monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

BillW

Sun 28 Jan, 2018 01:09 pm
@blatham,
Agreed, it maybe at its zenith now but it had received its greatest victory in the Supreme Court's ruling in Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission in 2010.
BillW

Sun 28 Jan, 2018 01:16 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

"Awkward" seems insufficient in this case.

But, unfortunately, normal!
0 Replies

BillW

Sun 28 Jan, 2018 01:18 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Paul Waldman
‏@paulwaldman1
Just wondering: Has anyone blamed Melania for Donald's philandering the way they blamed Hillary for Bill's, or attacked Melania for staying with Donald the way they did Hillary?

Once again, unfortunately, normal! All these "normal" qualities just go to prove just how much the republicans are the party of the deplorables!
hightor

Sun 28 Jan, 2018 01:23 pm
Zardoz wrote:
Trump and his termites are doing immeasurable harm to America and the sad part is that most people will never realize what is happening. Trump has proudly bragged that he will do away with two regulations for every new regulation. The Republicans have made regulation a bad word with no consideration whether a regulation serves a purpose. In the last century a regulation put in place forbade child labor up until it was passed child labor was the norm. I saw a picture of the workers at a mine and none of the employee looked to be more than twelve. We take a lot for granted we think the world has always been the way we found it. Certain incidences are expunged from the history that we are taught. I lived in West Virginia and was taught West Virginia history but there were two big events that were expunged one was the New River Disaster and word disaster usually describes a flood or tornado something far beyond the control of man. New River on the other hand was not a force of nature but an intentional act of men. Buying respirators for several hundred men would have been expensive but management when inspecting the tunnel was provided respirators. This wasn’t done out of ignorance since the time of the Romans it was known what exposure silica did to men. The fact that 600 workers a year are still dying of silicosis is criminal. For Trump to do away with regulations meant to stop people from dying at work is criminal.

The other instance was the Battle of Blair Mountain considered the biggest armed insurrection since the Civil War. The West Virginia coal miners literally went to war with the coal operators. This was no doubt sparked by how miners were treated by the coal operators. At New River when miners became too sick to work armed sheriff deputies working for the contractors forced them to work at gun point. There were so many men dying that the grave yards were full, and a farm was used to bury the dead. Blasting was used to dig the tunnel and after a blast the silica dust was so thick you could not see but the miners were forced to go into the tunnel. It is unbelievable that employees could be treated that way but in the coal mines people were considered dirt and replaceable. The Battle of Blair Mountain was when unions first started to flex their muscle. The mine operators were trying to stop southern West Virginia’s coal mines from being unionized. The coal operators used hired guns to intimidate the miners. The Baldwin-Felts Detective Agency came to Matewan to evict striking miners from company housing. Albert Felts offered a $500 bribe to the Mayor of Matewan to place machine guns on the roofs of the buildings in town which the mayor turned down. A group of miners were deputized by Sid Hatfield, Police Chief of Matewan, and they confronted the twelve Baldwin-Felts agents in the street and a shootout worthy of the shootout at the OK Corral ensued. When the smoke cleared seven of the Baldwin Felts hired guns laid dead in the street including two of the Felts brothers. Sid Hatfield went on trial in McDowell County and he was gunned down unarmed by the Baldwin Felts agents on the court house steps. Next 7,000-armed coalminers marched on the Logan County coal fields over a million rounds were exchanged. West Virginia was like the old west where hired guns could shoot down people in the streets without punishment. I know why the coal operators got that incident expunged from the history books. Matewan became a movie and maybe one day the Battle of Blair Mountain will be made into a movie also.
wmwcjr

Sun 28 Jan, 2018 01:33 pm
@hightor,
It is to weep.
wmwcjr

Sun 28 Jan, 2018 02:07 pm
Looks aren't everything. I've known some physically attractive individuals who were ugly on the inside.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Sun 28 Jan, 2018 02:17 pm
@wmwcjr,
Whoever thumbed me down has succeeded in making himself look like a fool. This is elementary stuff. The mistreatment of workers cited by hightor is morally indefensible.

Hey, buddy (whoever you are), in addition to proving yourself to be a coward by not revealing your identity, you also don't make a good case for your political ideology. No thanks, social darwinism is not for me.
wmwcjr

Sun 28 Jan, 2018 02:24 pm
@wmwcjr,
Well, at least two of us are cowards.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 28 Jan, 2018 03:19 pm
@blatham,
I think people just don't expect much of Mrs. #45. They think HRC is a responsible adult woman. Though why she should be responsible for the actions of other people is a mystery.
Finn dAbuzz

Sun 28 Jan, 2018 05:02 pm
@hightor,
The nation has changed quite a lot since The Battle of Blair Mountain.

Do you know the regulations that Trump is doing away with which will result in people being injured or dying?

There are a myriad of governmental regulations that have nothing to do with safety
Builder

Sun 28 Jan, 2018 05:02 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
They think HRC is a responsible adult woman.

Thanks for the giggles. Seriously, those people must live under a rock.

0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Setanta

Sun 28 Jan, 2018 08:54 pm
Which, of course, has nothing to do with Plump and relevant contemporary events.
Builder

Sun 28 Jan, 2018 09:20 pm
@Setanta,
Talk to your wife about that, homes; I was responding to her post.
0 Replies

oristarA

Mon 29 Jan, 2018 02:14 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Melania never made a bunch of loud, bitchy speeches including the immortal words, “I’m not some ‘Tammy Wynette / Stand by your man’ woman.

Hahaha. Yes, the **** she is.

Hillary has always been her own worst enemy.

Well, except for me. Ok, she’s always been her own second worst enemy.

But Hillary won the popular vote, not Trump, after all.

And you?
Builder

Mon 29 Jan, 2018 02:23 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
.....Hillary won the popular vote ....,

Damn lucky it's not a popularity contest then, ain't we?
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 29 Jan, 2018 05:56 am
@BillW,
Quote:
Agreed, it maybe at its zenith now but it had received its greatest victory in the Supreme Court's ruling in Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission in 2010.
Yes, CU was/is a critical blow to democracy but we ought to keep in mind that the Koch boys have been at this game (though they had been very much under the radar, purposefully, until Mayer's exposes) for decades.
BillW

Mon 29 Jan, 2018 06:13 am
@blatham,
For sure, it certainly hails back to The Rehnquist Court for its beginnings. It is just the abominable results of the "Citizens" case is the almighty $ has more power than the vote and is more easily (and singularity) manipulated by the wealthy. Which of course is the theme of the tRump pResidency.
0 Replies