monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 22 Jan, 2018 04:54 pm
@maporsche,
If someone came up to you and said: "The sky is orange!" Would you refrain from telling them they are wrong?
maporsche

Mon 22 Jan, 2018 05:01 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
If that someone was you Finn, then of course . You must be omnipotent in order to make such bold proclamations without asking for or expecting disagreement.

Who can argue (or really, who’d want to) with someone who wants to end discussion in such ways?
ehBeth

Mon 22 Jan, 2018 06:07 pm
link

Quote:
Montana's Democratic Gov. Steve Bullock on Monday signed an executive order mandating that internet service providers with state government contracts to adhere net neutrality principles.

Why it matters: Bullock is the first governor in the country to make such a move a month after the FCC rolled back net neutrality rules.
The details: Under the order, a company that has a telecom contract with the state must not block or throttle lawful web content, nor "interfere with users’ ability to select, access, and use broadband internet access service," per a statement from Bullock's office. These practices were prohibited under the net neutrality order the FCC overturned last December.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Mon 22 Jan, 2018 07:45 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I don't know about you, but I've seen a lot of sunsets where that would be perfectly true. Just sayin. (I would suspect it's also true about a lot of sunrises, butI tend to avoid them on principle}
0 Replies

glitterbag

Mon 22 Jan, 2018 09:48 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

There's something to be said for someone who recognizes when they've been shut down.

I mean, you simply bluntly told me that I'm wrong. You, being the ultimate decider of all things, are infallible and cannot be argued with.

There is something to be said for someone who is so ideological they freaking believe they are the only ones who know """"THE TRUTH"""""". \Da da da da, da da da da duhhh
izzythepush

Tue 23 Jan, 2018 02:15 am
@glitterbag,
Exactly, fixed, inflexible ideology means they don't know what the truth is. Take the orange sky, dismissed by the unthinking man, but it's actually something that does happen. His analogy sums up his thinking perfectly.

Quote:
The sky across large parts of England has turned an eerie colour today.

Dubbed the 'hurricane sun', the bizarre glow has been caused by the tail-end of Hurricane Ophelia.

People in the south west and on the south coast reported seeing a blood red sky this morning.

Later on, the weird weather phenomenon spread further north towards Manchester and Liverpool, and across towards London. The colour of the sky gradually changed to orange and then yellow by mid-afternoon.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/eerie-orange-green-hurricane-sun-11349554

This was Southampton.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/resources/images/2515419/
0 Replies

hightor

Tue 23 Jan, 2018 03:25 am
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 23 Jan, 2018 04:07 am
8.2 earthquake off the coast of Alaska.

Tsunami watch for the Pacific Ocean.

http://ptwc.weather.gov/
Builder

Tue 23 Jan, 2018 05:30 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
8.2 earthquake off the coast of Alaska.

That's a big shakeup.
0 Replies

hightor

Tue 23 Jan, 2018 05:32 am
We were discussing this a few weeks ago. Basically it boils down to trying to make one single term apply to several different concepts.

The Uses and Abuses of “Neoliberalism”

Quote:
“Neoliberalism” came into its current usage on the American left through a much messier past than is usually acknowledged. Its whirlwind growth threatens to obscure a set of already existing terms whose analytical and political bite is sharper than the cloud of meanings “neoliberalism” embraces. At a time when social realism in language is needed as never before, “neoliberalism” poses severe disadvantages were progressives to try to use it in the political sphere. Neoliberalism’s advantage is its verbal and conceptual bigness.

But the problem with neoliberalism is neither that it has no meaning nor that it has an infinite number of them. It is that the term has been applied to four distinctly different phenomena. “Neoliberalism” stands, first, for the late capitalist economy of our times; second, for a strand of ideas; third, for a globally circulating bundle of policy measures; and fourth, for the hegemonic force of the culture that surrounds and entraps us. These four neoliberalisms are intricately related, of course. But the very act of bundling them together, tucking their differences, loose ends, and a clear sense of their actually existing relations under the fabric of a single word, may, perversely, obscure what we need to see most clearly.

Dissent
Below viewing threshold (view)
hightor

Tue 23 Jan, 2018 05:59 am
@Builder,
Quote:
Actually, it wasn't so far back that you and your sycophant cronies denied it even existed, so pull your head in, Tonto.

Yeah, okay. Except that in the exchanges I was referring to no one denied that it existed.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Tue 23 Jan, 2018 06:06 am
@hightor,
Has the U.S. Become a ‘Trumpocracy’?
Quote:
Has America become a “Trumpocracy,” and is what we’re watching a tragedy or a farce? Ross Douthat, a Times Op-Ed columnist, and David Frum, a senior editor at The Atlantic and the author of “Trumpocracy: The Corruption of the American Republic,” debated these questions in an online discussion.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
maporsche

Tue 23 Jan, 2018 06:22 am
@georgeob1,
Oh yes. It’s the Democrats fault too that the republicans in Congress cannot or will not even submit a budget proposal to be voted on.
Walter Hinteler

Tue 23 Jan, 2018 06:41 am
@maporsche,
Half of Republicans say they think Trump is a ‘genius’ — which is probably not true but hugely telling
Quote:
We may have found the one poll question that communicates just how much of the Republican Party base is fully committed to President Trump.

In response to growing questions about his mental fitness, Trump tweeted a few weeks back that he wasn't just stable, but in fact a “very stable genius.” Polling since then has asked whether people feel Trump is indeed stable, but the new Washington Post-ABC News poll goes one step further and also asks whether Trump is a genius. ... ... ...

https://i.imgur.com/53wKCnz.jpg

... ... ...
Setanta

Tue 23 Jan, 2018 06:47 am
It is just incredible to me that conservatives are attempting to blame all the ills of this stumble-bum government on the Democrats, who do not control either house of the Congress. It's one of the worst cases of the emperor's new clothes that I've ever seen in American politics.
hightor

Tue 23 Jan, 2018 07:29 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Indeed this appears to have been a serious misjudgment on their parts, one which may seriously limit their obstructive actions going forward.

I don't really think it's as bad as all that.
Quote:
This may be another example of the bad effects of the denial and outrage that still appears to grip Democrats following the last election.

Or it might just be an example of a longstanding tradition for the party out of power, using what limited power it can find to obstruct, delay, or promote particular pieces of legislation.
Quote:
We have seen approved Congressional budgets for our government only once in the last ten years, and the Democrats in the Senate are forcing a continuation of that very bad practice.

How many of those years was the House controlled by Republicans?
Quote:

In any event it will be interesting to see Schumer's next moves.

Just as interesting will be McConnell's next moves and whether he makes good on the public promise to allow immigration debate and a vote on DACA.
0 Replies

layman

Tue 23 Jan, 2018 07:46 am
Crazy Jim? It fits, I guess, but Trump is getting a little sloppy with his nicks, doncha think? I mean, like, why not something like "Jackass Jim," I wonder?

Quote:
Trump thanks 'Crazy Jim Acosta' after tweet that Schumer 'caved'

“Even Crazy Jim Acosta of Fake News CNN agrees: ‘Trump World and WH sources dancing in end zone: Trump wins again…Schumer and Dems caved…gambled and lost.’ Thank you for your honesty Jim!” the president tweeted.

In contests, when the outcome is inevitable, it's common to say "It's all over but the crying" when referring to the loser. With respect to the winner, they always say "It's all over but the gloating, the taunting, the strutting, and the desecration of the body."
blatham

Tue 23 Jan, 2018 08:34 am
@ehBeth,
There's definitely a change in the works. Thank bloody god.
0 Replies