monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Walter Hinteler

Tue 14 Nov, 2017 10:02 am
@Lash,
Quote:
To make up for the loss of security guards axed in the Russian-mandated staff cuts, Washington has hired a private Russian company that grew out of a security business co-founded by Mr. Putin’s former K.G.B. boss, an 82-year-old veteran spy who spent 25 years planting agents in Western security services and hunting down their operatives.

Under a $2.8 million no-bid contract awarded by the Office of Acquisitions in Washington, security guards at the American Embassy in Moscow and at consulates in St. Petersburg, Yekaterinburg and Vladivostok will be provided by Elite Security Holdings, a company closely linked to the former top K.G.B. figure, Viktor G. Budanov, a retired general who rose through the ranks to become head of Soviet counterintelligence.

NYT: U.S. Hires Company With K.G.B. Link to Guard Moscow Embassy
Lash

Tue 14 Nov, 2017 10:08 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

I guess I used it wrong too. Embarrassed

Oh! It’s perfectly ok when you do THE EXACT SAME THING.

Apropos this thread.

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Tue 14 Nov, 2017 10:09 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
When asked previously about whether he believed surrogates from the Trump campaign had communications with the Russians, Sessions said, “I did not, and I’m not aware of anyone else that did, and I don’t believe it happened.”

Now, speaking before the House Judiciary Committee, Sessions said he recalled a March 2016 meeting with Trump campaign foreign policy adviser George Papadopoulos. Papadopoulos, in pleading guilty to lying to FBI agents, has admitted he told Trump and a group of other campaign officials, including Sessions, that he had contacts who could help arrange a meeting between Trump and Putin.

“I do now recall the March 2016 meeting at Trump Hotel that Mr. Papadopoulos attended, but I have no clear recollection of the details of what he said at that meeting,” Sessions said. “After reading his account, and to the best of my recollection, I believe that I wanted to make clear to him that he was not authorized to represent the campaign with the Russian government, or any other foreign government, for that matter. But I did not recall this event, which occurred 18 months before my testimony of a few weeks ago, and I would gladly have reported it had I remembered it because I pushed back against his suggestion that I thought may have been improper.”

Sessions clarified later that he recalled Papadopoulos made “some comment” about a Trump-Putin meeting, and he “pushed back.”

WaPo: Sessions says he ‘always told the truth’ in describing Russia contacts
blatham

Tue 14 Nov, 2017 11:33 am
@Setanta,
I do understand, Set. And the present circumstance of a Trump Whitehouse, along with the broad right wing attempts to do exactly what you say, underlines the need for focus on Trump. Lash's trolling here is, to my mind, the prime example. But it is a common feature of right wing participants' contributions because of their media/information diet.

Before I began this thread, I saw myself, personally, as having two options - to fall into despair, apathy and non-engagement or to keep attending to things and to maintain a running record and discussion on this new political situation. But at the same time, I wanted to avoid some age-old tendencies towards pissing contests and intellectual carelessness. I sought to make this thread a place where folks could join in on the theme but I also hoped to make it a place where people would want to come and participate. So, I thought some resiliency in tone (humor desirable, for example) and in content would make participation more fun.

But threads tend to evolve and take on a life of their own. For the most part, a bunch of others participating have goals similar to mine and we've had a ton of relevant posts, either thought/argument pieces or links to quality information and commentary. Of course, as always, we're beset by the unusual suspects (I'll say!) I have most of them on ignore because I see no value in attending to them and certainly find that engaging them is rather like spreading manure across everyone's lawn. It's **** I can't influence other than through reminders now and again.

All that said, let me add that this place would not have been as compelling and fun if you weren't part of it.
blatham

Tue 14 Nov, 2017 11:44 am
Yesterday, someone linked Michelle Goldberg's piece "I believe Juanita" If you haven't read it, do so. It's very bright. NYT
thack45

Tue 14 Nov, 2017 12:28 pm
@blatham,
Speaking of "running records" ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2017/11/14/president-trump-has-made-1628-false-or-misleading-claims-over-298-days/?utm_term=.f0707dca0bec
blatham

Tue 14 Nov, 2017 02:01 pm
@thack45,
Isn't that a frightening piece of data.
farmerman

Tue 14 Nov, 2017 02:12 pm
@blatham,
thats about half a dozen a day. "Lies by the DOZEN J. Trump"
revelette1

Tue 14 Nov, 2017 02:29 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
I do now recall the March 2016 meeting at Trump Hotel that Mr. Papadopoulos attended, but I have no clear recollection of the details of what he said at that meeting,” Sessions said. “After reading his account, and to the best of my recollection, I believe that I wanted to make clear to him that he was not authorized to represent the campaign with the Russian government, or any other foreign government, for that matter. But I did not recall this event, which occurred 18 months before my testimony of a few weeks ago, and I would gladly have reported it had I remembered it because I pushed back against his suggestion that I thought may have been improper.”

I know right? I mean he says he don't recall it, yet he says he rejected it. That little ditty might make it on SNL or some such show.
farmerman

Tue 14 Nov, 2017 04:48 pm
@revelette1,
when Plumpitty does away with congress, makes himself "Leader for Life" Rounds up all journalists and CNN celebs (he will lave Fox Celebs alone since they are paid shills), then he will start collecting names and addresses of all of you who disobey his wishes. Then your trouble will rally begin.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 14 Nov, 2017 04:52 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
find that engaging them is rather like spreading manure across everyone's lawn.

I was really taken with your turn of phrase here ... then realized it doesn't say 'grenading manure across everyone's lawn'.

ossobucotemp

Tue 14 Nov, 2017 05:00 pm
@ehBeth,
I'd post you up if I could, Beth. One of the elements of the present desultory exploration by me w/ the old computer is that I can't post a comment up or down.
This is probably pleasant for some... some being different from each other. Some find the whole up/down thing annoying, some are vigorous clickers one way or another.
Builder

Tue 14 Nov, 2017 05:07 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I post her up, as well as Lash. It's a childish mind that likes to thumb someone down for personal reasons.

Here's a video for those on the left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWmiZ-uWcfM
ossobucotemp

Tue 14 Nov, 2017 05:29 pm
@Builder,
Luckily, lefty me can't see videos. I'm in rest phase re a new old iMac until the house insurance thing passes in January.

I'm not a prolific downthumber, up or nothing, but I admit to pissed off downing on occasion. Those folks usually go into erasureville, where rubbery substances abound (kidding, kidding).
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Tue 14 Nov, 2017 05:56 pm
@Builder,
That's nice. I know Lash personally. We used to argue but sort of like each other.

We had met when a bunch of a2kers gathered at Dys and Diane's house.
She came to my house. We were sort of wary of each other before, but I liked her.

Years later some fellow on line was caustic to her view, called her some stuff.
I supported her, that she meant what she said, wasn't fibbing. Don't remember the words. Not that I agreed, which I didn't, but that she was sincere. I explained that I knew her, how I did, and essentially that she wasn't fooling.

Then heaven fell, as she reported me to the mods for telling personal stuff.
The mods did not scour me, didn't hear from them.

Builder

Tue 14 Nov, 2017 07:20 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Interesting. People here often take me the completely wrong way.

It's the pitfalls of online talk, I guess.

What really grinds my gears, is outright hypocrisy in a person.
0 Replies

Builder

Tue 14 Nov, 2017 07:48 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
thats about half a dozen a day. "Lies by the DOZEN J. Trump"

It appears that he rarely, if ever, uses a speech writer, or cue cards.

farmerman

Tue 14 Nov, 2017 08:27 pm
@Builder,
Plump is the principle purveyor of presidential perfidy.
Builder

Tue 14 Nov, 2017 08:35 pm
@farmerman,
Ah, yes! But I like that he's totally unscripted. The last guy had cue cards for everything.

From memory, his opponent even wanted the answers to the "debate" questions given to her. Gotta play fair, ya know?
Setanta

Tue 14 Nov, 2017 09:12 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Uhm, the appropriate word, Jeffy, is improper, it is illegal.
0 Replies