Fri 6 Jan, 2017 02:32 pm
@maporsche,
By no metric, has Obama been ideal.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Fri 6 Jan, 2017 02:33 pm
@maporsche,
http://www.hudson.org/research/12714-economic-growth-by-president

Obama hasn't been as good you the media and the DNC have led you to believe.
0 Replies

maporsche

Fri 6 Jan, 2017 02:34 pm
Ideal GDP between 2-3%
https://www.thebalance.com/what-is-the-ideal-gdp-growth-rate-3306017
0 Replies

Frugal1

Fri 6 Jan, 2017 02:35 pm
'It is over': Biden gavels down die-hard Clinton loving Democrats who launch futile protests against the electoral vote.

0 Replies

Baldimo

Fri 6 Jan, 2017 02:36 pm
@catbeasy,
Bush wasn't in any better straights at the start of his admin either. Dotcom crash, 9-11... Short memories indeed. You guys want to think Clinton handed Bush a perfect game, but that isn't the truth. Do you also remember the cooking the book scandals that hit in the early 2000's? All that book cooking to make companies look good took place under Clinton and then broke apart when Bush was in office.
blatham

Fri 6 Jan, 2017 03:18 pm
Further data released on Russian hacking

Quote:
Russia carried out a comprehensive cyber campaign to upend the U.S. presidential election, an operation that was ordered by Russian President Vladi­mir Putin and “aspired to help” elect Donald Trump by discrediting his Democratic rival, Hillary Clinton, U.S. intelligence agencies concluded in a report released Friday.

The report depicts Russian interference as unprecedented in scale, saying that Moscow’s assault represented “a significant escalation in directness, level of activity, and scope of effort” beyond previous election-related espionage.

The campaign was ordered by Putin himself and initially sought primarily to undermine public faith is the U.S. democratic process, “denigrate Secretary Clinton” and harm her electoral prospects. But as the campaign proceeded, Russia “developed a clear preference for President-elect Trump” and repeatedly sought to elevate him by “discrediting Secretary Clinton and publicly contrasting her unfavorably to him.”
LINK

Once again. This is not normal. This is unprecedented. And it is obviously very dangerous indeed, particularly where the beneficiary is seeking to obscure and deny such took place and where many supporters are supporting this man's behavior.
blatham

Fri 6 Jan, 2017 03:21 pm
A request to all...

If you find yourself in a discussion on some matter not terribly relevant to this discussion topic and where you find it continuing on for something like three pages, I'd ask you to start a new discussion topic on that matter. Otherwise, diversions aren't a problem for me.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 6 Jan, 2017 03:24 pm
@blatham,
From my humble POV, Hillary destroyed her own chances by losing the trust of most Americans.
http://freebeacon.com/politics/hillary-clinton-continues-to-receive-poor-ratings-on-trust-favorability/

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/hillary-clinton-favorable-rating
catbeasy

Fri 6 Jan, 2017 03:24 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:
Bush wasn't in any better straights at the start of his admin either.

I wasn't asking about Bush, just Obama at the start of his term. That's what this discussion was about. It seemed to me that this idea of perspective was lost in the evaluation of Obama's presidency..

And yes, I agree that the same perspective would apply for Bush or any president, I am not here disputing Bush's administration and haven't really seen that in this discussion, its more about how 'horrible' Obama has been. While there are many things to complain about Obama, this one, on the terms its been currently discussed in this thread, seems a bit specious..

My asking your opinion was an honest in the asking. I don't know much about economics, certainly not as much as many others on this board but I do have an opinion about the logic surrounding the discussion..feel free to discuss your opinion on what I posted..I haven't seen it quite discussed in this light and so am interested in what others have to say about it..
0 Replies

Frugal1

Fri 6 Jan, 2017 03:35 pm
@cicerone imposter,
HRC lost the trust of the few people that ever trusted her by being a criminal & getting Americans killed.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 6 Jan, 2017 03:42 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I realize you believe that. I don't. Irrelevant now.
cicerone imposter

Fri 6 Jan, 2017 03:50 pm
@blatham,
You are free to believe anything you wish about Hillary Clinton. I just go by what I have read and seen about her, and make my subjective judgement and opinions.
I also think polls are very telling about any issue.
0 Replies

Frugal1

Fri 6 Jan, 2017 03:56 pm
@blatham,
HRC is irrelevant now.
0 Replies

maporsche

Fri 6 Jan, 2017 04:10 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

No **** CI.

The point being made is that the release of emails by Russian hackers is one of the contributing factors of eroded trust of HRC. The degree of the effect is unknown.
nimh

Fri 6 Jan, 2017 04:20 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Once again. This is not normal. This is unprecedented.

Well, it's not normal for the US to be on the receiving end of this kind of intrigue at this scale. Normally they're the ones perpetrating it.

Meanwhile, this sounds about right:

Quote:
But weighing whether Russia’s intervention altered the outcome of the 2016 race was beyond the scope of the review that the nation’s spy agencies completed this week. And Clapper testified in a Senate hearing Thursday that U.S. intelligence services “have no way of gauging the impact . . . it had on the choices the electorate made. There’s no way for us to gauge that.”

The election outcome was - as any election result, especially one as close as this one - the result of a confluence of different developments, motivations, strategies, etc. It seems clear that the Russian government tried to influence the outcome, and Wikileaks certainly played a role in disseminating information that was damaging to Clinton. Would she have won without that interference? Considering how narrow the margin was in a couple of decisive swing states, probably. But similarly, the Democrats probably would have won if other things went just the other way. That includes strategic mistakes of Clinton's own campaign.

There is no one magic answer that explains why Trump won, and if there has been one unproductive debate on the liberal side of the body politic since early November, it's been people brashly contesting each other's claim of having identified 'why Trump won'. His appeal to racism and bigotry played an important role, but it doesn't explain all. Sexism played a role, but it doesn't explain all. A sense on the part of low-income swing voters that the Democrats alienated and abandoned them played a role. The desire to give the entire establishment a hearty **** you, as observed by Michael Moore, played a role. The cultural polarization between metropolitan and small-town America, and how the math of that works out in the electoral college, plays a role. The electorally disadvantageous distribution of Democratic voters on the US map, with millions of them concentrated in ueber-safe blue states even as traditional swing states slip away from the party, plays a role. The media's overwhelming coverage of Clinton's foibles while many of Trump's issues were, at least for a long time, brushed aside as Trump just being Trump (cause he wasn't going to win anyway) played a role. Whether you consider them nonsense or justified, the drip-drip-drip of the investigations on Clinton's private email server, culminating in Comey's dramatic statement, played a large role. Remaining bitterness within part of the Democratic-leaning electorate over the primary outcome played a role. Clinton being the viewed more unfavorably than any Democratic presidential candidate in modern history played a role -- her only saving grace was that Trump was viewed even more unfavorably, but that didn't help her when the voters who viewed both of them unfavorably ended up plumping to Trump en masse. Her campaign strategy of focusing on negative campaigning, and concentrating that negative message on cultural outrage over Trump's primitive behaviour and remarks, instead of focusing on bread and butter issues, played a role. Overconfident campaign investments in states that turned out to be a bridge too far while Midwestern states considered safe were neglected played a role. Etc etc.

What is it they say about successes having many fathers but failures being orphans? In reality, failures by necessity have many causes too. It'd be stupid to dismiss evidence of racism and bigotry being defining motivations for part of the Trump electorate, for example, yet also stupid to pretend that it explains it all. Likewise, it'd be dumb to dismiss all evidence about Russian meddling, as vague as some of it may seem, but it's also dumb to pretend that hey, we caught the culprit: the Russians elected Trump! One of the most foolish things the Democrats could do now would be to eschew difficult questions about why they failed to appeal to key swing constituencies -- why they lost a significant part of their erstwhile base which shifted red, and at the same time couldn't quite persuade enough voters from constituencies newly shifting blue -- by embracing the easy answer that the Russians stole the election. The Russians seem to definitely have tried, fairly successfully, to influence the election, and speaking from over here in Central-Eastern Europe I can confirm that this is genuinely alarming. But it remains only one piece of the puzzle, and blaming Clinton's loss on the Russians is comforting enough that Democrats/liberals should be wary about its appeal.

/gets off of soapbox
Frugal1

Fri 6 Jan, 2017 04:22 pm
@maporsche,
The content of her emails is one of the contributing factors of eroded trust of HRC. The Russians didn't make her do what she did, or email what she emailed. HRC was her own biggest enemy, she can't blame her loss on exterior forces - HRC is why HRC failed.
0 Replies

catbeasy

Fri 6 Jan, 2017 04:26 pm
@nimh,
Nice post nimh..
0 Replies

Baldimo

Fri 6 Jan, 2017 04:32 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
The point being made is that the release of emails by Russian hackers is one of the contributing factors of eroded trust of HRC. The degree of the effect is unknown.

Eroded the trust or confirmed the reason for a lack of trust? As someone pointed out, the Russians didn't make Hillary or John Podesta or anyone else in the DNC or the Clinton Campain write those emails and plot to make sure Bernie didn't get the nomination. The head of the DNC resigned before the DNC convention because she knew what she did was wrong, the very fact she was re-elected as a Rep should send shivers down people's spines. Corruption does indeed walk the halls DC.
blatham

Fri 6 Jan, 2017 04:34 pm
@nimh,
Quote:
Well, it's not normal for the US to be on the receiving end of this kind of intrigue at this scale. Normally they're the ones perpetrating it.

No argument from me. But the significant factors in this case relate to Russia's involvement in the US election and Trump's (and supporters') attempts to obscure through purposeful deceits not to mention Trump's obvious affinity for authoritarian rule.

Re the following paragraphs, I think you're pretty much spot on and I see nothing there to contest. And I don't think I've made any argument here that would contradict your notions.
0 Replies

maporsche

Fri 6 Jan, 2017 04:39 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Quote:

Eroded the trust or confirmed the reason for a lack of trust? As someone pointed out, the Russians didn't make Hillary or John Podesta or anyone else in the DNC or the Clinton Campain write those emails and plot to make sure Bernie didn't get the nomination. The head of the DNC resigned before the DNC convention because she knew what she did was wrong, the very fact she was re-elected as a Rep should send shivers down people's spines. Corruption does indeed walk the halls DC.

Chicken or the egg...who knows?

It would have been quite interesting to see internal, private emails between the different republican campaigns though...that's for sure.