monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Wed 28 Dec, 2016 06:18 pm
@blatham,
OK, so here's some good reporting on the earlier question re what Rubio was up to in his ridiculous argument re Israel and the UN abstention
Quote:
Inside the coming war between the United States and the United Nations
LINK

PS... Tom Cotton comes up here. Keep an eye on him as he's the neoconservatives great white hope.
PPS... along with Liz Cheney, that is.
0 Replies

Blickers

Wed 28 Dec, 2016 06:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote cicerone:
Quote:
Unfortunately, the incarceration rates includes possession of drugs, which in some states are now legal.

Bill Clinton didn't start the drug war. He only inherited a situation that was so out of control that whole sections of cities were virtual war zones. We had a local news broadcast in that time frame where a gang actually had a "patrolman" armed with a military type rifle going up and down the block in a city not far from here. The "patrolman" looked to be about 14. Now if someone wanted to work hard and get him/herself out of poverty and make something of themselves, how are they supposed to do it if their very life is in peril every time they walk down the block they live on? It was at night-what about night workers or students studying who come home after 5 pm in the wintertime? Look what they had to face.

Now I don't mean this to be directed at you, but I'm tired of the Clinton critics who constantly criticize a solution-or part of a solution-that actually worked when there were no other solutions on the table at the time. Clinton couldn't make marijuana legal on his own-in the 1990s he had no chance. Twenty years later there are still only a few states where it is legal, and the process is taking over a decade. Clinton had to take action right then, and he did. Gangs were going after people in the housing projects, and when they came to their apartment they just shot through the locked front door 20 times or more. Since the living room is on the other side of the front door in all these apartments, women and babies were getting killed in this manner every week. It was madness, and getting worse.

Fact is, Clinton got the job done. The skyrocketing murder rate was turned into a 37% decline in murder victims, his policies got more minorities into college than ever before-college grads don't usually commit street crimes-and Full Time jobs were made plentiful for everyone, especially Arican-Americans who got the new Full Time jobs at almost twice the rate of the general population. His critics continue to complain either because they never researched what violence was like in the early 90s, or they just prefer to ignore the truth. Overall, Clinton did a great job with a situation nobody could seem to do anything about.

0 Replies

blatham

Wed 28 Dec, 2016 06:32 pm
Of course Putin is getting in on the "fake news" device
Quote:
It’s been less than a week since Syrian Prime Minister Bashar al-Assad thanked Russian President Vladimir Putin for helping “liberate Aleppo.” But that isn’t stopping Russian propagandists—and their allies on the American fringe—from denying that civilians were bombed there at all.

Both Kremlin-backed networks and American far right websites have adopted and deployed the Western buzzword “fake news” for the very real bombings in Aleppo. Worse, they’re dubbing private American citizens “professional propagandists” for starting fundraisers in support of afflicted Syrian civilians.

Aleppo has been the home of a forced evacuation over the past several weeks—leaving traditional Western media reporters unable to gain firsthand access to the atrocities. But reports from nonpartisan, international human rights groups and videos from the scene show bombed-out buildings and dead civilians in the streets.
LINK
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 28 Dec, 2016 06:54 pm
Quote:
People wondering why Republicans are so hell-bent on repealing Obamacare even though that would cost 20 million Americans their health insurance haven’t been heeding the old investigator’s maxim to “follow the money.”

The path leads to the Affordable Care Act’s tax provisions, and the discovery that repeal would provide the wealthiest taxpayers with an immediate tax cut totaling $346 billion over 10 years. Every cent of that would go to taxpayers earning more than $200,000 a year ($250,000 for couples). As Nicholas Bagley of the University of Michigan observed a few days after the election, the imperative of handing their wealthy patrons a gift of this magnitude may well outweigh their solicitude for the mostly middle- and low-income constituents whose individual insurance plans would be at risk from repeal.

“However ambivalent Republicans may be about health reform,” he wrote, “they are not at all ambivalent about big tax cuts to the wealthy.”
LINK
I'd add another big consideration in this mix. In '93 Bill Kristol wrote a memo describing why he thought Hillarycare must be destroyed and why:
Quote:
"It will relegitimize middle-class dependence for 'security' on government spending and regulation. It will revive the reputation of the party that spends and regulates, the Democrats, as the generous protector of middle-class interests. And it will at the same time strike a punishing blow against Republican claims to defend the middle class by restraining government."
LINK Note that what is implicit in Kristol's reasoning here is that Americans would approve of the program, would like its benefits to them and family and understand that their lives could be made better through a government program. That is what Kristol wanted to make sure didn't happen. If you read the full memo (linked in the Vox piece) you'll also see that Kristol was very concerned that this would damage GOP electoral hopes for a long while.
0 Replies

giujohn

Wed 28 Dec, 2016 08:59 pm

TRUMP TRANSITION
Trump announces 8,000 more jobs for American workers
Published December 28, 2016
FoxNews.com
Facebook

President-elect Donald Trump announced Wednesday the addition of roughly 8,000 new jobs for Americans, including 5,000 that telecommunications giant Sprint will bring from “all around the world.”

“They’re coming back to the United States, which is a nice change,” he said.

Trump, who takes office January 20, said the other 3,000 jobs will be hires from a new company called One Web.

Trump was elected in part on the promise to return to the United States jobs that American companies had moved overseas, in search of cheaper labor costs.

Last month, he announced that Carrier would keep roughly 1,000 jobs in Indiana, after months of criticizing the air-conditioning corporation on the campaign trail for plans to move the jobs to Mexico.

Trump spoke Wednesday from his Mar a Largo estate in Palm Beach, Florida.

The wealthy businessman-turned politician also said he had a “nice” and “general” conversation earlier in the day with outgoing President Obama.

Trump opposed the Obama administration’s move last week to allow the United Nations to pass a resolution condemning Israel for building more settlements in the disputed West Bank.

He said Secretary of State John Kerry’s speech earlier Wednesday defending the administration’s U.N. decision “spoke for itself.”

Trump, who in recent days has been especially critical of the U.N., also said that the international body “has tremendous potential but is not living up to itself.”

Trump added he had help on the jobs deals from several people including Massayoshi Son, the chief executive officer for SoftBank of Japan, which owns Sprint.

Trump has had previous business dealings with Son, whom he described on Wednesday as a “terrific guy.
blatham

Wed 28 Dec, 2016 09:01 pm
All you right wing guys are pissed off at me because I look like a Disney prince and you don't.
reasoning logic

Wed 28 Dec, 2016 09:11 pm
@blatham,
Aladdin?
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 28 Dec, 2016 09:43 pm
Politically incorrect, an example:

On sunday morning, a man takes a seat on the pew completely naked but for, out of an understandable modesty, each nipple concealed behind a Limited Edition Franklin Mint thimble.

0 Replies

blatham

Wed 28 Dec, 2016 11:17 pm
Politically incorrect joke generator:

Begin with the following, then just fill in the blank.

Last week, an Australian man climbed up a step-ladder and took **** on ...

Here's an example:

Last week, an Australian man climbed up a step-ladder and took a **** on the Liberty Bell.

Here's another:

Last week, an Australian man climbed up a step-ladder and took a **** on Mother Teresa's mausoleum.

Or "his mother in law", etc etc

Free to you from me.
blatham
roger

Wed 28 Dec, 2016 11:53 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Sorry roger. Not sure what you mean there.

I was being sarcastic but haven't really mastered the form.

I think you pointed out we (US) were the only UN member that didn't actually vote against Israel on the settlement issue. My reply was supposed to be a big "So What?"
blatham

Thu 29 Dec, 2016 12:14 am
@roger,
Quote:
My reply was supposed to be a big "So What?"

I thought it might be (so only a 1/2 fail on mastery)

But it's not so limited as to the indictment of Israel's settlement policies. As I said, there's not a single nation I know of which stands in support of those policies and this vote. Even many Israelis are not in support of the policies.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 29 Dec, 2016 07:02 am
Excellent editorial at NYT this morning on the Israel settlement matter.
LINK
blatham

Thu 29 Dec, 2016 07:23 am
Quote:
While Mr. Tillerson’s Exxon has stopped funding several groups that loudly denied climate science, it still funds organizations that pursue a broader agenda of fighting measures to address climate change, including carbon taxes.

Naomi Oreskes, a Harvard historian, said the positions held by the company and Mr. Tillerson still constitute climate denial, but in a “clever and sophisticated” form. “It is, in my view, what makes it more concerning,” she said, “because many people don’t scratch the surface to see what lies beneath.
LINK

Companies the size of Exxon invest many millions in PR and can obviously afford to buy the services of the best marketing agencies and to run extensive PR campaigns and lobbying efforts. And they do. And as their corporate ethos holds that their prime moral responsibility is to gain profit for shareholders, what they say about real intentions/plans has to be regarded with deep skepticism.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 29 Dec, 2016 07:53 am
Quote:
Trump, appearing at his Mar-a-Lago estate in Palm Beach, Fla., was asked what he thought about the Obama administration’s plans to sanction Russia for what U.S. intelligence officials say was state-sanctioned hacking of Democratic organizations, the targeting of state election systems and meddling in the U.S. presidential election.

“I think we ought to get on with our lives,” Trump said. “I think that computers have complicated lives very greatly. The whole age of the computer has made it where nobody knows exactly what’s going on. We have speed, we have a lot of other things, but I'm not sure we have the kind of security we
need.”
LINK
Reading tip: don't try to make sense of this.
Leadfoot

Thu 29 Dec, 2016 08:01 am
@blatham,
You gotta admit, the man has a talent for Omnibabble
revelette1

Thu 29 Dec, 2016 08:08 am
@blatham,
I was really struck by this paragraph, it is the truth.

Quote:
Supporters of Mr. Netanyahu argue that Mr. Obama has now only inflamed the Israeli right and encouraged more settlement-building, as if this Israeli government would otherwise show restraint. This is the cynical logic of the settlement movement: When the world is silent, Israel can build settlements; when the world objects, Israel must build settlements. Under any scenario, settlements will grow, and the possibility of a two-state solution will recede.
blatham

Thu 29 Dec, 2016 08:28 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
You gotta admit, the man has a talent for Omnibabble

He has the gifts of the con man/promoter (standing beside him when he made that comment was boxing promoter and buddy, Don King, which I find most perfect) and he almost never knows what the hell he's talking about. It's quite a combination.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 29 Dec, 2016 08:30 am
@revelette1,
Yes. That is the key paragraph and it is the truth.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 29 Dec, 2016 08:39 am
Quote:
Trump also fired back against questions about potential conflicts of interest over his sprawling business empire, faulting the media for turning it into an issue.

“It is not a big deal,” he said. “You people are making that a big deal, the business.”
LINK

Like the Russian hacking. Nothing important in any of this. It's just the liberal media who hardly said anything about the landslide victory and the incredible, huge, amazing response from patriots during his victory tour. Unfair!
0 Replies

georgeob1

Thu 29 Dec, 2016 09:43 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
I take it that worse even than epistemological stupidity in your pretentious lexicon.

george
Increasingly, you're having trouble responding to a post of mine without insulting me personally. I'm not going to play that game with you. Where you write something here that avoids this, I'll continue reading it.

There was no insult: merely an appropriate response to your comments on obviously deceptive propaganda you pasted here.

You pasted an article by Ben Chait suggesting the epitaph of the Trump presidency may be in hand, citing an article written by Lawrence Kudlow which in response to criticism of the wealth of Trump prospective appointees Kudlow supported the ideas of appointing successful people, noting that "Wealthy folks have no need to steal or engage in corruption" . which Ben Chait quickly used to create a straw man - that the wealthy cannot be corrupt - and attacks that in a very deceptive journalistic sleight of hand that you evidently bought yourseldf, or failed to detect.

You failed to note the obvious deception and merely pasted the propaganda piece here to add a little New York luster to your prejudices.

I see now that the use of the word, trsanscendent, came first from Kudlow and then Chait. I failed to note that on my first reading, and thought instead it was merely more of your word dropping. I was wrong in that.