monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

oralloy

Sun 25 Feb, 2018 10:54 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
I did know that if anyone did come in, I’d do the best I could. I didn’t allow myself to consider on any deep level that a person entering might be armed.

That's not a winning strategy.
0 Replies

thack45

Sun 25 Feb, 2018 10:55 pm
NRA spokesperson Dana Loesch interview
Quote:
In her appearance, Loesch repeatedly danced around Stephanopoulos’s point that, during the U.S.’s decade-long ban on assault weapons, both incidents and deaths due to the weapons dropped dramatically. As Stephanopoulos pointed out, research from the University of Massachusetts’ Louis Klarevas found that, from 1994-2004, there were only 12 incidents – about one per year – due to assault weapons, totaling some 89 deaths.

In the decade following, however, both numbers spiked. From 2004-2014, there were 34 incidents involving assault weapons – and over 300 deaths
But Loesch ignored the numbers, instead claiming that the ban “did not have much of an effect on the crime rate.”
https://thinkprogress.org/nra-assault-weapons-ban-9c9b92598190/
Lash

Sun 25 Feb, 2018 11:20 pm
@oralloy,
So, cops make mistakes and misjudgments constantly, but a teacher could never do that?
oralloy

Sun 25 Feb, 2018 11:46 pm
@Lash,
Self defense comprises fewer risky situations than police work. Someone who is defending themselves doesn't go out to confront the bad guy. They only fire when the bad guy comes and attacks them.

But yes, a defender can make mistakes too. If a teacher has to fire on a school shooter it is already a bad day no matter what.

But probably not as bad as the day would have been without any ability to fire on the attacker.

I'd recommend one of those quick-action gun safes in the classroom. No hiding the gun. One of the students will inevitably notice, and thirty seconds later all the students in the school would know. So I'd suggest don't try to hide it and just rely on the gun safe to prevent access to the gun.

I also recommend a centerfire rifle. Portability isn't necessary. Accuracy and the ability to punch through Kevlar is necessary. Probably something appropriate for deer hunting. A lever action .30-30 would be a pretty good choice.

Keep in mind that while rifles tear through Kevlar, they don't punch through steel plates unless you have AP ammo. So if the shooter has a steel plate you'll have to aim somewhere else.

I also remember a proposal that someone made after one of the shootings some years ago, not to arm the teachers directly, but to have a rifle in a safe in the principle's office. So if directly arming teachers doesn't happen, then maybe that would be a good option.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sun 25 Feb, 2018 11:50 pm
@thack45,
Quote:
In her appearance, Loesch repeatedly danced around Stephanopoulos's point that, during the U.S.'s decade-long ban on assault weapons, both incidents and deaths due to the weapons dropped dramatically. As Stephanopoulos pointed out, research from the University of Massachusetts' Louis Klarevas found that, from 1994-2004, there were only 12 incidents - about one per year - due to assault weapons, totaling some 89 deaths.

In the decade following, however, both numbers spiked. From 2004-2014, there were 34 incidents involving assault weapons - and over 300 deaths
But Loesch ignored the numbers, instead claiming that the ban "did not have much of an effect on the crime rate."

Well shame on Stephanopoulos for being so misleading, and good for Dana Loesch for telling the truth.

More truth is always a good thing.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 05:37 am
Koch-backed group launches ad to pressure Congress to protect ‘dreamers’
Quote:
A group backed by the influential Koch network on Monday launched a digital ad pushing for permanent relief for undocumented immigrants brought into the country as children, as the group increases pressure on Congress to protect “dreamers.”

The ad, titled “We Are Patriots,” will run on Facebook, Twitter and Google. It highlights “dreamers” as Americans and patriots and incorporates messages of economic and family values as an appeal to conservative audiences.

This is the first ad campaign specifically on the fate of dreamers by the LIBRE Initiative, one of a constellation of groups funded through the Koch network, and its first major immigration ad push since the Gang of 8 immigration negotiations in 2013.
Olivier5

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 06:13 am
‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens
The Onion - 2/14/18 5:32pm

PARKLAND, FL—In the hours following a violent rampage in Florida in which a lone attacker killed 17 individuals and seriously injured over a dozen others, citizens living in the only country where this kind of mass killing routinely occurs reportedly concluded Wednesday that there was no way to prevent the massacre from taking place.

“This was a terrible tragedy, but sometimes these things just happen and there’s nothing anyone can do to stop them,” said Indiana resident Harold Turner, echoing sentiments expressed by tens of millions of individuals who reside in a nation where over half of the world’s deadliest mass shootings have occurred in the past 50 years and whose citizens are 20 times more likely to die of gun violence than those of other developed nations.

“It’s a shame, but what can we do? There really wasn’t anything that was going to keep this individual from snapping and killing a lot of people if that’s what they really wanted.” At press time, residents of the only economically advanced nation in the world where roughly two mass shootings have occurred every month for the past eight years were referring to themselves and their situation as “helpless.”
oralloy

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 06:36 am
@Olivier5,
Well, showing a bit of compassion to troubled people, instead of being cruel to them until they snap and lash out, would likely reduce occurrences considerably.
Olivier5

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 07:14 am
I consider Roger heartless because he seems to favour a fake, disfunctional and conceited form of logic over basic emotional intelligence. I don't think the truth matters to him.
oralloy

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 07:21 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
I consider Roger heartless because he seems to favour a fake, disfunctional and conceited form of logic over basic emotional intelligence.

All he is doing is pointing out facts and reality. I do the much the same.

Olivier5 wrote:
I don't think the truth matters to him.

Why else would he be pointing out facts and reality?
revelette1

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 07:31 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Well now, this is an interesting dilemma for Trump, stuck between his rabble rowdy base and the Koch brothers on the immigration issue, not to mention Kelly and Miller, two immigration hardliners.

Wonder who will win out? Or should I say what will win out, money or ideology?
0 Replies

revelette1

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 07:36 am
Senate pivots to stopgap 'Dreamers' deal (The Hill)
0 Replies

hightor

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 07:48 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
Well, showing a bit of compassion to troubled people, instead of being cruel to them until they snap and lash out, would likely reduce occurrences considerably.

I don't think that victim-blaming is that helpful. In fact in this case, coming from a staunch NRA defender, it sounds comically similar to the plaintive cries of the "snowflakes and SJW's" who are routinely and cruelly mocked on conservative websites for their compassionate stance toward the poor and the helpless.

Can't wait till we get our conservative nanny state where people are encouraged to turn in their neighbors' names to the police and FBI if they arouse the least bit of suspicion. Maybe we'll start informing on those who don't show sufficient compassion to angry people who wish to harm them. They could be charged as potential accessories to murder if the miscreant later decides to go on a shooting spree.
Olivier5

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 08:49 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
All he is doing is pointing out facts and reality

That's not what I see him doing.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 08:56 am
Supreme Court declines Trump request to take up DACA controversy now
Quote:
The Supreme Court on Monday declined to enter the national controversy over “dreamers,” turning down the Trump administration’s request to immediately review lower court decisions that keep in place the program that protects undocumented immigrants brought here as children from deportation.
[...]
The litigation now will take its usual course, and it will likely be next term before the issue could return to the Supreme Court. The White House and Congress in the meantime can continue to search for a political resolution.

The Trump administration skipped the more usual procedure of asking the high court to stay the lower court decisions. Instead, it said the court should accept the case now because it raised such important legal questions about presidential authority.
... ... ...

Olivier5

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 09:02 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Indeed, the US college culture seems more socially competitive and cruel than many, and making it more inclusive wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Another not so stupid idea would be to prohibit the sale of fire arms to kids deemed too young to drink beer.

Another would be to name and shame NRA members.
maporsche

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 09:12 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Looks like DACA recipients are protected at least for probably another year.

The appeals case in 9th Circuit will take quite a while still, and then should the government lose, the appeal to the SC will take even longer (if they take the case).
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 10:09 am
@Lash,

I would much prefer to see trained law enforcement agents positioned in schools than arming teachers. It's not that I don't think any teacher is capable of the task (I'm sure a great many are), but no matter how much training they get, they will be teachers and not law enforcement agents. The fact that the Deputy in FL lost any courage he may have had is hardly the typical response of a cop. Sherriff's are political positions (as the one in Broward County has so ably demonstrated) and not apex law enforcement agents.

If it costs more money than my local schools have to bring the right number of well-trained, armed guards onto their campuses and into their buildings, I'll contribute to a fund either privately or via increased taxes.

Regardless of whether or not the assault weapon ban saved lives, in the long run, it didn't eliminate mass shootings and murders. If that's the only response we take, we will see more dead school children.
Finn dAbuzz

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 10:15 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Imagine that.

What do you think these crafty bastards are up to with this?
Finn dAbuzz

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 10:17 am
@Olivier5,
Well, since you are clearly the arbiter of who is and who is not compassionate and truthful, I'm sure roger is spending time in a corner; sucking his thumb due to your edict.