monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 12:22 pm
@Brand X,
And don't minimize the desire of the owners to win. While some may be sympathetic to the kneeling players others just want to make the players continue to play hard.

Al Davis would have burned the flag on the 50-yard line if he thought it would win him some games.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 01:15 pm
@BillW,
Quote:
But, they are all as a group anti-Globalists? This sounds like a global activity....
It would be very interesting to have anyone on this board or elsewhere who describes themselves as "anti-globalist" define just what they mean because that term has many, often conflicting, uses.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 01:29 pm
@nimh,
Quote:
"Limousine liberal" doesn't strike me as a right-wing conception
Note I said "conceptions/cliches/talking points". There's a rich tradition of populist left voices poking fun at rich liberals who (it's presumed in this framing) aren't involved in political activism and who just ride along, selfishly, on their good fortune. But in the last several decades in America, the term has had far greater currency on the right as a propaganda device and ad hominem wielded to discount leftist voices where the speaker has significant wealth, eg anyone from Hollywood, wealthy Dems in office, George Soros, the Clintons, and soon, if not already, Obama.
blatham

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 01:46 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
"It's not about free speech." NFL players "can do free speech on their own time."
The players who remain standing are also committing a symbolic speech act. It's just a speech act Trump and his minion approve of. So it is not about respect for free speech at all. It's a clear attempt to bully and denigrate kneeling players who, Mnuchin implies, are or ought to be at the mercy of their employers if they speak or act so as to draw attention to continuing racism in the US. It is totally cool, Trump and Mnuchin imply, if the owners of these teams fire those black sons of bitches.
blatham

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 02:18 pm
On the topic of demonstrating respect for the nation and refraining from criticizing America or portraying it publicly in a negative light, let's go back a few months to Trump's interview with Bill O'Reilly...
Quote:
When O’Reilly asked why Trump respects Putin, the president said, "Well, I respect a lot of people but that doesn't mean I'm going to get along with him."

When O’Reilly said, "Putin’s a killer," Trump responded: "There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent?"
NBCNews
Try to imagine the right wing media response if Colin Kaepernick or Obama said that.

And then there was this one...
Quote:
When the world looks at how bad the United States is, and then we go and talk about civil liberties, I don’t think we’re a very good messenger,”
NYT

So, that's all cool.
Finn dAbuzz

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 02:25 pm
@blatham,
It's amazing what you can pull out of a few words. It's also a load of crap.
blatham

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 02:44 pm
From Marc Short, WH legislative affairs director...
Quote:
"I think the president believes it is his role to improve race relations."
NBCNews

Oh yes. No question about that. Absolutely the truth of things.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 02:49 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
"Wouldn't you love to see one of these NFL owners when somebody disrespects our flag to say, 'Get that son of a bitch off the field right now, out, he's fired, he's fired.' [...] Because that's a total disrespect of our heritage, that's a total disrespect of everything that we stand for, OK? Everything that we stand for.

"And I know we have freedoms and we have freedom of choice and many, many different freedoms. But you know what? It's still totally disrespectful. And, you know, when the NFL ratings are down massively, massively. Now, the number one reason happens to be that they like watching what's happening on, you know, with yours truly."
From Trump's speech in Alabama. I love that last bit - people aren't watching football like they used to because they would rather watch Trump on TV.
roger

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 02:53 pm
@blatham,
Irrelevant, I suppose, but I couldn't possibly watch less football than I already do.
snood

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 02:58 pm
@blatham,
Really something how Finn calls your post "a load of crap" with nothing to support that. You quoted plump's own words and they are accurate exactly in the context you quoted him. He was diminishing Putin's reputation for killing his enemies by saying the US isn't any better. You observed the right wing would lose their ******* thin minds if Kaepernick said or suggested something similar. Not a stretch to imagine. I guess calling your observation "a load of crap" is a lot easier than at least trying to dispute it factually or logically.
Builder

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 03:12 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Try to imagine the right wing media response if Colin Kaepernick or Obama said that.

The thing is, Kaepernick isn't in politics; he's a footballer, excercising his rights to freedom of speech.

And so is Trump. It's not like the UK-US-AU war machine has a shining track record with foreign policy.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 03:13 pm
@blatham,
massively, massively

mostly false

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2017/sep/24/donald-trump/trumps-mostly-false-claim-nfl-ratings-are-way-down/

he is such a dunderhead

__

When do we get to talk about jailing Kushner for his email stupidity?

That's what I'd watch on t.v. , if I watched t.v. (does anyone still watch television as television?)
oralloy

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 03:14 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
It's a clear attempt to bully and denigrate kneeling players who, Mnuchin implies, are or ought to be at the mercy of their employers if they speak or act so as to draw attention to continuing racism in the US.

As if it was racism police officers to defend themselves when black people try to murder them.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 03:16 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
You're losing your already tenuous grasp on reality. Have the decency not to address your racist, paranoid delusions to me.

You are lying of course when you falsely accuse me of racism. But I guess since you can't come up with any arguments against the facts that I post, the most you can do is make false accusations of that nature.

As for your untrue claims about lack of reality and delusions, your perpetual failure to point out a single thing I've ever been wrong about speaks to which one of us has a handle on the facts.

At any rate, if you make a silly statement to the effect that our President is somehow out of bounds for calling out thugs who support the murder of police officers, you should expect people to point out that this is a perfectly reasonable thing for our President to do.
glitterbag

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 03:39 pm
@oralloy,
No one supports the murder of police, no one supports murder......why do you think otherwise? Do you think you can just continue to lie and people will be persuaded to believe lies have become truth? You know this is nonsense, and frankly I don't know why you persist. You behave like a stupid person who doesn't know everybody else is smarter than they are.....maybe you like appearing foolish.....you have become very proficient.
oralloy

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 03:52 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
No one supports the murder of police, no one supports murder......

Wrong. BLM thugs are in favor of murdering police officers, and so is everyone who embraces the position of BLM thugs.

glitterbag wrote:
why do you think otherwise?

The are calling for police to be prevented from defending themselves when black people try to murder them, and are calling for police to be harshly punished if they do defend themselves from such murderers.

When a group strongly fights for a given position, it is a safe bet that they support that position.

glitterbag wrote:
Do you think you can just continue to lie and people will be persuaded to believe lies have become truth?

Notice your inability to challenge any of my facts?

It's because everything I'm saying is the truth.

glitterbag wrote:
You know this is nonsense, and frankly I don't know why you persist.

While liberals frequently find facts and reality to be highly inconvenient, facts and reality are not nonsense.

Why do I persist? I just have a thing for truth and justice.

Plus I think it's pretty funny that liberals are happily embracing a position in favor of murdering police officers. I know liberalism is demented to begin with, but wow!

glitterbag wrote:
You behave like a stupid person who doesn't know everybody else is smarter than they are.....

No I don't.

glitterbag wrote:
maybe you like appearing foolish.....you have become very proficient.

How exactly do you justify to yourself your inability to challenge any of my facts?
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 03:54 pm
@roger,
Quote:
I couldn't possibly watch less football than I already do.
So long as you turn your TV dial to Trump all the time, that's what matters.
roger

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 03:59 pm
@blatham,
That's what I've got a2k for.
blatham

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 03:59 pm
@snood,
To be fair, imagine yourself in the position where you must speak in defense of Trump and/or the modern GOP with the attending need to make sense.
snood

Mon 25 Sep, 2017 04:00 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

No one supports the murder of police, no one supports murder......why do you think otherwise? Do you think you can just continue to lie and people will be persuaded to believe lies have become truth? You know this is nonsense, and frankly I don't know why you persist. You behave like a stupid person who doesn't know everybody else is smarter than they are.....maybe you like appearing foolish.....you have become very proficient.

In answer to the bits I bolded:
Why does he think BLM supports murder of police? He has no reason, and it has little to do with thinking. It's just something he fixated his brain onto and just keeps replaying it like a broken demented record. There was once instance, in the first few months of BLM's existence, where a few people at ONE protest were chanting about murdering "pigs". BLM immediately denounced them, and disowned any relationship to them. That is the ONLY thing in BLM's past or present Oralloy could hang his pointed little hat on, as far as the "BLM promotes murder of cops" claptrap.

And, that bit about him behaving like a stupid person? Well, like Momma Gump said, "Stupid is..." - you know the rest.