monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Cycloptichorn

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 05:40 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I don't support it as good or honorable behavior, but I do see a distinction between that sort of questionable contact and the outright predation and power-leveraging that we're seeing people get in trouble for.

I put it up there with the time I stole a stop sign. Not really defensible but not exactly a crime either

Cycloptichorn
blatham

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 05:48 pm
Great news, everyone.
Quote:
Fresh Out of Prison, Reviled Coal Baron Don Blankenship Is Running for the U.S. Senate
NYMag

But I don't think he'll arrive in the Senate. It seems more likely that Trump and Pence will have him heading up the Department of the Interior before the election.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 06:00 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
It wasn't an exactly uncommon thing when I was in college. Like I said, it happened to me more than once, which (as a guy) was flattering.

Me as well. I hadn't even thought about this. Presuming my memory is intact, I've had my ass grabbed (and remarked upon) by females on many more occasions but I cannot recall doing the same, certainly not grabbing a bum.

But I think we have to acknowledge here that we males don't feel threatened by such behavior because we don't have reason to feel threatened. That's often not so for women. We know, at least approximately, the stats on women being assaulted and raped. And I'm not even sure anyone has done such studies on males being assaulted or raped by females.
blatham

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 06:03 pm
For the love of god, this is repulsive.
Quote:
In a gesture meant to convey just how seriously President Trump takes his responsibility to combat the opioid emergency, Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced on Wednesday the appointment of America’s first opioid czar — Kellyanne Conway.

Conway is a career pollster and pundit, best known for managing Donald Trump’s presidential campaign and telling brazen lies on cable news. She has no experience in public health.
NYMag
Cycloptichorn

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 06:08 pm
@blatham,
That is absolutely the case.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 06:09 pm
@blatham,
Made me laugh, but crying would be smarter.

On the irish bar, that was Tom Bergens.
blatham

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 06:29 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
On the irish bar, that was Tom Bergens.
?
ossobucotemp

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 07:02 pm
@blatham,
Doh, I wrote a perfectly coherent description of a wonderful bar, just south of Wilshire Blvd. in Los Angeles and just north of Olympic. Good place, at least back then. Alas, I must have failed to click on SEND.

I've been doing that lately. Odd way to erase myself..
blatham

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 07:06 pm
@ossobucotemp,
No problem. I'm so beset by memory glitches that I figured you'd written something and I'd forgotten it.
ossobucotemp

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 07:22 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

No problem. I'm so beset by memory glitches that I figured you'd written something and I'd forgotten it.

I've been losing people's names and various words for a while now, maybe a year, but I tend to nab it fast using the old "starts with a c" method, and boom, it shows up. Luckily I'm alphabetically inclined.

Sometimes the word shows up by magic.
blatham

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 07:37 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I cheat. "Sir" and "Madam". Socially, this works quite well. But when writing, the problem becomes a huge time waster.
Builder

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 08:39 pm
@blatham,
I prefer butter to margarine, particularly when frying, but if the pan is stainless steel, then adding some olive oil to the butter, prevents sticking.
0 Replies

Lash

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 09:14 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
No, I’ve been pissed as hell that Clinton actually raped a couple of women and you guys gave him a pass.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 11:12 pm
Seems, many still try it ....

Quote:
https://i.imgur.com/oI0K2m9.jpg
BillW

Wed 29 Nov, 2017 11:16 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I heard also that he wasn't even Muslim. Sad, real sad and a totally bigoted thing for tRump to do. Sorry blatham, he is a White Supremacist in the worst way!
Walter Hinteler

Thu 30 Nov, 2017 12:07 am
@BillW,
And these retweets are now the reason of an extraordinary diplomatic spat between the transatlantic allies USA and UK, because Trump has publicly rebuked Theresa May over her criticism of anti-Muslim propaganda and supporting a British far right hate group.

But at least this extreme far right, pseudo-paramilitary neo-Nazi group got now worldwide attention.

[As an aside: Britain First was initially supported by James Dowson, a former Calvinist minister from Northern Ireland who has expressed support for Mr. Trump, President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia and Britain’s vote to leave the European Union. But he parted ways with Britain First in 2014 over its tactic of "mosque invasions".]
izzythepush

Thu 30 Nov, 2017 01:49 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The thug who murdered Jo Cox shouted 'Britain first,' when he shot her.

Trump is right about one thing the terrorist threat is real, just that he's supporting the terrorists.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Thu 30 Nov, 2017 01:59 am
@blatham,
Quote:
we have to acknowledge here that we males don't feel threatened by such behavior because we don't have reason to feel threatened. That's often not so for women.

I think that might be a question of weight/strength difference. It would feel scary to have your ass grabbed by anyone twice your strength, male or female.

The daughter of an old flame once grabbed mine, out of the blue. That was rather disturbing. Another time at the supermarket, here in Rome, while i was collecting zucchini, this short woman came to me and asked suggestively if I liked big zucchini... Before I could think of any answer she grabbed my crotch and said: "I bet this one is the biggest of all". This one was actually funny... I didn't feel bad at all. But then, we men are pigs anyway.

Builder

Thu 30 Nov, 2017 03:39 am
@Lash,
Quote:
No, I’ve been pissed as hell that Clinton actually raped a couple of women and you guys gave him a pass.

One school of thought, is that all this sexual depravity disclosure is a smokescreen for something else.

Bill's depravity isn't exactly new news. His wife's depravity may be news to some, though.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 30 Nov, 2017 04:40 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
I think that might be a question of weight/strength difference.
Indeed. In anthropology, the term for this is sexual dimorphism.
Those factors along with propensities towards aggression (there's a reason that armies and riots and bar fights etc are overwhelmingly the domain of males). I didn't feel bad or angry or frightened or assaulted any time a girl touched my bum. I found it funny or flirty or both. And perhaps that's a big part of the problem - we project ourselves onto the desires and wishes of women.