monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Lash

Mon 19 Feb, 2018 10:15 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Somehow, I don’t think you’d have mentioned it if you approved.

0 Replies

Lash

Mon 19 Feb, 2018 10:17 pm
@izzythepush,
Bada - bing.

IzzythePush will be playing the lounge every Tuesday night this month, ladies and germs!
thack45

Mon 19 Feb, 2018 10:35 pm
When it's party before everything

Quote:
MAKE DATING GREAT AGAIN!

Find The America First Partner Of Your Dreams

When Political Foundation Is The Same, The Sky Is The Limit
https://trump.dating/
Real Music

Mon 19 Feb, 2018 10:48 pm
https://dailylolpics.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/cant-violate-the-constitution-1.jpg
0 Replies

Real Music

Mon 19 Feb, 2018 10:51 pm
https://www.humortimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/trump-once-called-bnd7mo.jpg
0 Replies

Real Music

Mon 19 Feb, 2018 10:53 pm
https://www.humortimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/donald-trump-putins.jpg
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Mon 19 Feb, 2018 11:44 pm
@camlok,
Camlok, please respond to this photo. (Hint: Bernie Sanders would never do this.)

http://cdn.thewire.com/media/img/upload/wire/2014/09/09/RTXZ70U-1/lead_large.jpg
0 Replies

Real Music

Tue 20 Feb, 2018 01:36 am
Trump lashes out over Russia probe in angry and error-laden tweetstorm.

Trump’s latest attacks built on remarks last week in which he misrepresented the evidence revealed by Mueller

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/02/19/trump-tweets-russia-probe-2/
0 Replies

hightor

Tue 20 Feb, 2018 04:42 am
The Content of the GOP's Character

Paul Krugman, Feb. 19, 2018, New York Times

Quote:
Even those who have long since accepted the premise that Donald Trump is corrupt, self-centered and dishonest seem a bit shocked by his tirades over the Presidents’ Day weekend. Using the Parkland, Fla., massacre as an excuse to attack the F.B.I. for investigating Russian election intervention on his behalf — while lying about his own past denials that such intervention took place — took vileness to a new level, which is truly impressive given Trump’s previous record.

Yet if you step back a bit and think about it, Trump’s latest outbursts were very much in character — and I don’t just mean his personal character. When did you last see a member of the Trump administration, or for that matter any prominent Republican, admit error or accept responsibility for problems?

Don’t say that it has always been that way, that it’s just the way people are. On the contrary, taking responsibility for your actions — what my parents called being a mensch — used to be considered an essential virtue in politicians and adults in general. And in this as in so many things, there’s a huge asymmetry between the parties. Of course not all Democrats are honest and upstanding; but as far as I can tell, there’s almost nobody left in the G.O.P. willing to take responsibility for, well, anything.

And I don’t think this is an accident. The sad content of modern Republican character is a symptom of the corruption and hypocrisy that has afflicted half of our body politic — a sickness of the soul that manifests itself in personal behavior as well as policy.

Before I talk about that sickness, consider a few non-Trump examples of the lack of character that pervades this administration.

At the trivial but still telling end of the scale, we have the tale of Scott Pruitt, head of the Environmental Protection Agency, who keeps flying first class at taxpayers’ expense. The money isn’t the important issue here, although his spending violates federal guidelines. The revealing thing, instead, is the supposed reason he needs to fly premium — you see, ordinary coach passengers have been known to say critical things to his face.

Remember this story the next time someone talks about liberal “snowflakes.”

More seriously, consider the behavior of John Kelly, Trump’s chief of staff, whose record of slandering critics and refusing to admit error is starting to rival his boss’s. Remember when Kelly made false accusations about Representative Frederica Wilson and refused to retract those accusations even after video showed they were false?

More recently, Kelly insisted that he didn’t know the full details about domestic abuse allegations against Rob Porter until, a White House staff member said, “40 minutes before he threw him out” — a claim that seems at odds with everything we know about this story. Even if this claim were true, an apology for his obliviousness seems in order. But these guys don’t apologize.

Oh, and by the way: Roy Moore still hasn’t conceded.

So it’s not just Trump. And it didn’t start with Trump. In fact, way back in 2006 I wrote about the “mensch gap” in the Bush administration — the unwillingness of top officials to accept responsibility for the botched occupation of Iraq, the botched response to Hurricane Katrina, and more.

Nor, by the way, are we only talking about politicians. In my neck of the woods, I remain amazed by the unwillingness of right-leaning economists to admit that they were wrong in predicting that the Fed’s efforts to rescue the economy would cause runaway inflation. Being wrong is one thing — it happens to everyone, myself very much included. Refusing to admit and learn from error is something different.

And let’s be clear: Personal responsibility isn’t dead everywhere. You can ask, for example, whether Hillary Clinton apologized sufficiently for her initial support of the Iraq war or her missteps in 2016 — but she did admit to making mistakes, which nobody on the other side ever seems to do.

So what happened to the character of the G.O.P.? I’m pretty sure that in this case the personal is, ultimately, political. The modern G.O.P. is, to an extent never before seen in American history, a party built around bad faith, around pretending that its concerns and goals are very different from what they really are. Flag-waving claims of patriotism, pious invocations of morality, stern warnings about fiscal probity are all cover stories for an underlying agenda mainly concerned with making plutocrats even richer.

And the character flaws of the party end up being echoed by the character flaws of its most prominent members. Are they bad people who chose their political affiliation because it fits their proclivities, or potentially good people corrupted by the company they keep? Probably some of both.

In any case, let’s be clear: America in 2018 is not a place where we can disagree without being disagreeable, where there are good people and good ideas on both sides, or whatever other bipartisan homily you want to recite. We are, instead, living in a kakistocracy, a nation ruled by the worst, and we need to face up to that unpleasant reality.
izzythepush

Tue 20 Feb, 2018 05:51 am
@Lash,
Oh please, I've done London's Comedy Store. I'm not going to go backwards.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 20 Feb, 2018 06:09 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
the Milo fanboys and Harvard graduates have joined ranks against us and made a separate truce with the left, brokered by the gays.
Finally someone has the courage to speak this great truth. Yes, bless them all.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 20 Feb, 2018 06:15 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
For example, the truth is, there is nothing Washington can do to protect our citizens from "terrorism" in all its forms. Period. How do you think people would react to them admitting that?
It seems to me that this is both common knowledge and it's what most politicians on either side (unless they are whackadoodles) acknowledge - total or absolute protection is not possible under any scheme.

On the other hand, it doesn't follow that nothing can be or should be done, of course. If the US and other nations had not established security systems in airports to prevent another 9/11, we can be certain that trick would have been duplicated.
blatham

Tue 20 Feb, 2018 06:40 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
that is, most people get their information about politics from FB, Twitter, and our chosen misinformation channel.
Yes. This is a fundamental civic problem in the US right now (elsewhere too, in varying degrees) and it is a main focus of my attention. Who is setting out to control information systems, why are they doing it, and how are they doing it? Is the present situation worse or better than at earlier times? In what ways is this dangerous? How do you figure that out? Etc.

Quote:
What 'action' do you think U.S. citizens will take? I'm betting it isn't to actually educate themselves.
That's another problem but it is always with us. Most people do not have the inclination or interest or time to set to a serious course of self-education in politics and related subjects. I think at least two factors can alter this however: some perceived community crisis demanding attention and resolution, or the influence of a charismatic leader. And that first factor is heavily effected by moral considerations - fairness, justice, empathy or their opposites. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcJxRqTs5nk

We'll stumble along, grasping some real threats and failing to grasp others. Supporting a good educational system for citizens and the values of education are probably the most basic positive step we can take.
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 20 Feb, 2018 06:41 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Is the NRA is too powerful to chip down to size?

Yes.

I've heard that the NRA has given permission for this bill to be passed. I have not taken the time to look up details however.
blatham

Tue 20 Feb, 2018 06:44 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
As horrible an event as it was, the clamor will probably die down in a few months at most.
Given past experience, this definitely seems the most likely outcome. But it's not certain and it is definitely not acceptable. This is one of those cases where folks just have to keep fighting for change.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 20 Feb, 2018 06:46 am
@ehBeth,
I wonder who authored that tweet.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 20 Feb, 2018 06:48 am
@thack45,
Well, that's barfatastic
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 20 Feb, 2018 07:02 am
@hightor,
Now that is right on the money!
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 20 Feb, 2018 07:14 am
Quote:
The House Intelligence Committee, for years considered an oasis of bipartisanship in a fractious Congress, has collapsed into what many lawmakers call unprecedented bitterness and distrust that endangers its core mission of protecting national security.
Politico

Just imagine how happy Russia (and China) will be with this situation. Genius-level politicking by Trump here.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Tue 20 Feb, 2018 07:17 am
The European ‘conservatives’ invited to this week’s CPAC conference are the ones Europe didn’t want

In Europe, all are considered to represent the far-right/extreme far-right or (at least) populist-right.