monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Below viewing threshold (view)
NSFW (view)
Below viewing threshold (view)
georgeob1

Tue 12 Dec, 2017 02:59 pm
@BillW,
BillW wrote:

I grew in Texas and Tennessee then moved to New York in 1960, moving back south in 1963. I knew and hated racism in the south, knew history; but, hadn't put it together completely with politics yet.

When in New York, I began to realize that the black racism in the south was reflected in the north as anti Jew, Italians (Waps), and NE European (Slavics, Polacks, etc). There is some form of majority/minority conflict everywhere!

Of course, nothing is comparable with racism in the south. Well, except Nazism and the Jews, or, Christians vs the Muslims, or, Christians vs the Jews, or, Shia vs the Sunnis, or, oh, nevermind!

You've offered us a good description of human intolerance. Some level of it exists everywhere, as you aptly noted above. Much of it fades over time with familiarity and coexistence, as folks come to learn (once again) that differences among individuals are usually greater and more meaningful than the preconceived differences among the various groups based on such prejudices.

Blatham's endlessly repeated references to a "movement conservatism" ,which he believes animates anyone who advocates conservative views of economic or social policy or norms, is a very good example of such prejudice. He's got a ready made explanation for the motives and intentions of anyone who expresses a view contrary to his own, and imagines his "scholarship" ( i.e. research into the expressed opinions of other like minded commentators - something that is neither scholarly nor objective ) proves him right. Indeed, in this, he sounds a bit like the nonsensical purveyors of anti Semitic, Arian racism of Germany in the 1930s and beyond.
Cycloptichorn

Tue 12 Dec, 2017 03:02 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:

Blatham's endlessly repeated references to a "movement conservatism"

I mean, this is a real thing. It's a term used by Conservative writers all the time, it's not like Blatham made it up as a catch-all to smear those who disagree with him.

Cycloptichorn
Walter Hinteler

Tue 12 Dec, 2017 03:10 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
See for instance Movement conservatve @ Conservapedia.
glitterbag

Tue 12 Dec, 2017 03:11 pm
@georgeob1,
It’s almost as if we had a Bill O’Reilly channeling William F. Buckley channeling Anne Coulter.

0 Replies

maporsche

Tue 12 Dec, 2017 03:20 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I'd never heard of Conservapedia before, but after clicking the hyperlink for 'logic' on that page you linked to, the following is the first point.

http://www.conservapedia.com/Logic
Quote:
The most logical book ever written is the Bible, yet some people reject or avoid it because they dislike being informed of the truth, and would prefer denying it.

Shocked Shocked Shocked
Cycloptichorn

Tue 12 Dec, 2017 03:25 pm
@maporsche,
Yeah, that site is a joke

Cycloptichorn
Builder

Tue 12 Dec, 2017 03:38 pm
@layman,
Quote:
The evolution of public discourse in the year since is worthy of scholarly study: Possibilities became allegations, and these became probabilities. Then the probabilities turned into certainties, and these evolved into what are now taken to be established truths. By my reckoning, it required a few days to a few weeks to advance from each of these stages to the next. This was accomplished via the indefensibly corrupt manipulations of language repeated incessantly in our leading media.

Trial by media, and it's ongoing. Not surprising that the cheer squad on this page don't want to hear about it.

Quote:
No more comment on this, Hi? If you were paying attention, you would know that the "whole russia investigation" has been turned upside down.

I rest my case, your honor.

glitterbag

Tue 12 Dec, 2017 03:41 pm
@Builder,
Builder wrote:

Quote:
The evolution of public discourse in the year since is worthy of scholarly study: Possibilities became allegations, and these became probabilities. Then the probabilities turned into certainties, and these evolved into what are now taken to be established truths. By my reckoning, it required a few days to a few weeks to advance from each of these stages to the next. This was accomplished via the indefensibly corrupt manipulations of language repeated incessantly in our leading media.

Trial by media, and it's ongoing. Not surprising that the cheer squad on this page don't want to hear about it.

You can’t make this stuff up 😮
blatham

Tue 12 Dec, 2017 03:46 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
I mean, this is a real thing. It's a term used by Conservative writers all the time
George is a nice fellow but he doesn't read a lot (of the relevant material available). I'm pretty sure if we asked him, for example, who Paul Weyrich is and why he's an important figure, I doubt George would know. Or if we asked about the historical importance of the Powell Memo, I think the same would be true. It's why we Canadians are needed in conversations with American conservatives (of the movement sort). Someone has to do the heavy lifting.
blatham

Tue 12 Dec, 2017 03:47 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Re: Cycloptichorn (Post 6555380)
See for instance Movement conservatve @ Conservapedia.
Oh, that's just a lovely link, Walter. Schlafly herself is, of course, a key figure in movement conservatism and she's been kicking around since Goldwater.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 12 Dec, 2017 03:49 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
I'd never heard of Conservapedia before,
It's been around for a long time and I find it just delightful. Your "logic" entry is a perfect example. It was started up by Phyllis Schlafly's son.
0 Replies

BillW

Tue 12 Dec, 2017 03:50 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag, understand that the Repukes take actions they are doing, appling it to their mortal enemies (Dems) as what they do with the exact conclusions they are hoping to achieve. Nothing new here, been going on for years/decades. A Carl Moore, Roger Stone trick. Say it often enough, loud enough and by as many people as one can muster; then, it becomes fact (not)!
0 Replies

Builder

Tue 12 Dec, 2017 03:53 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
You can’t make this stuff up

Nope, I can't.

Quote:
A New Report Raises Big Questions About Last Year’s DNC Hack
Former NSA experts say it wasn’t a hack at all, but a leak—an inside job by someone with access to the DNC’s system.

source

Quote:
This report also claims there is no apparent evidence that the hacker known as Guccifer 2.0 — supposedly based in Romania — hacked the DNC on behalf of the Russian government. There is also no evidence, the report's authors say, that Guccifer handed documents over to WikiLeaks. Instead, the report says that the evidence and timeline of events suggests that Guccifer may have been conjured up in an attempt to deflect from the embarrassing information about Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign that was released just before the Democratic National Convention. The investigators found that some of the "Guccifer" files had been deliberately altered by copying and pasting the text into a "Russianified" word-processing document with Russian-language settings.

If all this is true, these findings would constitute a massive embarrassment for not only the DNC itself but the media, which has breathlessly pushed the Russian hacking narrative for an entire year, almost without question but with little solid evidence to back it up.

source
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 12 Dec, 2017 03:54 pm
Quote:
While Moore has his ardent fans, more than anything else, this election may wind up being the perfect embodiment of the common belief on the right that anything that makes liberals mad must be good. As Alabama columnist Kyle Whitmire recently wrote, "If The Washington Post ran a banner headline tomorrow saying, 'Antifreeze is poison, don't drink it,' a sizable number of Alabamians would be dead tomorrow."

You hear something similar in testimony from voter after voter: Sure, maybe Moore stalked malls and high schools preying on teenage girls, but what am I going to do — vote for a Democrat? It's the purest expression of negative partisanship, the tendency of voters on both sides to be motivated much more strongly by dislike of the other party than by affection for their own. In 2016, Donald Trump showed how powerful negative partisanship can be — he did no worse among Republican voters than Mitt Romney or John McCain did, despite all the misgivings so many of them supposedly had — and the Alabama election is providing an even more vivid illustration.
TheWeek
0 Replies

maporsche

Tue 12 Dec, 2017 04:05 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

At first I thought that you meant that the site was satirical (like The Onion).

Turns out that it's not meant to be and that items like I posted about logic are only funny in a 'I can't believe they're serious!!" kind of way.
BillW

Tue 12 Dec, 2017 04:10 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

At first I thought that you meant that the site was satirical (like The Onion).

Turns out that it's not meant to be and that items like I posted about logic are only funny in a 'I can't believe they're serious!!" kind of way.

But, the sites logic makes more truth/sense if you view it as a "Onion" type site. Then again, that is the way I think of the majority of the Repuke Party now. If it was not soooo serious, it would be funny!
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 12 Dec, 2017 04:12 pm
Quote:
The persistence of Roy Moore’s Senate campaign in Alabama offers Republicans no similar quarter. Moore—a credibly accused pedophile—can’t boast a Trump-like history of heterodoxy. He has been a right-wing authoritarian, theocrat, and folk hero for a very long time. Should Moore win, his victory would not force Democrats into a new cycle of recriminations, the way Trump’s did, but it would underscore the fact that Republicans have doubled down on the Faustian bet they made last year.

Then as now, Republicans managed to sever their ties with their morally indefensible candidate for about a week. In exchange for what may prove to be a decisive vote for corporate tax cuts and unqualified federal judges, Republicans have shown they will tolerate nearly bottomless depravity. To those ends they have declined to discourage people from voting for Moore. To the same ends, they would most likely look past the impropriety of Trump firing Justice Department special counsel Robert Mueller.

But for all these reasons, Republicans won’t be able to differentiate themselves from Moore the way they were able to differentiate themselves from Trump.
Brian Beutler
0 Replies