monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Baldimo

Thu 29 Dec, 2016 06:58 pm
@giujohn,
He didn't wish for it, but he/she seems to be relishing it. I save my relish in people's deaths to those who truely deserve it, like Castro and anyone who runs with ISIS or other terrorist trash. I'm not quite as militant as Frugal is against the left wing. I'm happy to just point out their hypocrisy, I don't need to join in it.
Frugal1

Thu 29 Dec, 2016 07:10 pm
@Baldimo,
You joined in when you commented...

There is zero hypocrisy in my post, and I am not relishing her departure.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Thu 29 Dec, 2016 10:12 pm
A liberal who claims to supports the Alt right! He has a huge following.

0 Replies

tony5732

Thu 29 Dec, 2016 11:36 pm
@cicerone imposter,
There really isn't much else you could do. Scratch that. Some people are whining, others are using psychic powers to try to predict what happens, some are rioting.

The only real logical thing to do is watch and see what happens.

I will say watch the Obama right now. Take a good look at how he is spending his last days in office. I am trying to do a little more research on some of this, but it looks like he just gave Israel the finger, and Russia the finger, and Trump the finger. He's shitting in the seat before trump gets there.
old europe

Fri 30 Dec, 2016 03:22 am
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:
President-elect Donald Trump announced Wednesday the addition of roughly 8,000 new jobs for Americans, including 5,000 that telecommunications giant Sprint will bring from “all around the world.”

“They’re coming back to the United States, which is a nice change,” he said.

About that:

Quote:
Trump isn't responsible for Sprint bringing 5,000 jobs to the US

The telco's announcement is the result of a pre-existing investment deal, not the president-elect.

[...]

Here's the problem: Despite what Trump and the press release from Sprint said (and what its CEO recently tweeted), these jobs were part of a previous announcement from Softbank (Sprint's parent company) CEO Masayoshi Son -- not the direct result of working with Trump.

In mid-October, Softbank announced that the company was sinking $100 billion into a tech-investment fund.

When I reached out to a Sprint spokeswoman asking if the announcement was a direct result of working with Trump or part of a pre-existing deal, she copy and pasted the press release I'd sent along with my first email. I responded saying I already had the press release and asked again if this was a direct result of working with Trump or part of a pre-existing deal in place. I tagged Sprint in a tweet about the situation, and it wasn't until after that started getting retweeted that the spokesperson responded.

"This is part of the 50,000 jobs that Masa previously announced," she said. "This total will be a combination of newly created jobs and bringing some existing jobs back to the U.S."

This is where we are, folks: Our president-elect is tying his name to something he didn't have anything to do with, much like he did with "saving" 1,100 jobs at HVAC company Carrier, including 300 that weren't moving to Mexico in the first place. In November, Trump exaggerated that he stopped Ford from moving a Kentucky production plant to Mexico. In reality Ford announced it wouldn't move production of one model line to Mexico.
roger

Fri 30 Dec, 2016 03:48 am
@old europe,
Yeah, well, nothing new. New presidents (elect even) take credit whether they had anything to do with the good news. Bad news is always credited to their predecessors. I'm sure we will see enough of the latter.
old europe

Fri 30 Dec, 2016 05:35 am
@roger,
Oh, definitely. Not limited to presidents, either.

However, what I find remarkable about Trump is that he doesn't just pick some measure that is much more vague. Something like unemployment figures, or GDP, or debt, or Dow Jones performance.

Instead, he picks incredibly specific examples and numbers - like "I personally saved 1,100 jobs in Indiana that were due to be shipped to Mexico by Carrier" or "Because of me, Sprint created 5,000 new jobs in America."

It's just crazy how he seems to feel the need to personally claim credit for these very specific things, and how easily these claims are disproven. Then again, the last 18 months have shown that making outrageous claims and stating complete, obvious falsehoods are being rewarded.

So this clearly works for him.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 30 Dec, 2016 06:30 am
@tony5732,
Quote:
I am trying to do a little more research on some of this, but it looks like he just gave Israel the finger, and Russia the finger, and Trump the finger.

More research would be good. Re Israel, as I've noted in a number of posts earlier, this abstention (that is, a vote of which the Israeli government disapproves) has precedents in the administrations of Bush and Reagan. Further, no other nation in the world is on Israel's side in this settlement vote. Further, many in Israel are not on Netanyahu's side in this matter, nor are many (perhaps most) Jews living in the US. So, yeah, more research would be good.

Re Russsia - this is on a matter of a foreign nation hacking into US computer systems. It is a very important issue regarding US security and sovereignty. Anyone excusing Russia's actions and describing Obama's initiatives to punish Russia and to protect US security has their head on exactly backwards. How could anyone imagine this is inappropriate or unwarranted.

Re criticism of Trump - his actions on contacting foreign leaders totally outside of the normal channels and before taking office is unprecedented. And he has done this with near zero understanding of why he ought not to do this. More reading on this too would be valuable.
blatham

Fri 30 Dec, 2016 06:39 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Trump's been elected as our president. There's nothing more any one citizen can do but wait and see what happens during his tenure as president.

My only wish is that our country's economy continues to grow. At my age, not many other things matter.

That's your only wish? It's an important wish but my god man.

As to "wait and see" being your only option now - you've already had a chance to see lots from what he has said and written and the way in which he has behaved (from the primaries through to now) and in the appointments he has made. A vague hope that good will come of this and that folks ought to just sit in the bleachers watching it play out seems rather too much like the "good Germans" failure.

Just take a single data point - Trump's appearance(s) on InfoWars and the frequent appearances by inner circle bad guy Roger Stone. That data point alone ought to alert you how abnormal and how dangerous this guy is.
blatham

Fri 30 Dec, 2016 06:53 am
Yesterday I noted this statement from Trump and challenged anyone to make coherent sense of it
Quote:
“I think we ought to get on with our lives. I think that computers have complicated lives very greatly. The whole age of computer has made it where nobody knows exactly what is going on. We have speed, we have a lot of other things, but I’m not sure we have the kind, the security we need.”
Leaving aside the shallowness of his understanding, it is that last bit "but I'm not sure..." which immediately invalidates everything else he said.

Then comes this:
Quote:
President-elect Donald J. Trump edged away on Thursday from his dismissive stance on American assessments of Russian hacking, saying he would meet with intelligence officials next week “to be updated on the facts” after the Obama administration announced sanctions against Moscow.

In a brief written statement, Mr. Trump’s first response to President Obama’s sweeping action against Russia, the president-elect reiterated his call for “our country to move on to bigger and better things.” But he said that, “in the interest of our country and its great people,” he would get the briefing “nevertheless.”
LINK

Only now he gets around to this?! WTF. But the most bogglingly ridiculous part is his repetition of "need to move on" followed by his declaration of taking on the high responsibility of getting briefed in the interests of the country and citizens. He's going to sacrifice some time, you see.

blatham

Fri 30 Dec, 2016 07:00 am
Russia's recruitment of elite hackers
Quote:
Aleksandr B. Vyarya thought his job was to defend people from cyberattacks until, he says, his government approached him with a request to do the opposite.

Mr. Vyarya, 33, a bearded, bespectacled computer programmer who thwarted hackers, said he was suddenly being asked to join a sweeping overhaul of the Russian military last year. Under a new doctrine, the nation’s generals were redefining war as more than a contest of steel and gunpowder, making cyberwarfare a central tenet in expanding the Kremlin’s interests.
LINK
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 30 Dec, 2016 07:02 am
Quote:
Following the Links From Russian
Hackers to the U.S. Election
LINK
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 30 Dec, 2016 07:04 am
Quote:
Report on Russian Hacking
The F.B.I. and Department of Homeland Security released a report on Thursday detailing the ways that Russia acted to influence the American election through cyberespionage.
LINK
0 Replies

Frugal1

Fri 30 Dec, 2016 07:09 am
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C0x6B80XAAAyhm5.jpg:large
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 30 Dec, 2016 07:24 am
Now, watch what happens after this morning's news
Quote:
In a head-spinning turn of events on Friday, President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia announced that he would not retaliate against the United States’ expulsion of Russian diplomats and new sanctions — hours after his foreign minister recommended doing just that.

Mr. Putin, apparently betting on improved relations with the next American president, said he would not eject 35 diplomats or close any diplomatic facilities, a proposed tit-for-tat response to actions taken by the Obama administration a day earlier.
LINK

So the question is, how will Trump and his allies react to his news? Anybody care to make a guess? Here's mine:

The thrust will be that even in the face of Obama being unforgivably rude to Russia, under the forward-looking and relatively sane and benign leadership of Putin, the Russians will ignore this childish rudeness and react like the adults they (and Trump) are.
0 Replies

Frugal1

Fri 30 Dec, 2016 07:38 am
0bama's childish attempt to piss off Putin has failed.

‘We won’t send anyone away’: Putin declines to retaliate against Obama’s expulsion of Russian diplomats
0 Replies

Frugal1

Fri 30 Dec, 2016 07:40 am
"Obama is like a tenant who has been evicted from a property, and he's going to trash the place on the way out" ~ @SheriffClarke
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 30 Dec, 2016 07:46 am
Further on the Israel/settlements issue:

The Times has a good piece up on this now. I'll quote some important parts but read the whole thing.
Quote:
American Jews Divided Over Strain in US-Israel Relations
...Yet the most influential and vocal organizations that represent Jews in Washington tend to be more conservative and supportive of Mr. Netanyahu, who has had a combative relationship with Mr. Obama, and has made little secret of his happiness over the changing of the guard that is about to take place in Washington.

...“These days the right wing has a louder voice in Israel, and, in some ways, it also has a louder voice in America, because the people who are most actively and publicly Jewish, sectarian Jewish, share the right wing point of view, and are very pro-settlement,” said Samuel Heilman, a sociology professor of at Queens College specializing in Jewish life. “But it’s not the mainstream point of view.”

Steven M. Cohen, a research professor at Hebrew Union College and a consultant to a recent Pew study of American Jews, said that Mr. Kerry’s speech represents the viewpoints of most American Jews. “On survey after survey, American Jews are opposed to Jewish settlement expansion. They tend to favor a two-state solution and their political identities are liberal or moderate,” he said.

...Steven M. Cohen, a research professor at Hebrew Union College and a consultant to a recent Pew study of American Jews, said that Mr. Kerry’s speech represents the viewpoints of most American Jews. “On survey after survey, American Jews are opposed to Jewish settlement expansion. They tend to favor a two-state solution and their political identities are liberal or moderate,” he said.
LINK

It's important to understand these two facets. On the one hand, the powerful and wealthy AIPAC lobby has had undue influence in Washington for a long time Mearsheimer and Walt and they aren't the only such lobbying activity. As stated above, they maintain a very loud voice (particularly in US right wing media but more broadly than that) which is, on the other hand, not representative of Jewish opinion here or in Israel.

(side note: in the last election, Jewish citizens voted as they traditionally do, 71% for Clinton and 24% for Trump)

Frugal1

Fri 30 Dec, 2016 07:48 am

Here's why the Israeli border expansion complaints are BS

https://www.conservativereview.com/commentary/2016/12/rep-duncan-heres-why-the-israeli-border-expansion-complaints-are-bs
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 30 Dec, 2016 08:32 am
This is the coolest idea I've bumped into in a long while!
Quote:
Anita Foeman’s students had just gotten the results from their genetic tests, and they couldn’t wait to talk.

One said her dad cheered when she told him she has Zulu roots. A girl with curly red hair said her family always gathers around a Nativity scene on Christmas Eve and sings carols over the baby Jesus, and this year, after learning that she’s 1 percent Jewish, she said: “We’re going to sing the dreidel song!”

When a white student said that 1 percent of his ancestry was African, two black students sitting next to him gave him a fist bump and said: “Yes! Brother.”

[‘I honestly thought of myself as simply American': DNA testing shocks college students]

“Some people have never had a happy conversation about race,” Foeman said. But in her class at West Chester University, there’s laughter. Eagerness. And easy connections where there might have been chasms. “Our differences are fascinating,” she said.

At a time when tensions over race and politics are so raw, the stakes, Foeman said, seem particularly high. Her students have been talking all fall about riots, building walls, terrorist attacks, immigration, the election. “You can feel it buzzing around the halls like electricity,” Foeman said.

Asking people to take DNA tests — an idea that has spread to a campuswide effort at this public university — grew out of consulting work Foeman does in race mediation. Instead of a confrontational approach, trying to provoke people into recognizing their own biases, she wanted something that would pull people together, or at least give them a neutral place from which to start to talk. And with racial divides so stark, she wanted to add some nuance and depth.
Read about it here

And it has led me to this idea.

Why don't we, "we" being all of us who contribute to this topic, do the same thing. Why don't we each get our DNA tested and then talk about what results turn up and how they match or do not match our families' stories and our personal notions/hopes/prejudices?

I'm very serious about this. Why don't we do this? All of us? And we can include anyone on A2K who'd be interested.

There would be some logistics issues: what service to use, where to discuss once results back (a separate discussion thread should suffice), perhaps setting up a general fund assisting those who can't afford the cost, etc. But we've got talented people on board and I'm sure we could do this.

What do you guys/ladies think?

Let me start a discussion thread right now on this (rather than have it here on this one) and I'll link it in a second. I'd really like to see everyone join in the project (and on that new thread, I won't have anyone on ignore so I can see what you each think, etc) OK, done, here's the link. http://able2know.org/topic/360655-1
0 Replies