monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

hightor

Mon 8 Jan, 2018 06:35 am
@blatham,
I know what you mean. The guy was sort of "refreshing" as an outlier.
hightor

Mon 8 Jan, 2018 06:54 am
Fire at Trump Tower?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-tower-fire-new-york-city/
Olivier5

Mon 8 Jan, 2018 07:12 am
@blatham,
Quote:
It's going to take a long while, if ever, for the US to recover the prestige it has lost with this sociopath at the helm.

Forget "prestige", that's probably gone forever. What the US may possibly recover post-Trump is a modicum of respect and trust from other nations.
revelette1

Mon 8 Jan, 2018 08:09 am
@blatham,
It is because Bannon was more or less a big producer and director to the Trump show, without Trump, the whole 'Trumpism' just fades away. Likewise without Bannon, Trump wouldn't have been president. I don't agree with the Federalist, obviously, but I think they got the whole Bannon thing right.

What Donald Trump Set On Fire When He Burned Steve Bannon

The establishment Republicans have taken the place of the populist Bannon for Trump; which was Jared and Ivanka's side of the WH.

JMO
nimh

Mon 8 Jan, 2018 08:23 am
@layman,
Quote:
Hey, quit Bogartin that limberger, willya? Pass that slab my way for a spell!

Just how many decades past did your world view get frozen in time?
0 Replies

revelette1

Mon 8 Jan, 2018 08:40 am
As Trump Appeals to Farmers, Some of His Policies Don’t (NYT)

Quote:
WASHINGTON — President Trump will head to Tennessee on Monday to appeal to farmers, a key demographic that helped elect him, as he promotes his tax law and previews a new White House strategy to help rural America.

But back in Washington, some of the economic policies his administration is pursuing are at odds with what many in the farm industry say is needed, from a potentially drastic shift in trade policies that have long supported agriculture to some little-noticed tax increases in the $1.5 trillion tax law.

Yet, he is going to relax rules in sales of military arms overseas.

Trump to call on Pentagon, diplomats to play bigger role on arms sales (Reuters)

Quote:
The Trump administration is nearing completion of a new "Buy American" plan that calls for U.S. military attaches and diplomats to help drum up billions of dollars more in business overseas for the American weapons industry, going beyond the assistance they currently provide, U.S. officials said.

President Donald Trump as early as February is expected to announce a "whole of government" effort to ease export rules on purchases by foreign countries of U.S.-made military equipment, from fighter jets and drones to warships and artillery, according to people familiar with the plan.

Trump is seeking to fulfill a 2016 election campaign promise to create jobs in the United States by selling more goods and services abroad to bring down the U.S. trade deficit from a six-year high of $50 billion.

Yeah, that's right, hamper the sale of food which hurts the farmers but sale weapons and fighter jets to make a buck for the arms industries.
revelette1

Mon 8 Jan, 2018 09:00 am
@revelette1,
I meant "sell weapons" instead of "sale weapons"
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
blatham

Mon 8 Jan, 2018 10:56 am
@hightor,
Quote:
The guy was sort of "refreshing" as an outlier.
That's a very good way to put it.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 8 Jan, 2018 11:01 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Fire at Trump Tower
Apparently Michael Flynn was there this morning out the sidewalk outside and leading a crowd of New Yorkers in a chant of "burn it down, burn it down, burn it down".
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 8 Jan, 2018 11:02 am
@Olivier5,
I get your point.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 8 Jan, 2018 11:37 am
@revelette1,
Yes, I think that's a very smart piece.

I'll make two quick observations on this. First, Bannon/Breitbart served electoral purposes in the same manner as Trump's pre-election rhetoric re "the establishment". But B/B are minnows compared to the real power players and the really big money in or around the GOP. And those interests are getting pretty much all they want via the Trump presidency so they are going to keep Trump afloat as long as that continues (and ONLY that long).

Second, the GOP and "conservatism" is constantly rebranding itself for marketing purposes. When the Bush administration (with its proclaimed version of conservatism) crumbled down to approval ratings in the 20s, a new branding was needed and the Tea Party campaign got underway (it had been on the Koch brothers shelf (see here). For some years now, that TP movement's popularity even on the right has been sinking into the toilet. It wouldn't have been anywhere near robust enough, by itself, to deliver a victory to Trump. Breitbart/Bannon had their use but as their profile raised and their share of media power or potential for power increased, they became a threat to existing power structures on the right. And of course, along with this was the fact that Trump's approval was bad and worsening with evident electoral consequences. I don't know exactly how the new branding will be designed but we know at least that it will try to be a brand spanking new thing... "Refreshing New Conservatism! Now without lead, plastics and Bannonism!" Maybe they'll use graphic illustrations, visual representations and costumes that invoke Norman Rockwell - "Real America. Your America. God's America". It will be some **** like that.

Edit: On my second point, we can also be thinking now about how convenient it will be for these same players now functionally in control of the GOP to do a much bigger rebranding when they cast Trump aside, which they will because of how he is destroying the brand and damaging electoral possibilities up the road. To claim, explicitly or implicitly that Bush or Romney or McCain were not "real conservatives" is far more difficult than claiming that Trump isn't a "real conservative". They can, and will, put a LOT of imagined space between "conservatism" and "Trumpism".