monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Mon 27 Nov, 2017 03:07 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Plame

Yeah. I edited that example out of my post figuring it would stimulate another one of those "whose ox is gored" equivalence circles.
Finn dAbuzz

Mon 27 Nov, 2017 03:15 pm
@Blickers,
Since they didn't choose who became president, your's is a ridiculous question.

Do you really think the release of those emails was all that led to her defeat?
Finn dAbuzz

Mon 27 Nov, 2017 03:17 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
You don't need to be of any ideology to know that it was Armitage, not Bush/Cheney/Libby who outted her, you just have to be informed.
blatham

Mon 27 Nov, 2017 03:17 pm
Only a person who is naturally as low class as this guy would be so pathologically obsessed with his reputation and class standing.
Quote:
Donald Trump's history with Native Americans has long been troubled. The Washington Post had a lengthy report last year documenting how the Republican has accused Indian reservations of being under the control of organized crime; he suggested dark-skinned Native Americans in Connecticut had faked their ancestry; and he "secretly paid for more than $1 million in ads that portrayed members of a tribe in Upstate New York as cocaine traffickers and career criminals."

Today, the president found a new way to make that relationship vastly worse.

Quote:
President Donald Trump revived his derogatory nickname for Democratic Sen. Elizabeth Warren Monday, referring to her as "Pocahontas" during an event honoring Native American veterans at the White House.

Trump told the veterans "you were here long before any of us were here. Although we have a representative in Congress who they say was here a long time ago. They call her Pocahontas."

After making the crack, Trump turned to one of the Navajo code talkers and said, "But you know what? I like you...."

If you watch the clip, note the silence in the room after Trump made his quip targeting Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.).
Benen
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Mon 27 Nov, 2017 03:18 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

You don't need to be of any ideology to know that it was Armitage, not Bush/Cheney/Libby who outted her, you just have to be informed.

It's really disappointing that you buy this bullshit. There's a mountain of evidence disproving what you're calling 'being informed,' but you don't really care about any of it so whatever

Cycloptichorn
maporsche

Mon 27 Nov, 2017 03:20 pm
So after reading about neoliberalism, turns out I guess that fits me pretty close. I'm for almost all social liberalism but lean towards free markets and sort of a middle ground between economic regulation and freedom. Of course, like anyone, my opinion on different issues cannot be fit into any one bubble....but as it is, I have no problem labeling myself as a neoliberal. None.

https://thosebastardsinwashington.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/9chambered-political-chart.jpg

blatham

Mon 27 Nov, 2017 03:24 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
According to testimony given in the CIA leak grand jury investigation and United States v. Libby, Bush administration officials Richard Armitage, Karl Rove, and Lewis Libby discussed the employment of a then-classified, covert CIA officer, Valerie E. Wilson (also known as Valerie Plame), with members of the press.[3][25]
wikipedia 'the plame affair'
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 27 Nov, 2017 03:28 pm
@maporsche,
Interesting nomenclature used there. Note the frame of Economic Regulation in opposition to Economic Freedom.

If you cannot drive, drunk, through the center of town and outside school playgrounds at 180 mph whenever you want, ignore traffic lights and stop signs all without gaining a driver's licence, then you are not free.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 27 Nov, 2017 03:36 pm
Quote:
More swamp draining news
The Washington Post reported overnight on the latest data from CBO, and the "large, harmful effects on the poor" imposed by the Senate Republicans' legislation.

Quote:
The Senate Republican tax plan gives substantial tax cuts and benefits to Americans earning more than $100,000 a year, while the nation's poorest would be worse off, according to a report released Sunday by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office. [...]

By 2019, Americans earning less than $30,000 a year would be worse off under the Senate bill, CBO found. By 2021, Americans earning $40,000 or less would be net losers, and by 2027, most people earning less than $75,000 a year would be worse off. On the flip side, millionaires and those earning $100,000 to $500,000 would be big beneficiaries, according to the CBO's calculations.

...The findings are largely in line with those released two weeks ago by the Joint Committee on Taxation, which is an official congressional office responsible for scrutinizing tax bills. The difference is, the CBO added a layer of scrutiny related to health care – which in turn made the Republican plan look even worse.
Benen
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 27 Nov, 2017 03:42 pm
Dishonesty and cowardliness clearly have a close relationship.

Trump is not going to campaign in person for Moore, even though he did that for Strange. But...
Quote:
President Trump continued his lonely campaign to boost Republican Roy Moore’s Senate bid in Alabama, taking to Twitter to denounce the candidate’s Democratic opponent as other GOP lawmakers continued to oppose their party’s nominee over sexual misconduct allegations.

“The last thing we need in Alabama and the U.S. Senate is a Schumer/Pelosi puppet who is WEAK on Crime, WEAK on the Border, Bad for our Military,” Trump tweeted Sunday morning, suggesting that Democrat Doug Jones would side with the Senate and House Democratic leaders. “Jones would be a disaster!”

The president later suggested that Republicans “can’t let Schumer/Pelosi win this race,” not mentioning Moore by name in either tweet but each time criticizing Jones in a way that made clear that Trump supported the controversial Republican nominee.
WP
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 27 Nov, 2017 03:54 pm
WE NEED MORE WOMEN IN POLITICAL OFFICE, FROM THE BOTTOM TO THE TOP
Quote:

In this bastion of Virginia-brand conservatism, dozens of Democratic women roared on a recent night as their organization’s leader crowed over their party’s historic electoral triumph.

For the first time since 1961, Chesterfield County backed a Democrat for governor — and the driving forces in this Richmond suburb included women who defiantly trumpeted a political label their party has ducked for decades.

“Are we done?” Kim Drew Wright asked members of the organization that she and her allies christened the Liberal Women of Chesterfield County after President Trump’s election last year.

“Noooooo!” the women shouted back.
Digby
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 27 Nov, 2017 04:01 pm
@maporsche,
do paleoconservatives stand upright and sport opposable thumbs??
blatham

Mon 27 Nov, 2017 04:13 pm
@farmerman,
Some do, some don't. But they are all very, very old now. Bay Buchanan is their spokesperson.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 27 Nov, 2017 04:19 pm
Earlier I brought up some concerns I have re the #metoo movement. Though I think this dynamic and this renegotiation of male and female behavior is profoundly necessary, that doesn't necessarily mean humans will handle such a shift well.

Masha Gessen at the New Yorker has a very good piece on this.
Quote:
In the current American conversation, women are increasingly treated as children: defenseless, incapable of consent, always on the verge of being victimized. This should give us pause. Being infantilized has never worked out well for women.
NYer
blatham

Mon 27 Nov, 2017 04:29 pm
There's nothing we are likely to read today that contains more truth than this, from EJ Dionne
Quote:
Ryan has already burnished his standing as a deficit hypocrite by pushing a comparable tax cut through the House. But don’t you worry. As soon as Republicans shovel every dollar they can to the people who pay their party’s bills, he’ll dust off those old the-sky-is-falling quotes and warn about the deficits he helped to bloat. He’ll tell us how urgent it is to slash Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security and programs for the needy (although he’ll try to bamboozle us again by claiming to be only “reforming” them).
WP
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 27 Nov, 2017 04:31 pm
This really made me laugh.

Quote:
Neil deGrasse Tyson‏Verified account
@neiltyson
Nov 26
A Lunar Eclipse flat-Earther’s have never seen.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DPkd0YBXcAANi4c.jpg
roger

Mon 27 Nov, 2017 04:37 pm
@blatham,
Priceless
Finn dAbuzz

Mon 27 Nov, 2017 04:37 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Yeah right. Smile
blatham

Mon 27 Nov, 2017 04:38 pm
More James O'Keefe douche-baggery along with some fine reporting by the Post.
Quote:
A woman who falsely claimed to The Washington Post that Roy Moore, the Republican U.S. Senate candidate in Alabama, impregnated her as a teenager appears to work with an organization that uses deceptive tactics to secretly record conversations in an effort to embarrass its targets.

In a series of interviews over two weeks, the woman shared a dramatic story about an alleged sexual relationship with Moore in 1992 that led to an abortion when she was 15. During the interviews, she repeatedly pressed Post reporters to give their opinions on the effects that her claims could have on Moore’s candidacy if she went public.

The Post did not publish an article based on her unsubstantiated account. When Post reporters confronted her with inconsistencies in her story and an Internet posting that raised doubts about her motivations, she insisted that she was not working with any organization that targets journalists.

But on Monday morning, Post reporters saw her walking into the New York offices of Project Veritas, an organization that targets the mainstream news media and left-leaning groups.
WP
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 27 Nov, 2017 04:38 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
It's really not all that disappointing that you continue to spew bullshit. I expect it.
0 Replies