monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Olivier5

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 02:39 am
CNN's Jake Tapper: "Senator, do you agree with the notion that (the 2016 Democratic primary) was rigged?"

Sen. Elizabeth Warren: "Yes."

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/11/02/politics/elizabeth-warren-democratic-party/index.html
Builder

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 02:53 am
@Olivier5,
The anger about this is still palpable among the plebs.

This latest "revelation" by Donna Brazile will open old wounds, and cause fresh ones.
Olivier5

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 03:07 am
@Builder,
Putting these sort of things under the carpet is never a good option.
Builder

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 03:11 am
@Olivier5,
The truth will out, and that's reality.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 05:09 am
@Olivier5,
Nobody is saying to brush it under the carpet. This thread is about Trump. You can always start another thread about Clinton and alleged corruption in the Democrat party.

You're just playing the far right's game by taking the focus off Trump's disastrous presidency.
hightor

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 05:37 am
@Olivier5,
The specific definition of "rigged" in this context is critical.
Setanta

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 05:50 am
What Izzy said. Olive tree showed up at another, small discussion site while I was there, and he specifically stated that he comes on-line because he likes to argue. He really doesn't care about any issues here, he just wants to find someone to argue with.
Lash

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 06:01 am
Trump couldn’t have happened in a healthy political system. Refusing to talk about the broken system that allowed him to be elected is stupid.

People who shut down talk of the system that created a Trump are active elements of his election.
revelette1

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 06:22 am
@Olivier5,
Just like I don't think Russian interference influenced as many votes as to make much of a difference in the way people voted in the general election, likewise, if in fact the DNC rigged (Warren ended up supporting Clinton didn't she?) the primary to favor Clinton, it made too much of a difference in the way people voted. Bernie Sanders had plenty of air time, plenty of rallies, he got his message out. Some people were completely with him, others not as much but also not completely against him.
izzythepush

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 06:43 am
@Lash,
Start a thread on it then. This thread is about Trump, not talk about anything other than Trump.

Why don't you talk about his achievements?
0 Replies

snood

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 06:44 am
Rumors flying that Sessions is drafting a resignation letter.
revelette1

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 06:46 am
Quote:
WASHINGTON — Standing before reporters in February, President Trump said unequivocally that he knew of nobody from his campaign who was in contact with Russians during the election. Attorney General Jeff Sessions has told the Senate the same thing.

Court documents unsealed this week cast doubt on both statements and raised the possibility that Mr. Sessions could be called back to Congress for further questioning.

The special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, unsealed his first charges Monday in a wide-ranging investigation into Russian attempts to disrupt the presidential election and whether anyone close to Mr. Trump was involved. Records in that case show that George Papadopoulos, a foreign policy adviser, had frequent discussions with Russians in 2016 and trumpeted his connections in front of Mr. Trump and Mr. Sessions.

For months, journalists have revealed evidence that associates of Mr. Trump met with Russians during the campaign and the presidential transition. But the court documents represent the first concrete evidence that Mr. Trump was personally told about ties between a campaign adviser and Russian officials.

At a March 31, 2016, meeting between Mr. Trump and his foreign policy team, Mr. Papadopoulos introduced himself and said “that he had connections that could help arrange a meeting between then-candidate Trump and President Putin,” according to court records.

“He went into the pitch right away,” said J. D. Gordon, a campaign adviser who attended the meeting. “He said he had a friend in London, the Russian ambassador, who could help set up a meeting with Putin.”

Mr. Trump listened with interest. Mr. Sessions vehemently opposed the idea, Mr. Gordon recalled. “And he said that no one should talk about it because it might leak,” he said.

Several of Mr. Trump’s campaign advisers attended the March 2016 meeting, and at least two of those advisers are now in the White House: Hope Hicks, the communications director, and Stephen Miller, a senior policy adviser.

After Mr. Trump was sworn in, he could not escape questions about Russia. At a Feb. 16, 2017, White House news conference, a reporter asked Mr. Trump, “Can you say whether you are aware that anyone who advised your campaign had contacts with Russia during the course of the election?

“No,” Mr. Trump said. “Nobody that I know of. Nobody.”

The White House has sought to portray Mr. Papadopoulos as an insignificant figure in the campaign.

Ty Cobb, the White House lawyer dealing with matters related to Mr. Mueller’s investigation, said the White House stood behind the president’s comments.

“The media’s willingness to inflate Papadopoulos, a young unpaid volunteer and supposed energy expert, into an important thought leader in the campaign or Russian operative is ludicrous,” Mr. Cobb said. “The evidence so far suggests he attended one meeting, said something about Russia and was immediately shut down by everyone in the room. It’s very important to remember that he is not a criminal now because of anything he did for the campaign — he is a criminal because he initially lied to the F.B.I.”

A Justice Department spokesman declined to comment.

Another member of the foreign policy team, Carter Page, said on Thursday that he told Mr. Sessions in passing in June 2016 that he planned to travel to Russia for a trip “completely unrelated” to his volunteer role in the campaign. “Understandably, it was as irrelevant then as it is now,” Mr. Page said. Mr. Page traveled twice to Russia in 2016.

Democrats in the Senate said on Thursday that they would push to have Mr. Sessions return to the Judiciary Committee for further questioning.

“He now needs to come back before the committee, in person, under oath, to explain why he cannot seem to provide truthful, complete answers to these important and relevant questions,” said Senator Patrick J. Leahy, Democrat of Vermont, who is on the Judiciary Committee.

Senator Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut, another Democrat on the committee, pointed out that Mr. Sessions’s testimony was under oath and “wasn’t just some random comment he made in passing on the street.”

Mr. Sessions faced similar questions in January before the Senate Judiciary Committee, when Senator Al Franken, Democrat of Minnesota, asked him about contacts between the campaign and Russia. “I’m not aware of any of those activities,” Mr. Sessions said. He denied having any such contacts himself.

Democrats condemned those remarks as misleading when it was revealed that Mr. Sessions held meetings with the Russian ambassador during the campaign. Last month, Mr. Franken renewed his questioning.

“You don’t believe that surrogates from the Trump campaign had communications with the Russians?” he asked.

“I did not, and I’m not aware of anyone else that did,” Mr. Sessions replied. “And I don’t believe it happened.”

He did not make any reference to Mr. Papadopoulos. Mr. Sessions has said he answered honestly because he was being questioned in the context of Russian officials continuously exchanging information with campaign advisers.

Mr. Gordon said that while the March 2016 meeting technically contradicted Mr. Sessions’s testimony, he defended the attorney general.

“This is something he heard way back in March from some young man who was not authorized to speak for the campaign,” he said. “I don’t blame Senator Sessions for not remembering that.” He said that only in the political “gotcha game” could the matter be considered significant.

The court documents in the Papadopoulos case represent the most explicit evidence yet that Mr. Trump’s campaign was eager to coordinate with Russian officials to undermine his rival, Hillary Clinton. Federal investigators suspected that Russian intelligence services used intermediaries to contact Mr. Papadopoulos to gain influence with the campaign, offering “dirt” on Mrs. Clinton in the form of “thousands of emails.” Mr. Papadopoulos pleaded guilty to lying about those contacts and is cooperating with the F.B.I.

On Thursday, as news of Mr. Papadopoulos’s Russian ties continued to ripple through Washington, Mr. Franken sent a stern letter to Mr. Sessions. “This is another example in an alarming pattern in which you, the nation’s top law enforcement official, apparently failed to tell the truth, under oath,” he wrote.

More at NYT

It seems to me if the administration had simply answered truthfully in the media and hearings, they could have saved themselves quite a bit of trouble. I think Trump's firing of Comey and his help with his son's answers to the disclosed meeting with the Russian attorney, both of which involves more cover up or obstruction than anything else did him the most harm with all this. Likewise, Sessions should have just answered truthfully about his experiences with Papadopoulos and meeting with the Russian ambassador then it would have been much better for him.
0 Replies

revelette1

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 06:49 am
@snood,
He should because he has lied under oath. However, it won't be good for Mueller, Trump could more easily fire Mueller with a new Attorney General who is not in any way connected with this Russian business. How to find such a person?
0 Replies

Olivier5

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 06:57 am
@izzythepush,
There are reasons why Trump was elected. One of these reasons is the poor performance of Clinton as a candidate. Another is the perception, widely shared among Bernie supporters and now confirmed by party insiders, that the democratic primaries were rigged. Another one is the perception that dems are repub-lite, that they care more about corporate interests that about the poor and middle class.
Setanta

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 06:58 am
@Lash,
Then start a thread about it. You do know what "relevant" and "contemporary" mean, right?
0 Replies

Olivier5

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 07:01 am
@Setanta,
I care more about politics than you do, and i am less vindicative and mean than you are. I want Trump out of office. This cannot happen until the democratic party reforms itself and repositions itself as a principled champion of the 99%.
Olivier5

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 07:04 am
@revelette1,
I don't think you can prove that. I believe the Russian meddling had a significant impact, and so did the perception that Clinton and the DNC cheated during the primaries.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 07:10 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

The specific definition of "rigged" in this context is critical.

Semantics only go so far though.
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 07:12 am
@Olivier5,
Ah-hahahahahahahahaha . . . oh yeah, little miss sweetness and light.

You claim to be French, which I don't believe. So the machinations and the mechanisms of the Democratic Party should be well beyond your ken. If you care so passionately, then start a thread on the topic, or go to EB's "Why I left he Democratic Party" thread. All you're doing here is attempting to disrupt the discussion of the titular topic. If you care so much about politics, why aren't you ranting about the corruption in the Republican Party? Why aren't you ranting about the Koch brothers and dark money?

You need to peddle your phony-baloney story somewhere else. This thread is about Trump and relevant contemporary events. You and Sofia Lash Goth crack me up with that lame excuse for attempting to trash this thread.
izzythepush

Fri 3 Nov, 2017 07:17 am
@Olivier5,
Trump was elected a year ago. He's now president, Clinton is yesterday's news. If you want to debate structural faults in the Democrat party, start a thread.

This is about President Trump, and his presidency. Nobody was talking about Mitt Romney a year into Obama's presidency because he was doing a good job. All the trumpies can talk about is Clinton because they'd rather not think about the omniclusterfuck that is this presidency.

Take it somewhere else.
0 Replies