monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Finn dAbuzz

Sun 18 Feb, 2018 01:23 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

oralloy wrote:
She'll learn when we defeat her attempts to violate our rights.
So you or someone of your group wants to kill her next.

I guess it takes a Teutonic mind to peel back the onion that is oralloy and reveal his murderous intent. Rolling Eyes

I might be considered a cheap shot if it had any chance of even nicking him so rather, it's simply a cheap blank.

You're not often susceptible to hysteria Walter. Your favorite tavern run out of Warsteiner?
Finn dAbuzz

Sun 18 Feb, 2018 01:25 pm
@Leadfoot,
Until that fact can help someone get elected or shift control of a branch of government to another party Americans will not learn about it. The MSM won't cover it and the politicians won't bring it up.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 18 Feb, 2018 01:27 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Your favorite tavern run out of Warsteiner?
I don't drink alcohol since more than 30 years. (Besides that, I live just 20 miles away from the main Warstein brewery. And another aside: the name "Hinteler" is [old] Saxon, nothing to do with Teutons [Bructeri, most probably.].)
BillW

Sun 18 Feb, 2018 01:31 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter, these are obfuscation attempts to keep our righties off the FBI crazies lists...... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Lash

Sun 18 Feb, 2018 01:35 pm
Crime of the Century: Russians retweet US media stories.

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/wapo-finally-admits-election-russian-propaganda-was-actually-american-and-it-was-factually-accurate/

During the 2016 election, the narrative that interference from “the Russians” had an impact on Donald Trump’s success was alive and well, and it was pushed heavily by the Washington Post. However, the Post is now claiming that the propaganda it accused Russian bots of spreading was actually American, and it was “factually accurate.”

In a new story titled “Russia used mainstream media to manipulate American voters,” the Post admitted that instead of creating and spreading “fake news,” the accounts it claimed were controlled by Russians actually focused on sharing stories from American mainstream media outlets, and one of their most used sources just happened to be The Washington Post.

Citing an analysis by Columbia University social-media researcher Jonathan Albright, the Post noted that the majority of the “Russian propaganda” spread by these accounts was made up of “factually accurate” stories from American sources:

“Some well-chronicled hoaxes reached large audiences. But Russian-controlled Twitter accounts, Albright said, were far more likely to share stories produced by widely read sources of American news and political commentary. The stories themselves were generally factually accurate, but the Russian accounts carefully curated the overall flow to highlight themes and developments that bolstered Republican Donald Trump and undermined his Democratic rival, Hillary Clinton.
Among the tweets Albright studied, the most common links were to Breitbart News, followed by The Washington Post and the San Francisco Chronicle. The list of the top 25 linked sites had a conservative bent, with the Daily Caller, Fox News and the Gateway Pundit appearing.”
blatham

Sun 18 Feb, 2018 02:09 pm
@thack45,
I would agree.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 18 Feb, 2018 02:10 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

A few of your examples are subject to discussion, but ignoring that, you said six times a day. Please cite two examples of six or more lies in one day.

the state of the union address had over a dozen documented

there are a few other speeches that are in that range

__

gotta love that Florida is the hub of taking on #45 these days

must be glorious
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 18 Feb, 2018 02:11 pm
@BillW,
"Tell all" accounts from those in or around this adminstration are already appearing, as you know. There will be more. And they will be horrifying.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 18 Feb, 2018 02:22 pm
@Leadfoot,
The US, like any hegemonic power, will act within other nations so as to forward the mercantile goals and arrangements centered in their own country. And yes, the US has a lot of sins in this regard comparable to the Brits or Spanish, etc.

But that is a separate political and moral issue from Russia's attacks on US democracy. It does not justify US citizens or politicians permitting or remaining inactive in the face of such an attack from another nation. And it becomes far more significant/dangerous where there are so many robust connections between the attacking nation and this administration.
hightor

Sun 18 Feb, 2018 02:22 pm
@Lash,
This is "news"?

Posing as Americans and re-posting factual but biased stories from the right-wing media which "bolstered Republican Donald Trump and undermined his Democratic rival, Hillary Clinton" doesn't mean that Russia is innocent of the charge of meddling. That some stories originated in the US doesn't excuse Russian trolls for hoaxes such as "Pizzagate" or "Pope endorses Trump". Using bots to generate millions of additional hits on Breitbart, Daily Caller, Fox News and the Gateway Pundit doesn't exonerate the Russians or excuse them for their attempts at interference.

This seems to be one of those classic cases where something which is generally known and not particularly earth-shattering is repackaged as a dramatic revelation for propaganda purposes.

The Propaganda Tools Used By Russia to Influence the 2016 Election
blatham

Sun 18 Feb, 2018 02:25 pm
@izzythepush,
This is very encouraging. If organized and aligned, this youthful movement along with the rise of female activism as we've seen in the Mother's March could push America back in the direction of sanity.
blatham

Sun 18 Feb, 2018 02:29 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Warsteiner?
Introduced to this beer at Christmas and so I no longer drink Becks. It's quite delicious.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sun 18 Feb, 2018 02:35 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

To call a survivor of a mass shooting a "female dog" is even low for your unmorality.

I would agree that it is indiscreet, at the current moment insensitive, and overall less than cordial, but mass shootings and any other highly traumatic event doesn't create saints or experts of those that survive.

They may create heroes and to the extent that they lived through the event they might be considered "experts" on that portion of the event which they experienced but that's about it.

I've really no idea of whether or not this is true in Europe or elsewhere, but in the United States, there is a strong cult of victimhood that goes beyond the left's desire to indulge the desires of anyone who can lay claim to the status.

After 9/11 the families of the victims ascended to a higher plane of not only moral authority than the one upon which the rest of us reside, they instantly became policy experts on any and every issue that could be related to the event. Reports, pundits, and politicians (of both parties) dubbed them "The Families" and we all knew which families they were. They were constantly being invoked to support one policy or another or consulted for their input on everything from what the 9/11 Memorial should look like (appropriate) to security measures and extreme interrogation methods (pointless). In reality, "The Families" were not, by any means, monolithic in any way other than their grief.

Obviously, these people suffered tremendously as have the families of those school children in FL who were killed. The survivors of the school shooting have suffered as well whether it's by virtue of the loss of friends or the psychological trauma it caused. (Interestingly enough 9/11 survivors were never granted special status despite the face that they suffered every bit as much as the school children survivors. I guess their number was just too great to manage) However, there is nothing intrinsically or metaphysically more intense or harmful in the suffering of The Families or the Studen Survivors (sooner or later they'll get a moniker) than of the families of the victims of drunken drivers, stray bullets from drive-by gangsters, or terminal childhood cancers.

Suffering can and usually does transform people, although not always for the better, but it doesn't automatically imbue the sufferers with a special morality or particular expertise.

The young woman in this example has every right to voice her opinion about gun control and what she believes is perfectly understandable, but the fact that she survived this shooting doesn't make it any more legitimate or reasonable than oralloy's or anyone else's. What her survival has done is given her a platform from which to voice her opinions, and that's fine providing we don't insist that she has somehow become a profit of God or a leading moral voice in our nation.

I don't know if she is part of it but a group of student survivors has formed a sort of action group that is planning yet another March for sometime in March of this year. I saw them on TV this morning and those that actually spoke were impressive. Intelligent, articulate and overall reserved rather than emotional. however, while they repeatedly made the point that their efforts were not about Red or Blue, Republican or Democrat or politics of any sort (it was pretty clear that this was a well-planned message and not spontaneous) one young man made a statement to the effect of "And any politician who takes money from the NRA is done" which immediately contradicted their claim of having an apolitical agenda.

Although I find it impossible to believe that these young people have managed to organize a nationwide demonstration, and secure airtime on the Sunday news shows without the help of connected adults (maybe a family member or maybe they were approached by outsiders), there is nothing objectionable about it, and if they are able to keep their efforts non-partisan (which I highly doubt) it will be extremely admirable. Regardless, it's still impressive, but again there is no reason to believe that these students bring anything truly unique to the discussion of the problem, nor that by surviving the tragedy they must be listened to by every American.

Steve Scalise survived a mass shooting, but somehow he didn't achieve the same level of victim sainthood as the other survivors, nor should he have, but I very much doubt there is anyone on the left who is willing to give his anti-gun control position any additional consideration or credence because he was shot by an unhinged Bernie Sanders supporter, and hospitalized for a month.

The father of one of the students who died in the shooting has been viciously attacked on Twitter for posting a photo of himself holding up a photo of his daughter, and wearing a Trump t-shirt.

Now I've little doubt that you would not endorse the cruel tweets, and I have some doubt that you would not excuse the Democrats who said or tweeted that they were sorry to learn Scalise hadn't died from his wounds, but my point is that like everything in this country this tragedy has been politicized and it happened about one minute after the news broke.

People who perceive one of the survivors agreeing with their opinions on gun control, mental health etc will hold them up as both a moral and subject matter authority; and any who don't will be dismissed or even cruelly castigated.So the phony sanctimony that always accompanies these incidents is politically driven, transparent, and, frankly, disgusting.

It's sad and unfortunate that some of the victims of tragedies are used in this way, but let's face it, many of them not only allow it they seek it, because surviving a mass shooting doesn't guarantee a personality transformation or lift the person to a higher level of enlightenment. If they were someone who seeks attention and fame before the event, they were almost certain to use the event to seize both.

I've no idea how much of this applies to the individual under discussion, but the propriety of calling anyone a "female dog" isn't fundamentally affected by the fact that she survived a mass shooting, and your rebuke of oralloy is just another sanctimonious attempt to score points in this forum.
izzythepush

Sun 18 Feb, 2018 02:37 pm
@blatham,
The young are pointing the way over here too, pro European, anti Tory. Let's just hope it's not too late.
0 Replies

hightor

Sun 18 Feb, 2018 02:57 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
...in the United States, there is a strong cult of victimhood that goes beyond the left's desire to indulge the desires of anyone who can lay claim to the status.

It's hardly confined to the left.
Quote:
...and your rebuke of oralloy is just another sanctimonious attempt to score points in this forum.

Poor oralloy, victimized and thumbed down by PC-obsessed lefties for calling someone he doesn't know a "bitch". Kind of lifts him in your eyes, eh? He could be a spokesman for all right-wingers who get ganged up on by lefties on message boards!
Finn dAbuzz

Sun 18 Feb, 2018 03:08 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

She’s young, I doubt she knows that people like you even exist. Survivors of mass shootings are not going accept this as ‘the price of freedom’. The NRA may have awakened a tiger.

She made the comment about "gun advocates." Oralloy is a gun advocate and so it is perfectly reasonable for him to consider the comment directed at him among a great many others. For someone who takes comments made about liberals personally, you should be able to appreciate this.

It's interesting how you think you've managed to come to know the minds of all survivors of mass shooting, but obviously, your process is flawed because you missed the ones who survived the unhinged Bernie Sanders supporter, and a great many who survived the Las Vegas incident, and those are just two.

How did the NRA, possibly, awaken a tiger?

Actually, that's a rhetorical question because I know you hold them directly responsible for the FL shooting, but even you can't believe they actually put the gun in the hands of the shooter and gave him directions on how to achieve a maximum body count so I'm assuming that your blame is connected with the idea that they have somehow stopped any and all gun control expansions that might have prevented this.

Putting aside any incredible claim that they have every legislator who has opposed gun control under their thumb and every one who has failed to propose additional regulations, what specific proposed legislation would have so clearly prevented this shooting that any effort to oppose it is tantamount to allowing it to happen?

Notwithstanding that we probably disagree on just about every aspect of this issue, I agree with your general premise that it would be a good thing if, as has been the case with every one of these shootings, America didn't just forget about it and move on to the next Big Story, but instead has a rational public discussion of the root causes and possible array of solutions of what is a far more complex matter than: People can buy guns!

I note that you used the word "may" which, I take it, signifies that you are not entirely confident that a tiger has been awoken. On this I'm with you as well, in fact, given past history, I think it is highly unlikely that this incident will occupy the news cycle for more than a month, at most. The Republicans will resist additional gun control measures and the Democrats don't have the stomach to press them (Must be their NRA handlers telling them what to do). There might be some misguided efforts to infringe upon the rights of people who have been treated for mental health issues or simply fingered as a nut-job by neighbors, but I'm hoping cooler heads will prevail and besides the Democrats don't want anything to be done on this so they can preserve it as an election issue later this year. Without politicians in DC stoking the fires in news conferences and blustery hearings the MSM won't have much to cover and the fade will quickly begin again. There may, very well, be action taken at the State level (almost certainly in Florida) and depending upon what action is taken that will be great but as a national issue, this is going nowhere.

Frankly, if the national discussion about it continues to be largely limited to factually inaccurate claims and outrageously ugly accusations, I hope it ends tomorrow.

BillW

Sun 18 Feb, 2018 03:24 pm
@hightor,
Just a bunch of pansies hightor!
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 18 Feb, 2018 03:29 pm
Quote:
The question of whom they should believe — the president or his advisers — has befuddled European officials. German Foreign Minister Sigmar Gabriel confessed Saturday that he didn’t know where to look to understand America.

“Is it deeds? Is it words? Is it tweets?” he asked.

He said he was not sure whether he could recognize the United States.

Away from the glare of television cameras, many European diplomats and policymakers echoed the same concerns. One diplomat, speaking on condition of anonymity to avoid provoking Trump, asked whether policymakers like McMaster who adhere largely to traditional U.S. foreign policy positions were falling into the same trap as Germany’s elite during Hitler’s rise, when they continued to serve in government in the name of protecting their nation.
WP

So, that's cool.
ehBeth

Sun 18 Feb, 2018 03:38 pm
is Gates about to go?

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/2/18/17025730/rick-gates-guilty-plea-mueller

the rumbling is certainly getting louder
0 Replies

camlok

Sun 18 Feb, 2018 03:41 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
The question of whom they should believe — the president or his advisers — has befuddled European officials. German Foreign Minister Sigmar Gabriel confessed Saturday that he didn’t know where to look to understand America.

“Is it deeds? Is it words? Is it tweets?” he asked.

He said he was not sure whether he could recognize the United States.

It's the same old war criminals and terrorists that Germany has been supporting since WWII, Sigmar but you know this.

Trump is just a bigger idiot, in some respects than say your ... George Bush or Reagan or Ford, Nixon, Johnson, Kennedy, Clinton, ... .
0 Replies