Finn dAbuzz

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 01:44 pm
@Olivier5,
I think you are a CPA from Connecticut (Or Germany or Russia). Very Happy
0 Replies

Olivier5

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 01:45 pm
@BillW,
And still, it's possible to have a two party system with some other parties than the same old same old. 1) One can thoroughly reform a party. 2) a new party can replace/displace an old one -- their are historical examples.
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 01:46 pm
@maporsche,
THREAD PURITY!!!
0 Replies

Olivier5

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 01:48 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Of course jobs can return. Not necessarily the exact same ones as before though. But tell me: was Obama right to invest heavily in the US automotive industry to preserve some of its jobs, or should he had let them die in a laissez-faire manner?
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 01:48 pm
@Olivier5,
And yet your fellow lefties did not. I thumbed you up for honesty. They thumbed you down for the same reason.
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 01:50 pm
@Olivier5,
Wow! You're persona non gratis among the blatham droogs

Don't worry, I'm here to thumb you up.
BillW

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 01:51 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Here we go--the constitution is entirely mute on the subject of political parties. It does not "favor" a party system of any type. In 1787, there were no political parties in the world, such as we would recognize. From 1800 to 1828, there was effectively only one party--the Democratic Republicans, generally referred to as the Republicans. The Democrats are lying through their teeth when they claim to be the party of Jefferson. It was Andrew Jackson who founded the Democratic Party, after he felt that he had been robbed of the 1824 election. It was a modern political party in every sense (except for gross amounts of cash).

Those who wish to comment on the constitution might read it every once in a while. Understanding the historical context of the adoption of the constitution wouldn't hurt, either.

The Constitution does not have to specifically state things to make it so, implied react is a direct causal effect of the Constitution:

Quote:
https://www.quora.com/profile/Marc-Bodnick

The two party system is not specified in the Constitution by name. However, it is a natural consequence of plurality voting, which is specified in the Constitution in several places. That is, the winner is the one who gets the most votes (a plurality)*.

This is a consequence of a principle called Duverger's Law: if the group with the most votes wins, then it behooves all losing parties to unify in an attempt to reach plurality. Given enough time (and it usually doesn't take long), you end up with two parties, a winner and a loser (who attempts to expand its coalition to become the winner).

Even when there are formally multiple parties, they are generally assembled into coalitions that nearly always vote together. Minority parties can persist, but they achieve little or nothing until they are wooed by one of the two majority parties in hopes of putting them over the top to achieve a plurality.

As long as the US Constitution works by plurality vote, you're going to tend to exactly two parties**. There are other systems available, such as proportional voting, but a Constitutional amendment (or convention!) would be required to implement them. (Well, I suppose you could do something wacky like the National Popular Vote Compact, though that's really a kind of back-door Constitutional convention.)
0 Replies

Olivier5

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 01:57 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
They hate to admit they were completely taken aback last November, and still haven't figure out what happened. But I believe that just heaping scorn at Trump -- deserved as it is -- makes us lefties feel good but won't win the next elections. Reforming the Democratic party will. It goes through self-criticism and soul searching. It's painful for some.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

@Olivier5,
Quote:
Likewise, don't forget that the US were built by slaves, historically.

So, yeah. You might want to brush up on your history a bit here pal, as the VAST majority of the US was not, in fact, built on slaves or the slave trade. At least a third of our country wasn't even part of our country until after slavery had been outlawed, and gigantic swathes of what existed at the time had nothing to do with slavery at all. This is an inaccurate statement, and that's being kind.

Quote:
In any case, the point was that having an industrial policy and protecting one's industries is not always a bad idea, as the cases of China, South Korea and to a lesser degree Europe exemplify.

Oh, this I agree with. But this doesn't mean that the people who are currently worried about jobs coming back to their small towns are going to see jobs come back. You agree with that, right? So it would be a lie to emulate Trump and promise them something that will never happen.

Cycloptichorn
Finn dAbuzz

@BillW,
Are you in 7th Grade? Thank Goodness for blatham!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 01:59 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Of course jobs can return. Not necessarily the exact same ones as before though. But tell me: was Obama right to invest heavily in the US automotive industry to preserve some of its jobs, or should he had let them die in a laissez-faire manner?

This is difficult to say, as it compares an actual event to a theoretical outcome. It would be wrong of me to boldly answer yes or no. That being the case, I tend to believe that Obama made the correct choice, for two reasons:

First, the downstream effects from a major auto manufacturer going under would put hundreds of thousands of people out of work who are in ancillary industries; this would have been a real blow at a time in which we were losing 500k+ jobs a month already.

Second, the overall price for doing so wasn't very high.

It's not a slam-dunk case though. You could make a strong argument that he should have let them go.

Cycloptichorn
BillW

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 02:01 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

And still, it's possible to have a two party system with some other parties than the same old same old. 1) One can thoroughly reform a party. 2) a new party can replace/displace an old one -- their are historical examples.

Obviously, the Republican Party did not start dominating until the 1980's. Why, the White Supremacist completed a move from the left wing of the democratic party to the Right Wing of the republican in that era. It started in 1948. It is sad to me that the swing vote in America has been the White Supremacist.

tRump is their first Presidential win and they are now trying to take down the government through Bannon. They better wake up fast, but I am afraid the death note of Capitalism has rung - MONEY! Jesus was right, money is the root of all evil and the bell of Revelations may have rung!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 02:02 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

And the topic, once again, tediously, is President Plump. The olive tree has been completely successful in derailing the thread. But never fear, Plump is going to Asia, and will provide much hilarity, and cause for alarm, I have no doubt.

Yes, very tediously!
0 Replies

BillW

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 02:02 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Put your thumb back up your butt!
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 02:03 pm
@maporsche,
OK - You get to stay a club member.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 02:05 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
You and your droogs seem compelled to believe that Dems and left-wingers are all about making the world a better place in which to live, while utterly ignoring all the evidence (current and past) that they are no such thing. Ideology has consumed your ability to observe and reason.

I can't speak for all of the Leftists in history, but I feel perfectly comfortable stating that the current aim of the Dem party is to make the world a better place to live for everyone. I think you'd be hard-pressed to show the opposite intentions.

Cycloptichorn
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 02:07 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Assumptions? I asked you if you were a CPA and you replied you were an accountant. If you are a Super Accountant, you should tell us.

The rest of it...Thanks...I think
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 02:08 pm
@Olivier5,
Sez the authentic Frog.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 02:09 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Smile

No, I knew exactly who I meant
0 Replies

BillW

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 02:09 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I agree with everything but the last sentence. You could make a weak argument and it was a slam dunk. Any other decision would have been irresponsible!

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Olivier5 wrote:

This is difficult to say, as it compares an actual event to a theoretical outcome. It would be wrong of me to boldly answer yes or no. That being the case, I tend to believe that Obama made the correct choice, for two reasons:

First, the downstream effects from a major auto manufacturer going under would put hundreds of thousands of people out of work who are in ancillary industries; this would have been a real blow at a time in which we were losing 500k+ jobs a month already.

Second, the overall price for doing so wasn't very high.

It's not a slam-dunk case though. You could make a strong argument that he should have let them go.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies