monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Brand X

Fri 15 Sep, 2017 05:19 am
@Lash,
When Schumer and Pelosi lied about there being a deal after the 'bipartisan' dinner, it's clear they love throwing a wrench into the works.

But yes, what will they do. Trump's new nickname from the far right loons, 'Amnesty Don'. They used to call Lindsey Graham, 'Lindsey Grahamnesty'.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 15 Sep, 2017 06:01 am
Trump has called the perpetrator of today's bombing on the London Underground a "loser terrorist" who was "in the sights of Scotland Yard".

It is still unknown from where he got this information.

Nick Timothy, former joint chief of staff to Theresa May said it was "unhelpful" of the US President to suggest Scotland Yard had prior knowledge of the Parsons Green suspect.

"True or not – and I'm sure he doesn't know – this is so unhelpful from leader of our ally and intelligence partner," he said in a tweet.
revelette1

Fri 15 Sep, 2017 07:02 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
President Trump called for a "larger, tougher and more specific," travel ban in response to a terrorist attack that took place in London early Friday morning.

"Another attack in London by a loser terrorist.These are sick and demented people who were in the sights of Scotland Yard. Must be proactive!"

"Loser terrorists must be dealt with in a much tougher manner.The internet is their main recruitment tool which we must cut off & use better!" Trump continued in a subsequent tweet.

"The travel ban into the United States should be far larger, tougher and more specific-but stupidly, that would not be politically correct!"

The Hill

In contrast:

Trump’s double standard for white supremacists and Muslims (WP)
Walter Hinteler

Fri 15 Sep, 2017 08:45 am
@revelette1,
Ann Coulter called Trump an ’emperor god.’ Now she calls him the ‘worst negotiator.’
Quote:
[... ... ...]
Coulter's frustration with Trump has been building for months, but her current fury represents a dramatic escalation. In addition to original messages like the ones above [see in link], she has been retweeting video clips of Trump supporters burning their “Make America Great Again” hats.

In a Thursday-afternoon interview on WBAL radio in Baltimore, Coulter told host Derek Hunter, a contributing editor at the Daily Caller, that Trump is “the worst negotiator I've ever seen.”
0 Replies

Baldimo

Fri 15 Sep, 2017 09:46 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
So what are your thoughts on DACA? Do you think immigrants who were brought over as babies should have a pathway to citizenship?

As for the agreement, not sure about it. Trump seems to be denying it.

DACA was unconstitutional and should never have been implemented. That being said, I'm not against giving these kids/adults permanent resident status so that they can stay in the US and work legally. I don't agree with citizenship as that is going to continue to set a bad example just like Reagans amnesty did in the 80's.
Blickers

Fri 15 Sep, 2017 10:08 am
@cameronleon,
Quote cameronleon:
Quote:
The biggest mistake of Ronald Reagan was the amnesty to illegal immigrants.

After this amnesty the invasion of illegal immigrants increased waiting for a next president giving them amnesty again.

These "dreamers" at their will or not, are part of families which have entered illegally to the US.

Giving them amnesty will cause demands to do the same with the rest of illegal immigrants, and this plague will never stop.

The large majority of white people in this country are descended from immigrants who came to America after 1900.

In other words, when our grandparents first came over, the guy at Ellis Island just asked for their birth certificate, made a half-hearted attempt not to mangle their name too badly on the admittance paper, and in they came. And America grew strong and great.

Here we have kids who know no other life but America, who are indistinguishable from native born Americans, and you try to portray this as a plague that will doom us. When actually, it is just a continuation of the thing which brought the country to greatness.
revelette1

Fri 15 Sep, 2017 10:21 am
@Baldimo,
I appreciate your answering.

Quote:
I don't agree with citizenship as that is going to continue to set a bad example just like Reagans amnesty did in the 80's.

So you believe the sins of the parents should be visited on the kids?

Quote:
DACA was unconstitutional and should never have been implemented.

I don't know if it was unconstitutional, seems as though that is thrown out a lot without the reasoning behind it.

Of course this argument is already debated since Trump terminated the DACA.

Quote:
Is DACA unconstitutional?

The short answer is, the Supreme Court has yet to rule on its constitutionality, so calling it “unconstitutional” is presumptive. And while the program has vocal opponents, legal experts largely argue that the program is not only constitutional but based on commonplace practices.

What the courts have decided

In June 2016, the Supreme Court ruled 4-4 in a case that challenged Obama’s DACA program. The court remained deadlocked due to the Senate’s refusal to have confirmation hearings for Obama’s Supreme Court Justice nominee, Judge Merrick Garland. With Trump-nominated Justice Neil Gorsuch, a staunch conservative, now on the court, it is unlikely DACA would survive a Supreme Court challenge—not to mention the question of whether the Trump administration would even defend the program.

Daily Dot

If the Senate had not held up Obama's nomination for justice Garland, then it would have been ruled constitutional, but since they didn't and Trump won and Gorsuch is the newest Justice, it would have most likely been ruled unconstitutional if by some kind of weird happenstance it would have gone to the Supreme Court. It is basically political on the question of it's constitutionality.
Baldimo

Fri 15 Sep, 2017 10:37 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
So you believe the sins of the parents should be visited on the kids?

If I thought that, I would support their deportation.

Quote:
I don't know if it was unconstitutional, seems as though that is thrown out a lot without the reasoning behind it.

Of course this argument is already debated since Trump terminated the DACA.

What powers in the Constitution granted Obama the right to grant Social Security #'s and permission to work in the US for illegal immigrants?

Blickers

Fri 15 Sep, 2017 11:45 am
@Baldimo,
Quote Baldimo:
Quote:

What powers in the Constitution granted Obama the right to grant Social Security #'s and permission to work in the US for illegal immigrants?

Dunno. Why don't you ask the four Supreme Court justices who said the Executive Order was not unconstitutional? I would point out that the people who would be sending the DACA kids back are working for a department that is part of the Executive Branch, which is under the authority of the President.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 15 Sep, 2017 12:37 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:

I saw the Nixon press conference on TV when it happened. Rather's comment, far from inane, was a jab back at the fading president, it was clear to see at the time. Coming at a time when tradition and respect was considered normal at the time, it was quite remarkable.

I did too and as much as I really couldn't stand Nixon, it was inane. If you have to understand intent and sub-text with a jab, it's not a very good one.

Rather was grandstanding with Nixon. He saw the opportunity to make a name for himself and he rode it for all it was worth. It was quite remarkable, but not in a good way, and it almost cost him his job. However Rather, the Combatitive Reporter was a pioneer. He opened the way for other obnoxious media hacks who care more about their ratings and popularity than journalism. Accosta is a worthy successor to the Rather legacy and you would be mistaken if you thought most of the colleagues of either Rather or Accosta considered them then and now to be heroes. They can tell when a reporter is trying to make himself the story and so can we. The difference is that grandstanders like Rather and Accosta are entertaining to some segments of the audience who get a vicarious thrill from hearing a smartass hack mouth off to an elected leader they don't like, while their colleagues only see some guy trying to make a name for himself and taking up their time and air.

An equally inane Ratherism was the sign-off he chose for when he succeeded Walter Cronkite as the anchor of the CBS evening news: "Courage!" It was so widely ridiculed by his peers that he was forced to give it up and return to something more Cronkite-like. Although he brought it back for his final broadcast when he got booted by CBS.

All you need to know about Rather is that he was so petulantly miffed at CBS for shortening his facetime that he committed the ultimate sin of live broadcasting. He created six minutes of dead air by walking off the set in yet another obnoxious, grandstanding stunt. What a professional!

What goes around comes around though and the far more intelligent President George HW Bush schooled Rather on how to throw a jab when he hit him with his "six minutes" debacle while engaged in a rude and combative Rather interview. That time Rather didn't even attempt a comeback.

Of course, the most entertaining thing Rather ever did was to get mugged in the street outside of his apartment by some guy he claims kept uttering the now widely famous "What's the frequency, Kenneth?" Some folks thought Rather had to have made the story up, but I doubt that. It's so bizarre that it's far beyond Rather's meager creativity.

The title of Rather's 2012 autobiography is Rather Outspoken: My Life in the News I suppose some may think it cleverly creative, but it's unlikely Rather even came up with it. Anyone who writes an autobiography has to think pretty highly of themselves (and no one thinks more highly of Dan Rather than Dan Rather) but you would think that a guy who considers himself such a profoundly talented journalist would be able to write the plodding thing himself. In this case, you would be wrong, it was ghostwritten by another journalist, Mickey Herskowitz.

A first tier chooch all the way.
revelette1

Fri 15 Sep, 2017 12:41 pm
@Baldimo,
If you deny the grown up kids the right to apply for citizenship, then you are punishing them for something they had no control over regardless of allowing them to work in the country.

As far as what right, there are many rights the president has. The following is helpful in explaining the right Obama had for DACA.

Obama and Trump both right on DACA (The Hill)

The long and short of it is, as President he had the right use his Presidential discretion. So does Trump. Sessions accused Obama of over-reach, but it was not and over-reach. Obama was exercising his executive power to carry out laws made by congress. Trump exercised his own by stopping DACA.
Cycloptichorn

Fri 15 Sep, 2017 02:35 pm
@cameronleon,
Man, this is one of the dumbest posts I've ever read. Literally every one of your assumptions and assertions is incorrect.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Fri 15 Sep, 2017 02:37 pm
@Brand X,
Brand X wrote:

When Schumer and Pelosi lied about there being a deal after the 'bipartisan' dinner, it's clear they love throwing a wrench into the works.

What makes you think they lied about anything at all? I'm quite sure they very accurately reported that Trump agreed to a deal with them.

Quote:
But yes, what will they do. Trump's new nickname from the far right loons, 'Amnesty Don'. They used to call Lindsey Graham, 'Lindsey Grahamnesty'.

The Dems are splitting Trump and the GOP, and it's going to **** 'em up badly. The ability for anything that's not bipartisan to pass is pretty much zero at this point thanks to Trump's actions.

Cycloptichorn
BillW

Fri 15 Sep, 2017 10:15 pm
http://inthesetimes.com/article/19658/20-lessons-from-the-20th-century-on-how-to-survive-in-trumps-america
0 Replies

cameronleon

Fri 15 Sep, 2017 11:58 pm
@Blickers,
Quote:
The large majority of white people in this country are descended from immigrants who came to America after 1900.

In other words, when our grandparents first came over, the guy at Ellis Island just asked for their birth certificate, made a half-hearted attempt not to mangle their name too badly on the admittance paper, and in they came. And America grew strong and great.

Here we have kids who know no other life but America, who are indistinguishable from native born Americans, and you try to portray this as a plague that will doom us. When actually, it is just a continuation of the thing which brought the country to greatness.

So?

In those years the law of immigration was different.

If you want the former immigration law to be enforced today and disregard the current immigration law, then also claim to restore the law arresting homosexuals as it was 50 years ago and disregard the new law allowing them even to get married.

Your comparison of the immigrants decades ago with today's immigrants is ridiculous because you are talking of two different eras.

You must obey today's law of immigration.

Period.

cameronleon

Sat 16 Sep, 2017 12:04 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
If you deny the grown up kids the right to apply for citizenship, then you are punishing them for something they had no control over regardless of allowing them to work in the country.

As far as what right, there are many rights the president has. The following is helpful in explaining the right Obama had for DACA.

There is no need of deportation for those young adults.

Simply sending them to their countries, with an official letter of being selected for application of visa as permanent residents.

They fill up the application, and wait for their turn as the rest of applicants who try to come to the US thru the legal path according to the immigration law.

No word "deportation" will be written in their records... I promise you...
0 Replies

cameronleon

Sat 16 Sep, 2017 12:05 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Man, this is one of the dumbest posts I've ever read. Literally every one of your assumptions and assertions is incorrect.

Oh, yeah?

Explain.
0 Replies

Builder

Sat 16 Sep, 2017 12:08 am
@cameronleon,
Quote:
So?

In those years the law of immigration was different.

You missed the point completely, I reckon.

As a corporate capitalist economy, growth is the only thing that matters, so immigration, even illegal immigration, adds to the coffers of govt in one way or another.

If you want to focus upon the costs of supporting those immigrants, while not acknowledging the costs of those already on welfare (wall street is the biggest recipient of welfare at present) your argument is void of rationale.

cameronleon

Sat 16 Sep, 2017 12:17 am
@Builder,
Quote:

You missed the point completely, I reckon.

As a corporate capitalist economy, growth is the only thing that matters, so immigration, even illegal immigration, adds to the coffers of govt in one way or another.

If you want to focus upon the costs of supporting those immigrants, while not acknowledging the costs of those already on welfare (wall street is the biggest recipient of welfare at present) your argument is void of rationale.

What you are saying is that the law must be put aside because following it hurts the economy

Then, you are saying that the law about prostitution must be put aside because it hurts several families whose women prostitute themselves in order to bring more money to their houses.

You are calling for the US government accepting money like crazy from drug traffickers, gun business going up with money from terrorists, and so forth.

Get out of here! Lol

Builder

Sat 16 Sep, 2017 12:29 am
@cameronleon,
Quote:
Get out of here!

Are you drunk?