would put the United States in the company of Cuba and North Korea. Since the election, he has openly contradicted the intelligence community’s finding that Moscow tampered in our democracy, calling such claims a “political witch-hunt.”

In his victory, Trump is bringing other Republicans along with him. GOP attitudes toward Russia began improving dramatically after Trump announced his candidacy:
Contnue reading here
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 8 Jan, 2017 05:44 am
In our much heralded series running under the theme:

Yeah, America is really, really fucked up. There is a valid concern that this nation is going to morph from a species of democracy to something far more closely akin to an authoritarian state of vast inequality in wealth and power...

But...god in heaven there are some really cool things going on down there!

I present the geniuses of OK GO. Three videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWGJA9i18Co
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvW61K2s0tA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1ZB_rGFyeU

Now, if the Trump charity or Tillerson gave these guys a few million with the instruction, "Go crazy, boys", then I would have to reconsider some stuff. Which isn't an exercise I'll have to endure.

(My daughter turned me on to these guys about 8 years ago. She said, "Dad, I want to marry every one of these men"
glitterbag

Sun 8 Jan, 2017 06:11 am
@blatham,
I really don't know what to do anymore. I fear we will be held hostage by Trumps angry tweets in the wee hours. Other things are going on in the world, the United stated does not exist to assuage Trumps fragile ego.

It does seem that Trump remembers other world issues when he gets his first personal Intell briefing. But that memory only emerged as his way of negating the acts by the Russians. Now it's time for the Intell community to explain developments in a manner Trump might understand, as in how Trump's image, financial holdings are imperiled by bad actors.

No one is going to take away the office from Trump. But frankly I don't know how you can persuade a man like Trump to put the country before his ego. I don't think it's possible. His need for complete validation is not an illness I have ever dealt with before. I've watched dictators in Eastern Europe, Africa, South America.........they bear a striking resemblance.......Dictators can speechify for 4 to 6 hours.......Trump dominates every freaking minute of the day by tweeting his every thought. Sad.
glitterbag

Sun 8 Jan, 2017 06:12 am
@glitterbag,
I thought the 'sad' was a nice touch.
blatham

Sun 8 Jan, 2017 06:33 am
@glitterbag,
It's a bad time. Nothing for it but to forge ahead, paying attention to events and doing what one can do. And we can, at the same time, remind ourselves that we aren't likely to have to live in the circumstances of african americans through most of their time in american life, nor the circumstances of most of the humans in the world, etc. Cheer up and wage war with the tools we have avaliable: knowledge, courage, satire, friends. And then, when the chance arises, hit the bastards in the head with a brick. Or a big fish.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 8 Jan, 2017 06:35 am
@glitterbag,
"Sad" probably won't be remembered in the history books appropriately.
0 Replies

Frugal1

Sun 8 Jan, 2017 06:48 am
Today, roughly 22% of Americans give a flying fornication about the turd.

January 21 The Destruction of America Ends !!!

The Obama era is over.
His sad legacy will be #CashForClunkers and #TransexualToilets.
A smudge in the history books

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C1oDqC9UoAA5x2X.jpg:large
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 8 Jan, 2017 07:09 am
Quote:
An Israeli embassy official has been caught on camera in an undercover sting plotting to “take down” MPs regarded as hostile, including foreign office minister Sir Alan Duncan, an outspoken supporter of a Palestinian state.

In an extraordinary breach of diplomatic protocol, Shai Masot, who describes himself as an officer in the Israel Defence Forces and is serving as a senior political officer at the London embassy, was recorded by an ­undercover reporter from al-Jazeera’s investigative unit speaking about a number of British MPs.
LINK
Frugal1

Sun 8 Jan, 2017 07:14 am
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C1paCRiXUAUPI2_.jpg:large
Frugal1

Sun 8 Jan, 2017 07:28 am
Obama says he's proud of his 8 year record of no scandals, no terror attacks, great race relations, & the new delusion pill he invented.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 8 Jan, 2017 07:29 am
Quote:
As many as 450 U.S. houses of worship “have offered to provide sanctuary or other assistance to undocumented immigrants, according to leaders of the Sanctuary Movement…. The congregations joining this network have more than doubled since the election of Donald J. Trump – a rapid rebuttal to Mr. Trump’s postelection promise to deport two million to three million unauthorized immigrants who he said have been convicted of crimes.”

Idiots! They've clearly never read that part of the Scriptures where Jesus said, "Those stinking lepers. If we can't get them to move to another cave far away, go in with flamethrowers"

Quote:
Jerry Falwell’s Liberty University in Virginia continues to raise eyebrows: “Liberty University is planning to open a state-of-the-art shooting range on campus next fall as part of the conservative Evangelical Christian School’s commitment to promoting gun ownership and firearm sports.”

Yes! There's the christian message. "Carry the message of grace and salvation out into the world. Inscribe each bullet with "Jesus is truth".

h/t Steve Benen's Week in God
0 Replies

layman

Sun 8 Jan, 2017 07:36 am
@Frugal1,
"Police spokeswoman Luba Samri said the truck veered off course and rammed into the group in the Armon Hanatziv neighborhood. She said the attacker was shot dead.

Paramedic Chen Lendi Sharon was among the first to arrive on the scene and described 10 bodies trapped beneath the truck.

Israel’s rescue service MDA said the four casualties were in their 20s and included three women and a man. Of the 15 wounded, one was in serious condition.

Israel’s police chief Roni Alsheich told reporters the attacker was from an Arab neighborhood in east Jerusalem and forces had no advance warning. He refused to elaborate and a gag order was placed on further details pending an investigation.

It would rank as one of the deadliest in a more than yearlong wave of Palestinian shooting, stabbing and vehicular attacks against Israelis that had slowed of late. Sunday’s incident marks the first Israeli deaths in three months.

Since September 2015, Palestinian attackers have killed 40 Israelis and two visiting Americans."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2017/01/08/4-killed-15-wounded-jerusalem-truck-attack/96312336/

What!? Some Palestinian arab did this? Like, whoda thunk, I ask ya?

There will soon be a UN resolution praising this attack, and demanding morer of the same, I figure.
0 Replies

Frugal1

Sun 8 Jan, 2017 07:43 am
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C1ppHS0UAAIzOoN.jpg:large
0 Replies