monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Sun 14 Jan, 2018 07:58 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Thanks, guys.
0 Replies

revelette1

Sun 14 Jan, 2018 08:11 am
Kristof: Mr. Trump, Meet a Hero Whom You Maligned(NYT)

Quote:
In 1885, a poor, uneducated 16-year-old boy arrived in our country from Germany at a time when immigrants were often looked down on by affluent Americans.

This boy was ambitious and entrepreneurial, and, despite language problems, he earned some money and then traveled up to the Klondike during the gold rush to operate a hotel that became notorious for prostitution. He prospered, and today his grandson is President Trump.

After Germany became an enemy in World War I, the Trump family was embarrassed enough about its heritage that it claimed to be from Sweden instead. President Trump himself repeated this false claim to being Swedish in his 1987 book, “The Art of the Deal.”

Yet Trump hypocritically joined the modern Know-Nothings by reportedly railing against immigrants from “shithole countries” like Haiti and those in Africa. He favored admitting white people over black people — which is just the latest incident in a four-decade record of racial epithets and discrimination.

During the 2016 presidential campaign, I carefully reviewed Trump’s race-related history, including the 1,021 pages of legal documents from racial discrimination suits against him, and the evidence is devastating. We should be careful about tossing around the word “racist,” and any one incident can be misconstrued. But in Trump’s case, we have a consistent 40-year pattern of insults and discrimination, and I don’t see what else we can call him but a racist.

It’s true, of course, that some African countries are in wretched shape and that some immigrants from poor countries arrive uneducated and end up, along with homegrown Americans, in dubious trades. But careful, Mr. President, given your own grandfather’s history.

More important, the toxic disparagement of immigrants tarnishes heroes like Emmanuel Mensah, 28, a New Yorker who came from the West African country of Ghana and joined the U.S. Army National Guard.

Then a couple of weeks ago, when he was back from training, a fire broke out in Mensah’s Bronx building. Mensah easily saved himself, but then rushed back into the burning building to rescue others. Three times he rushed in and out, bringing out four people.

Then Mensah dashed toward the flames again and reached the fourth floor in a desperate effort to save a fifth person. This brave soul from what Trump would describe as a s-hole country, the kind of person Trump was insulting, never made it out. Mensah’s body was found high in the building’s wreckage.

A few days ago, the Army posthumously awarded Mensah the Soldier’s Medal, its highest award for heroism outside of combat, and New York State awarded him its Medal for Valor. The citation on the state medal reads: “His courageous and selfless act in the face of unimaginable conditions are consistent with the highest traditions of uniformed service.”

Who better embodies our nation’s values? A politician with a history of racist comments who took five deferments to escape military duty in the Vietnam War, including one for heel spurs? Or a heroic Ghanaian immigrant and soldier who dies in a fire while rescuing others?

So I apologize to the people of Haiti and Africa for our president’s comments. Most of us recognize that immigration is complex and that we cannot throw open our borders, but also that newcomers enrich us. That is true not only of Norwegians but also of penniless refugees from impoverished, war-torn countries, such as my father — a Polish-Armenian fleeing Eastern Europe, whose first purchase in the U.S. was a Sunday New York Times to teach himself English.

rump once showed a willingness to be big-hearted to immigrants who break the rules: He married Melania, a Slovenian who came to the U.S. on a visitor visa and then earned money as a model before she was authorized to work, according to an investigation by The A.P.

If only Trump could show a similar compassion to unauthorized immigrants who don’t look like Melania. In particular, his decision to send Salvadorans back, in the face of murderous gang violence in that country, and his rejection of a bipartisan deal to protect DACA “dreamers,” simply seem cruel.

So what can we do?

Obviously, we need to stand up to racist xenophobia even when it emanates from the White House — particularly when it emanates from the White House — and in addition, if Americans are looking for a constructive way to respond, here’s a suggestion: How about donating to an immigrant rights organization like the National Immigration Law Center, or to an aid group that works with people whom our president just insulted?

I’ve seen firsthand and admired the work of two American aid organizations that save lives in Haiti from tuberculosis, cervical cancer and more. They are Partners in Health and Innovating Health International. Both are working heroically on the front lines to save the lives of ordinary Haitians, particularly women.

It seems to me that a fine, practical response to racism is to help save a life.

0 Replies

revelette1

Sun 14 Jan, 2018 08:13 am
@izzythepush,
I'm hoping it will be soon. I really like her, she is even tempered and knowledgeable.
nimh

Sun 14 Jan, 2018 08:15 am
@BillW,
BillW wrote:

Count me ask 1st member. I absolutely love her, she be great!

I don't - Joy Reid has struck me as an ignorant blowhard, for example when she tweeted this:

Quote:
Donald Trump married one American (his second wife) and two women from what used to be Soviet Yugoslavia: Ivana-Slovakia, Melania-Slovenia.

One can probably disagree about whether it's kosher to pull in Donald's wife and ex-wive into speculations about his alleged pro-Russian ties and allegiances in the first place, but -- I mean -- it's just kind of impressive to get this much wrong in this short a sentence. Ivana is not from Slovakia. Slovakia was not part of Yugoslavia. Yugoslavia wasn't "Soviet".

It's what someone deftly labelled "that uniquely American combination of total ignorance and unbridled confidence", though in truth it's not a uniquely American skill at all -- but definitely one that suggests a blowhard.

That wasn't all, though. Lambasted on Twitter, not least by aggrieved citizens of the countries involved, she "corrected" herself only to get even more wrong:

Quote:
Right- correction. Ivana is from Czechoslovakia (now the Czech Republic.) [...] Melania is from Slovenia (which plus Slovakia used to be Yugoslavia).

I mean.. Where to start. Slovakia was never in Yugoslavia, for one. Which a whole lot of people had just told her. Yet she doubled down. Imagine Trump sending off these tweets, and how liberals would ridicule him for it.

In principle it's good to acknowledge and correct your errors, of course. But to be pointed out multiple errors and *not* bother to do a two-minute Google check of what you're talking about before posting a smug "correction" that's also completely wrong; that's the mark of a blowhard.

Consider, also, that the whole point of why she was pulling Donald's ex-wives into the story was to suggest that Trump's Russian peccadilloes go way back, and that his marriages somehow prove this. But of course, Yugoslavia wasn't just not "Soviet", it was an enemy of the Soviet Union and its Warsaw Pact, spearheading the global Non-Aligned Movement instead. Their relations were colourfully summarized in the note Tito wrote Stalin to:

Quote:
Stop sending people to kill me! We've already captured five of them, one of them with a bomb and another with a rifle... If you don't stop sending killers, I'll send a very fast working one to Moscow and I certainly won't have to send another.

Now I don't expect the average American to know about all of this stuff. That's perfectly fine! A prominent political TV pundit, however, should have some basic grasp of history and geography -- if not the exact constellation of republics that made up Yugoslavia or Czechoslovakia, at least a dim awareness that the Cold War divided the world into pro-US, pro-Soviet and non-aligned countries, and that Yugoslavia led the latter. And even if you disagree with me that a famous political pundit should know that much, you'd at least expect someone with as huge an audience as hers (1 million Twitter followers) to, I don't know, quickly check Wikipedia or something before spouting off some theory about the supposedly suspicious origins of Trump's wives. Like that guy said, ignorance can be excused, but marrying it with unbridled confidence = blowhardism.
Below viewing threshold (view)
nimh

Sun 14 Jan, 2018 08:31 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

It just occurred to me that I'm kinda like the Donald Trump of this thread, eh?

Not because I'm President, or the Boss, or nuthin like that. But for reasons like this:

<snipped>

Well, those, yeah ... plus the continuous flow of lies, deceits, personal insults, and casual racism. An apt enough comparison.
layman

Sun 14 Jan, 2018 08:36 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
MSNBC host Joy Reid apologizes for 'homophobic' blog posts

'From 2007 to 2009 @joyannreid authored a dozen homophobic posts not only attempting to out Charlie Crist as gay, she attacked & mocked him for being so. She repeatedly referred to him as 'Miss Charlie' and tagged posts about him under 'gay politicians.''

'My goal, in my ham-handed way, was to call out potential hypocrisy.'

Reid continued by saying that she regretted the way she addressed the issue and felt the "mocking tone and sarcasm' used were 'insensitive, tone deaf and dumb."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5142609/Joy-Reid-apologizes-homophobic-blog-post-Crist.html
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 14 Jan, 2018 08:50 am
Word of the Day Award goes to Brian Beutler
Quote:
Shitholeghazi
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sun 14 Jan, 2018 09:18 am
@revelette1,
Yeah I know, she's lovely.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sun 14 Jan, 2018 09:23 am
Remember: President Trump’s grandfather Friedrich unsuccessfully petitioned the government of Bavaria not to deport him and his family:
Quote:
Why should we be deported? This is very, very hard for a family. What will our fellow citizens think if honest subjects are faced with such a decree — not to mention the great material losses it would incur. I would like to become a Bavarian citizen again.

In this urgent situation I have no other recourse than to turn to our adored, noble, wise, and just sovereign lord, our exalted ruler His Royal Highness, highest of all, who has already dried so many tears, who has ruled so beneficially and justly and wisely and softly and is warmly and deeply loved, with the most humble request that the highest of all will himself in mercy deign to allow the applicant to stay in the most gracious Kingdom of Bavaria.

Your most humble and obedient,

Friedrich Trump

"The American citizen and pensioner Friedrich Trump, currently residing in Kallstadt, is hereby informed that he is to depart the state of Bavaria, or face deportation."
blatham

Sun 14 Jan, 2018 09:33 am
A Trump tweet
Quote:
Donald J. Trump‏Verified account
@realDonaldTrump
The Wall Street Journal stated falsely that I said to them “I have a good relationship with Kim Jong Un” (of N. Korea). Obviously I didn’t say that. I said “I’d have a good relationship with Kim Jong Un,” a big difference. Fortunately we now record conversations with reporters...
4:58 AM - 14 Jan 2018

...gains this response
Quote:
Greg Sargent‏Verified account
@ThePlumLineGS
Greg Sargent Retweeted Donald J. Trump
A recording has already confirmed Trump said "I have a good relationship..."

The context that follows also confirms it.

The audacity and shamelessness of this kind of lying is the *whole point* of it. This is an assertion of *power* to rewrite reality:
http://wapo.st/2FzJUqO

This is a thesis Greg has advanced before and I think he's right on the money. But we should note that this tactic isn't original to Trump, who is just a particular obvious and unsophisticated version of the thing. Many of you will remember this Ron Suskind reporting:
Quote:
The phrase [reality-based community] was attributed by journalist Ron Suskind to an unnamed official in the George W. Bush Administration who used it to denigrate a critic of the administration's policies as someone who based their judgements on facts.[2] In a 2004 article appearing in the New York Times Magazine, Suskind wrote:

Quote:
The aide said that guys like me were 'in what we call the reality-based community,' which he defined as people who 'believe that solutions emerge from your judicious study of discernible reality.' [...] 'That's not the way the world really works anymore,' he continued. 'We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality—judiciously, as you will—we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors...and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do'.[3]

The source of the quotation was later identified as Bush's senior advisor Karl Rove,[4] although Rove has denied saying it.[5]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reality-based_community
blatham

Sun 14 Jan, 2018 09:35 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I did not know that history, walter. Thank you!
Walter Hinteler

Sun 14 Jan, 2018 09:43 am
@blatham,
The full letter of Trump's grandfather (in German) is >here<

In English, there's a (shortened) translation >here @ Harper's<
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sun 14 Jan, 2018 09:45 am
@layman,
layman wrote:
Getting out of that shithole was the best thing that ever happened to Fred and his descendants, eh?
I would like to become a Bavarian citizen again. means, he wants to get out?