monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

maporsche

Thu 1 Feb, 2018 11:45 am
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Quote:
And "woke"? Are you not aware how your regular adoption of popular emerging right wing nomenclature isn't serving you well?

Right wing nomenclature? Who do you think you are kidding, "woke" is the very language used by those baby college leftists when pushing their left wing agenda, especally in relation to minority issues.

Woke:
https://www.bustle.com/articles/134893-what-does-woke-mean-theres-more-to-the-slang-term-than-you-think

Where does a person in there 30's, 40's, 50's become acquainted with such a term?
camlok

Thu 1 Feb, 2018 11:50 am
@maporsche,
Quote:
Where does a person in there 30's, 40's, 50's become acquainted with such a term?

From totally hip people like Finn.
0 Replies

hightor

Thu 1 Feb, 2018 11:57 am
@maporsche,
Quote:
Who do you think you are kidding, "woke" is the very language used by those baby college leftists when pushing their left wing agenda, especally in relation to minority issues.

I refuse to use the term and will continue with the traditional "awakened", thank you very much.

(As with much USAmerican slang, it originated in the black community. It was first seen in a 1962 Op-Ed in the New York Times by William Kelley entitled "If You're Woke, You Dig It".)
hightor

Thu 1 Feb, 2018 12:00 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:
This all fly's in the face that Clinton had protection from Obama and his admin.

I don't follow your reasoning here. I don't see how it relates to the article in question. Nice try though.
0 Replies

camlok

Thu 1 Feb, 2018 12:07 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:
Right wing nomenclature? Who do you think you are kidding,

blatham must be kidding because he never makes mistakes.

Quote:
"woke" is the very language used by those baby college leftists when pushing their left wing agenda, especally in relation to minority issues.

Actually it is a fully functioning part of the English language that comes from, you'd know if you read your own article, AAVE.

Why do you so hate education? Had you some of your own, it might have prevented you from drawing such terribly illogical conclusions, for instance, pretending to think there were Arab hijackers on Sept 11, 2001, when you know it is totally impossible that they could have melted, let alone vaporized WTC steel.
0 Replies

camlok

Thu 1 Feb, 2018 12:13 pm
@hightor,
maporsche didn't write that quote.

Quote:
I refuse to use the term and will continue with the traditional "awakened", thank you very much.

That is not the PP of 'woke'. If you want to be a language snob you should at least know what you are talking about.

This is a meaning that has long been part of Standard English.

M-W: c : to arouse conscious interest in : alert —usually used with to - woke the public to the risks
Baldimo

Thu 1 Feb, 2018 12:15 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:

The internet is a wonderful resource filled with story after story of what takes place on college campuses. Not to mention I have 5 kids ages 23-15...
Walter Hinteler

Thu 1 Feb, 2018 12:39 pm
Quote:
The Trump administration has stripped enforcement powers away from Consumer Financial Protection Bureau office that specializes in pursuing cases against financial firms accused of breaking discrimination laws, according to two people familiar with the matter and emails reviewed by The Washington Post.

The move comes about two months after President Trump installed his budget chief, Mick Mulvaney, at the head of an agency that has long been in the crosshairs of Republicans. The Office of Fair Lending and Equal Opportunity had placed penalties on lenders that it said had systematically imposed interest rates on minorities that were higher than those for whites.

Now that office, which had been part a powerful CFPB division, will move inside the office of director, where staffers will be focused on “advocacy, coordination and education,” according to an email Mulvaney sent them this week. They will no longer have responsibility for enforcement and day-to-day oversight of companies, he said.
WaPo
hightor

Thu 1 Feb, 2018 12:46 pm
@camlok,
Quote:
maporsche didn't write that quote.

Right. I'm replying to his post though. If I 'd written it this way...
maporsche wrote:
xxx

...then your criticism would have been warranted.

But thanks for your concern.
Quote:
If you want to be a language snob you should at least know what you are talking about.

Had I wanted to be grammatically correct I would have used "woken" — which is probably what the current informal usage of the term should be. As slang, the word has been removed from the grammatical requirements of standard English. "Awakened" seems a better term to describe that particular state of being and to me it sounds much nicer.
BillW

Thu 1 Feb, 2018 12:58 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

Quote:
Schiff accuses Nunes of making secret changes to classified memo

Rep. Devin Nunes “secretly altered” a classified and controversial memo about secret surveillance during the 2016 presidential campaign before he sent it to the White House for review, Rep. Adam Schiff said on Wednesday night.

A spokesman for Nunes (R-Tulare), who chairs the House Intelligence Committee, said the adjustments were only “minor edits” and brushed off the accusation from Schiff (D-Burbank), the panel’s ranking Democrat.

In a letter to Nunes, Schiff wrote that “material changes” were made to the four-page document that members of Congress were able to read before the GOP-led House Intelligence Committee voted along party lines Monday to release it.

LAT

This is a totally, unmitigated act of corruption. This fish smells and it begins at the head. There is ample evidence that Dunes was/is acting under the strictures of the WH and tRump! With aid and abetting from Ryan. The whole lot of them are crooks, and it appears to run pretty deep into the Repuklian party too. Lock them up!
0 Replies

BillW

Thu 1 Feb, 2018 01:02 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Trite Gowdy has announced he will not seek reelection, DRINKS ARE ON ME
Been very busy and hadn't read that. He's an ambitious little man. If not politics, surely lobbying and big bucks, like Cantor.

Word is out, it is a Federal Judgeship, one is open that he thinks has his name on it. Fo Figure! I bet he can see the writing on the wall with a number of even HofR congressmen destined for prison.....
BillW

Thu 1 Feb, 2018 01:06 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

A very good article, it should smack at some our republican's conscience but I know it won't.

1st requirement - have to have one!
0 Replies

BillW

Thu 1 Feb, 2018 01:21 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

Quote:

Your latest failure to point out any facts that I was wrong about is noted.
Your continued reposting of absolute nonsense which has been amply pointed out as bilge is noted

MJ, that's quit tRumpian of him - he has the largest audience on A2K - yah know!
BillW

Thu 1 Feb, 2018 01:25 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

And ...
Quote:
On Wednesday, Alex Jones claimed that an incident in which a train carrying GOP lawmakers crashed into a truck earlier that day was not simply an accident that claimed one life. Rather, he said it was a "kamikaze" attack and evidence that the U.S. is currently in the midst of a "civil war".
Salon

Before that, on Tuesday, Alex Jones claimed that the primarily fictional "deep state" wants to "set a nuke off in D.C.". Salon

Gads, it's obvious that was a purely symbolic act showing the Repuklians are leading this country to a train wreck!
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 1 Feb, 2018 02:12 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
And ...
Quote:
On Wednesday, Alex Jones claimed that an incident in which a train carrying GOP lawmakers crashed into a truck earlier that day was not simply an accident that claimed one life. Rather, he said it was a "kamikaze" attack and evidence that the U.S. is currently in the midst of a "civil war".
Salon

Before that, on Tuesday, Alex Jones claimed that the primarily fictional "deep state" wants to "set a nuke off in D.C.". Salon
Jesus christ. I had not read that.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 1 Feb, 2018 02:35 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:
How do they even identify "leftist churches?"
Jones is in the mode of Glenn Beck and Limbaugh - gaining enormous wealth through building up an audience of the most paranoid, gullible and disturbed citizens and then making them even more paranoid and disturbed while suckering them into spending on whatever their equally corrupt and immoral advertisers have on offer. These are truly ugly people.

There's no good reason to imagine that Beck or Limbaugh or Jones (or many others of the sort) believe what they say. As can be said about Trump, of course. They're all running a con. From the same broadcast...
Quote:
And you’ve seen globalist operatives go on MSNBC and CNN and say, “If you release the memo, there will be massacres in America.” So what they’re saying is false flags will be done against the Democratic Party and their own operatives and then we will blame you just like [the] Oklahoma City [bombing], which was totally Bill Clinton and Hillary. We know who did it, the names, the hotel receipts, it all came out in lawsuits. I’ve interviewed the police officers that survived, the family members of the police officer that was murdered because he saw the bombs in the building, Terrance Yeakey. I’ve made three films on it. That was a Clinton inside job, 100 percent

But if any culture would incentivize destructive rabble-rousing of this magnitude, it would be modern America.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 1 Feb, 2018 03:05 pm
@maporsche,
Finn's statement was:
Quote:
@maporsche,
I can't account for your cognitive deficits, but please spare me your woke pomposity

The origins of the word "nigger" are likely Indo-European, meaning "night" and associated with "black". The meanings it picked up later are as we all understand. Original provenance is interesting but politically and socially irrelevant to later use.

Finn clearly uses this term as a derogation, because blacks have used it as a slang term. It is a derogation of black culture and black people when used as Finn has used it. And that is its provenance in right wing political commentary. It has no or few instances of use in white political commentary whatsoever and certainly not as a racial derogation.

Finn's use replicates other terms that have gained currency in present right wing media such as "snowflake" or "cheese-eater".
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 1 Feb, 2018 03:06 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Now, there's some swamp-draining.
0 Replies

layman

Thu 1 Feb, 2018 03:07 pm
Trump rings the bell and wins himself a cigar with his SOTU address, so the cheese-eaters have turned to Alex Jones for someone to attack. Even their homeys at WaPo have to fess up that their reactions are pathetic, eh?:

The Washington Post wrote:
Democrats’ behavior at the State of the Union was embarrassing

It gives me no pleasure to say this, but the Democrats' behavior at the State of the Union was embarrassing. I take a back seat to nobody in decrying President Trump's cynical and divisive performance. But the Democrats, with their childish protests, took the bait.

Dozens of Democrats refused to stand when the president entered the House chamber, forgetting that one stands out of respect for the office, not the officeholder.

Trump's message is straightforward: Businesses are coming home, jobs are increasing, wages are growing, and American confidence is returning. Democrats need a simple, clear and effective counter to that claim, and it is not to be found in the unfocused protests and reflexive petulance they showed Tuesday and again Wednesday

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/democrats-behavior-at-the-state-of-the-union-was-embarassing/2018/01/31/b2461c1a-06cc-11e8-8777-2a059f168dd2_story.html?utm_term=.aebdd72f0707

Played by Trump, yet again, eh, cheese-eaters?

Played more badder than Elmore James plays bottle-neck guitar, which no one thought was possible, even.
blatham

Thu 1 Feb, 2018 03:17 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
"Awakened" seems a better term to describe that particular state of being and to me it sounds much nicer.
To my ear as well. But as you remarked earlier, much American slang originates in black culture. For example, when Louis Armstrong first hit New York City, the young and hip white New Yorkers became greatly enamored of black southern slang, idioms, dress and behavior.

Slang is not just informal (though that can have intrinsic appeal) it is often quite efficient in communicating something, using fewer words or rolling off the tongue more fluidly. It commonly functions in the manner of poetry. I once read that serious organ players referred to the foot pedals as "firewood". I'm not certain that's so but it would not surprise me at all.

George Carlin had a wonderful take that touched on this stuff
Quote:
If you take five white guys and put 'em with five black guys, and let 'em hang around together for about a month, and at the end of the month, you'll notice that the white guys are walking and talking and standing like the black guys do. You'll never see the black guys going, "Oh, golly! We won the big game today, yes sir!