monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Cycloptichorn

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 02:56 pm
@BillW,
BillW wrote:

BTW, I think we would be better served if the moderate/centrist middle pulled out of both parties, combining into a new, more powerful, winning party! I could care less what the two, destructive extreme arms of each party does. The new party could easily, by itself, be 50% of the population?

Centrism is boring. You end up being this guy:

Cycloptichorn
BillW

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 03:02 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Sorry Cyclo, but that is not a Centrist. We don't want war and we don't want free everything, equality is strength! But it has to be earned.....
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 03:17 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
A few days without a toad?

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTSex3PsRKfM8uMOIbO6RBqeuq14E4Q2BwsMiGca6Xd9lgTdXwp
BillW

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 03:18 pm
Back to Russia, best proof things are going against tRump? Timelines, everything is lining up in a nice neat order against him.

Why is tRump implicated? RICO, Mueller will prove that tRump's businesses are a criminal organization, which will prove his campaign was a criminal organization, which will prove his administration is a criminal organization. This is linked because his stupidity was to place his crime family and actual family (who are many of the criminals) in all three. What happens in RICO cases, the king pin falls. That is why they created the laws to begin with. FBI couldn't get anything on the kingpin, but they could prove everything about him is criminal family, therefore, he must be guilty too.
0 Replies

BillW

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 03:28 pm
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
A few days without a toad?

I'd rather be a toad which is someone's disillusioned hyperbolic imagination that a really true White Supremacist. I would kill myself first! Every apologist of a White Supremacist is a White Supremacist themself!
Cycloptichorn

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 03:45 pm
http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/358707-corker-knocks-trump-over-totally-inappropriate-justice-department

Quote:
Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) is firing back at President Trump over his push for the Justice Department to investigate Democrats and Hillary Clinton.

“President Trump's pressuring of the Justice Department and FBI to pursue cases against his adversaries and calling for punishment before trials take place are totally inappropriate," Corker said in a statement.

He added that the president's remarks "not only undermine our justice system but erode the American people’s confidence in our institutions.”

I don't agree with Corker on 'most anything but he has more balls than 9/10 elected Republicans these days, who seem content to let Trump absolutely destroy our societal norms and damage our country, while saying absolutely nothing negative about it out of fear.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 03:58 pm
@BillW,
Who called you a toad?

I notice you are quite willing to accept the designation but no one bestowed it.

I called you a "toad licker"

You've called me a "White Supremacist."

Irony doesn't seem to be your strong suit.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 04:27 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
we haven't fucked our environment anywhere nearly as bad as they have. Not even close.

neither Canada nor the US are making the massive turn-around on the environment that China is

https://futurism.com/paris-climate-agreement-goals/

Quote:
China’s efforts to cut their carbon emissions have been heavily responsible for the remarkable “decoupling” of emissions from economic growth—a relationship where, as the global economy grows, global carbon emissions do not grow with it.

it's embarrassing

they're also making pretty good movement on the universal health care (with private insurance layered on top) front.

Neighbours on both sides of us came here from China - all of their families are still there. Interesting to get updates from them in these areas.

__

this is a decent piece on the changes in China re the environment (probably should be another thread eh)

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/sep/10/my-job-is-to-clean-up-the-environment-china-really-wants-to-do-that

__

http://time.com/4810846/china-energy-climate-change-paris-agreement/

Cycloptichorn

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 04:29 pm
@ehBeth,
It's easy to have a big turnaround when you start in a giant hole. Any improvement looks great.

I'm glad they're working on the issue and taking it seriously, but let's not pretend the US is anywhere near as polluted. I'll say this, if they keep cleaning things up at the current rate, they'll pass us soon enough though

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 04:37 pm
Turns out there was language inserted in the House tax bill that defines an embryo as a 'human being' and grants them rights.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 04:40 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I'll disagree pretty strongly here. I think looking at the official opposition parties over past 25 years shows more than two significant parties.
It's a fair point though it is the case that the two parties I noted did dominate federally over the last 100 years or so.

But my point was slightly different. I wanted to describe how powerful mercantile interests (perhaps allied with some other interest groups) will inevitably organize around a viable party structure in order to influence policy. If the GOP somehow collapsed, a new creature much the same would almost certainly replace it.
0 Replies

BillW

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 04:42 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

It's easy to have a big turnaround when you start in a giant hole. Any improvement looks great.

I'm glad they're working on the issue and taking it seriously, but let's not pretend the US is anywhere near as polluted. I'll say this, if they keep cleaning things up at the current rate, they'll pass us soon enough though

Cycloptichorn

To add to this, regardless of tRump executive orders, a lot of Obama era actions are still being followed. Mainly because of large expenditure previously made to achieve goals, but still being done, and accomplishing positive results - as you mentioned!
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 04:52 pm
@Builder,
Builder wrote:
My posts are red, and yours are mauve. Answers in black.

Why do people do that? You're not the only one.

The normal quoting system works quite well. Untangling a post where each voice is designated by color is just a big headache.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 04:54 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I'll say this, if they keep cleaning things up at the current rate, they'll pass us soon enough though

my neighbours say that based on the photos from home they're seeing, they think it's going to happen just that way

a dance pal moved to Northern China about a year ago from northern British Columbia (about as pristine a location as there is). she claims to have seen a difference in China within the year.

when the Chinese take something on ... get outta the way
oralloy

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 04:56 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
You can actually set that aside permanently. Collusion is a crime.

It is only a crime if there is a statute forbidding it. There is no such statute.
BillW

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 04:56 pm
@ehBeth,
It would be nice if they would be a little more democratic over there! If I lived there I would at minimum be under house arrest.....
maporsche

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 04:58 pm
@ehBeth,
From what I understand they were quite embarrassed (rightfully) during the Olympics a few years back and the hub-bub around the pollution.

I wish America would get embarrassed about some of our issues.
blatham

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 04:59 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:
Well, this news is somewhat surprising.
Trump administration report: 'no convincing alternative explanation' for climate change (WP)
I'm surprised that they left the report basically untouched. My guess would be that they believe that right wing media will continue to behave as before (this report will not be covered on Fox or on talk radio or at a myriad of other such entities or if it is, the coverage will be overwhelmed by the standard tricks they use). And I expect this administration believes, with fair reason, that this report will be quickly forgotten.
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 05:00 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
The midterms are the focus, not the next presidential election. If Dems get a majority in congress and the senate, they can impeach and convict. A big if, sure, but still the midterms - not 2020.

There is no question that the average Democrat would happily convict an innocent person for political gain, but the notion that the Democrats would ever get enough seats to convict without Republican votes is a pipe dream.

Would they even get enough seats to convict if they won every single Senate race in 2018?
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 05:05 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
So this thread is exclusively dedicated to "hordes of progressives who scream helplessly at the sky to protest Donald Trump’s election", to paraphrase the LA Times. Got it.

Mostly yes. And also a platform for blatham to posture as an intellectual.
0 Replies