monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Setanta

Mon 30 Oct, 2017 04:11 am
Ford pardoned Nixon for any crimes he may have committed while President. If Plump tries that for the small fry, he will definitely become impeachment bait. Even the Republican Party has some standards, low and deceitful though they may be.
blatham

Mon 30 Oct, 2017 04:21 am
Oh yeah. Well what the hell would he know about it? For the truth, turn to Fox, LImbaugh and Donald Trump.
Quote:
‘The Russians Have Succeeded Beyond Their Wildest Expectations’
Former intelligence chief James Clapper says President Trump is dead wrong about Russian interference in America’s elections. And they’re going to get away with it again, he warns.
Politico
hightor

Mon 30 Oct, 2017 04:32 am
@blatham,
Our resident righties will be quick to discount anything Clapper says — "he lied to Congress."
oralloy

Mon 30 Oct, 2017 04:38 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
If Plump tries that for the small fry, he will definitely become impeachment bait.

The Republicans will not allow Trump to be removed without both of two things:

a) credible evidence that he is guilty of serious crimes, and

b) a good reason why anyone should care after the Democrats let Bill Clinton commit all those felonies in the White House.

Exercising his lawful power to pardon anyone that he wants to is not a serious crime.

The Democrats really have no chance of ever fulfilling requirement "B", so Trump really has nothing to worry about even in the extremely unlikely event that the Democrats manage to fulfil requirement "A".
blatham

Mon 30 Oct, 2017 04:59 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Our resident righties will be quick to discount anything Clapper says — "he lied to Congress."
Yeah, they will. Because they are right wing idiots. Which is the subject of todays... Voices From The Right.
Quote:
In particular, [John Boehner] took aim at radio host Mark Levin, saying his popularity among right-wing audiences turned fellow conservative commentator Rush Limbaugh and Fox News host Sean Hannity against him while he was speaker.

Levin, he said, “went really crazy right and got a big audience, and he dragged Hannity to the dark side. He dragged Rush to the dark side. And these guys — I used to talk to them all the time. And suddenly they’re beating the living s— out of me.”

In early 2015, Boehner reportedly called Hannity and vented his frustrations: “I called him and said, ‘Listen, you’re nuts.’ We had this really blunt conversation. Things were better for a few months, and then it got back to being the same-old, same-old. Because I wasn’t going to be a right-wing idiot.”
WP
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 30 Oct, 2017 05:35 am
Blanket pardons can reasonably be construed as obstruction of justice. Even the low-life Republican Party has some standards. This thread is not about either of the Clintons, it's about Plump. As for the Democrats, they have to get their act together, dump that loser Mrs. Clinton, and that carpet bagger Sanders. If they can get their act together, the Republicans are going to be in trouble in the mid-term elections.
snood

Mon 30 Oct, 2017 05:47 am
@Setanta,
You don't think Hillary really has any 2020 aspirations do you?
Walter Hinteler

Mon 30 Oct, 2017 06:07 am
@snood,
According to the NYT
Quote:
Paul Manafort, who is a former campaign chairman to President Trump, and his former business associate Rick Gates were told to surrender to federal authorities on Monday morning, according to a person involved in the case.
Source & full report
izzythepush

Mon 30 Oct, 2017 06:11 am
@snood,
I hope not, you need someone new, young and dynamic.
snood

@Walter Hinteler,
Yeah, I saw that. I hope the indictments are not just for things done before his connection to the Plump campaign.
0 Replies

revelette1

@Walter Hinteler,
I read that. I am not sure the charges are going to be all that much about Russia collusion so much as tax evasion, money laundering and not disclosing his foreign lobbying. I don't know a thing about Gates.
0 Replies

snood

Mon 30 Oct, 2017 06:13 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I hope not, you need someone new, young and dynamic.
I'm pretty sure even Hillary Clinton knows that any further Hillary Clinton candidacies would be a net negative.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 30 Oct, 2017 06:13 am
Quote:
Concentrations of CO2 in the Earth's atmosphere surged to a record high in 2016, according to the World Meteorological Organization (WMO).
Last year's increase was 50% higher than the average of the past 10 years.
Researchers say a combination of human activities and the El Niño weather phenomenon drove CO2 to a level not seen in 800,000 years.
Scientists say this risks making global temperature targets largely unattainable.
This year's greenhouse gas bulletin produced by the WMO, is based on measurements taken in 51 countries. Research stations dotted around the globe measure concentrations of warming gases including carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide.
The figures published by the WMO are what's left in the atmosphere after significant amounts are absorbed by the Earth's "sinks", which include the oceans and the biosphere.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-41778089
revelette1

Mon 30 Oct, 2017 06:18 am
It might be that Manafort is not being helpful and by arresting him, perhaps Mueller will get him to talk. At least that is what I have been reading.
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 30 Oct, 2017 06:23 am
@snood,
I would certainly not advise it, but I don't think she inhabits the real world--witness the lazy, drifting campaign she ran, with a hectic, ill-considered effort at the end--in Florida, for Dog's sake. If Mr. Obama had gone back to Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania, she'd be the president now.

So, I really have no clue what she might be thinking. But the Democrats don't need her playing the Grande Dame of the party, either.
snood

Mon 30 Oct, 2017 06:30 am
@Setanta,
Yeah I agree that her best service to the Dems right now and through 2020 would be to start a vegetable garden or something in Chappaqua.
Setanta

Mon 30 Oct, 2017 06:32 am
If the Democrats want to run a woman again, they should look at Tulsi Gabbard. She has shown the courage of her convictions, which I say even though I think supporting Sanders was lapse in judgment (I really, really don't like Sanders, so I admit that prejudice). She is a veteran of Iraq, and a serving Major in the Hawaii National Guard. If she ran in 2020 and were elected, she would be the youngest president in our history. That right-wing Nazi loon Spencer has endorsed her for president, because he obviously thinks she can easily be beaten. Her biggest enemy for the Democratic nomination would be Wasserman-Shultz, the DNC chair last year, with whom she quarreled, before resigning from the DNC. I would hope that she, and younger Democrats can wrest the party away from the elder establishment. That's their best hope for the future.
Setanta

Mon 30 Oct, 2017 06:33 am
@snood,
That cracked me up.
0 Replies

snood

Mon 30 Oct, 2017 06:36 am
@Setanta,
I don't like Gabbard. I think she took some cynical, opportunistic stances against Obama, and I think her support of Sanders showed bad judgement.
I like Kamala Harris. And I still like Liz Warren.
izzythepush

Mon 30 Oct, 2017 07:13 am
Breaking news from the BBC

Quote:
The FBI special counsel's spokesman has just given us this statement:

"Paul J. Manafort, Jr., 68, of Alexandria, Va., and Richard W. Gates III, 45, of Richmond, Va., have been indicted by a federal grand jury on Oct. 27, 2017, in the District of Columbia.

"The indictment contains 12 counts: conspiracy against the United States, conspiracy to launder money, unregistered agent of a foreign principal, false and misleading FARA statements, false statements, and seven counts of failure to file reports of foreign bank and financial accounts."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-us-canada-41805324
0 Replies