monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

BillW

Sat 16 Dec, 2017 10:41 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Ive heard that the HUGO BOSS label will be resurrected for Trumpietype uniforms and party shirts

HUGO - XXXXFATBOSS
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 16 Dec, 2017 10:44 am
Intended to note this a few days ago.

Hightor alerted me to a review in the New York Review of Books, title "Kick Against the Pricks" by Laura Kipnis. Read it. It's very bright.
https://www.nybooks.com/articles/2017/12/21/kick-against-the-pricks/
0 Replies

BillW

Sat 16 Dec, 2017 11:09 am
@blatham,
blatham, it is a very Rovian technique. Repukes have been using it for over 30 years. Get something published in a reputable news source, omit words indicating the comments are totally false, republish revised in in Faux News. Now, Repuke pundits and politicians espouse the lies as true and attribute their lies as having come from reputable sources, such as NYT. They disparage the Times until they need a truthful source for backup, even though their fake rags have adulterted the original.

Are their patronage so stupid? Well, we have a number of them on these threads as solid proof of this stupidity, ignorance, or whatever the deceptions causality are.
0 Replies

layman

Sat 16 Dec, 2017 11:16 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

Oh, wait, my bad, yes they can:

Quote:
Video of the shooting was released to the public Thursday after Brailsford was found not guilty by jurors.

"I just don't understand how anybody could watch that video and then say 'not guilty,' that this is justified," Sweet said. "That Daniel deserved this and that Philip Brailsford doesn't deserve to be held accountable for his actions."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/12/14/unarmed-mans-death-execution-by-arizona-officer-widow-says.html

For some reason, God only know what, but some damn reason, I aint seen black commentators on MSM outlets railing 24/7 about this execution of an unarmed man.

I mean, I would at least expect the locals to be looting like crazy, but it seems they aint. What's up with that?
0 Replies

BillW

Sat 16 Dec, 2017 11:30 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Obviously, they just and only asked ONE, and got that $120,000 offer- so just guessing that nobody else would give a lower bid is enough if there's a strong Republican tie.

Cost is not the only reason one looks for competing bids..... in fact, there are many, many more! A trend of only getting one bid on contracts is a sign of a corrupt organization. Nothing out of the ordinary for a tRumpt action here; total DUH!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sat 16 Dec, 2017 11:52 am
A little while back there was some discussion in this thread of voters in the Appalachians.

Interesting study on the effect of coal mining on personality on Quirks and Quarks today

Quote:
Coal mining left entire populations psychologically damaged and the impact continues today

summary and podcast

Quote:
The experiment

An international team of psychologists, including Dr. Martin Obschonka from the Queensland University of Technology in Brisbane, Australia, studied a data base of over 400,000 personality tests in the U.K. and similar data from more than one million people in the United States. They looked at what psychologists refer to as the "big five" personality traits — extroversion, agreeableness, conscientiousness, neuroticism, and openness. The data was broken down by region and compared to 19th century coal mining areas and other industrial heartlands in both the the U.K. and the U.S.

Quote:
The psychological imprint

They found the Industrial Revolution has left a damaging psychological imprint on people who remain living in these areas. This legacy has been passed down genetically. People living in the former industrial heartlands are more disposed to negative emotions and are more likely to struggle with self-motivation. Specifically, neuroticism was much higher in these areas and conscientiousness was much lower on average. The researchers believe that this type of regional personality can also exist in post-war regions as well as in areas that have experienced natural disasters.

link to publication for those who have access

http://psycnet.apa.org/doiLanding?doi=10.1037%2Fpspp0000175

___

useful for those campaigning in the area

gotta know your voters

__

also gotta know what they are up against
maybe you can help them understand why
maybe not

also from Quirks and Quarks

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/october-14-2017-1.4353185/trump-is-losing-the-war-on-coal-to-the-free-market-1.4353200

Quote:
Scott Pruitt, the administrator of the US Environmental Protection agency announced the repeal of President Obama's Clean Power Plan, and what he said was the end of the "war on coal." The Clean Power Plan set standards for carbon emissions in the electrical power industry, which likely would have led to the decomissioning of many coal-fired electrical generating stations.

The plan was never implemented, as it immediately faced legal challenges, but has nevertheless been blamed for coal-plant closures and the roughly 10 per cent drop in coal-based electrical generation in recent years.

Quote:
Some analysts suggest that it may have been energy markets, more than regulation or activism, that have led to the decline of US coal-fired power generation, and the cancellation of the Energy East pipeline project.

According to Dr. Nicholas Rivers, Canada Research Chair in Climate and Energy Policy at the University of Alberta, the decline in coal-fired electricity generation in the US is mostly due to competition. Increases in natural gas production from fracking led to many utilities to close coal plants, convert them to gas, or build new gas plants. In addition, the adoption of renewables like wind and solar has been far faster than many analysts had anticipated, and in some markets these technologies are now generating electricity more cheaply than coal.

As a result, forecasters now think that even though the Clean Power Plan is dead, its goals for emissions reductions may still be met.

both ^ are short podcasts

layman

Sat 16 Dec, 2017 01:07 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

They found the Industrial Revolution has left a damaging psychological imprint on people who remain living in these areas. This legacy has been passed down genetically.

Side note: The Modern Synthetic evolutionary model (Neo-darwinism) denies that acquired characteristics can be genetically passed on to future generations.

If, for example, you cut the tails off of mice, their progeny will not be born without tails.

Pseudo-scientific claims made by "psychologists" are nothing new, of course.

Walter Hinteler

Sat 16 Dec, 2017 01:12 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:
If, for example, you cut the tails off of mice, their progeny will not be born without tails.
And that study, I suppose, was done in the former industrial heartlands of England and Wales as well - but not published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology due to the different topic and subject?
layman

Sat 16 Dec, 2017 01:22 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

layman wrote:
And that study, I suppose, was done in the former industrial heartlands of England and Wales as well - but not published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology due to the different topic and subject?

It's not a study, Walt, it's a doctrine. A non-negotiable theoretical tenet known as the "Wiesmann barrier," which was hypothesized long before "genes" were even discovered.

That said, some guy did, back in the day, cut the tails off of thousand of mice to see if it would affect their offspring.
layman

Sat 16 Dec, 2017 01:29 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

layman wrote:

You citation does NOT make the claim about genetic propagaion which was posted, so, yes it is a different topic and subject. Your cite says:

Quote:
Recent research has identified regional variation of personality traits within countries but we know little about the underlying drivers of this variation.

They don't claim to know. But that doesn't stop them from speculating:

Quote:
We propose that the Industrial Revolution, as a key era in the history of industrialized nations, has led to a persistent clustering of well-being outcomes and personality traits associated with psychological adversity via processes of selective migration and socialization.

Hint: "selective migration and socialization" have nothing to do with genetic inheiritance.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 16 Dec, 2017 01:36 pm
@layman,
I would read the study and not just the abstract before (it's online, e.g. at "Research Gate" or via any university library).
And I would try to make correct citations.
0 Replies

hightor

Sat 16 Dec, 2017 01:39 pm
@layman,
Could a psychological imprint suggest some sort of transgenerational epigenetic inheritance without recourse to Lamarckian biology? Especially in isolated cultures?
layman

Sat 16 Dec, 2017 01:54 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

It's not a study, Walt, it's a doctrine. A non-negotiable theoretical tenet known as the "Wiesmann barrier," which was hypothesized long before "genes" were even discovered.

That said, some guy did, back in the day, cut the tails off of thousand of mice to see if it would affect their offspring.

I should have been more specific when I said "some guy." That "guy" was August Weismann, the inventor of the Wiesmann barrier hypothesis.

Quote:
His main contribution involved germ plasm theory, at one time also known as Weismannism,[according to which inheritance (in a multicellular organism) only takes place by means of the germ cells—the gametes such as egg cells and sperm cells. Other cells of the body—somatic cells—do not function as agents of heredity. The effect is one-way: germ cells produce somatic cells and are not affected by anything the somatic cells learn or therefore any ability an individual acquires during its life. Genetic information cannot pass from soma to germ plasm and on to the next generation. Biologists refer to this concept as the Weismann barrier. This idea, if true, rules out the inheritance of acquired characteristics as proposed by Jean-Baptiste Lamarck.

The idea of the Weismann barrier is central to the modern synthesis of the early 20th century, though scholars do not express it today in the same terms.

It was crucial to the world view of the neo-darwinists to obliterate Lamarckian theories of inheritance.

But, as any rational person will realize, cutting tails off of mice says nothing about Lamarck's theories, really.
0 Replies

layman

Sat 16 Dec, 2017 01:55 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Could a psychological imprint suggest some sort of transgenerational epigenetic inheritance without recourse to Lamarckian biology? Especially in isolated cultures?

Sure, I suppose it could. But any such suggestion would be positively prohibited by the neo-darwinists, which is the theory I cited in my post.

Prohibited on grounds of strict dogma, that is, not necessarily on the basis of bioligical/evolutionary evidence.
0 Replies

layman

Sat 16 Dec, 2017 03:39 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
Originally we were told that 17 intelligence agencies believed we were hacked by Russians. It turned out to be a very few people in a few agencies.

This is inaccurate and if he's that careless with the facts it makes me doubt anything else he has to say on the matter.

Yeah, right, eh?:

Quote:
The Post article’s authors – Greg Miller, Greg Jaffe and Philip Rucker – say that a Jan. 6 Intelligence Community Assessment (ICA) said it was an “objective reality” that Russia meddled our election to help Donald Trump win.

The truth is that the January ICA is far from objective truth and had serious problems.

Why?

Because intelligence community procedures on drafting this type of analysis were not followed and it reflected the views of only three intelligence agencies – not all 17 as the mainstream media claimed. The New York Times was forced to publish a correction on this point last June.

Even worse, as I explained in a May 12 Fox News op-ed, the January ICA on Russian interference in the 2016 election was drafted by a group of about two dozen hand-picked analysts, a major violation of intelligence community procedures.

Miller, Jaffe and Rucker also try to shore up the deteriorating narrative of collusion between President Trump and his advisers with the Russians. A long front-page story in the Washington Post Friday t is deeply flawed and amounts to fake news.

I reach this conclusion based on my 25 years working in and with the U.S. intelligence community. It is clear to me that the Post story is designed to advance the left’s teetering Trump-Russia collusion narrative. The truth is that the January ICA is far from objective truth and had serious problems. I broke the story on Fox News.com last January that this assessment appeared to be rigged to produce a conclusion to hurt President Trump politically.

Never mind that no evidence whatsoever of such collusion between Trump or his campaign and Russia to influence the presidential election has surfaced, despite multiple investigations since mid-2016. Current and former intelligence officers have been trying to undermine Donald Trump since the summer of 2016 by calling him “a traitor,” stating they would refuse to brief him when he was a presidential candidate.

I have long believed that this disrespectful and irresponsible behavior severely damaged the relationship between U.S. intelligence agencies and President Trump. I was stunned when former Deputy CIA Director Michael Morell recently appeared to concede this point.

Morell, who wrote an August 2016 New York Times op-ed calling candidate Trump a “threat to our national security,” told Politico’s Susan Glasser earlier this month that he and other intelligence officers failed to think through the consequences of their partisan attacks on the man who would go on to become our president.

It’s too bad that the authors of the Post article did not explore the suspicious nature of President Obama’s last-minute Russia sanctions on Russia. The sanctions appear to have been part of a larger strategy by the Obama administration, the Clinton campaign and the Democratic National Committee to abuse the enormous power of U.S. intelligence agencies, the FBI, the Justice Department, and the Office of the President to discredit and defeat candidate Trump and then cause problems for President Trump.

But expecting the Washington Post to do these things is too much to hope for from one of America’s leading Fake News outlets.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/12/16/washington-post-attack-on-trump-about-russia-briefings-is-deeply-flawed-fake-news.html

As I have previously pointed out, the ICA itself explicitly said that it's conclusions were not a matter of objective facts.

Who's the one who is being "careless with the facts," here, eh?

The CIA's negative animus, distrust and hatred of Trump ("traitor--security threat") does not incline one to presume that their reports relating to Trump were either impartial or accurate.

You presume to know all "facts." I tend to think that you know little more than how to parrot the bogus "talking ponts" spoonfed to you by Trump haters.
Builder

Sat 16 Dec, 2017 04:42 pm
@layman,
Quote:
You presume to know all "facts." I tend to think that you know little more than how to parrot the bogus "talking ponts" spoonfed to you by Trump haters.

He's pentacostal, which tells me a lot about his fact-finding "skill" set.
0 Replies

layman

Sat 16 Dec, 2017 05:43 pm
Impossible! This guy is more honest, honorable, and proper than any other person who ever lived, I tellya! He would NEVER receive or use materials that had been obtained in violation of the constitution.

Quote:
Mueller improperly obtained transition documents in Russia probe

A lawyer for the Trump presidential transition team is accusing Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s office of inappropriately obtaining transition documents as part of its Russia probe, including confidential attorney-client communications, privileged communications and thousands of emails without their knowledge.

In a letter obtained by Fox News and sent to House and Senate committees on Saturday, the transition team’s attorney alleges “unlawful conduct” by the career staff at the General Services Administration in handing over transition documents to the special counsel’s office. The transition legal team argues that the release of documents could be a violation of the 4th Amendment – which protects against unreasonable searches and seizures.

“We understand that the special counsel’s office has subsequently made extensive use of the materials it obtained from the GSA, including materials that are susceptible to privilege claims,” Langhofer writes.

The transition attorney said the special counsel's office also received laptops, cell phones and at least one iPad from the GSA.

Langhofer wrote that some of the records obtained by the special counsel’s office from the GSA “have been leaked to the press by unknown persons.”

The Trump transition team lawyer also argued the actions “impair the ability of future presidential transition teams to candidly discuss policy and internal matters that benefit the country as a whole.”

Langhofer requests in the letter that Congress “act immediately to protect future presidential transitions from having their private records misappropriated by government agencies, particularly in the context of sensitive investigations intersecting with political motives."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/12/16/trump-lawyer-mueller-improperly-obtained-transition-documents-in-russia-probe.html

0 Replies

layman

Sat 16 Dec, 2017 05:56 pm
Quote:
Trump phones John McCain's wife as Arizona senator hospitalized with brain cancer

According to at least one anonymous "in-the-know" source, when Mrs. McCain took the call, Trump just laughed hysterically for two to three minutes.

When he regained his composure, he screamed into the phone: "PAYBACK'S A BITCH, EH, SKANK!?" Then he slammed down the phone with such force that the receiver shattered into small bits.

The White House has not returned a call asking for a confirmation or denial of this account.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 16 Dec, 2017 06:03 pm
This ought to be posted each day
Quote:
"The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists."
Hannah Arendt
Builder

Sat 16 Dec, 2017 06:20 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
This ought to be posted each day

Likewise should the Rasmussen report.

Friday, December 15, 2017

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Friday shows that 40% of Likely U.S. Voters approve of President Trump’s job performance. Fifty-seven percent (57%) disapprove.

The latest figures include 28% who Strongly Approve of the way Trump is performing and 47% who Strongly Disapprove. This gives him a Presidential Approval Index rating of -19.
0 Replies