monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

georgeob1

Fri 22 Dec, 2017 09:21 am
@hightor,
The EPA has been reducing staff for several years now in a process that started in 2014, long before Trump took office. Unfortunately, as in most government bureaucracies, the process is chiefly through voluntary attrition, with many of the best and most productive going first. It really was a very bloated bureaucracy that had resisted reform and available improved processes for a long time. It had become very aggressive in extending the reach of its presumed regulatory authority for water and air standards, but very lax in tending to the many seriously contaminated sites under its jurisdiction. These included huge contaminated groundwater plumes with pore volumes measured in cubic miles for which. after 25 years of pumping and treatment, they still don't even have hydraulic control (any hydro geologists here will understand the significance of that); or the hundreds of abandoned mine sites in the mountain West with tailings dams posing an immediate threat to rivers and streams ( some may recall a year or so ago when an ill conceived EPA activity at one ( the former Gold King Mine) flooded a river in Colorado.). There are two sides to every story and in many cases, including that one, local communities had been resistant to needed actions to address these issues. The current Administration is installing new contracting processes that may well improve the efficiency of their superfund cleanups. (They certainly need it.)

One welcome change is that they are beginning to discontinue the previously growing practice of banning emerging contaminants in concentrations so low they cannot be accurately measured by any practical means.

It's often interesting for the odd reader who has ample background and experience in the subject being reported note the things the NYT omits from its stories - often in ways that significantly change their meaning.
Olivier5

Fri 22 Dec, 2017 09:35 am
@Walter Hinteler,
A fake president appointing fake ambassadors saying fake stuff...

Jesus Faking Christ.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 22 Dec, 2017 09:41 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Trump’s new choice for ambassador, Pete Hoekstra, who was only sworn in by the vice president, Mike Pence, on 11 December, was being interviewed for current affairs programme Nieuwsuur by reporter Wouter Zwart.

Zwart says: “You mentioned in a debate that there are no-go zones in the Netherlands, and that cars and politicians are being set on fire in the Netherlands.”

Hoekstra replies: “I didn’t say that. This is actually an incorrect statement. We would call it fake news.”

Hoekstra is then shown clips of him saying: “The Islamic movement has now gotten to a point where they have put Europe into chaos. Chaos in the Netherlands, there are cars being burnt, there are politicians that are being burnt ... and yes there are no-go zones in the Netherlands.”

Challenged about having called this “fake news”, Hoekstra then went on to deny to Zwart that he had in fact used the phrase “fake news”.

“I didn’t call that fake news. I didn’t use the words today. I don’t think I did.”

Not a big surprise coming from this guy. But how is it that so many people in this party have found a rationale that gives them licence to eviscerate their own integrity? This truly confuses me.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 22 Dec, 2017 09:53 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
It's often interesting for the odd reader who has ample background and experience in the subject being reported note the things the NYT omits from its stories - often in ways that significantly change their meaning.
As I've mentioned to you before (many times), your credibility, george, is not aided by your refusal to offer up citations/evidence that support your assertions. Given that you are a political ideologue to the degree we all easily recognize, your refusal to follow such a simple protocol is self-defeating. Unless, that is, if you just really want to hear yourself talk.
0 Replies

hightor

Fri 22 Dec, 2017 10:02 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:

It's often interesting, when you have worked in an industry which exposes its workforce to toxins and unsafe working conditions, to see how laws meant to protect people are ignored in favor of protecting industry's bottom line. Raising a glass of methylene chloride in an Xmas toast to this administration.
0 Replies

engineer

Fri 22 Dec, 2017 10:36 am
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

That is some BS reasoning. Those already at the bottom pay no federal income tax when the tax man comes calling at the end of the year. How many of them in fact get more back than they pay in?

As a percentage of income, the working poor pay the highest rates in our society. You are correct that they don't pay federal income tax, but they do pay social security tax, medicare tax, gasoline taxes, property taxes, utility taxes, etc. There was a famous quote a few years ago from Warren Buffet that he pays a higher tax rate than his secretary and that is true.

When Romney released his tax returns while running for President, I opened them up and compared them to mine. Romney paid $1.5 million in taxes, far more than me, but the rate he paid was around half of mine. For example, Romney pays no social security tax. (The typical US worker pays 7.65% SS + medicare and their employers pay the same on their behalf, so over 15%.) While Romney consumes more than I do, things like sales tax, property tax and utility taxes do not scale with income (the definition of regressive taxes.) As a result his overall, all in tax rate was around 14% of his $15 million income. Sure, that is a lot, but someone making $40K a year who pays 25% should not be sympathetic about Romeny's federal tax bill. That $10k they contribute in state and local taxes and fees hits a lot harder than Romney's contribution. I doubt that if Romney paid another $1 million in taxes his standard of living would be impacted in any way.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 22 Dec, 2017 10:57 am
Pardon me. I don't normally do pastes of this length but I think the subject here is very important.
Quote:
Donald Trump has scored a legislative victory with staggering costs. The price of the tax bill has to be measured not only in the loss American society will face in the increase in inequality, in the impact on public health, and the growth of the deficit, but also in the damage to political culture inflicted by the spectacle of one powerful man after another telling lies of various sorts.

All along there has been Trump claiming that the bill was a “gift” to the middle class. That this assertion appears to have no basis in fact has not affected the President’s statements. The President’s Treasury Secretary, Steven Mnuchin, maintained that his department had run the numbers and had shown that the tax bill would pay for itself. It appears that he lied, not so much about the result of the Treasury’s study but about the existence of the study itself: the Times reported last month that the analysis had not been done.

This was a Trumpian lie, which is distinct from other kinds of political lying. It might be called a power lie: its purpose is not to convince the audience of something that isn’t true but to demonstrate the power of the speaker. Trump tweets blatant lies, repeatedly, to show that he can—and that by virtue of his bully pulpit, his words, however absurd, always have consequences. Mnuchin showed that he can do the same thing, and that he has more power than the opposition.

The bill’s passage occasioned an orgy of false public ritual. It began when the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development, Ben Carson, led the Cabinet in prayer, which included offering thanks “for a President and for Cabinet members who are courageous” and “for the unity in Congress that has presented an opportunity for our economy to expand.” (Not a single Democrat, in either chamber of Congress, voted in favor of the bill.) Following the prayer, Trump called on his Vice-President the way a teacher might cold-call on a pupil. For a full two minutes, Pence dutifully offered thanks for the President’s “middle-class miracle”; he said that he was “deeply humbled, as your Vice-President, to be able to be here.” Trump looked stern as he listened, nodding slightly, his arms crossed below his chest.

Later in the day, the Republican leaders of both houses of Congress, the Vice-President, and other Republican politicians gathered at the White House to offer praise to their leader. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, House Speaker Paul Ryan, and others hailed Trump for setting records in judicial appointments and, now, for passing the tax bill. Representative Diane Black, of Tennessee, thanked Trump “for allowing us to have you as our President.” Orrin Hatch, of Utah, who has been in the Senate for forty years, predicted that the Trump Presidency will be “the greatest Presidency we have seen not only in generations but maybe ever.” Pence performed, too, again, addressing Trump: “You will make America great again.”

Political speeches are rarely occasions for truth-telling. But the good ones combine a description of shared reality with the expression of a vision, or with words of celebration. The mediocre ones consist of platitudes—well-intentioned but lacking the force of inspiration or recognition. And then there is the genre of the thoroughly insincere pronouncement that is all empty ritual. This is not normally observed in countries with functioning democratic institutions, because hollow words are the very opposite of accountability. These kinds of speeches are usually given in dictatorships: their intended audience is not the public but the tyrant. This is what we observed in Washington on Wednesday, and it’s the scariest part of Trump’s big tax triumph.
NYer
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 22 Dec, 2017 11:18 am
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/454820/republican-tax-reform-net-neutrality-democrats-congress-overreaction?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Will
Quote:

“The intellectual cannot operate at room temperature.” — Eric Hoffer, First Things, Last Things (1971)

Quote:
Eric Hoffer (1902–1983) meant that intellectuals in his day tended not to be temperate. In our day, this defect — moral overheating — has been democratized: Anyone can have it. Now, everybody can be happily furious, delirious with hysteria, and intoxicated with intimations of apocalypse, all day every day.

Quote:
During two decades, the Internet was barely regulated as it delighted its users. In 2015, a regulatory policy (“net neutrality”), one without a constituency sufficient to move Congress, was imposed by bureaucratic fiat. Thirty-three months later, net neutrality was ended. And the rending of garments and gnashing of teeth commenced: “This is the end of the Internet as we know it” (Senator Bernie Sanders); “A brazen betrayal . . . disastrous . . . I am disgusted” (Senator Richard Blumenthal); “Outrageous” (Senator Cory Booker); “Horrible” (Senator Tim Kaine); “Shameful” (Senator Sherrod Brown).

Quote:
On a scale of importance from one (negligible) to ten (stupendous), the legislation ("tax reform") might be a three. Never mind. Cue the Cassandras. This tax cut of less than 1 percent of the next decade’s projected GDP is “the worst bill in the history of the United States Congress.” (House minority leader Nancy Pelosi.) It “will result in 10,000 extra deaths per year” and “our country will be living on a shoestring for decades.” (Former Treasury secretary Larry Summers.)

Quote:
Because modern technologies allow the instant, costless dissemination of fulminations, and because the more vituperative the fulminations the more apt they are to be noticed in the digital clutter, public conversations often quickly degenerate into something less.

This is a very astute and, I believe, accurate observation.

David Brin wrote a prophetic novel called "Earth" in 1990 which was deservedly nominated for the Hugo and Locus Awards in 1991 and which predicted more than a dozen cultural, commercial and scientific developments. Most remarkable for me were his predictions concerning the internet and it's nearly instantaneous and frenzied reflection of the response of people around to world to events and circumstances. It's more than a decade since I read it but the impression has lasted and I am constantly reminded of it by current events. Very much worth the read.

(BTW - The Hugo judges were asleep at the switch that year; awarding the coveted prize to Lois McMaster Bujold for "The Vor Game," one of a six-novel series called the Vorkosigan Saga. It was an entertaining read but that it beat out the clearly superior "Earth," "Fall of Hyperion," by Dan Simmons, and "Queen of Angels," by Greg Bear is stunning. It also beat out "The Quiet Pool;" by Michael P. Kube-McDowell, but I never read that so can't comment on its worthiness. Over her career, McMaster Bujold has been a darling of Worldcon, which runs the awards. I don't get it, but others must)

Quote:
The result is an ever-more-clamorous politics, and the survival of the shrillest. Hence 2017, the year of living splenetically, has been replete with confirmations of Eric Hoffer’s aphorisms: “Rudeness is the weak man’s imitation of strength.” And: “We lie the loudest when we lie to ourselves.”

0 Replies

revelette1

Fri 22 Dec, 2017 11:30 am
Trump Promised to Protect Steel. Layoffs Are Coming Instead. (NYT)

Quote:
The layoffs have stunned these steelworkers who, just a year ago, greeted President Trump’s election as a new dawn for their industry. Mr. Trump pledged to build roads and bridges, strengthen “Buy America” provisions, protect factories from unfair imports and revive industry, especially steel.

But after a year in office, Mr. Trump has not enacted these policies. And when it comes to steel, his failure to follow through on a promise has actually done more harm than good.

Foreign steel makers have rushed to get their product into the United States before tariffs start. According to the American Iron and Steel Institute, which tracks shipments, steel imports were 19.4 percent higher in the first 10 months of 2017 than in the same period last year.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 22 Dec, 2017 11:32 am
@blatham,
When does the laying on of hands start?
badger2

Fri 22 Dec, 2017 03:06 pm
@layman,
The Bundy case of 1998 links to what was already known for the desert tortoise at Las Vegas in 1997:

Oct 1997 Las Vegas / Desert Tortoise Mycoplasma
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9391959

The two earlier links are from Gainesville, Florida:

Oct 1994 Gainesville, Florida / Desert Tortoise Mycoplasma
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7927724

Jun 1993 Gainesville, Florida / Desert Tortoise Mycoplasma
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8314986

The Bunkerville Allotment links the desert tortoise mycoplasma infection precisely to Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada and Mycoplasma bovis for the prion connection to bovine spongiform encephalopathy discovered at Lethbridge from a UK cow imported in 1987. Thus, Mabton, Washington in Yakima County links mad cow to CWD brought into Oregon from Montana (Jefferson County ). Lethbridge mad cow was reported in Dec 1993, linking to the 1993 Bundy chron.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 22 Dec, 2017 03:35 pm
@ehBeth,
No kidding.
0 Replies

Builder

Fri 22 Dec, 2017 03:36 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
If there are around 5000 major, world wide corporations you consider...

According to wiki; The list is limited to 35 companies, all of which have annual revenues exceeding $100 billion US dollars.

Quote:
and a CEO lasts around five years

BusinessInsider states; The average tenure of a departing S&P 500 company CEO is 9.7 years.

Quote:
then you would expect around 250 resignations per quarter.

Would you resign from a six-figure salary? If so, why would you resign?
0 Replies

Builder

Fri 22 Dec, 2017 03:43 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Two stories about the late, lamented EPA:

You might have a short memory, but I'll remind you here that prez Obama appointed former Monsanto vice-president of Public Policy to the FDA.

He also followed Citibank's list of its preferred candidates for cabinet positions in an Obama administration. This list was handed to Barry before the election.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 22 Dec, 2017 06:04 pm
A real example of a middle-class tax cut

http://www.msnbc.com/sites/msnbc/files/styles/ratio--3-2--830x553/public/allin_taxcuts_171220.jpg?itok=7ovXuZwd

Quote:
It’s easy for many to forget, but when President Obama and congressional Democrats approved the Recovery Act – better known at the time as the Dems’ “stimulus” package – they didn’t just rescue the economy from the Great Recession. In the process, they also passed one of the largest middle-class tax cuts in recent memory.
Roughly a third of the Recovery Act went toward direct investment, a third went to assist states, and a third went to cut taxes – with a special emphasis on working families
Benen
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 22 Dec, 2017 06:09 pm
One quote that perfectly describes the last year and more. This is how stupid Trump thinks his base is.
Quote:
Billy Bush, to whom Trump bragged about sexual assault during the infamous "Access Hollywood" recording, recently wrote a piece for the New York Times, which included an interesting anecdote.

Quote:
In the days, weeks and months to follow, I was highly critical of the idea of a Trump presidency. The man who once told me -- ironically, in another off-camera conversation -- after I called him out for inflating his ratings: "People will just believe you. You just tell them and they believe you," was, I thought, not a good choice to lead our country.
Benen

0 Replies

Builder

Fri 22 Dec, 2017 06:17 pm
AG Sessions “While I am hopeful that there were no barriers constructed by the last administration to allowing DEA agents to fully bring all appropriate cases under Project Cassandra, this is a significant issue for the protection of Americans,” Sessions said in a written statement. “We will review these matters and give full support to investigations of violent drug trafficking organizations.”

source
blatham

Fri 22 Dec, 2017 06:57 pm
Quote:
More than 40 former U.S. attorneys and Republican and conservative officials are pushing back against efforts to discredit the special counsel investigating Russian interference in the 2016 election.

In a pair of letters, the groups say Robert Mueller and his team must be allowed to continue their work, unimpeded.

The 22 former U.S. attorneys, who served under presidents from Richard Nixon through Barack Obama, say it is “critical” to the “interests of justice and public trust to ensure that those charged with conducting complex investigations are allowed to do their jobs free from interference or fear of reprisal.”

Seeking Mueller’s removal “would have severe repercussions for Americans’ sense of justice here at home and for our reputation for fairness around the world,” they wrote in a letter to President Donald Trump on Friday that was coordinated by Georgetown Law’s Institute for Constitutional Advocacy and Protection.
AP

The risks to Trump and the GOP if Trump decides to remove Meuller are very great. Of course, Trump may be acutely aware that the threats to him and family (which is all he cares about) from Meuller's probe may be far greater. This is why we don't know what he'll do.

He will, in any case, continue to work with right wing media on their campaign to denigrate the motives of Meuller and the FBI (or any other entity digging into this subject) and to obfuscate anything that comes up which suggests Trump's collusion.

And all of this is why, if Trump does move to get rid of Meuller and the investigation or if he moves to pardon everyone involved, then we'll know he's guilty and we'll know it with certainty.

And we'll also know something else. If the above does happen in this present environment (GOP sycophancy and absent morals) then America's only way out of that dire situation will be absolutely massive citizen protest and activism.
layman

Fri 22 Dec, 2017 07:03 pm
@Builder,
Exactly, Builda"

Quote:
“Protecting our citizens from terrorist organizations and combating the devastating drug crisis gripping our nation are two of the Justice Department’s top priorities,” Sessions said. “Operations designed to investigate and prosecute terrorist organizations that are also fueling that drug crisis must be paramount in this administration.”

According to a bombshell exposé in Politico on Sunday, an elaborate campaign led by the Drug Enforcement Administration, known as Project Cassandra, targeted the Lebanese militant group’s criminal activities.

But when Project Cassandra leaders, who were working out of a DEA facility in Chantilly, Virginia, sought approval for some significant investigations, prosecutions, arrests and financial sanctions, Obama Justice and Treasury Department officials delayed, hindered or rejected their requests, according to Politico.]

They won't do anything with Obama's sorry ass, but they will prosecute these terrorists/criminals. These investigations had been going on for about 8 years and massive evidence had been compiled for prosecution prior to being abandoned by the Obama-corrupted DOJ.
roger

Fri 22 Dec, 2017 07:06 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:

Seeking Mueller’s removal “would have severe repercussions for Americans’ sense of justice here at home and for our reputation for fairness around the world,” they wrote in a letter to President Donald Trump on Friday that was coordinated by Georgetown Law’s Institute for Constitutional Advocacy and Protection.

I think it has been obvious for some time that Trump couldn't care less about our reputation around the world.