monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Walter Hinteler

Sat 7 Jan, 2017 04:35 am
@tony5732,
Remember Watzlawick (and Bavelas, and Jackson) from reading at school?
blatham

Sat 7 Jan, 2017 04:55 am
Donald Trump and his friends.

Quote:
Vyacheslav Molotov, Stalin’s foreign minister, once remarked while on a trip to Berlin in the early days of the Cold War, “The trouble with free elections is that you never know how they will turn out.”

On the morning of November 9th, Molotov’s grandson, Vyacheslav Nikonov, a member of the Russian Duma’s foreign-affairs committee, announced to the parliament, “Three minutes ago, Hillary Clinton conceded defeat in the American Presidential elections. And just this second Donald Trump began his speech as President-elect.” The Duma members cheered and applauded.

In the days to come, there were more declarations of acid satisfaction among the Russian élite. Dmitri Kiselyov, the host of “News of the Week,” a popular current-affairs show on state-controlled television, gloated over Trump’s victory and Barack Obama’s inability to prevent it. Obama, he said, was a “eunuch.” Trump was an “alpha male”—and one who showed mercy to his vanquished rival. “Trump could have put the blonde in prison, as he’d threatened in the televised debates,” Kiselyov said on his show. “On the other hand, it’s nothing new. Trump has left blond women satisfied all his life.” Kiselyov further praised Trump because the concepts of democracy and human rights “are not in his lexicon.” In India, Turkey, Europe, and now the United States, he declared, “the liberal idea is in ruins.”
LINK
0 Replies

tony5732

Sat 7 Jan, 2017 05:25 am
@Walter Hinteler,
No I do not. Enlighten me. Other than I just googled them I can only really tell they are psychologists.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 7 Jan, 2017 05:30 am
Here's my nomination for least likely @realDonaldTrump tweet:

"I'm going to build the most impenetrable huge digital security wall EVER and make RUSSIA pay for it. Fair!"
blatham

Sat 7 Jan, 2017 05:37 am
Take a look at what Bannon's Breitbart is apparently up to in Germany.

Quote:
It was every God-fearing Christian’s worst nightmare about Muslim refugees. “Revealed,” the Breitbart News headline screamed, “1,000-Man Mob Attack Police, Set Germany’s Oldest Church Alight on New Year’s Eve.”

The only problem: Police say that’s not what happened that night in the western city of ­Dortmund.

The Breitbart report has triggered a backlash in Germany, igniting fresh concerns over the manipulation of information and the societal cost of revenue-generating clickbait.
LINK
Builder

Sat 7 Jan, 2017 05:47 am
@blatham,
Quote:
"I'm going to build the most impenetrable huge digital security wall EVER and make RUSSIA pay for it.

Where in this conversation is the dialogue relating to a seceretary of state knowingly using a series of private and unsecured servers to carry out the duties of their official capacity, totally against the charter they signed, when taking on the responsibility of that office?
blatham

Sat 7 Jan, 2017 05:54 am
@Builder,
That would only enter this conversation we're having re Trump and Russian hacking to help him win the WH and Trump's deceits and provision of cover for Putin if someone wanted to change the subject or if someone wanted to imply that Trump's behaviors are somehow made OK or are justified because his electoral opponent did something.

It's irrelevant.
blatham

Sat 7 Jan, 2017 06:15 am
Quote:
Evan McMullin ‏@Evan_McMullin 15h15 hours ago
Even after his briefing, Trump continues to actively obscure Russia's multifaceted, ongoing attack on American democracy on his behalf.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 7 Jan, 2017 06:36 am
Here's some wisdom from Trump's appointee to Department of Labor

Quote:
Puzder opposes the Department of Labor's overtime rule and actually claimed that what workers “lose in overtime pay they gain in stature and sense of accomplishment.” (Wall Street Journal, 3/25/14)

Laborers need to understand how this sort of character-building approach is best for them. To be motivated simply by money is tawdry, even vulgar, and it does them and their families no good, only harm.

And let's also consider that where laborers approach their work and recompense in such a manner, the corporate heads above them will earn much more personal income themselves. Which is as it should be. Further, those corporate heads can only be expected to do their best if their contracts stipulate pay levels and bonuses are very generous.

There's a labor secretary for populists.

Walter Hinteler

Sat 7 Jan, 2017 06:40 am
@blatham,
Perhaps I hadn't noticed that if "the oldest German church" hadn't been mentioned.
http://i67.tinypic.com/23m3djq.jpg

In a circle of 20 miles around my home, we have a good dozen of churches older than that one in Dortmund.
Well, and afterwards I read all the other nonsense.

NB: they will start a German edition. With more fake news, perhaps. The extreme right will like that: they don't have to create those news themselves anymore, don't have to rely on Russian sources for them ...
Below viewing threshold (view)
Frugal1

Sat 7 Jan, 2017 07:48 am
0 Replies

revelette1

Sat 7 Jan, 2017 09:09 am
Trump Nominees’ Filings Threaten to Overwhelm Federal Ethics Office

Quote:
“The Office of Government Ethics is stressed, no doubt about that,” said Robert Rizzi, a partner at Steptoe & Johnson, who represents half a dozen Trump administration nominees going through the process, although he would not name them, citing confidentiality agreements. “They are having some difficulty keeping up.”

All of the cabinet appointees and hundreds of others must submit a financial disclosure report detailing all the assets they own, their approximate value and income from any source they have made in the last year. Some of the nominees are so wealthy — and their assets so varied — there are not enough boxes on the standard form for them, lawyers involved in the process said.

blatham

Sat 7 Jan, 2017 09:33 am
@Walter Hinteler,
That just adds icing, does't it! Hilarious (sort of).

Quote:
NB: they will start a German edition. With more fake news, perhaps. The extreme right will like that: they don't have to create those news themselves anymore, don't have to rely on Russian sources for them ...

That is the goal of Breitbart's operations in Europe (expanding into Germany and France) - to forward the right wing parties there. Just one more reason I'm such a fan of Bannon and Trump.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 7 Jan, 2017 09:42 am
This is also sort of funny. It's the top comment on Slate following article titled "The Intelligence Report on Russian Hacking Puts Trump in an Awkward Spot"

Quote:
My name is Dave. I am American. Like baseball and pie from apples. This so-calling "journalist" is making bad "jounalism". There is no evidence of Russia wrongdoing, and the United States government are trying make American people stupid.

Anyone want to guess where this troll is writing from?
0 Replies

Frugal1

Sat 7 Jan, 2017 10:01 am
For Trump's inauguration:
Overcoat-- $100
Scarf-- $19
Snickering at Michelle Obama's pained facial expression-- Priceless
0 Replies

Frugal1

Sat 7 Jan, 2017 10:26 am
http://www.westernjournalism.com/poll-cnn-earns-title-of-least-trusted-cable-news-network/
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sat 7 Jan, 2017 11:23 am
@blatham,
Next step; destroy the unions.
Frugal1

Sat 7 Jan, 2017 11:32 am
@cicerone imposter,
I've no problem with that, unions don't fit in modern America - especially teachers unions.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Sat 7 Jan, 2017 11:50 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Next step; destroy the unions.

No action needed: they're dying on their own. Union parasites have killed nearly every industry they've infected. New startups and manufacturing investments by U.S. and foreign companies are all in Right To Work States, and even formerly solid union states like Michigan have recently enacted Right To Work laws. Only about 8% of the nation's private sector work force is unionized. Today the vast majority of Union employees work for the Federal or State governments, and they were unionized through political action, with no formal consent by the workers. As we saw in Wisconsin, once the government stops pre-deducting the union dues from employees, allowing them to pay (or not pay) the union directly , the union dies.

The lessons are clear - unions work only in the presence of a government enforced monopoly. If worker consent is truly involved, the union dies.
0 Replies