monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Brandon9000

Sat 17 Feb, 2018 11:46 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
jeus christ, brndon, how unaware can you possibly be? Here's the cite for one notorious example, a Trump speech where he made 71 errors in one houre including commercial breaks
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-fact-check_us_56fc375fe4b0daf53aee9175
If you still believe anything he says without checking it yourself, you are clearly among the world's most gullible people.

Well, then, it's really odd that despite more than one request, you still haven't given me two dates and six lies for each of them. Linking in someone else's words doesn't count. Hey, I think I'll link in the Library of Congress to support all of my assertions. Also, there is, obviously a difference between lying and being incorrect. Just support your assertion that he lies on average six times a day by citing two dates and the lies he told in them. If you can't, admit that it was wrong.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 17 Feb, 2018 11:46 pm
@MontereyJack,
MPs’ ‘fake news’ inquiry barred from UK embassy
Quote:
The British embassy in Washington backtracked on promises to host a session of the parliamentary inquiry into fake news, because of worries it might offend Donald Trump, the Observer has learned.

Barely a week before MPs from the digital, culture, media and sport committee were due to arrive in Washington for the historic session on 8 February, they were informed in a letter from foreign office minister Alan Duncan that they would have to find a new venue. “We had a report back ... that either the embassy or the UK government felt this would be unhelpful because of the relationship with the US government,” said Ian Lucas, one of the committee members.

The government has sought to bolster ties with Trump since his election, with a view to securing a swift post-Brexit trade deal with the US. But the relationship has deteriorated in recent months, after Trump attacked London mayor Sadiq Khan, retweeted videos posted by the far-right Britain First group, then responded angrily when May criticised him.

Diplomats apparently feared that the committee hearings, which have also touched on possible Russian election meddling, could anger the notoriously thin-skinned president.

... ... ...
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sun 18 Feb, 2018 12:26 am
@revelette1,
I'm not sure how one can be a "co-conspirator" if one was an unwitting participant in the conspiracy.

So either there is a unique legal definition of the term or there was no reference to "unindicted co-conspirators" as has been claimed in this thread

If I give a lift to a bunch of guys who, unbeknownst to me, just robbed a bank I will have assisted them in their criminal activity, but I don't imagine the DA would be able to make a case against me as an accomplice or "co-robber." Rothstein didn't say "No American has been indicated as a co-conspirator," he said there is no allegation that any American had any knowledge of the criminal activity that is the subject of the indictment.

Of course, it's possible that in a couple of days from now Rothstein or Mueller will announce a new indictment of Russian agents and it will include allegations that certain Americans wittingly participated in the crime that is the subject of the indictment. It's also possible that an indictment of Trump Jr, Kushner, or even the President is waiting in the wings, or aliens will choose next Thursday to reveal that they have been vacationing on earth for the last 1,000 years.

Media Matters stated the obvious. Yes, any claim that the investigation is over and Trump & Co. have been exonerated is premature. Even if Mueller has closed his file on election shenanigans and collusion there could still be an open investigation on obstruction of justice and money laundering. However, Trump and his supporters can hardly be faulted for celebrating what can easily be seen as good news... particularly since the Resistance has repeatedly exposed the hard-on it gets over any tidbit of news that might seem bad for Trump, even if it's "fake news."

The reaction of many to this event removes any and all doubt (if there ever was any) about their interest being entirely motivated by partisan politics. This indictment should be good news to anyone who has been certain that the Russians meddled in the election. Mueller got his guys! Now, they are never going to face a trial or serve time, but their lives will be a little tougher now than they previously were, and we have a detailed understanding of what they were up to and should be in a better position to prevent it from happening in the next election. They even get to say “I told you so!” to the twelve people who have been insisting that the Russians didn’t meddle in the 2016 election.

The finding that no Americans wittingly participated in the meddling should also be considered good news by every American. Who wants to find out some of our fellow citizens knowingly assisted foreign agents in their efforts to “hack” our presidential election? Oh wait…members of the Resistance do, that’s who.

Anyone who honestly thinks Media Matters published this article as a public service to its readers; to simply clarify the impact of the indictment is truly gullible. This is yet another “Keep-the-Faith-true-believers" piece intended to boost the morale of the Resistance. “Yeah we know that this looks good for Trump &Co, but keep in mind no one has announced that the investigation has been completed. There still could be the bombshell we’re all hoping for!”

People who somehow expect Trump to take to Twitter and write “Want to make sure you all know there could be more indictments, and I could still be charged. No celebrating!” make me laugh.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
MontereyJack

Sun 18 Feb, 2018 01:34 am
@oralloy,
cboy,
Quote:
cboy,
jcboy wrote:
Why would a 19 year old kid demand to keep an AR-15 at the foot of their bed?

Seems like a reasonable enough place. What's the problem?

Most people would consider the fact that he was apparently obsessed with guns and used it to kill 14 schoolkids and 3 teachers kind of a problem. Apparently not oralloy.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 18 Feb, 2018 02:01 am
@oralloy,
To call a survivor of a mass shooting a "female dog" is even low for your unmorality.
izzythepush

Sun 18 Feb, 2018 02:42 am
@glitterbag,
Some people prefer wilful ignorance. They also like wasting people's time on pointless exercises. He once asked me for proof that the amount of gun fatalities is lower in the UK than US. He can't be that unaware, he just wants to disrupt the flow of the argument.

It's a sneaky underhand tactic, that's all it is. And that's all he can do because he's got no answers himself.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 18 Feb, 2018 04:47 am
@MontereyJack,
This is a movement with promise. I'm delighted to see high school age young people getting passionately involved in the country's political life.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 18 Feb, 2018 05:07 am
Quote:
Russia’s former ambassador to the United States is dismissing detailed allegations of attempted Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election as “fantasies” rooted in domestic politics.

Former Ambassador Sergei Kislyak said at the Munich Security Conference on Saturday: “I’m not sure that I can trust American law enforcement to be the most precise and truthful source of information about what Russians do.”
TPM

This is a duplicate version of what Trump (and allies) have been trying to pull off. That is, trying to sew doubts in American's minds about the their own policing and intel agencies. Trump and Kislyak are both trying to harvest/promote anti-government sentiment in (particularly) right wing corners of the US and use that to make the suggestion or claim that the Russian government is more credible than the FBI and CIA and NSA etc.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 18 Feb, 2018 05:26 am
I find that I cannot look at photos of the students who were killed in Florida. I just can't do it.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 18 Feb, 2018 05:38 am
Part of an account from a Russian who worked in their troll factory:
Quote:
I arrived there, and I immediately felt like a character in the book “1984” by George Orwell — a place where you have to write that white is black and black is white. Your first feeling, when you ended up there, was that you were in some kind of factory that turned lying, telling untruths, into an industrial assembly line. The volumes were colossal — there were huge numbers of people, 300 to 400, and they were all writing absolute untruths. It was like being in Orwell’s world.
WP
blatham

Sun 18 Feb, 2018 05:49 am
This guy is a piece of work
Quote:
Deputy White House Press Secretary Hogan Gidley claimed during an appearance on Fox News on Saturday that Democratic politicians and the mainstream press have done more to interfere in the electoral system than Russia has.

Responding to a question about the indictment handed down by Special Counsel Robert Mueller on Friday — which accused 13 Russians and three Russian companies of a coordinated social media campaign to bolster Donald Trump and undermine Hillary Clinton in the 2016 presidential election — Gidley brushed aside the allegations against Russia, and quickly pivoted to other scapegoats.

“What the Russians were trying to do, as outlined by Deputy Attorney General Rosenstein, was create chaos in the American election system,” Gidley said.

“And I will just say this: There are two groups that have created chaos more than the Russians, and that’s the Democrats and the mainstream media, who continued to push this lie on the American people for more than a year — and quite frankly Americans should be outraged by that.”
TP

This really is verging on the traitorous.
blatham

Sun 18 Feb, 2018 06:01 am
Now that Romney has announced his run, what do you think the chances are that he will continue to criticize Trump in the manner he has been over the last year? I'd say they are quite low, though that perhaps gives the word "quite" too much work to do.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sun 18 Feb, 2018 06:51 am
@blatham,
There is so much bullsh*t there, it's hard to know where to start. Of course, much of what is described as "mainstream media" is owned by conservatives. Fox is somehow exempted, although by any rational description, it's just another organ of mainstream media. Fox has seventeen wholly owned television stations and 185 affiliates. This is also a form of the tu quoque fallacy--even were it true (which it is not), moral turpitude on the part of either the Democrats or the so-called mainstream media does not justify immoral and illegal acts on the part of the Russians. More than that, this is an incredible whine insofar as the Democrats are concerned. The Republicans control the executive and legislative branches (and, effectively, the Supreme Court), and yet it is alleged that this is some witch-hunt by the Democrats. Appointing a special counsel could not have happened without a significant part of the vote coming from Republicans. Furthermore, the Republican-controlled House is conducting its own investigation.

What a pack of pathetic crybabies.