Sat 13 Jan, 2018 07:23 am
@izzythepush,
But that's only said by scummers.
blatham

Sat 13 Jan, 2018 07:31 am
This dude is such a shallow and cowardly little twit
Quote:
Pence silent in wake of 'shithole' remark
The vice president's office has ignored several requests for comment about Trump's vulgarity.
Politico
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 13 Jan, 2018 07:58 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Hollywood is truly disgusting
Here we do not come even close to agreeing.

The negative notions of Hollywood were promulgated by what would later become the "religious right". The objections were initially driven by repressed sexuality and the perceived need to control others' sexuality. And that's still a key element to anti-Hollywood sentiments.

As well, this is driven, surely, by a kind of jealousy regarding physical beauty and high (ridiculously high) incomes and "living the good life" in California.

And there's another aspect here too. The old notion that artists are deviant, low-lives, sexually promiscuous, lazy and socially de-stabilizing. Plato, in The Republic, held that artists were not good for a city/nation because they could be counted on to de-stabilize. He was right. Artists, like humorists, commonly challenge and upset existing ideas and norms.

Of course, the place does chew up and spit out lots of people. But Hollywood is definitely not unique in this regard. Imagine the boardroom at Exxon or a Wall Street firm. Look at Walmart. Look at the military.

I do not mean to minimize the abuse of women. That's a feature of the place. But that is reflected wherever males gain wealth and celebrity or power. Rock musicians (or jazz musicians) aren't know for their upstanding treatment of young, beautiful women. The military is another case. Or we can just look at and count up all the politicians who have behaved disgustingly towards women.

Lastly, I am not about to indict individuals who are part of the very well-off Hollywood community for being well-off. Few were born to that privilege. Most have worked their asses off to become good at their art form, whether as actors or directors or lighting engineers or grips or costume people or set designers or location scouts, etc etc. I have worked on movie and TV show sets and I can assure you that it is often no bloody fun at all - oppressively hot, or really cold, wet, tough physical work, or for actors, often deeply upsetting work.
izzythepush

Sat 13 Jan, 2018 08:09 am
@Walter Hinteler,
And Spike Milligan.

All you got in Portsmouth was the clap. Spike Milligan.

Portsmouth is dirty, but it is also dull. Henry James.

Though Mansfield Park might have some pains, Portsmouth could have no pleasures. Jane Austen.
izzythepush

Sat 13 Jan, 2018 08:11 am
Opinion piece on why Oprah should not run.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jan/12/oprah-winfrey-v-donald-trump-2020-dreams-nightmares
blatham

Sat 13 Jan, 2018 08:12 am
Christopher Buckley, William F's son who was booted out of National Review for his lack of ardent extremism, is one hell of a good writer. And he's perhaps as smart as his dad was. He has an opinon piece at the Times this morning that's just a delight.
Quote:
Mr. President, Your Toga Is Showing

President Trump’s assertion of his “genius,” athwart recent reporting that his inner circle describes him in somewhat different terms — “moron,” “idiot,” “like a child” — along with concerns about his mental health, awakened a dormant memory of a scene in the 1970s TV adaptation of Robert Graves’s classic novel of ancient Rome, “I, Claudius.”

The Emperor Caligula, played to deranged and very scary perfection by John Hurt, tells his uncle Claudius: “I’m simply undergoing a change. It’s the most momentous transformation that any human being has ever achieved.”

Uncle Claudius’s frozen face is right out of Dorothy Parker’s “What fresh hell can this be?” He knows that this “change” portends no joy in Caesarville. But his life at the palace has made him nothing if not an artful survivor. Feigning delighted shock and awe, he tells his nephew: “I was blind not to see it instantly. You’re no longer human! May I be the first to worship you, as a g-g-g-god?”

Caligula replies with a weary air of menacing ennui, “It took you a long time to perceive that I’m no longer human.”

So begins the era of Caligula the God, and what fun it will be.

Mr. Trump’s declaration of his genius was of a piece with the sycophants rodeo in the White House cabinet room last June, when his consuls and lictors took turns lavishing praise on him in terms to make even Caesar blush...
More Here
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 13 Jan, 2018 08:22 am
@izzythepush,
That's an excellent piece. Thanks Izzy.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 13 Jan, 2018 08:27 am
@hightor
Bet you didn't think craft beer might have this origin
Quote:
Here’s an interplanetary botany discovery that took college students and not NASA scientists to find: Hops — the flowers used to add a pleasant bitterness to beer — grow well in Martian soil.
NYT
hightor

Sat 13 Jan, 2018 08:39 am
@blatham,
Quote:
The negative notions of Hollywood were promulgated by what would later become the "religious right".

As well, this is driven, surely, by a kind of jealousy regarding physical beauty and high (ridiculously high) incomes and "living the good life" in California.

And there's another aspect here too. The old notion that artists are deviant, low-lives, sexually promiscuous, lazy and socially de-stabilizing.

You know, I wasn't thinking of any of that stuff; that's all secondary. My condemnation of the culture industry is derived from the writings of Horkheimer and Adorno. My criticism is not directed at the people in the industry and what they do to each other, but at the very mechanism of entertainment and what it does to us. It might be said to precede any concern with the actual content of sex, violence, and excess.

Quote:
The assembly-line character of the culture industry, the synthetic, planned method of turning out its products (factory-like not only in the studio but, more or less, in the compilation of cheap biographies, pseudo-documentary novels, and hit songs) is very suited to advertising: the important individual points, by becoming detachable, interchangeable, and even technically alienated from any connected meaning, lend themselves to ends external to the work. The effect, the trick, the isolated repeatable device, have always been used to exhibit goods for advertising purposes, and today every monster close-up of a star is an advertisement for her name, and every hit song a plug for its tune. Advertising and the culture industry merge technically as well as economically. In both cases the same thing can be seen in innumerable places, and the mechanical repetition of the same culture product has come to be the same as that of the propaganda slogan. In both cases the insistent demand for effectiveness makes technology into psycho-technology, into a procedure for manipulating men. In both cases the standards are the striking yet familiar, the easy yet catchy, the skilful yet simple; the object is to overpower the customer, who is conceived as absent-minded or resistant.

Enlightenment as Mass Deception 1944
blatham

Sat 13 Jan, 2018 08:53 am
Some fun reading at the New Yorker presently. Just take your pick.
Quote:
A Racist in the Oval Office

There’s No Avoiding the R-Word Now
By John Cassidy

Trump’s Primal Fixation on Haiti
By Doreen St. Félix

The “Shithole Countries” Respond
By Robin Wright
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sat 13 Jan, 2018 08:53 am
@hightor,
Dialectic of Enlightenment was the first and only book, we were allowed to read in an unauthorised edition at school (it wasn't reprinted in German until the late 60's).
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 13 Jan, 2018 08:58 am
@hightor,
I've read neither of them.

Let me think for a while about the ideas in that quote. As compelling as that take is, I'm not at all sure that the problems are avoidable.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sat 13 Jan, 2018 09:18 am
@blatham,
Closer than you think.

Quote:
Ninkasi Brewing Company, based in Eugene, OR, founded the Ninkasi Space Program (NSP) in 2014 in an effort to push the (outer) limits of brewing. The goal? To send yeast to space, recover it, and use it to brew some delicious beer.

This April 13th, Ninkasi will release the fruits of NSP’s labor. Ground Control is an Imperial Stout, brewed with Oregon hazelnuts, star anise, and cocoa nibs, plus Apollo, Bravo, and Comet hops. And, yes, space yeast.

https://www.wired.com/2015/03/ground-control-space-beer/<br /> <br />
NSFW (view)
revelette1

Sat 13 Jan, 2018 09:57 am
Quote:
How it happened: Donald Trump's "s**thole countries" remark

llinois Sen. Dick Durbin says he had high hopes of securing President Trump's approval of a bipartisan plan for "Dreamers" when he and South Carolina Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham went to the White House to make their presentation at about noon Thursday.

Durbin told reporters in Chicago on Friday that he had reached out to the White House two hours earlier, had spoken with the president and asked him to consider the compromise plan he and five senators -- three Democrats and three Republicans -- had come up with to "save the Dreamers and help their families."

According to Durbin, he and Graham believed they would be the only lawmakers in the room with the president, and they were surprised to find that in the two hours since Durbin's first phone call with the White House, Mr. Trump had invited five other members of Congress as well. All were immigration hardliners: House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, Florida Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart, House Judiciary Chairman Bob Goodlatte, North Carolina Sen. David Perdue, and Arkansas Sen. Tom Cotton. In addition to the lawmakers, White House chief of staff John Kelly and White House legislative director Marc Short were also present. 

"There were two of us against 10 people in the room," Durbin said of him and Graham. "I think we held our own as best we could."

The president then joined the group in the Oval Office, and Durbin and Graham made their pitch on a plan they had worked on for four months -- a solution for 700,000 Dreamers who would otherwise lose protection from deportation on March 5. While Graham was making the pitch, the president interrupted several times with questions, Durbin said. 

Part of the proposal, according to Durbin, dealt with the diversity visa lottery, a program the president wants to eliminate. He and Graham explained that their proposal would alter the diversity visa lottery to give legal protections to some immigrants here with Temporary Protected Status (TPS). The Trump administration recently announced it would end that status for countries like Haiti and El Salvador, whose citizens came to the U.S. years ago to escape the aftermath of national disasters.

As Durbin was describing for the president which immigrants with the protected status would receive relief under the diversity visa program, he mentioned a few examples, including Haiti. The president asked why the U.S. would want all those people from Haiti. 

Durbin explained they were in the U.S. because they had been "the victims of crises and disasters and political upheaval." The largest group, he told the president, is from El Salvador, the second largest is Honduran, and the third is Haitian.

"And when I mentioned that fact to him, he said, 'Haitians? Do we need more Haitians?'" Durbin said. Graham, Durbin said, stood up and "made a direct comment on what the president said," telling the president his own family story. 

"I thought Lindsey really hit the nail on the head," Durbin said.
For his part, Durbin told the president, "I raised the point If you exclude Haitians from this group of temporary protected people, the conclusion is obvious. These are black people. These are folks who bring a different aspect to temporary protected status than Central American countries. He knew it and we all knew it."

Then, Durbin said that the president began to describe immigration from Africa that would be protected under the bipartisan proposal. A little later, when the group was discussing the visa lottery program, and African immigrants were mentioned, the president asked, why Africa? 

"Why are we having all these people from sh*thole countries come here?" the president said. "We should bring in more people from places like Norway," he added. Norway's prime minister had just visited the White House Wednesday. 

Although Mr. Trump denies using such language, "sh*tholes" was "the exact word used by the president," Durbin recalled. "Not just once but repeatedly. That was the nature of this conversation." 

"Those words cannot affect me": Haitians react to Trump's vulgar comment
Durbin also said during the meeting, he confronted the president about his use of the phrase "chain migration," which is a derogatory phrase describing the process by which legal immigrants bring extended family members into the U.S. 

"I said to the president, 'Do you realize how painful that term is to so many people? African-Americans believe they migrated to America in chains and when you talk about 'chain migration,' it hurts them personally. He said, 'Oh, that's a good line.'"

Durbin is the only person in the meeting who has spoken at length about what transpired in the Oval Office. He did so after Mr. Trump tweeted a denial, saying that he used "tough" language but "not that language." 
Cotton and Perdue released a joint statement saying "we do not recall the president saying these comments specifically." 

McCarthy's office did not comment. Goodlatte had no comment. Diaz-Balart issued a statement that did not acknowledge or refute the president's "sh*thole" remarks. He said, "I will not be diverted from all possible efforts to continue negotiating to stop the deportations."
According to the Charleston Post and Courier, South Carolina's other GOP senator, Tim Scott, said Graham had told him the reports were "basically accurate." 

Graham declined to speak to CBS, but on Friday afternoon also released a statement that said, "Following comments by the President, I said my piece directly to him yesterday. The president and all those attending the meeting know what I said and how I feel. I've always believed that America is an idea, not definied by its people but by its ideals." 

He also said he appreciated Durbin's statements, and he remains committed to a bipartisan solution to keep Dreamers in the country. 

CBS
Below viewing threshold (view)
izzythepush

Sat 13 Jan, 2018 10:52 am
@glitterbag,
Can you imagine what it must be like for the poor women who have to work with those creeps? A perfect illustration of the need for Me too.
blatham

Sat 13 Jan, 2018 10:58 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
"space yeast"
Jeepers. I wonder if astronauts ever promote themselves as bearers of space sperm?
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 13 Jan, 2018 11:01 am
@glitterbag,
Grade four boy sophistication. Or, troll sophistication.

I really don't get why anyone attends to Layman. Why listen to or talk to a jerk?
BillW

Sat 13 Jan, 2018 12:14 pm
@glitterbag,
Bullies, the lot of them. Then again, they would take this as a compliment. You go girl, I'm with you!