monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Fri 20 Oct, 2017 07:15 am
Quote:
Donald J. Trump‏Verified account
@realDonaldTrump
Democrat Congresswoman totally fabricated what I said to the wife of a soldier who died in action (and I have proof). Sad!

Well, maybe Trump is lying again. Just maybe.
Quote:
Kelly’s defense of Trump essentially confirmed Wilson’s account of the President’s comments to Myeshia Johnson, the widow of Sgt. La David Johnson. Wilson said that Trump told Johnson that her husband “knew what he was signing up for,” and Kelly told reporters that he told Trump to say something along those lines.
TPM

If we've been operating under the hope that Kelly is one "adult" insider helping to reign in his barbaric moron boss, then yesterday's speech isn't terribly encouraging. It was both agitprop and it was jingoist. And it was precisely in the authoritarian mold of "the military are the highest example of patriotism and how dare any "news" people even ask questions about this if they have no loved ones killed in battle".
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 20 Oct, 2017 07:28 am
I don't know if one could find a better example of how corrupt the modern GOP has actually become.

In North Carolina, where GOP efforts have been stymied by various court rulings, the GOP is now moving to change such outcomes by getting more conservative judges seated (thus facilitating, for one example, voter suppression systems courts have held as impermissable). NYT
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 20 Oct, 2017 07:31 am
I watched Kelly explain how comforting calls from his son’s friends were after his son was killed in service.

Oddly, the preamble several of them began with was how they all knew what they were signing up for. The service personnel added other statements that Kelly found comforting.

Trump botched the delivery.
blatham

Fri 20 Oct, 2017 07:46 am
It's early in the day but I think we can put this forward as nominee in the category of "How Does Anyone Get This Stupid? I mean, really?!"
Quote:
David A. Clarke, Jr.‏Verified account @SheriffClarke 7h7 hours ago
.@realDonaldTrump calling Frederica Wilson “whacky” is putting it mildly. The woman is a buffoon. Look at her.

And he attaches this photo
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DMj7RKjXkAA-y5_.jpg

And he posts this on his twitter account which features his own chosen photograph of self

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/778569891641110528/mg-O96xI.jpg
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 20 Oct, 2017 07:56 am
@Lash,
Quote:
Trump botched the delivery.

Yeah. That's it. And it is so surprising that he did given his extraordinary capacity for empathy and grace. Like when he demeaned John McCain for being captured. Like when he grabbed women's pussies. Like when he set up a fraudulent university for people hoping to get ahead. Like...
blatham

Fri 20 Oct, 2017 08:07 am
Today's Voices From the Right segment featuring Arizona Senator Jeff Flake.
Quote:
“You can always eke out an election victory here and there,” he told POLITICO in an interview this week. “But … resentment is not a governing philosophy.”

The GOP has “deviated," Flake added. "We’ve taken a banner that is not familiar to us as Republicans. And I don’t know how long this will last.”

Flake chastised Trump’s protectionist trade positions and his party’s attempt to “scapegoat” immigrants for the country’s economic problems. And unlike other GOP senators, Flake publicly agrees with the sentiments of retiring Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.), who recently blasted the president for potentially leading the country toward “World War III” with his erratic tweets and foreign policy pronouncements.
Politico
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 20 Oct, 2017 08:12 am
@blatham,
If you spread that righteous indignation around to everyone who is guilty of the same or worse, you’d have such an unassailable platform.

But, no.

President Bill Clinton actually violently raped women and paid settlements like his bud, Weinstein. But that’s ok. You approve rapes by democrats.

Sigh. It’s so tired. Trump’s sexual exploits aren’t in the same universe as Clinton’s and you all know it and tacitly approve.

blatham

Fri 20 Oct, 2017 08:15 am
A bit of a long read from ProPublica but it's obviously important.
Quote:
Racist, Violent, Unpunished: A White Hate Group’s Campaign of Menace
They train to fight. They post their beatings online. And so far, they have little reason to fear the authorities.
Link Here
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
blatham

Fri 20 Oct, 2017 08:51 am
@Lash,
Quote:
If you spread that righteous indignation around to everyone who is guilty of the same or worse, you’d have such an unassailable platform.

Right again. I really ought to express indignation for all the other living presidents for having set up a fraudulent university. And who can forget the many others who have denigrated John McCain and all other prisoners in Viet Nam for getting captured. Losers!

But you go with excusing Trump's pussy grabbing assaults on women because Bill Clinton. Of course you would. Again, with the tu quoque fallacy.

Quote:
President Bill Clinton actually violently raped women
No, not "actually". These are claims, unproven in any court but which have proliferated in right wing media circles for decades. Obviously that is your information diet. In any case, Clinton is not sitting in the WH and Trump is. Your use of this is irrelevant (thus a fallacy). Like if I were to note...
Quote:
Piper Laurie: I lost my virginity to Ronald Reagan... and he was no gentleman

HOLLYWOOD veteran Piper Laurie has revealed how she lost her virginity as a teenage starlet to the man playing her on-screen father, future President Ronald Reagan.
Link Here

Seriously. Why don't you just come clean and admit you've been using the Bernie thing as a right wing troll.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 20 Oct, 2017 09:00 am
Pssst... a reminder
Quote:
CNN‏Verified account
@CNN
"Everybody knows that Russia meddled in our elections," @nikkihaley tells @DanaBashCNN #CNNSOTU
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 20 Oct, 2017 09:35 am
Quote:

But you go with excusing Trump's pussy grabbing assaults on women because Bill Clinton. Of course you would. Again, with the tu quoque fallacy.

Classic dodge by you and your anti-fact cronies.

I don’t excuse Trump OR Clinton.
You excuse Clinton.

The hypocrisy irritates me, and I like to hold people accountable for such hypocrisy.

I don’t excuse the phony university, attacks on Gold Star families, or the pay-for-play Clinton Foundation.

Weinstein never went to court either. You are placing yourself pretty squarely on the side of rapists and abusers. The woman is a liar unless she can get the most powerful rapists in the country accused and found guilty in court...or unless she accuses a Republican.

You are an enemy of women.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 20 Oct, 2017 12:43 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
I think Russia’s dabbling is no more than usual, and no more than ours.

Good girl!

There's a crack I never expected from the enlightened feminist blatham, but I guess it's OK to be a sexist when you strongly disagree with someone.

What's up next? Calling her "sweetie?"
blatham

Fri 20 Oct, 2017 01:07 pm
Greg Sargent gets to what was so disappointing and ugly about Kelly's performance yesterday.
Quote:
“When I was a kid growing up, a lot of things were sacred in our country,” Kelly said, adding that “women were sacred.”

It’s odd to invoke the “sacredness” of women while defending Trump, who is accused of multiple counts of sexual assault and has repeatedly and very publicly denigrated women in horrifying ways, but Kelly is of course not responsible for Trump’s actions. What is worse is the sleight of hand Kelly used to align Trump culturally and morally with the military and the families of the fallen while casting the Congressman as belonging to a kind of cultural category that, in the minds of people of Kelly’s generation, which came of age during the country’s searing divisions over Vietnam, is characterized by empty, valueless showboating and doesn’t have sufficient respect for the military and the ultimate sacrifice made by fallen soldiers and their loved ones.
WP
blatham

Fri 20 Oct, 2017 01:14 pm
Going forward, we can now all state with certainty that the GOP does not actually care about deficits at all. Their prior position of insisting upon deficit neutral budgeting was a pretense, a political tool and nothing more. Certainly not a principle of "proper governance".
Quote:
Tax cuts that have become Republicans’ essential policy objective since the Senate failed to pass multiple bills to rewrite Obamacare. Approval of the budget is expected to help shore up ties between Senate GOP leaders and Trump, who is angry at Republicans’ failure on health care and bent on Congress approving a tax-reform package by the end of the year.

At the same time, by agreeing to the massive tax cut, Senate Republicans have officially moved the party far away from its promised goal of ensuring that the tax plan would not add to the deficit. The White House and House Republicans had vowed that the tax cuts would be offset with new revenue from the elimination of certain deductions, but that is no longer the GOP’s goal. Instead, they have abandoned long-standing party orthodoxy of deficit reduction and are seeking a political win after months of frustration on Capitol Hill.
WP

Of course, we knew this already. Recall Cheney's statement to O'Neill
Quote:
You know, Paul, Reagan proved that deficits don't matter.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Fri 20 Oct, 2017 01:20 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
SANDERS: If you want to go after Gen. Kelly, that's up to you, but I think that if you want to get into a debate with a four-star Marine general, I think that that's something highly inappropriate.
WaPo

Now I know, why some (like Mrs Walter) is going after me: I've been only a three-chevron Navy conscript.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 20 Oct, 2017 01:21 pm
On Trump, Kelly and the sacredness of US soldiers who've died in combat.
Quote:
Trump first weighed in on the attack 12 days after the soldiers were ambushed … The President, a very prolific Twitter user, never tweeted about the attack — the deadliest US military exchange of his presidency. In the meantime, Trump used his preferred social media platform to lambast fellow Republicans, the NFL and the media. And on Saturday, October 7, when the body of Sgt. La David T. Johnson was returned to the United States, the President was golfing.
CNN
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 20 Oct, 2017 01:34 pm
What's it all about, Lindsey?

If the GOP doesn't pass a tax bill, says Graham...
Quote:
“That will be the end of us as a party,” he said, “because if you’re a Republican and you don’t want to simplify the tax code and cut taxes, what good are you to anybody?”

There ya are. The core GOP principle of governance - Reduce taxation (of the very wealthy).
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 20 Oct, 2017 01:38 pm
Who could have seen this coming?
Quote:
Following Richard Spencer’s Thursday talk at the University of Florida, a trio of Spencer’s supporters opened fire just outside Gainesville, Fla., during an altercation with those opposing Spencer’s presence.

According to a statement from the Gainesville Police Department, Tyler Tenbrink, William Fears, and Colton Fears – all from Texas – were arrested and charged with attempted homicide. The 28-year-old Tenbrink, encouraged by the Fears brothers, fired into the crowd during an altercation following Spencer’s speech. The bullet missed the counter-protesters and struck a nearby building.
TP

As Andrew Breitbart said not long before he died, "I hope the left tries something because we've got all the guns".
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 20 Oct, 2017 01:51 pm
WTF?

Lara Trump (Eric's wife) says on Fox that she's seen the transcript of the phone call between Trump and La David T. Johnson’s widow, Myeshia Johnson. Trump, of course, has said that Congressman Wilson's account (which is verified by Johnson) was "totally fabricated". And Trump said he has proof.
Quote:
Oddly, Lara Trump’s description of the call appears consistent with Congresswoman Wilson’s account. Lara Trump, paraphrasing the conversation, says her father-in-law told Johnson “your husband went in to battle, you know, knowing that he could be injured, knowing that he could be killed.”

This tracks with what Trump Chief of Staff John Kelly, who listened to the call from the White House, said yesterday. Kelly said Trump told Johnson her husband “knew what he was getting himself into because he enlisted.” Again, this appears to confirm Wilson’s account.
TP

Then, this...
Quote:
White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders denies there is a transcript of the call. She referred further questions to Lara Trump and the Trump campaign.

When the lying is so common and so pervasive, I guess **** like this is a certain consequence.

0 Replies