monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

hightor

Thu 1 Feb, 2018 03:20 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Democrats’ behavior at the State of the Union was embarrassing

The whole goddamned spectacle is embarrassing. It's childish. It's ostentatious. And it's totally unnecessary.
Quote:
The address fulfills rules in Article II, Section 3 of the U.S. Constitution, requiring the President to periodically "give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient."[1] During most of the country's first century, the President primarily only submitted a written report to Congress. After 1913, Woodrow Wilson, the 28th U.S. President, began the regular practice of delivering the address to Congress in person as a way to rally support for his agenda.[1] With the advent of radio and television, the address is now broadcast live across the country on many networks,[4] and thus is also used by the President as a platform to speak directly to the American people.

Wiki

Either go back to submitting a written report, submit a video, or if it's delivered in person, do it in a closed session and don't invite guests. Congress should be required to sit on their hands until the address is over.
layman

Thu 1 Feb, 2018 03:23 pm
@hightor,
The perfect stage for a natural-born con man promoter, eh? P.T. Barnum, eat your heart out.
blatham

Thu 1 Feb, 2018 03:24 pm
@BillW,
Yes, I saw that after posting. We'll have to watch and see what happens. He is different from Paul Ryan or Eric Cantor or Scott Walker in that he had a serious involvement with another career before politics whereas those other three jumped from high school right into the political game.
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 1 Feb, 2018 03:26 pm
@BillW,
BillW wrote:
MJ, that's quit tRumpian of him - he has the largest audience on A2K - yah know!

If having MontereyJack spout unfounded lies about me is "Trumpian", that's a clear admission that all the accusations against Trump are lies as well.
layman

Thu 1 Feb, 2018 03:28 pm
@layman,
I saw one Republican, who thought Trump had no chance of winning, conclude that Trump won primarily because of one simple trait: He's FEARLESS.

He could have added "shameless," and made it two, I suppose, but it's a winning combo, sho nuff.
blatham

Thu 1 Feb, 2018 03:41 pm
This actually happened
Quote:
Pruitt explained. "No one has done more to advance the rule of law than President Trump. The president has liberated our country from the political class and given America back to the people."
Benen

hightor

Thu 1 Feb, 2018 03:43 pm
@layman,
Yup, "shameless" and "fearless" are qualities which appeal to large swathes of the celebrity-obsessed electorate. And I agree; they are admirable and necessary qualities...in a confidence man.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Thu 1 Feb, 2018 03:44 pm
Hello A2K members. I've been absent due to worsening health, went into respiratory failure in December, and spent some time in the ICU. I think I'm on the mend now and able to walk up to an hour each day on my treadmill.

For the sake of my own well-being, I've been trying to stay away from the news and trying to shelve my total disgust for the current state of our political climate. Knowing that millions of people voted for Trump and still support him is probably the most disturbing aspect. Ignorance is on display at every turn and juncture. But, in the grand scheme of things, Clinton wasn't much better. So long as the corporate & billionaire oligarchy select our candidates for us and fuel the divide amongst the people via Orwellian tactics, I don't see much hope for our future as an alleged democracy. We are in the midst of fascism disguised as a democracy with our government controlled by a cabal of immoral, unethical, and self-interested billionaires.

I'm not apathetic, but what can I too other than complain? I'm too old and too sick to really make a difference. Presently, I am reading a book on my new nook (which is great to enlarge the print--a necessity for my old eyes): The Despot's Apprentice: Donald Trump's Attack on Democracy by Brian Klaas. Here are the Contents:

Introduction: American Authoritarianism?
1. Doublethink
2. Fake News!
3. Lock Her Up!
4. From Russia with Love
5. How to Rig an Election
6. Divide and Rule
7. Flood the Swamp
8. The Deep State
9. Take Your Kids to Work Day
10. The Despot's Cheerleader
11. The Ghost of Depotism Yet to Come
Conclusion: How to Save Democracy

I'm thinking about skipping forward to the conclusion. Smile

layman

Thu 1 Feb, 2018 03:48 pm
@blatham,
Sezzit all, don't it?

0 Replies

hightor

Thu 1 Feb, 2018 04:10 pm
@blatham,
Yeah, I got a kick out of this:

Quote:
If you take five white guys and put 'em with five black guys, and let 'em hang around together for about a month, and at the end of the month, you'll notice that the white guys are walking and talking and standing like the black guys do.

I experienced this firsthand, many years ago, as a soldier. It was inconceivably droll to be dressed down by some grizzled old cracker First Sergeant and he's talking like he just showed up from Harlem or Watts.
layman

Thu 1 Feb, 2018 05:49 pm
@hightor,
If ya ever go black, Darlin, then ya aint NEVER goin back.
0 Replies

layman

Thu 1 Feb, 2018 05:57 pm
@layman,
The Washington Post wrote:
Democrats’ behavior at the State of the Union was embarrassing

Democrats need a simple, clear and effective counter to that claim, and it is not to be found in the unfocused protests and reflexive petulance they showed Tuesday and again Wednesday

A little more detail, eh?:

Quote:
On Wednesday morning, House Democratic leaders went before the cameras to give their thoughts on the State of the Union. They were discursive and aimless.

Rep. Joe Crowley (D-N.Y.) denounced Trump's "racist, demonizing comments on immigrants" and the absence of any mention of Russian election interference.

Rep. Linda Sánchez (D-Calif.) said that her "first step" would be the "dreamers."

Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) hopped from immigration to opioids, budget funding caps, Trump's self-congratulation and lack of vision. She briefly pivoted to the economy ("he pads the pockets of the top 1 percent") before returning to immigration, then Russia sanctions.

Rep. James Clyburn (D-S.C.) chipped in mentions of #MeToo, Trump's insults of African nations, African American unemployment, air safety, schools, broadband, the environment and clean energy.

All important issues. But when the whole thing was over, 40 long minutes later, the only message the Democratic leaders managed to convey was that they really do not like Trump.

Probably picked them up a few gazillions votes, eh?

Nice try, cheese-eaters.
ehBeth

Thu 1 Feb, 2018 06:07 pm
@layman,
and from the same author

Quote:
I’ve been in the House chamber for many such addresses over the past couple of decades. There were highs (President George W. Bush’s speeches after the 9/11 attacks) and lows (South Carolina Rep. Joe Wilson’s “you lie!” moment). This was the most depressing, for it displayed a hopelessly divided government and people— and a president deepening the rift.

Quote:
They applauded, as well, when Trump did his usual inconsistencies and rearranging of facts. Trump proclaimed that “we are now an exporter of energy to the world” (we were an exporter for years and are still not a net exporter), that “unemployment claims have hit a 45-year low” (Trump, before taking office, had said the unemployment figures he now cites were phony), and that “the stock market has smashed one record after another” (he alleged before taking office that the record-setting market was a “bubble” and “artificial”).

Republican lawmakers, clearly, have bound themselves tightly to Trump — and Trump, just as clearly, has no wish to heal the wounds he has caused.
thack45

Thu 1 Feb, 2018 06:13 pm
@blatham,
In the game to prove who in the administration is most bananas, you gotta play to win. The quote shouldn't surprise either, coming from Scott 'H. Hughes' Pruitt, and it's reminiscent of Trump's Bane in Batman line in his inaugural address – which of course was written by two more levelheaded cabinet braintrusts, Stephen Miller and Steve Bannon.

Also from the Politico article:
Quote:
New York’s Olivia Nuzzi, meanwhile, was interested in learning more about the president’s speechwriting team ahead of Trump’s State of the Union address. She received an interesting response from the White House:

“Unfortunately we will not be able to facilitate an interview with the speechwriting team,” Lindsay Walters, a deputy press secretary, told me in an email. “On record,” she added, “when President Trump communicates with the American people, his words are his own and come directly from his heart. His unparalleled ability to speak to and connect with people from across the country, including those who have felt forgotten by Washington for many years, will never waver.”

[...]

Perhaps Lindsay Walters used a creepy description of the president’s rhetorical abilities because, well, I’m not altogether sure why.

It's the same lay-it-on-thick bad marketing prattle you'd hear from Trump himself, and reads kind of like a second rate Linkedin profile. Hucksterism is a big wheel in this administration. Walters, by the way, received a BS in marketing, advertising and PR at university.
layman

Thu 1 Feb, 2018 06:29 pm
@ehBeth,
The recruiting pitch: Are you a hater? If so, then join us! We HATE the bastard too!

Kinda like the KKK does, ya know?

Oh, yeah, this too: We won't give you "crumbs." We will tax the **** out of you so we can use the money to put Trump in prison. Whaddaya say!?
0 Replies

BillW

Thu 1 Feb, 2018 06:46 pm
@thack45,
I agree fully with what you have provided here. Some way or another tRump has a psychic link with his speech writers, yeah right! What hooey.

I do have one problem with what you have written though - "written by two more levelheaded cabinet braintrusts, Stephen Miller and Steve Bannon." These two are by no ones definition leveheaded. "Intelligent but wrong headed" would be accurate.
layman

Thu 1 Feb, 2018 06:59 pm
These politicians in DC should take care of their own damn racism before tryin to tell the whole rest of the country what to do, eh?

I'm tellin alla y'all peoples, now listen to me.....
Don't never try to buy no home in Washington DC
Cause it's a bourgeois town, oooo, it's a bourgeois town
I got the bourgeois blues, and I'm spreadin the news all around.

0 Replies

Lash

Thu 1 Feb, 2018 07:24 pm
@Debra Law,
Glad you’re on the mend and happy to see you.

Continue kickin’ ass.

0 Replies

layman

Thu 1 Feb, 2018 07:58 pm
You cheese-eaters should keep one thing in mind regarding this whole FISA fiasco: It aint just the FBI--they're just a small fraction of it.

Trump now has his boys in charge of the CIA, NSA, DOJ, DHS, INS, etc., ya know? They've been real busy studying what when down with Brennan, Clapper, Lynch and other corrupt Obama homeys, eh?

Remember this?:

Quote:
Congressional testimony by President Barack Obama’s former ambassador to the United Nations, Samantha Power, about the “unmasking” of U.S. citizens’ names she requested in hundreds of foreign intelligence intercepts by the National Security Agency, has raised new questions about how the sensitive information was ordered up, and subsequently handled.

Power spoke to the House Intelligence Committee on Oct. 13 behind closed doors, and what she said is still cloaked in secrecy. But on Oct. 17, House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Trey Gowdy, who also sits on the Intelligence Committee, told Fox News: “Her testimony is they [the unmasking requests] may be under my name, but I did not make those requests.” Gowdy said little else about the session.

The sheer volume of such requests submitted to U.S. intelligence authorities in her name was already unusual. But if she did not initiate them, then who did, and why?

How do these unmasking "requests" get attributed to someone who never requested them? Kinda strange, aint it? Who's really behind this ****? Well, it's been made known, even by Clapper his own damn self, that they had a special "select" team working on "investigating" (translation: "framing") Trump.
0 Replies

layman

Thu 1 Feb, 2018 10:44 pm
Trump cans a corrupt muslim judge, for "wanton disregard for the U.S. constitution," this says! Cool, I didn't know that. But this video is primarily about the meeeetoo phenomenon, when Tucker Carlson interviews a feminist.

Thoughts, anybody?