monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

izzythepush

Tue 3 Oct, 2017 12:30 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Baldimo wrote:

There isn't a good reason, the FBI stats prove that white people are killed by police more often that black people. This is why the whole BLM movement is suspect in my eyes.

Everything Baldimo writes is suspect in my eyes.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 3 Oct, 2017 12:35 pm
Quote:
The US should consider staying in the Iran nuclear deal, Defence Secretary James Mattis has suggested.
Asked in a Senate hearing whether he thought this was in the national interest, he said that it was.
President Donald Trump, who is highly critical of the deal, is to decide by 15 October whether Iran is complying. The White House has not commented on the defence secretary's remarks.
The 2015 accord was designed to prevent Iran developing a nuclear weapon.
"I believe at this point in time, absent indications to the contrary, it is something that the president should consider staying with," Mr Mattis told the Senate Armed Services Committee in Washington.
"If we can confirm that Iran is living by the agreement, if we can determine that this is in our best interest, then clearly we should stay with it," he added.
Last month, President Trump said Iran was keeping to the spirit of the agreement "atrociously".
He also described the agreement - signed by Iran, the US, the UK, France, China, Russia and Germany - as the "one of the worst deals I've seen".
In April, Mr Trump ordered a review into whether a suspension of sanctions on Iran, linked to the deal curbing its nuclear activities, was in the US national interest.
If the US president does not recertify by the set deadline that Tehran is complying with the agreement, he could withdraw his approval.
Congress would then have 60 days to decide whether to re-impose sanctions on Iran suspended under the deal.
Iran has always said it has the right to nuclear energy - and insists that its nuclear programme is for peaceful purposes only.
The International Atomic Energy Agency said last month that Iran was implementing the nuclear-related commitments from the deal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41489550
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 3 Oct, 2017 01:05 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

There isn't a good reason, the FBI stats prove that white people are killed by police more often that black people.

well 'dóh
compare the population size

then compare the ratio

raw numbers are not helpful
ehBeth

Tue 3 Oct, 2017 01:07 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
the rate at which blacks are killed IS noticeably much higher, and has not gone unnoticed, which is why BLM is important. It ain't equal treatment under the law.

Never has been.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 3 Oct, 2017 01:20 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I wonder what [Hofstadter's] take on the current anti-intellectualism would be. Pages of footnotes a la McCarthy aren't the thing these days.

I wonder about that too. But I suspect he'd be little surprised at the nature of this problem given his study of it through US history. He'd probably focus, as others have, on factors in the current situation that make these anti-intellectual tendencies even more pronounced (ie a large audience effectively captured within a closed-off epistemological universe).

Re branding... Trump plays this game well, as any conman who is quick on his/her feet does. But it is a skill/strategy that marks Republican politics.
I think this is probably because so many in GOP leadership (or who use that party) come out of the business community where there is both motive and expertise in selling the product even if the product is absolute crap or deadly. Nurses, teachers, social workers, professors, working stiffs, etc come out of backgrounds that are very different and which have very different desired goals and styles of communication.

As I see it, the Tea Party was effectively a necessary rebranding of conservative politics after Bush. As the appeal of that diminished, something like Trumpism or Bannonism was certain to arise, proffered as the new face of modern conservatism. And when Trump fails, there will be massive forgetting and worship for a new brand.

cameronleon

Tue 3 Oct, 2017 01:35 pm
@blatham,
In other words, if changes keep continuing the way they are, the word "the establishment" will soon disappear from the politics dictionary.
0 Replies

BillW

Tue 3 Oct, 2017 01:40 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Baldimo wrote:

There isn't a good reason, the FBI stats prove that white people are killed by police more often that black people.

well 'dóh
compare the population size

then compare the ratio

raw numbers are not helpful

There are other factors to be considered also, such as: how many were deaths of people who are unarmed, not making aggressive attacks, running away, no crimes committed, 12 year olds with toy pistols, girl friend/wife/mother pleading to spare their life?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 3 Oct, 2017 01:43 pm
@Baldimo,
the police are one, comparatively minor, thing - ask them about desk clerks, waiters, people who see them on the street at night, store clerks, security guards at malls, straight out people.

It continues to be much better to be white, or perceived as white, in much of the world - very notably in the US.
ossobucotemp

Tue 3 Oct, 2017 01:58 pm
@Ragman,
I read, who knows where, maybe bbc news, that the spokesperson for the company that sold the shooter the machine guns had spoken up and said the m. guns had been altered, not bought that way.

Not that I absolve our country's gun madness - though I can understand reasonable usage by non-disturbed people - but in this case the seller had the guy's data, and his FBI clearance data, and so on. I think we need some changes in the laws and the followups on those, but I would, wouldn't I.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Tue 3 Oct, 2017 02:03 pm
@snood,
I don't remember - someone mentioned Jerry Brown was thinking of running.
0 Replies

Builder

Tue 3 Oct, 2017 02:19 pm
@snood,
Quote:
Can you answer the question about if your reaction would differ according to the appearance of a person carrying a weapon?
\

Anybody open-carrying a weapon would immediately raise suspicion. In Australia, a police officer must file a report for drawing their own gun in a public place.

I'm not anti-gun, myself, but having automatic military-grade weapons available for purchase is a completely puzzling scenario.
Baldimo

Tue 3 Oct, 2017 02:25 pm
@Builder,
Quote:
I'm not anti-gun, myself, but having automatic military-grade weapons available for purchase is a completely puzzling scenario.

That's just the point, there are no "automatic military-grade weapons" available for sale in the US. There is a long in depth process that you have to follow to legally buy these types of weapons. Don't believe the anti-gun hype put out by the left leaning US media.
snood

Tue 3 Oct, 2017 02:33 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

the police are one, comparatively minor, thing - ask them about desk clerks, waiters, people who see on the street at night, store clerks, security guards at malls, straight out people.

It continues to be much better to be white, or perceived as white, in much of the world - very notably in the US.

How does it strike you - the fact that so many people seem to remain either willfully ignorant or in the dark about that?
0 Replies

snood

Tue 3 Oct, 2017 02:37 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Quote:

That's just the point, there are no "automatic military-grade weapons" available for sale in the US. There is a long in depth process that you have to follow to legally buy these types of weapons. Don't believe the anti-gun hype put out by the left leaning US media.

What about the still legal, readily available alteration kits, like 'bump-stocks' to rig semi-auto to fire auto?
Baldimo

Tue 3 Oct, 2017 02:44 pm
@snood,
Quote:
What about the still legal, readily available alteration kits, like 'bump-stocks' to rig semi-auto to fire auto?

Those are still not full auto weapons and are not classified that way. I understand the reason behind them but I think they are stupid and would never mount one to any of my semi-autos.
snood

Tue 3 Oct, 2017 02:53 pm
@Baldimo,
I think they're saying a bump-stock is what this guy used in Vegas. It may not be exactly the same rate of fire as an official factory automatic weapon, but to a bunch of people being fired upon, it's the same thing.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 3 Oct, 2017 03:13 pm
The latest "have a good time" news from the beautiful Caribbean...
Quote:
Then, during a tour of the devastation, he told survivors to “have a good time.”

“Great to see you,” Trump added.

During a later appearance where he handed out supplies, the President “tossed rolls of paper towels into the crowd,” according to a White House pool report.

“There’s a lot of love in this room,” he said. “Great people.”

...Trump later claimed that “most of the hospitals” on Puerto Rico were open. He said “the job that’s been done” on the island “is really nothing short of a miracle.”

As of Friday, of Puerto Rico’s 69 hospitals, only one was fully operational, according to FEMA.
TPM

Would someone place lock up this maniacal shitgibbon.
snood

Tue 3 Oct, 2017 03:16 pm
@blatham,
Did you see him joking to the people who just had their homes and neighborhoods devastated that "Puerto Rico has really put a dent in my budget"? A ******* laugh riot, this guy.

[edit]The actual quote was:

Quote:
"I hate to tell you,Puerto Rico, but you've thrown our budget out of whack."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-helps-suffering-puerto-ricans-by-throwing-paper-towels-at-them_us_59d3db64e4b0218923e5b4f7?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009
blatham

Tue 3 Oct, 2017 03:16 pm
Great idea! Run with this one, boys.
Quote:
Vice President Mike Pence’s chief of staff on Tuesday floated the possibility of a party “purge” of Republican lawmakers who don’t support President Donald Trump.
TPM
blatham

Tue 3 Oct, 2017 03:17 pm
@snood,
I read the quote but didn't watch video. This was a conscious choice.