monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

revelette1

Wed 24 Jan, 2018 07:34 am
Analysis: Day of bombshells takes Mueller probe to critical point (CNN)
0 Replies

revelette1

Wed 24 Jan, 2018 07:36 am
@blatham,
I know, scared me to death. The initials of their school is the same as the high school my own 15 year old granddaughter goes to in KY. Different school. Horrible and senseless.
0 Replies

revelette1

Wed 24 Jan, 2018 08:18 am
A guide to the anti-FBI conspiracy theories (WP)

0 Replies

nimh

Wed 24 Jan, 2018 08:50 am
The rehabilitation of GWB has been a sight to behold, and some of the usual liberal suspects share part of the blame:

https://i.imgur.com/ASjMHsC.png
BillW

Wed 24 Jan, 2018 09:06 am
@nimh,
Forget and forgive! GWB's second term; after he got rid of Rumpsfelt, subdued the NeoCons and ignored Cheney - well, he became ok and a good ole bumbling idiot. Kind of, anyways.......
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 24 Jan, 2018 09:55 am
@nimh,
I don't' think that's entirely fair. Two main reasons:
1) I don't know of any leader who, after moving out of the spotlight, didn't see their approval stats go back in a positive direction

2) but the more important aspect here is Trump's unique level of corruption. The financial corruption is obvious but not the key problem or dilemma. That is Trump's unprecedented dishonesty and his attacks (daily) on anyone who challenges him, most particularly, the news media. But it is broader than that because Trump is calling into doubt not merely voices who challenge him but also he calls into doubt any means of establishing truth or facts where he suspects this might cause him damage.

We've never seen anything like this before in US politics and it presents an enormous challenge to news entities - a situation made much worse with the right having built up its own media universe which pretty consistently acts to bolster Trump and his administration. As many media observers (like Jay Rosen) have argued, the combination of the factors I've just noted have confused and neutered most mainstream media. Most people in news media seem to understand quite acutely that Trump is both unique and a real threat to democracy but they haven't yet developed tools or strategies to effectively cope with Trumpism. And obviously, certain habits - the quest for objective and reasoning coverage of divergent views - has driven them far too often to equivalence formulations that make truth/facts more opaque.

One means available to the press (and to us) of properly describing Trumpism is to compare what's going on now with prior GOP administrations/persons. This avoids the problem of Dem versus Republican narratives and biases. That Bush junior benefits from a positive comparison when set against Trump, that is simply inevitable. If someone hits you once with a baseball bat, that's a drag. But if someone else hits you ten times with a baseball bat, the first person doesn't look so bad.

Edit: one final point. The crap we all know about that marked W's administration is moving into history. Bush does not present any current danger to America's left. But all the varied dangers of Trump in the WH are in the present and near future. Trump is the correct target for attention and criticism, where that's due.

0 Replies

Baldimo

Wed 24 Jan, 2018 10:01 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Don't try any cry baby sh*t.

It seems to me, you were the one crying about something I said about 10 years ago.

Quote:
It doesn't matter how many illegals there are now, or were in 1986.

Of course it matters, you just don't want it to matter. We have an immigration problem and giving out citizenship to illegal immigrants is going to fix the problem now. From 3 million illegal immigrants to almost 15 million. Yeah, the numbers matter.

Quote:
The point is that that border wall is a joke, and an unnecessary drain on the treasury.

That is your personal opinion and it is tainted by your open borders thinking.

Quote:
There's millions to be made by the coyotes, and billions to be made by the drug lords.

It's good to know you favor the profits made by these crooks rather than a secure US border.

Quote:
They'll find a way under, over or through the wall, you can count on it.

It's the job of our govt and actually the Mexican govt to prevent such things.

Quote:
I'm not surprised that you didn't understand that.

Oh I understood it just fine, I just don't by how easy you think it will be for them to get around the wall. Since we know there are hackers, should we just stop updating out PC protection, they are going to get in anyways...
0 Replies

revelette1

Wed 24 Jan, 2018 10:25 am
RNC chair defends Trump’s political litmus test for the FBI (TP)

Quote:
During an interview on CNN on Wednesday morning, RNC chair Ronna McDaniel said she has no concerns about a report indicating President Trump grilled then-acting FBI director Andrew McCabe about who he voted for in the 2016 election.

“I think it’s just a conversation — I don’t think it intends, you know, all these terrible things that people are trying to put forward,” she said. “I ask people who they vote for sometimes. I think it’s just trying to get to know somebody.”

McDaniel was referencing a Washington Post report detailing that Trump — shortly after firing then-FBI Director James Comey amid the bureau’s active investigation into his campaign — had a meeting with McCabe during which he asked who McCabe voted for in the 2016 election.

“McCabe said he didn’t vote, according to [current and former U.S.] officials, who, like others interviewed for this article, spoke on the condition of anonymity to talk candidly about a sensitive matter,” the Post reported. “McCabe, who has spent more than two decades at the bureau, found the conversation with Trump ‘disturbing,’ said one former U.S. official.”

The Post report also notes that Trump “vented his anger at McCabe over the several hundred thousand dollars in donations that his wife, a Democrat, received for her failed 2015 Virginia state Senate bid from a political action committee controlled by a close friend of Hillary Clinton.”

Quote:
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
How can FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe, the man in charge, along with leakin’ James Comey, of the Phony Hillary Clinton investigation (including her 33,000 illegally deleted emais) be given $700,000 for wife’s campaign by Clinton Puppets during investigation?

Trump’s December tweet contains numerous factually inaccuracies. McCabe’s wife, Jill McCabe, received $500,000 from a PAC controlled by then-Virginia governor Terry McAuliffe for an unsuccessful Virginia senate bid she made in 2015, before the Clinton email investigation began.

Asking McCabe who he supported for president is just the latest example of Trump putting political pressure on the Department of Justice, which is supposed to operate independently of political influence.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 24 Jan, 2018 10:47 am
@revelette1,
Mueller wants to interview Trump. The president’s willingness to talk keeps changing.
Quote:
Special counsel Robert S. Mueller III is seeking to question President Trump, but Trump's willingness to engage is unclear because he and his team keep changing their answers when questioned by reporters.
... ... ...

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 24 Jan, 2018 11:00 am
https://hotair.com/archives/2018/01/23/sen-johnson-informant-tells-us-doj-secret-society-holding-meetings-offsite/?utm_source=hadaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nl

Sen. Johnson: An Informant Claims There Was A DOJ ‘Secret Society’ Holding Meetings Offsite
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 24 Jan, 2018 11:01 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I bet he does, and while the optics will be lousy, Trump should refuse, which is what any defense lawyer worth his or her salt would advise him.
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 24 Jan, 2018 11:05 am
https://hotair.com/archives/2018/01/23/bret-weinstein-yes-left-eating/?utm_source=hadaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nl

Gorge yourselves guys!

Quote:
Weinstein goes on to say that he believes many of the people on the left are unaware that they are part of something which contains these extremist tendencies, which he describes as “unholy and un-American.”

Quote:
My own take, and the reason I wanted to highlight this, is that I believe Weinstein is basically correct that the activist left is an insurgency which is attempting to assert dominance over the left. It is currently seeking to spread its own quasi-religious ideas (intersectionality, safe spaces, micro-aggressions, etc.) paired with authoritarian tactics (shouting down opponents, no-platforming, mob violence) and if it succeeds we will be well on our way to finding out what the authoritarian left’s idea of equity really looks like.
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 24 Jan, 2018 11:08 am
@glitterbag,
I see you changed your sig lime (BTW it's incoherent. You should stick to direct quotes or at least have the integrity to separate what I've said and what you've added with quotation marks)

In any case, your obsession with me might be flattering if it wasn't so damned creepy.
Lash

Wed 24 Jan, 2018 11:12 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
She’s obviously traded poor George ob1 in for you.

Stop being so charming!
Walter Hinteler

Wed 24 Jan, 2018 12:19 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
I bet he does, and while the optics will be lousy, Trump should refuse, which is what any defense lawyer worth his or her salt would advise him.
Right, it's better to say nothing than to go even deeper in the scheiße by a statement - that's a literal quote one of Germany's best-known defence lawyers told me. [Bossi, completely in German, in a pub, during the lunch break of a trial I attended as probation officer.]
Walter Hinteler

Wed 24 Jan, 2018 12:26 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Senior U.S. intelligence officers including CIA Director Mike Pompeo have been questioned by the U.S. special counsel’s team about whether President Donald Trump tried to obstruct justice in the Russia probe, sources told Reuters on Wednesday.

uch questioning indicates Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s federal investigation into alleged Russian meddling in the 2016 U.S. election and potential collusion by Trump’s campaign has extended to examine the president’s actions around the probe.

... ... ...
reuters
Baldimo

Wed 24 Jan, 2018 12:50 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Since that can't find "collusion" they have to move on to what he did while they found nothing.
Below viewing threshold (view)
revelette1

Wed 24 Jan, 2018 01:03 pm
Quote:
Senators start new effort at immigration deal

WASHINGTON — Senators from both parties started a fresh search Wednesday for compromise immigration legislation, but leaders conceded that the effort won't be easy and were already accusing each other of blame should the effort falter.

Around three dozen senators, evenly divided among Republicans and Democrats, planned to meet late Wednesday in what No. 2 Senate GOP leader John Cornyn of Texas said he hoped would "get people thinking about a framework that might actually work." Their goal is to produce a bipartisan package to protect from deportation the "Dreamers" — hundreds of thousands of immigrants in the U.S. illegally after being brought here as children — and to provide billions to toughen border security.

Reuters

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 24 Jan, 2018 01:07 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
Since that can't find "collusion" they have to move on to what he did while they found nothing.
Law enforcement activities 101.