monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

maporsche

Wed 11 Oct, 2017 08:37 am
@revelette1,
So far the NFL has just said that they 'should' stand. There is no rule or policy or enforcement announced by the NFL as of yet.
Lash

Wed 11 Oct, 2017 08:39 am
@revelette1,
Trump didn’t convince the owners. Kaepernick was left swinging in the wind by all owners during the Obama administration.

Owners know their paying audience.

Trump just capitalized on it.

Right now, everyone is using their free speech: players, owners, audiences, actors, Eminem, and Trump.

Quite a speech-y environment.
0 Replies

Lash

Wed 11 Oct, 2017 08:41 am
@maporsche,
They are employers with contracts. Free speech laws don’t mean there aren’t conditions of employment that may lead to your unemployment when you legally exercise your right to speak.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 11 Oct, 2017 08:50 am
@maporsche,
Pecunia non olet Very Happy
Walter Hinteler

Wed 11 Oct, 2017 08:53 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
President Trump attacked NBC News on Wednesday, dismissing as “pure fiction” an explosive report that he had sought a massive increase in the nation's nuclear arsenal.

On Twitter, Trump also raised the possibility that he would support stripping the broadcast licenses of news networks that report what he believes to be inaccurate information. The tweets came after NBC News reported that Trump purportedly told senior national security advisers during a meeting last summer that he favored what amounted to nearly a tenfold increase in nuclear weapons.
WaPo
maporsche

Wed 11 Oct, 2017 09:04 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

They are employers with contracts. Free speech laws don’t mean there aren’t conditions of employment that may lead to your unemployment when you legally exercise your right to speak.

I don't see how this is a response to my post.
maporsche

Wed 11 Oct, 2017 09:11 am
@revelette1,
The NFL has also said that they, as an organization, will put efforts into raising awareness into the very issues that the players are protesting (maybe similar to what they do for Breast Cancer Awareness Month). And that they will work closely with communities that they partner with to bring about social change.

You may see the demonstrations around the national anthem/flag change (although, you may not...the NFL and the players union would likely have legal issues to work out. This is a contract question.) but you're not going to see the issues go away.

This is what progress looks like.
Lash

Wed 11 Oct, 2017 09:12 am
@maporsche,
Supporting detail, additional context...
maporsche

Wed 11 Oct, 2017 09:13 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Supporting detail.

No. Just irrelevant.
Lash

Wed 11 Oct, 2017 09:14 am
@maporsche,
Not to me.
0 Replies

revelette1

Wed 11 Oct, 2017 09:20 am
@Walter Hinteler,
We might as well be Russia.
0 Replies

revelette1

Wed 11 Oct, 2017 09:22 am
@maporsche,
Well, I hope you are right. So far, it looks and smells like stifling freedom of speech to me. But if you are right, and there is really something similar to breast cancer awareness for black men being murdered by police with no consequences, then, I am glad those players took a knee.
Below viewing threshold (view)
maporsche

Wed 11 Oct, 2017 09:54 am
@revelette1,
I posted this to my social media today. It expands my thoughts further. So far it’s just talk but the NFL hasn’t done anything yet but issue an opinion and talk about some possible changes. They have a meeting next week to discuss more.

No players are being disciplined, fined, made to stand, etc as of yet.

I’m hopeful that the league will do the right thing here as so far we have some inclination that they will.

Quote:
The #takeaknee protest is producing action on the part of the NFL and communities. Yesterday the NFL announced that they will be working more closely with the players and communities to bring social change, and raise even more awareness of injustices. So far it’s just words, but the peaceful, respectful, protest is starting to produce results. Sports and players aren’t perfect, but often athletes have helped pave the way to changes in America. Glad to NFL is making some changes in response.

The letter from the NFL also said, “The controversy over the anthem is a barrier to having honest conversations and making real progress on the underlying issues.” It’s important to note that this is by design from people who don’t think there is anything wrong with racial inequalities in America and that minorities of all stripes are not under attack. They’ve tried to make the issue about the flag and not about what the players are protesting. It’s not going to work. The league and the communities the league is active in now understand and have been pressured into responding.
BillW

Wed 11 Oct, 2017 10:06 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

Well, I hope you are right. So far, it looks and smells like stifling freedom of speech to me. But if you are right, and there is really something similar to breast cancer awareness for black men being murdered by police with no consequences, then, I am glad those players took a knee.

Let me point out the league hasn't prevented the players from wearing pink. That's where the similarity exists!
0 Replies

Real Music

Wed 11 Oct, 2017 10:42 am

Eminem - BET Cypher 2017 Lyric Video
(Donald Trump Diss) (New 2017)

izzythepush

Wed 11 Oct, 2017 11:35 am
@snood,
Quote:
A number of senior Labour politicians have signed a letter to Theresa May calling for Harvey Weinstein to be stripped of his CBE.

The Hollywood producer, who has been fired from the Weinstein Company following a number of allegations of harassment from women in the movie industry, received the honour at an investiture ceremony at the residence of the British consul general in New York in 2004.

Mrs May has already expressed "concern" about the accusations but said it was not a matter for Downing Street.

An open letter to the Prime Minister has been signed by shadow industrial strategy minister Chi Onwurah, shadow minister for labour Jack Dromey, shadow secretary of state for women and equalities Dawn Butler, shadow arts and heritage minister Kevin Brennan and the head of the Women's Parliamentary Labour Party, Jess Phillips.

The letter describes the accusations against Mr Weinstein as "unacceptable and intolerable" and says keeping his honorary CBE in place risks "bringing the honours system into disrepute".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/11/labour-mps-urge-theresa-may-strip-harvey-weinstein-cbe/
0 Replies