monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

hightor

Sat 11 Nov, 2017 06:28 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
The campaign against Whitlam (...)

If I recall, Murdoch had his dirty hands in this. It might have been his debut.
ossobucotemp

Sat 11 Nov, 2017 06:29 pm
@BillW,
I used to listen to Hewett, in memory mostly disagreeing. I remember him as smart, agreeing or not agreeing.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sat 11 Nov, 2017 06:32 pm
@hightor,
It's probably not a big political jump from Air America to Murdoch.

Air America had some dirty dirty hands. We met one of the guys involved when we visited with a friend from Abuzz/A2k. Odd all round.
hightor

Sat 11 Nov, 2017 07:14 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
Reminiscent of the way democrats try to shield Bill Clinton from accountability for his rapes and sexual assaults.

Reminiscent of Judaeo-Christian-Muslim culture and misogynist currents in many other other religious traditions.
Quote:
Hopefully, he’ll be brought to account for it during the current purge.

Wasn't he already "brought to account"? You don't really envision him being led off to prison in handcuffs do you?
hightor

Sat 11 Nov, 2017 07:18 pm
@ehBeth,
Rupert Murdoch ordered editors to 'kill Whitlam', according to US envoy
Lash

Sat 11 Nov, 2017 07:33 pm
@hightor,
Rape is illegal. Yes, I expect him to be punished for what he did.

Either rape is illegal or it’s not.

I don’t think people with money and power should get away with preying on the rest of us.
Setanta

Sat 11 Nov, 2017 08:41 pm
@hightor,
About that, I don't know--but the CIA's money went to support an all-out press campaign against Whitlam, so that's very plausible.
Setanta

Sat 11 Nov, 2017 08:51 pm
@hightor,
Thanks--I'm not at all surprised.

On the subject of the 1953 Iranian coup, it wasn't Britain's oil. They had a concession, negotiated by the Anglo-Persian Oil company. It was re-negotiated in 1933. Mossadegh was the democratically elected, constitutional Prime Minister of Iran, and well within his legal rights to pass a measure for the dissolution of parliament, which was overwhelmingly approved by areferendum the electorate of Iran. Three days later, the Brits, with CIA backing, launched the coup d'etat which overthrew Mossadegh. Muslim clerics had nothing to do with it. It was already known that Mossadegh intended to nationalize the petroleum industry in Iran.
BillW

Sat 11 Nov, 2017 10:12 pm
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:

I'm so glad neither my wife nor I grew up in Alabama. Or Mississippi, Georgia, North Caroline, etc., for that matter.

I have faith wm, I would never have been one of "them". My wife comes from a massively racist Louisiana Republican family. When we meet she said she was republican. I took her words, wants, and desires and showed her how she definitely wasn't Republican. She, of course, saw the light!
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Sat 11 Nov, 2017 10:52 pm
@Lash,
I gave you a thumbs up, Lash.
0 Replies

Builder

Sat 11 Nov, 2017 11:09 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
...the CIA's money went to support an all-out press campaign against Whitlam,...

I remember something about him wanting to close Pine Gap and Exmouth.

Quote:
Gough Whitlam ordered ASIO to stop talking to its US counterparts, the CIA, in the turbulent period leading up to the dismissal of his Labor government in 1975.

The incident is revealed in the second officially sanctioned volume of the history of ASIO, which covers the years 1963-1975.

source
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Sat 11 Nov, 2017 11:09 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
I don’t think people with money and power should get away with preying on the rest of us.

Needless to say, I agree with you completely.

This social problem is more widespread than many people would be willing to believe, and sometimes the victims are male. The words "Penn State" should ring a bell, for example. At the time of the scandal, one of Sandusky's victims was a senior in high school. Once he was outed by his high-school coach, the grandmother of one of the Penn State football players walked up to the victim's mother and told her, "Now my grandson's football team is going to lose, and it's all your son's fault!" The victim was so badly bullied by classmates who blamed him for Paterno's firing that he quit the school before he could graduate. If Franco Harris had stopped whining over the firing of Paterno long enough to make a public appearance at the high school to plead with the victim's classmates to stop bullying him, that would have accomplished a great deal as a noble act of compassion. But, no, he was too busy whining about "JoPa" to help a victim who was being cruelly victimized again.

I know this has nothing to do with politics, but it burns me to this day. The mistreatment of rape victims (male and female) extends far beyond the realm of our conniving, hypocritical politicians.

By the way, I have a personal reason for being concerned (and angry) about rapists: On two separate occasions my sister was nearly raped.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sun 12 Nov, 2017 12:17 am
Trump has once again changed its position on the issue of Russian influence over the US election.
At a press conference in Hanoi with Vietnam's President Tran Quai Dang, Trump said he is "with our agencies" in the intelligence community regarding the question of whether Russia meddled in the 2016 election.

Trump sides with U.S. intelligence agencies on Russian meddling
glitterbag

Sun 12 Nov, 2017 12:37 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Ive been reading these pop-ups from US news sources to mr. glitterbag. He starts to laugh at the absurdity of the Trump bullshit but that sense of news noir frightens the living crap out of us. I cannot fathom what is happening in our country.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sun 12 Nov, 2017 05:42 am
Quote:
President Donald Trump has again traded barbs with North Korea, shortly before offering to mediate in a heated regional dispute.

He took to Twitter to complain he would never call North Korean leader Kim Jong-un "short and fat", after its foreign ministry called him "old".

It was one of a series of remarks he made on social media before volunteering his services over maritime claims in the South China Sea.
"I'm a very good mediator," he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41958553<br />
Setanta

Sun 12 Nov, 2017 05:50 am
Ha! This is school yard stuff. "I wouldn't call you stupid and ugly." What a maroon.

By the way, if no one else had the civility to do so, I thank you for your efforts to present more readable texts for us.
izzythepush

Sun 12 Nov, 2017 05:54 am
@Setanta,
Thank you, nobody else has.
oralloy

Sun 12 Nov, 2017 06:12 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
On the subject of the 1953 Iranian coup, it wasn't Britain's oil.

Yes it is (note: present tense). The UK are the ones who devoted massive time and expense to developing Iran's oil industry, in exchange for an agreement for a fair share of the oil produced.

Setanta wrote:
Mossadegh was the democratically elected, constitutional Prime Minister of Iran, and well within his legal rights to pass a measure for the dissolution of parliament, which was overwhelmingly approved by a referendum the electorate of Iran.

That didn't give him the right to steal the UK's oil.

Setanta wrote:
Muslim clerics had nothing to do with it.

That is incorrect. Muslim clerics (the same ones who rule Iran today) objected to Mossadegh and were the driving force behind the coup against him. The coup wouldn't have been possible without the support of the clerics. And because of the clerics' support, the coup would have taken place even without outside support from the US and/or UK.

The US in particular tried to mediate and avoid the necessity of the coup (much like we tried later to use our influence to blunt the savagery of SAVAK). We only got behind the coup at the last moment when it was clear that the coup was going to happen with or without us.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 12 Nov, 2017 06:46 am
Now who in hell wouldn't be optimistic about this?
Quote:
Trump Team Begins Drafting Middle East Peace Plan
blatham

Sun 12 Nov, 2017 06:48 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
with one exception ... those are non-white and/or non-male
You're right. And that didn't even occur to me.
0 Replies