monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Lash

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 04:24 am
NFL fight was a win for Trump.

Sad.

Excerpt:
http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/29/opinions/trump-winner-in-nfl-fight-jennings-opinion/index.html

(CNN)We've got enough data and anecdotes now to make an early call on whether President Donald Trump's fight over NFL players kneeling during the National Anthem was a political winner for him. With a small and probably irrelevant caveat, it was.

Two national surveys with rigorous methodologies show Americans are opposed to kneeling during the National Anthem:
-- A Fox News poll found 55% of Americans saying kneeling is inappropriate.

-- The most recent CNN/SSRS poll of adults found 49% saying the players are doing the wrong thing, versus 43% who say they are doing the right thing. Almost one-quarter of American adults said they planned to personally boycott NFL games, broadcasts and products because of the protests.
Olivier5

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 04:27 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
For your and this Jim Geraghty's information, they kneel to attract attention towards, and express their disgust about cops murdering black people with impunity in their country.

The players who kneel have more respect for the US than their detractors. They expect more of it than their detractors, who seem to be quite happy with a racist police force killing people.
MontereyJack

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 04:30 am
@oralloy,
Only oralloy and his twisted illogic could somehow think that black peope protesting violence against them somehow mean they're publicly calling for murder of police, a claim he has never documented and cannot possibly documented, because it doesn't exist. Yet he keeps repeating it and repeating it and NEVER provides any proof.
Then he endorses a state police officer, who is supposed to defend people's constitutional rightsbut calls people "degenerates"who act on those rights to point out 400 years of continued violence and inequities against them.
And Finn wonders why oral got thumbed down for it..
Oralloyis retailing racist crap with faulty logic and nonexistent facts, and Finn is tactly endorsing that.
Olivier5

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 04:40 am
@Lash,
It ain't over till the fat lady sings.
Lash

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 04:46 am
@Olivier5,
I hope the tide turns, but some members here mad that the information I'm bringing is not what they want is stupid and immature.

It is what it is.

Maybe there will be a ticket-buying response to the boycott.

But I've definitely learned the demographic of the football audience.
MontereyJack

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 04:51 am
@Lash,
Maybe boycotting NFL games on TV will mean that the networks will actually put on some programs worth watching, instead of the boring **** of grown men suffering permanent brain damage from repeatedly bashing into each other for some viewers' vicarious bloodlust pleasure.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 05:43 am
The debacle in Puerto Rico is getting worse every day, nine days after the hurricane struck. This report from Townhall interviews the general who was sent to the Gulf Coast at the time of Katrina, and he's not buying the BS comming out of the White House. This report should be considered NSFW (if you're at work on a Saturday).

Townhall wrote:
In regards to the White House's positive reports, the retired lieutenant general did not hide his impatience.

“That’s bullsh**,” Honoré responded. “This bureaucratic response is not working. With all due respect to the White House, they’re trying to put lipstick on this pig, but this thing is moving too slow.”

Video at Source

Trump said he would be going to Puerto Rico "in a few days," something he had already said a few days ago. He can't go this weekend, because he's at a country club in New Jersey.
izzythepush

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 05:57 am
@Setanta,
That sentiment is echoed by the mayor of San Juan.

Quote:
The mayor of Puerto Rico's biggest city has berated a Trump cabinet official who called the US response to Puerto Rico, "a good news story".
Homeland Secretary Elaine Duke had said she was "very satisfied" with progress, calling it "a good news story in terms of our ability to reach people".
The San Juan mayor hit back: "Damn it, this is not a good news story. This is a people are dying story."
Over a week after Hurricane Maria struck, millions still need urgent aid.
The category 5 hurricane, the most powerful to hit Puerto Rico in at least 90 years, has claimed 16 lives on the island and left millions lacking medicine, food, cellular communications, shelter, and clean water.
"Well maybe from where she's standing it's a good news story," Mayor Carmen Yulin Cruz told CNN as Mrs Duke was preparing to board a plane for Puerto Rico, a US island territory.
"When you're drinking from a creek, it's not a good news story. When you don't have food for a baby, it's not a good news story."
Around 44% of Puerto Ricans lack access to drinking water, and utility officials say it may takes months before electricity is restored, allowing clean water to begin flowing again.
After arriving on the storm-ravaged island, Mrs Duke told reporters: "Clearly the situation here in Puerto Rico after the devastating hurricane is not satisfactory."
"But together we are getting there and the progress today is very, very strong," she added.
Shipping containers stocked with emergency supplies are piling up in San Juan, the capital city, and US and local officials are attempting to rally lorry drivers to help deliver the supplies to remote corners of the island.
"Everything has been wiped out... we're literally starting from scratch," President Donald Trump said in Washington on Friday morning.
On Thursday, he lifted shipping restrictions to help fuel and supplies reach the storm-ravaged island.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41447187
0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 06:08 am
Meanwhile, conservatives are dancing around gleefully touting that NFL bullshit as a "win" for their president. But hey, it's just a bunch of Latinos down there in Puerto Rico, who gives a sh*t about them, right?
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 06:12 am
News outlets properly characterized it as a Trump win.

If the reactions on news and social media had been a good indicator, it would have been an overwhelming Trump loss. I think we're all learning about our demographics.
Setanta

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 06:14 am
I see that like your president, you don't giver a rat's ass about the people in Puerto Rico. Sad, but true.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 06:20 am
Yeah, Lash, thumb down my posts--if ya can't see it, it ain't true, huh?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 06:40 am
On twitter, Trump lashed out at the San Juan mayor and the "fake news" media for criticism of his administration's hurricane relief efforts.

At least, he found time enough for morning tweetstorms from his golf resort at Bedminster, N.J.
Setanta

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 06:41 am
Keep your eyes on the situation in Puerto Rico, everyone. It clearly shows the incompetence of President Plump's administration, and his indifference to the suffering of American citizens.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 06:42 am
@Walter Hinteler,
That's the important news story today. That's it in a nutshell, Walter.
0 Replies

hightor

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 06:51 am
@Lash,
The news outlets can characterize it anyway they wish but I'm not sure it really qualifies as a "win" for Trump. See, I don't think the protests were ever that popular. It's not as if he went out on a limb and did something courageous — he merely played to the majority opinion that the protests were somehow inappropriate, or at worst, "anti-patriotic". Now, when people actually stop watching NFL football and Stupor Bowl 2018 is cancelled, then I'll call it a win.

Football's got bigger problems than players locking arms in protest. Trump's cavalier dismissal of CTE and his belief that higher levels of violence on the field make for better football (and more profits!) should be seen for what it is — utter disregard for the health of expendable gladiators who simply exist to entertain us and promote patriotism.
blatham

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 07:49 am
@Lash,
Quote:
I hope the tide turns, but some members here mad that the information I'm bringing is not what they want is stupid and immature.

I suppose we might take you at your word on what you hope but I don't find good reason to take you at your word.

The piece you linked to is an opinion piece written by a GOP PR pro working at a GOP-aligned PR firm he co-founded. Folks might want to refer to this and related data at site...
Quote:
In 2014, Scott served as Senior Advisor to Kentuckians for Strong Leadership, a Super PAC that spent millions helping reelect Senator McConnell.
LINK HERE
blatham

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 07:55 am
@Lash,
Quote:
News outlets properly characterized it as a Trump win.

They are? Who? You linked only to a CNN opinion piece by a GOP PR firm.

Quote:
If the reactions on news and social media had been a good indicator, it would have been an overwhelming Trump loss. I think we're all learning about our demographics.

Nah, I don't think that's the lesson we're learning here.
blatham

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 08:00 am
Nominations are now closed given the certain victory in today's No ****, Sherlock! award following this
WP front page header
Quote:
The swamp rises around an administration that promised to drain it
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 08:23 am
Good piece by Robert Costa. I'll just note two bits but it is worth reading in full.

Quote:
“You are going to see, in state after state after state, people that follow the model of Judge Moore, that do not have to raise money from the elites, the crony capitalists, from the fat cats in Washington, D.C., New York City and Silicon Valley,” Bannon told Moore’s supporters on Tuesday.
Meanwhile, Breitbart and Bannon himself, not to mention the Moore candidacy, are funded mainly or significantly by hedge fund capitalist fat cat Robert Mercer. So that's all consistent.

Quote:
Mississippi state Sen. Chris McDaniel — who traveled to Alabama to meet with Bannon and is considering challenging Sen. Roger Wicker (R-Miss.) next year — called Moore’s success “inspiring

And who isn't inspired by Roy Moore's win? Homos go straight to jail. Check. People who are members of the wrong religious faith group disallowed access to political office. Check. The Constitution and all laws in America held to be invalid where conflicting with Biblical Law (as interpreted by Roy Moore). Check. Now that's inspirational.

So, all in all, lots to admire about the Trump/Bannon insurgency and the modern GOP.

Final note: The chamber of commerce and the NRA campaigned against Moore. So these boys are all over the place in this budding civil war. One danger here, and there are a few, is that it may be easier up the road for the well-organized and long-game oriented Koch crowd to take advantage of the disarray we're seeing.