monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Below viewing threshold (view)
layman

Tue 16 Jan, 2018 12:47 pm
Hey! I got me an idea, eh? I think everyone here would feel more better and get along more better if they would all just haul off and sing a lil blues tune for the channel, eh!? Here, I'll start:

It's them Haw-aww-wa-wa-kee-tonk wimminz.

Gimme, gimme, gimme, dem honky-tonk blues.

Who's next?
layman

Tue 16 Jan, 2018 12:57 pm
@layman,
Who's next, I done said!?

Ya see what happens?

Ya try to engender love, good will, peace, understanding, mutual respect, and all of that there amongst the peoples, and whaddaya git?

Not no kinda nuthin, that's what.

The moral?: Don't try.
blatham

Tue 16 Jan, 2018 01:35 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
...believe Trump said “shithouse” rather than “shithole.” (The New York Times has a source saying the same thing.)

This is apparently all the difference that they needed to issue their statement, which assured that “we do not recall the president saying these comments specifically.” That last word lingers hugely; it means they get to deny one specific word and feel good about having been technically honest. Never mind that the second syllable of that word doesn't change the meaning of Trump's comments one iota.
Have I mentioned the depth of my disgust with this level of lying and the moral/intellectual corruption that allows it.

Nobody uses "shithouse" when speaking of a geographical location such as a house/hotel, or a bad block in town, or the town itself, or a nation or part of a nation. The only use of "shithouse" I've ever come across was to describe an outdoor toilet.

And, as noted, in either case the meaning is unchanged. But these people don't care because things go better for them if the people they are speaking to have already been made stupid.
blatham

Tue 16 Jan, 2018 01:56 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I believe him.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 16 Jan, 2018 02:35 pm
@blatham,
I have heard shithouse used in other contexts, but so what? How is calling a country a shithouse preferable to calling it a shithole? I see no nuance whatsoever.
revelette1

Tue 16 Jan, 2018 02:49 pm
Quote:
The “shithouse defense,” explained: how Trump’s allies are trying to dig him out of his “shithole”

In the days following a report that President Trump disparaged immigration from “shithole countries” in an Oval Office meeting with lawmakers, the White House has settled on a bizarre response.

Publicly, they deny that Trump ever said “shithole countries.”

And then privately, they explain those hard-to-believe denials by claiming he said “shithouse countries” instead.

The strange spectacle made its way to Capitol Hill Tuesday morning, when Secretary of Homeland Security Kirstjen Nielsen repeated that denial in sworn testimony before a Senate committee.

“I did not hear that word used,” Nielsen said under oath, about “shithole.” When asked if Trump used a similar term or vulgar language to describe certain countries, she wouldn’t deny it. “The conversation was very impassioned,” she said. “The president used tough language in general, as did other congressmen in the room.”

Anonymous Republican sources have pushed the story that Trump in fact used the phrase “shithouse countries.” According to the Washington Post’s Josh Dawsey, Robert Costa, and Ashley Parker, Sens. Tom Cotton (R-AR) and David Perdue (R-GA) told the White House that’s what they remember Trump saying in the meeting.

Trump has apparently decided that the controversy is hurting him politically, so his allies are using this minor discrepancy to justify public denials that he said “shithole.” This, the Post reporters wrote, was Cotton and Perdue’s private rationale for their Friday statement claiming they “do not recall the President saying those [shithole] comments specifically.”

Now, some anonymous Republican spinners are going even further, telling reporters that the term “shithouse” gets Trump off the hook from accusations of racism. Michael Isikoff said he was told that Trump was “thinking about real estate,” and Scott Wong said he was told Trump simply meant countries without plumbing.

Vox
ehBeth

Tue 16 Jan, 2018 02:56 pm
@revelette1,
Shithouse/shithole.

It's all bigly stupid.
revelette1

Tue 16 Jan, 2018 02:59 pm
Meanwhile; largely ignored in favor of curse words/racism from our President:

Trump is paving the way for a lot more than just Medicaid work requirements (Vox)
revelette1

Tue 16 Jan, 2018 03:02 pm
@ehBeth,
Agreed.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Tue 16 Jan, 2018 03:27 pm
@layman,
So, you all want immigrants from Norway. That's Alt-right speak for "Aryans." Right, victim?
0 Replies

layman

Tue 16 Jan, 2018 03:27 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

Meanwhile; largely ignored in favor of curse words/racism from our President:

Trump is paving the way for a lot more than just Medicaid work requirements (Vox)

Every spot a rat in your crib? Them critters aint none to bright, ya know. Ya get a baseball bat and hold it behind your back in one hand. Then, in the other hand, ya hold out a piece of cheese for them.

They will see that cheese and want it so bad that they don't pay a bit of attention to what you're doin with your other hand. They keep comin closer until WAMMO. They's one dead-ass rat.

Trump knows how to play a cheese-eater, eh?
blatham

Tue 16 Jan, 2018 04:13 pm
Two or three days ago, I wrote here that I was eager to hear what Alex Jones was going to say about the real reason for the false alarm re missile(s) heading towards Hawaii. I didn't have to wait long.
Quote:
Alex Jones claims false report of missile headed towards Hawaii was orchestrated by Trump’s opponents to embarrass him
MM

Isn't that just special. I love the modern American right because honesty and sanity. And charitableness.
layman

Tue 16 Jan, 2018 04:24 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Two or three days ago, I wrote here that I was eager to hear what Alex Jones was going to say about the real reason for the false alarm re missile(s) heading towards Hawaii. I didn't have to wait long.
Quote:
Alex Jones claims false report of missile headed towards Hawaii was orchestrated by Trump’s opponents to embarrass him
MM

Isn't that just special. I love the modern American right because honesty and sanity. And charitableness.

Media Matters, eh? Figures, sho nuff. Other than their false headline, they don't offer a word of commentary or argument. They just print a transcript of what Jones actually said.

Sho nuff, Jones didn't say that. The closest thing to it was this:

Quote:
: I wasn’t going to shoot a video or live report today because we didn’t have enough information. Then I began to get calls from my CIA sources, my high-level Army intelligence sources, and analysis from my Delta Force sources and just many others that there is no way, no way that this was an accident and that somebody pushed the wrong button because there’s five fail-safes.

Then my phone rings from not one, but two, one former State Department source, another CIA, then my phone rings from someone who associated with Delta Force, then I get some more phone calls, and they are like, “Why aren’t you covering this? This is huge. This is gigantic, this is meant to embarrass Trump, this is meant to destabilize things,” and it’s meant to distract from the fact that there were Uranium One indictments that turns out came out yesterday that nobody noticed.

HE didn't make that claim, others did. The main claim (again by others) seems to be that it couldn't have been accidental.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Tue 16 Jan, 2018 04:29 pm
@layman,
You're not being real. You're just playing games.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Tue 16 Jan, 2018 04:47 pm
@layman,
This is one of the ugliest posts I've ever read anywhere on the Internet -- likening human beings to rats that are to be clubbed to death! You seem to be saddened that you're not popular here. (Well, neither am I.) You believe we all hate you because you support Trump. I don't hate you. I've even felt sorry for you a few times. You might think otherwise since I lost my temper with you in this topic at least two times. I especially regret the harsh sentiment I expressed the last time. But the problem is that you're hateful yourself. You act like a bully. When you send out hatred, what should you expect to receive in turn? You'd do yourself a big favor to look at William F. Buckley as a role model for conservatives and learn from his example. He even had liberal friends! But he was not an intellectual wimp. He was one of the most formidable opponents American liberalism ever faced. Look how successful he was. Hatred was not a weapon of his intellectual arsenal. There's nothing more I can say. Good luck.
InfraBlue

Tue 16 Jan, 2018 05:13 pm
@wmwcjr,
I remember seeing a rerun of a TV debate where Jr. threatened to punch Gore Vidal in the nose for calling him a crypto-Nazi, and in turn called Vidal a queer. In a later interview Vidal said that he meant to call Jr. a fascist, but could not for the life of him recall the word, so he called him a crypto-Nazi.

That stuff was worthy of Fox News and their WWF approach to political debate.

For the most part, Jr. was a well-behaved, decorous fascist.
blatham

Tue 16 Jan, 2018 05:43 pm
@wmwcjr,
Quote:
You seem to be saddened that you're not popular here. (Well, neither am I.)
Actually, Wm, I like you just fine.
0 Replies